Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Written

Six years ago Janice sang harmony with floyd on his song Written. We always thought Written ranked with the absolute best of the classic country tears in your beer songs...period. The two of us have long appreciated this style and during our band days we performed some of those classics. I had been thinking about a country project and asked Janice about this tune. She was reticent as floyd had sung such a powerhouse version of it. But I prevailed smile and asked floyd his thoughts which resulted in a “heck yeah!”response.

So....a brief sojourn back to the country.

Both comments and your time to listen are most appreciated.

Thanks floyd for the many collabs and support...it’s been a fun six years!
Oh, gotta mention that we stole his arrangement...from start to finish.

Drums: NashvilleWaltzSw^6-a:HiHat , b:Sidestick, Hihat
Bass: RT 1121 Acoustic, CountryWaltz Sw 085
Piano Rhythm: MIDI SuperTrack 2259 CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
Piano Solo: MIDI SuperTrack 2250 Soloist CountryWaltzJohn Sw 085
Electric Guitar: RT 980 Rhythm CountryWaltzCleanA-B Sw 085
Acoustic Guitar: RT 3176 Rhythm CampfireSlowWaltz Sw 085
Pedal Steel: RT 1126 Rhythm CountryWaltz Sw 085

Thank you Peter for the opening acoustic guitar chord! smile

The piano and steel tracks were comped from multiple generations.

Equipment/DAW: Logic Pro X, Rodes NT1 mic and Scarlett 212 interface

Track plugins: Waves CLA Vocals, Waves Bass Rider, Waves CLA Unplugged, Waves CLA Drums, Neutron 2, Logic Pro amp sim and Ozone 8 Imager.

Mastering: Logic Pro EQ > Waves Multi Band Compressor (LinMB) > Ozone Imager > Ozone Maximizer > Ozone Tonal Balance

Written

i'm all messed up...

my world's been shattered
when you found a new life
mine was torn in two
i can't use a heart
so broken and battered
so you keep the pieces
they all still belong to you

your name is written
on my very soul
marked so deeply
and it may never let go
there's a picture of you
on the tiniest part
your name is written
on every piece of my broken heart

REPEAT CHORUS

your name is written
on every piece of my broken heart

© 1998 floyd jane

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
J&B & Floyd,
Sitting back and savouring the nuances and feeling of Janice`s wonderful vocals ( the harmony track as good as the lead)- guess there`s nothing else I want to listen to now!
Others who know country classics better than I may draw comparisons, but why not just admit this song is on a par with the best teary hits ever?
Love everything about this... and, thanks as I wasn`t around for the earlier version.

Robert

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi all
Floyd's lyrics, Janis' wonderful vocal (and those backing vocals - wow) plus a pedal steel guitar.
Who could ask for more?
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Dear Janice, dear Bud, dear Floyd,

maybe you remember that very early Stones song 'It's The Singer, Not The Song'.

Well that's not always true (there are songs even a bad singer couldn't really spoil), but when I hear you singing, Janice, it's just your voice, your phrasing, your soulfulness that draws my full attention and keeps on giving me shivers on my back. So beautiful, so emotional...

You have got to know me a bit meanwhile and you know that I'm not that country guy. But I sure can tell wether or not a composition is outstanding. And, heck, this one is so darn good.

And although I don't have any experience in the genre, I felt right from the start that this composition must have been written some time ago - scrolling down: Yes,1998 - a bit different from the way Floyd writes today, but still amazingly good.

Your and Floyd's musical connections are really something very special and precious.

Bud, you arranged the song so well and made it sound so beautiful- you really have the hang of that matter, no doubt about that !

Awesome in every respect !!!

Truly,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Country soul burner to my ears.
More Floyd fabulousness but through the J&B lens.
Loved it.

Last edited by rayc; 11/12/19 11:36 PM.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Robertkc
J&B & Floyd,
Sitting back and savouring the nuances and feeling of Janice`s wonderful vocals ( the harmony track as good as the lead)- guess there`s nothing else I want to listen to now!
Others who know country classics better than I may draw comparisons, but why not just admit this song is on a par with the best teary hits ever?
Love everything about this... and, thanks as I wasn`t around for the earlier version.

