Go To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#5533 05/13/08 01:31 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
hello,

it would be great if you can redesign the GUI. In this state it looks old-fashionned, more like a random collection of functions and is therefore not very productive.

There are great GUI designs out there (Cubase, ...) which you could imitate.

Best regards,

AT Nguyen

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Hi, BB GUI has improved over the years but at rather very slow and conservative pace, probably to keep its appearance vintage BB pre-2000. I would suggest all to look at how User Interfaces are done in other complex apps like Photoshop/Photo-Brush and Sony DVD Architect for redesign ideas. Even better, go all the way to look at MS Office latest smart "ribbons".

Some changes could be :
1. Limit the double rows screen ivories to more realistic 10 octaves. (This will release some screen real estate.) Maybe increase to four rows to show each part more separately.
2. Allows the icon & button toolbars to have options for smaller neater / compact sizes and also without titles.
3. Use tabbed interfaces to organize toolbars and sub-menu dialogs. e.g. Style Category selection could be faster with shorter tabbed lists instead of one long vertical listings.
4. Besides spinner for entering values, use horizontal or vertical slider line to set value which also gives us visual cue.
5. Wide displays are becoming the norm, hence gives options put buttons on the left/right instead of top/bottom.
6. Icons color scheme can be more pastel shades instead of the bright basic colours to make it less distracting or kindergarten feel.
7. Translucent option for ivory, toolbars and windows(eg Big Lyrics, Conductor, StyleMaker) would be a great "gimmick" or helpful.
8. Multi-files can be edited and cut-paste between them.

BB is fast on even relatively slow old PC because of its tight programming. However PCs today can easily cope with GUI stuffs and memory requirements.
There are pro & con with each changes that must be weighed, e.g. tabbed interface would required two clicks if a needed button is hidden, hence reducing its accessability.

regards
michael

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
G'day Michael,
I agree, there is significant room for improvement in the BIAB UI - after 6 months I'm still having trouble finding things, but please, the lousy m$ "Stupid Ribbons" in office 07 is, IMHO, not a good idea - that would definitely drive me nuts.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
You're only paranoid if you're wrong!
Lawrie #5536 05/30/08 08:10 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
new GUI should improve in my opion these things:

- a more intuituve approach
- a more logical workflow
- a more streamlined interface (what you don't need right now should not be visible)

it would not be great if you can do one thing by many different ways. This redundancy just makes things more confusing. Concentrating on best practices should help (also to reduce the size of user manual)

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

what you don't need right now should not be visible

One of the problems with this is that many people use BIAB in different ways. So what you need right now is different that what I need right now. Someone who uses BIAB to compose will use a different set of tools than one who uses BIAB to gig live, which will be different from someone who is mainly into bringing in MIDI files to jam along to, which will be different from someone who uses BIAB as a somewhat limited, but useful recording studio. So what should be visible? If you polled folks, my guess is that the answer would be, well show me everything I (and that's I with a big capital letter) need. Might not be what you need.

I'm not saying that there can't be some consolidation and streamlining of features in the interface, just the recognition over the years that many people have posted comments to the effect of, "I don't need or use this feature, so why is it even here". As if...

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #5538 05/30/08 01:53 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
>>Someone who uses BIAB to compose will use a different set of tools than one who uses BIAB to gig live, which will be >>different from someone who is mainly into bringing in MIDI files to jam along to, which will be different from someone who >>
>>uses BIAB as a somewhat limited, but useful recording studio

I agree with that. The multifunctional aspect of BiAB is both its strength and its weakness, especially when its functions are not channeled into workflows. Until now the GUI just looks like a "table of content" of book. Redesign GUI does not simply mean rearraging the buttons but much more: you have to define clear workflows and incorporate them into the interface.
One step forward could be the fact that the user could choose at the beginning from different project types. Depending on the project type chosen the GUI is then customzed to fit. What I am saying is that functions could be grouped more together to serve the given context.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> it would not be great if you can do one thing by many different ways. This redundancy just makes things more confusing. Concentrating on best practices should help (also to reduce the size of user manual)

I disagree. Best practices allow for many ways to do the same thing. How many ways can you copy text for example (button, keystrokes Ctrl-C/Ctrl-Insert/Alt E-C, right click, menu item). Best to have the option available when people need it.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks for the suggestions.

