Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
I don`t know why some people switch their brain to an off-status when they use a navi.
Here`s two short stories that happened some days ago here in Austria:

1) A German tourist drove into an Austrian one way tunnel (only one track, one direction to go)
The navi had told her before that she missed a turn.
So she decided to make a U-Turn in the one-way tunnel. She drove as a ghost driver until she got stopped by police.

2) An austrian women (why is it always women ) wanted to drive the exact route the navi told her. She came to a road that was closed due to heavy snowdrift. She pulled away the extra heavy barrier (however she did that???), read the warning road sign, and yet decided to pass (because the navi told her so )
She drove into a roaddigging and got injured.

Some years ago I heard about a programming error in european navis, that led people to a notch(?) at the end of a Scottish serpentine road. One person fell down there.

Some people just don`t think when they use their navi....

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
An older senior couple got lost for three days in the winter wilderness following their navi. My son and his new bride ended up in a Tuscany farm field following what the navi told them was a "shortcut" and a well-travelled highway. . . and they were still married afterwards. Lol

Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Navi? Wow. New word on John. We call that yer Gee ps.

Gee look I'm here, ps. where am I?

Um, maybe I shouldn't admit this but North Of Otterwa, I still have a Silva compass. When it gets cloudy I've been know to stop and shoot north. Just on the bush roads, we have signs on most roads. Even in other languages!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
what about the lady who, after giving her poodle a bath, put it in her microwave oven to quick dry it.

while in the army in Germany it was common to see guys warming themselves by standing in front of a microwave transmitter dish in spite of the many warning signs and barbed wire.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
New word on me too John. I thought the navvies worked upon the railway.

I guess wherever you are, that is your GPSpot - but Drs are saying it's only "urban legend" - or . . . urbane legend. There you go, John . . . shootin' off yer north again.
What a blast! - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well, another candidate for a Darwin award. Don't worry Sandra, they're not all women. There's the guy who put his motor home on cruise control and walked to the back to get some coffee...
It's all too easy to simply shut your brain off and rely on technology still, some people are so stupid that if it wasn't this it would be something else.
Deck officers on ships have to pass the test on shooting the sun with a sextant for navigation in spite of all the high tech in the world on modern ships.
You always have to plan ahead, Evan Tanner a UFC middleweight champion, rode his motorcycle alone out into the desert last summer along the California/Mexico border at about 115 degrees and ran out of gas 20 miles from nowhere. One small bottle of water and no survival gear and of course not paying attention to his fuel supply. Alone. Here's one of the toughest guys in the world who stupidly died in the desert.
Like they say, beauty is fleeting but stupid is forever.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I once worked for a firm that did navigational aid softwares and hardware to go along with them.

One time, two of us got called to go out on a ship as Tech Reps to solve a reported problem.

There came a point in our testing where I did not trust portions of the GPS data.

As it turned out, there is a simple math problem in handling GPS data where, if done wrong, you get a negative integer in there that places your location way out in space somewhere, on the other side of the sattelite. I suspected this was the problem, so I wanted to find out where the ship really was and pulled out the Sextant and started to work.

The young Ensign and some of the sailors were in the background.

From the conversations overheard, they were telling each other that the black guy was "divining" our position from the stars...

When I got done, I walked past them back onto the bridge to deliver my coordinates to the software guru and said, in a low and imposing voice, "Me find where ship NOT!" <G>

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Mac, great story
John: So, "navi" is not the right word for a navigation system? Do you say only GPS? It`s funny how we use english terms in German language, that the english speaking world doesn`t even use.
I used to think that you call your cell phones "handy", just as we do here in Austria and Germany, but I guess you say "cell", don`t you.
I think theres more examples like that.

Sandra

"GuitarVersum" YouTube Channel: Jazz Chord Melody Tutorials
Jazz Guitar Lessons | Jazz Guitar Gear Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkT05N04ICdHgmDZrGYz-5A

Lesson Shop:
https://guitarversum.com/shop

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Yes, on this side of the pond the device is generally known as a "GPS"

-- pronounced, Jee-Pee-Ess.