Robert

Thank you Robert for your comment on the vocals and we could not agree more with your feelings about floyd’s write.

J&B

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Nicely done - loved the vocals on this. As usual, Janice knocked it out of the part. Those harmonies are top notch, and I like how gentle it is. Loving the groove too.

Thanks for sharing smile

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds so good without Floyd! wink Just kidding.... Nicely re-done. I love the mix and vocals.

FJ/J&B, you happen to have a link for the old post from 6 years ago? I wouldn't mind hearing the differences between the two versions. Thanks!

Steve

BIAB/RB 2022, Pro Tools 2020, Korg N5, JBL LSR 4328 Powered Monitors, AKG/Shure Mics.
PC: Win11 PRO, 4 TB M2 SSD, 2 TB HD, 128 GB Memory
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Leon1
Hi all
Floyd's lyrics, Janis' wonderful vocal (and those backing vocals - wow) plus a pedal steel guitar.
Who could ask for more?
Regards,
Leon

Thanks for all Leon and glad you liked the steel.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I don't remember this one from before, must have been when I took some time off from music and didn't hang out here much.

Excellent song! floyd knows how to write them, that's for sure.

Man, I always love hearing Janice sing, especially when she brings in the harmonies! Such a great sound.

Good job on the production and mix as usual, Bud! CLA Vocals sound great! A little more reverb than when you were using Nectar maybe? Whatever, I really like the sound.

Really good, enjoyed!

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Yeah that is a classic country tune for sure, Great job Janice on the vocal, and the production is top line!! Always like good country and this is good country Cliff

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Your name is written on every piece of my broken heart

That totally slays me, just destroys me in every way possible.

So, mission accomplished!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Crossroads
Dear Janice, dear Bud, dear Floyd,

maybe you remember that very early Stones song 'It's The Singer, Not The Song'.

Well that's not always true (there are songs even a bad singer couldn't really spoil), but when I hear you singing, Janice, it's just your voice, your phrasing, your soulfulness that draws my full attention and keeps on giving me shivers on my back. So beautiful, so emotional...

You have got to know me a bit meanwhile and you know that I'm not that country guy. But I sure can tell wether or not a composition is outstanding. And, heck, this one is so darn good.

And although I don't have any experience in the genre, I felt right from the start that this composition must have been written some time ago - scrolling down: Yes,1998 - a bit different from the way Floyd writes today, but still amazingly good.

Your and Floyd's musical connections are really something very special and precious.

Bud, you arranged the song so well and made it sound so beautiful- you really have the hang of that matter, no doubt about that !

Awesome in every respect !!!

Truly,

Stefan

We appreciate that Stefan and even more given that it is not a familiar genre for you. We like to say that for us if the tune has soul then the genre is irrelevant.

Thanks for mentioning the arrangement but I stole it from floyd!

J&B

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wow! Just wow! Excellent all the way around. Great song and phenomenal voice. Wow!

Cakewalk Sonar Platinum
Focusrite 18i20
User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
The piano solo sounded really great in this, and it sounds like you guys had a lot of fun with this song in particular! Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Janice & Bud

Not unexpectedly this floyd jane song is simply stunning.

Truly wonderful vocals (those harmonies are lovely) drive a beautifully written piece.

An excellent intelligent set of lyrics, on a great musical bed.

Bud - nice work on the mix everything sits as it should and enhances the musicality of the song.

A great job all round on this classic sounding song.

Peter

User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi J&B
I do love that steel sound.
And my apologies for calling you Janis, Janice. The poor old brain lets me down at times.
Regards,
Leon

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Defiantly a tear in your beer song.
Well done on the production and great lyrics.
Congrats to all involved. Rob4580

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This team just keeps coming up with winners.

Wow, what a musical celebration.

Classy, start to finish. Outstanding vocals too (what else).

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rayc
Country soul burner to my ears.
More Floyd fabulousness but through the J&B lens.
Loved it.

Love that description. Thanks!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Nicely done - loved the vocals on this. As usual, Janice knocked it out of the part. Those harmonies are top notch, and I like how gentle it is. Loving the groove too.

Thanks for sharing smile

Thanks Deryk. Janice really appreciates that!

J&B

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195