>>> 1 . Limit the double rows screen ivories to more realistic 10 octaves. (This will release some screen real estate.) Maybe increase to four rows to show each part more separately.

There are 6 instruments that play at once, at non-overlapping areas of the keyboard, that's why there are more than 10 octaves.

>>> 2. Allows the icon & button toolbars to have options for smaller neater / compact sizes and also without titles.

These can all be done via Prefs- Display - Toolbar mode.

>>> 3. Use tabbed interfaces to organize toolbars and sub-menu dialogs. e.g. Style Category selection could be faster with shorter tabbed lists instead of one long vertical listings.

Good idea. We plan something like that for the styles window.

>>> 4. Besides spinner for entering values, use horizontal or vertical slider line to set value which also gives us visual cue.

Also good.

>>> 5. Wide displays are becoming the norm, hence gives options put buttons on the left/right instead of top/bottom.

What are you referring to here. What buttons are on top/bottom?

>>> 6. Icons color scheme can be more pastel shades instead of the bright basic colours to make it less distracting or kindergarten feel.
- I like the colors, but interestede to see what others think.

>>> 7. Translucent option for ivory, toolbars and windows(eg Big Lyrics, Conductor, StyleMaker) would be a great "gimmick" or helpful.

Yes, that would be good. Will look into it.

>>> 8. Multi-files can be edited and cut-paste between them.

Now you can import a file to append it to current file. That allows copy and paste. I agree that copy/paste between would be good too,

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Well, I somewhat disagree with all of the above (though that may not be very helpful). Take a look at Melodyne or Cubase - not exactly User Friendly (which BIAB certainly IS). I have recently had to download training videos for both of these products (in the case of Melodyne it is over 3.5 hours long - in the case of Cubase it necessitates about 9 hours of video training through 3 levels) in order to be able to use them. As all I need Melodyne for is to correct vocal pitch and timing, as opposed to full creation with BIAB, I find that over-simplification is NOT the way to go. If it needs 3.5 hours of video to learn how to pitch correct and quantise, then BIAB would need 24 hours of video at least...

As to the colour scheme - I am perfectly happy the way it is. I kind of like the bold colour scheme.

Peter, you have designed and developed what is, to my mind, the most User Friendly and most capable music generation and recording software available ANYWHERE.

What's more, although I do use Cubase from time to time (purely in collaboration situations with those who have yet to experience PTPA), PTPA is simplicity in itself. I even use PTPA to record and mix my VOICEOVERS (i.e. no music involved at all).

Thank you so much for such wonderfully designed, adaptable, user friendly programmes.

Pro viso, my opinion is that of a singer-songwriter and voiceover artist who plays some guitar (if only to support his vocals). I am not an instrumentalist (though I have studied several instruments from the wind and string sections).

Of course, there is always room for improvement but I, for one, will not be too happy if you deviate too far from the ways things already are. What next? Press one button to compose an entire song? All FX at the touch of a button are generically applied?

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
WienSam #5542 06/01/08 03:37 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

>>> 5. Wide displays are becoming the norm, hence gives options put buttons on the left/right instead of top/bottom.

Hi, Peter -

I could be wrong, but this sounds like he's looking for dockable toolbars to me, where you can take the tool bar and move it to any side of the screen (top/bottom/left/right), or detach it into its own separate window.

Quote:

Now you can import a file to append it to current file. That allows copy and paste. I agree that copy/paste between would be good too,

I read this as having a multi-document interface, where you can have several BIAB songs open in their own windows (such as Microsoft Word allows you to open word processing multiple documents open at the same time), and then move between them, as well as cut and paste between them. This prevents having to open/close individual documents, and once open, each document remembers where it's at. That way, you can more easily work between the two. I would definitely like to see this feature, as well.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
jford #5543 06/01/08 07:29 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:

I read this as having a multi-document interface, where you can have several BIAB songs open in their own windows (such as Microsoft Word allows you to open word processing multiple documents open at the same time), and then move between them, as well as cut and paste between them. This prevents having to open/close individual documents, and once open, each document remembers where it's at. That way, you can more easily work between the two. I would definitely like to see this feature, as well.