For, "Global Positioning Sattelite" of course.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I love the commercial where the GPS device says to the driver, "Turn right...", squeal, crash, "...in 50 feet".

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I did a cross Canada trip this summer in a motor home with my partner and her mother. We toured Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Cape Breton, Maine, Vermont, and then across the northern states back home. Where as the GPS was a very useful tool in route finding, I probably maxed its use by using hard maps and "mapquest" the evening previous to the next days journey. I found the GPS strengths to be the following: locate the nearest gas station, hospital, police station at the push of a button. Thankfully all I needed was gas station locations because we were towing a car, and accessibility was a problem at some stations. The trip scheduler was also a nice convenience as it gave a running stat on ETA, distance travelled, and distance to go. Again a great help when trying to plan stops with gas refuelling. Another nice feature was that with a great deal of accuracy it would indicate which side of the road your ramp exit would be on. My unit could tell me if I missed an intersection. All that being said, I still would never totally reply on just the GPS technology. If you let it pick the route it could send you on a road not suitable for your vehicle. It may not recognize one way streets. And so on. If you use one be sure you have hard copy maps, and importantly review where you are going along with pertinent land marks. Last comment. What a beautiful country we all live in, and I mean both USA and Canada. Each place we stopped had its own special beauty, and the people were all sharing and warmly communicative in their experiences.
Dennis

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
In some parts of rural Wales the post-codes cover a wide area. A friend lives outside Aberystwyth, Dyfed and armed with his postcode and my GPS I went to visit him. I arrived at "my destination" according to the "lady in the Nav" and went down a dirt track and ended up in a farmyard looking like a set from the film Deliverance, and was greated by the owner, who looked like the banjo playing star. I explained why I was there and before I left he showed me round the farm yard. It was full of partially restored vintage cars, 2* 1935 vintage Rolls, wooden framed Morgan 3 wheeler, and more I cannot remember. All together about 15 cars, all at least 40 years old. The house, which I entered with trepidation, was a museum FULL of seemingly priceless furniture with even working gas lamps still on the wall. The mother was sat in an enormous chair looking like the lady from the painting Salem but listening to an IPod and watching morning TV, 30+inch screen, and smoking a cigar!!!
I had a quick cuppa tea, left and followed the Sat Nav to the next "you have arrived" about 5 miles further on and there was Rolf, my mate, awaiting for me. I related my story and he said he had done similar and arrived at another farm, which was not so interesting.
Now every time I go to see Rolf I visit the farm first for an update and a cuppa.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mine is a Garmim 750. There are lots of errors in it. Or, there were. It pays to update the map yearly because they fix screwups with each update. I could write a book on the goofy places I've ended up using my GPS. But, for the most part, it has served me very well.

One thing I haven't found in error is locating hotel/motels, or any business, for that matters. It's always been spot-on with businesses, churches, etc. It's locating homes that seems to throw it off so much. I made it a point to re-rouot mine several times and save the info to favorites. Worked great after that. So far, the new update hasn't shown any errors. I'll be testing it out this May when the wifie and I take a cross country tour. We're driving from Louisiana to Wichata Kansas on across to Seattle with stops in Arizona and Utah. Should prove to be a lot of fun.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I used Microsoft Streets and Trips on my laptop when I came out to the West Coast, and I found that it would determine my position to the lane on the highway. However, I was also smart enough to map out things before I left, and if there was an error, I stayed on the road, not followed the GPS.