+1

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Quote:

>>> 1 . Limit the double rows screen ivories to more realistic 10 octaves. (This will release some screen real estate.) Maybe increase to four rows to show each part more separately.

There are 6 instruments that play at once, at non-overlapping areas of the keyboard, that's why there are more than 10 octaves.

IMHO, it could be more useful visually and for editing if the keyboards show actual positions of the notes being played (based on midi note or actual frequency scale). The free VanBasco Karaoke Player had a great Midi Output display for all 16 channels.

Quote:

>>> 2. Allows the icon & button toolbars to have options for smaller neater / compact sizes and also without titles.

These can all be done via Prefs- Display - Toolbar mode.

True, and BB has well-crafted 24-pixel sized icons. Suggest to add option for smaller 16-pixel icons (BB menu can also benefit from this icon size).

Quote:

Above image is a mock-up of BB main windows at 800 pixel width on a regular WXGA screen. The extra left area is simply filled with toolbars icons+texts and a portion of the Conductor Window. You can see that the extra space freed-up can be used to endless possibilities and for new features and designs like a modern part selectors/controls.

Currently BB insists to fill the whole screen display upon start-up and after that its various windows cannot be correctly re-size. We can however trick BB to use a smaller display size by adjusting Windows Display Properties before starting BB, and then without closing BB, restore back Windows Display Properties to actual size.

Hence, an easy and quick implementation here is for BB to add an option to set its Windows size manually (eg.XGA 1024x768).
Note: The Conductor Window icon text has a typo error "Conduction Window".

Quote:

>>> 6. Icons color scheme can be more pastel shades instead of the bright basic colours to make it less distracting or kindergarten feel.
- I like the colors, but interestede to see what others think.

BB could add files for user-designed icons besides the current Prefs-Colors Selection.

Lawrie #5545 06/01/08 03:11 PM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
Quote:

G'day Michael,
I agree, there is significant room for improvement in the BIAB UI - after 6 months I'm still having trouble finding things, but please, the lousy m$ "Stupid Ribbons" in office 07 is, IMHO, not a good idea - that would definitely drive me nuts.

M$ latest ribbon look is a definite shock for a lot of people, but it goes to show how much M$ is willing to "re-invent" all its products UI.
PG and teams can research and pick the best UI for future BB releases, and move away from its Atari origin to today's Duo/Quad-core era.

BB can benefit from UI methods like "sliding accordian" to hide/display icons, both sideways and vertically.
e.g. to cater for different users' roles, look at how Spybot S&D implement the left sidebar in a vertical hide/display UI.

I hope other users can also join in and give useful specific examples of UI that could work in BB.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
one improvement could be greying out those options which are not possible in the current use case. i suspect that some crashes just result from not allowed operations.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
G'day Michael,
Quote:

M$ latest ribbon look is a definite shock for a lot of people, but it goes to show how much M$ is willing to "re-invent" all its products UI.
PG and teams can research and pick the best UI for future BB releases, and move away from its Atari origin to today's Duo/Quad-core era.

BB can benefit from UI methods like "sliding accordian" to hide/display icons, both sideways and vertically.
e.g. to cater for different users' roles, look at how Spybot S&D implement the left sidebar in a vertical hide/display UI.

I hope other users can also join in and give useful specific examples of UI that could work in BB.

It's not so much a "shock" as the need to relearn products people have been using effectively for over a decade. I have customers who can't find anything in that ribbon. They just want to work, not play with what to them seems to simply be a new toy.

IMHO m$'s real angle here is - new look = increased sales 'cos people need to have "the latest and greatest" but different is not necessarily better... In the business world it is a huge cost in staff retraining. My customers mostly turn it off.

Spybot's UI is more welcome. I note that it is not dissimilar to Outlook in some respects which, of course, makes it more familiar as well.

I would welcome multiple documents and resizable windows in BIAB. I currently run dual 22" flat panels so it isn't as much of a problem but it is certainly a limiting factor. Given that we don't seem to be able to get more than 4 bars across the screen then dockable toolbars would also be welcome. That way I can get more effective use of my screen real estate.

Actually, being able to have multiple documents (songs) open and to control windows size would allow me to have a song on each screen... Good for all kinds of stuff - I use this in Noteworthy Composer a lot for copy and paste between works and occasionally templates I have setup.

--=-- My credo: If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing - just ask my missus, she'll tell ya laugh --=--
Lawrie #5548 06/02/08 05:47 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
>... It's not so much a "shock" as the need to relearn products people have been using effectively for over a decade
>... My customers mostly turn it off

vice versa, new potential customers are turned off because of the outdated GUI design. It's the question what you familar with. I think BIAB is so successful because of its content not because of its GUI. At the moment there is no other product which can compared with BIAB (GuitarPro is very much limited to guitar as instrument). Supposed there would be one with a more modern GUI design then I will go for it. There are some reviews out there where other people also complain about the GUI. I am not talking about the veterans who used BIAB over many years.

The problem is that PG music keeps adding many new features without changing much the GUI over the years. each GUI design started out with certain key concept. When you keep adding new feature without changing the GUI you will end up with a mismatch. For the veterans each new release means only a incremental learning process because they work with the product in such a long time. However, for newcomers this GUI is certainly not very intuitive and attractive.

Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
I admit that I wouldn't object to a little modernizing of the GUI, at least to bring it that much more into line with current conventions. Dockable toolbars and tabbed windows -- maybe even a dockable tabbed subwindow as in Acid or Reaper -- would be aces. You could put the Styles, the RealTracks, and our hypothetical we wants it my Preciousssss mixer down there....
Quote:

Appending doesn't work very well if you keep running into that (everybody say it with me) 255-bar limit.

And we've already got a color-scheme system; just open Preferences and click on Colors. Although I will grant that all them pastels simply don't look hep enough....

Best,
Tom Smith
Win10/64 • i7-8700K • 24 GB RAM
BIAB 2024 • Reaper 7 • Izotope MPS
AKG C1000S • IK iRig I/O Pro
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Veteran
Veteran
Dockable toolbars and tabbed windows would not go amiss. Those who want to stay with the 'Classic' look still could while others could customise the layout to their hearts' content

Follow That Dream

Sam
Karaoke King

--------------------

Turning that corner again - I have to keep following that dream, no matter what
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
Expert
Expert
G'day Guitarsonic,
Quote:

vice versa, new potential customers are turned off because of the outdated GUI design. It's the question what you familar with.

umm, I think you missed my reference - I totally endorse updates to the BIAB UI - I find it very unintuitive (sorry Peter). My comments were regarding the m$ "stupid ribbon". It is the single most complained about aspect of office 2007 that my customers have. Much, much worse that when "clippy" appeared on the scene, my customers all turned him off too. Complete waste of time and CPU cycles.

Lawrie #5552 06/03/08 01:02 AM
Band-in-a-Box Wishlist
M
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
M
BiaB UI improvement project can be piecemeal basis such as option to set main window size (instead of currently grabbing the whole screen) and dockable toolbars, or go the whole way to re-look at how PG and team would have program BiaB if they are to start today. Fresh start might need a lot of resources, new skills and open mindsets, but I think this would benefits everyone in the long term.

For starter, to replace the current Practice Window and clean up the long list under the menu item Window, BiaB New Gen has a re-organised new main control panel /dashboard / switchboard with tabbed buttons to switch between different workspaces/widgets/tools/lessons/makers/builders/etc.

Secondly, Workspaces or Windows like Chord Sheet, Notation, Leadsheet or Piano Roll can all be open simultaneously (should there be a need for this). Hence BiaB NG is now a fully multi-threaded program.

Hoping that the "Future Looks Bright" for BiaB NG

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,481
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195