Having said that, the Federal Aviation Administration is moving towards sole use of GPS as navigation. It won't happen for a while, and there are still too many people using 'traditional VHF' navaids, but the small airplane that doesn't have *some* sort of GPS in it is extremely uncommon, even if it's a hand held portable.
Garmin leads the traditional manufacturer, Bendix/King in this regard. Almost all new airplanes today have a 'glass cockpit' and are often provided for by Garmin in their G1000 system. This is an integrated system that provides flight instruments, navigation and communications as well as situational awareness in one package. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=153&pID=6420 This can be found in everything from four seater propeller driven airplanes up to light jets. The newer model coming out will be for bigger jets. These devices include 'SVT' or Synthetic Vision Technology which actually draws the landscape ahead of you so that you don't accidently fly into a mountain, something called CFIT or Controlled Flight Into Terrain. It happens all too often.

The technology has gotten so good that you now can use this to navigate in instrument conditions (something you've been able to do for a while) and now even fly an approach to land in instrument conditions, all derived from GPS signals.

Sandra, your use of the term 'navi' did not confuse me, as these systems are often called 'Navigators' and they function as such. In fact, they are often called a poor man's Flight Management System, and are becoming so versatile that they can do 90% or more of what a full FMS can do in something like a jetliner. Putting in a flight plan, on some systems, will fly you from the departure airport to almost the runway of the destination airport, hands off. Of course, Air Traffic Control may have changes for you, but even those can be selected, controlled, inserted and deleted from the navigators in many cases, still allowing the autopilot and the navigator to fly the airplane.

This is a helluva lot different than when I learned how to fly!

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Russ when you get to Seattle make sure you have a passport and some time and take the ferry to Vancouver Island. I think there's one that stops about a mile or two from PG music's office. I'd go back and forth on the ferries thousands of times if I could, if the weather is clear enough the views are the best there are. But if you leave your country you gotta have a passport or you are forced to stay here, and that's gonna be a cultural shock. I think you'd fit in once you get some good wool long underwear with the button butt flap, a sealskin coat, and good mitts.

Coming into Canada us usually a breeze. Show us a library card or something, or nothing. Just smile or grin. Of course if you wear a bandanna, drive a black escalade, and have gold chains around yer neck I think the interview will last a while. BTW some of the ferries have a cheap price for just the ride, don't take the car. Our car rental rates on weekends are a bit of a deal. I got a Ford Focus, new from Enterprise, 15.99 cdn per day, unlimted milage, Friday to Monday. Can't drive my own van for that!

John Conley
Musica est vita
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
John. That's great. If I can convince the wifie I'll definitely come for a visit. I'll even bring my GPS.

Gotta visit with Gary while there too. Seattle's my old stomping grounds. It's where I was born and raised. I played music all over the place there back in the 70's. One of my favorite gigs was the Elks lodge on the west side of the Olympics. Great bunch of folks. I played at the Naval base at Silverdale. Crossed over to Bremerton tons of times playing gigs a different joints and clubs. Played up in the northern areas too. The fun gigs were the ones around the Winatchee area. They had a great Red Lion hotel there. The people there know how to have a great time.

Here's an oddity. I was born and raised in Seattle. Never, once, stepped foot in Canada. Just never had the opportunity. My wifie, however, went there several times with her boss on business trips. They went to Vancouver. The closest I ever stepped foot into Canada was when I played a gig near Spokane. Me and my mates took off one snowy night and went up some, small, road for about 40 miles. We crossed over the the border there and into an areal where there was a really cool night club. More of a joint, I guess. They had a great rock band playing there. We sat around and drank a few then headed back for our lodge. We were off that night so we took advantage of it. One of the best nights I can remember. I wished I could remember the name of that town where we played at. It was 2 towns, actually. The only thing I can remember about it was the place we played cooked. They also had a yearly event called, "The suicide run". Similar to the running of the bulls, only it was with horses. They do it every February.

Russ
Anyday above ground is a good day

Computer is Hp Pavillion Vision
6 Ghz quad core AMD processor
8 Gig memory
1 TB hard drive
6 GB hard drive
Windows 7 Premium
Loose nut behind the keyboard laugh

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,584
Posts734,713
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197