Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

It's nearly Christmas, so time for an appropriate song to my opinion ;-).
Probably you won't think it is, when hearing something very Funky.
But it's about finding the words you have in mind and don't dare to say. At least in my country they won't say the last words of these lyrics so easily. Well... to me it's been ages ago saying them, but good to think doing it more often (to my wife).

I made this song when listening to the new styles coming with Band in a Box 2020. This one was called Shaman. I added some instruments and not changed excisting instruments. At first I made the song in an also new style: Downout. This song was more sensitive, while this one has much more beat, although both have a tempo of 103. I couldn't choose which one to place on SoundCloud and here. But I did some experimenting with this funky song on harmonies and it became my favorite.
I hope yours too!
But please, don't hesitate to tell me what I did wrong, or whatever. I learn from it!

Merry Christmas,
Hans Berkhout

https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/finding-words-fnk

The lyrics:
Finding Words
(c) HWBerkhout, 021219

Words I cannot find
While mostly they're in my mind
But words won't come along
Maybe my feelings are too strong

chorus:
'Cause I love it when you're smiling
A sunbeam will appear
But from the day you be frowning
this all will clear

Words in my head
Felt uneasy when said
But these words won't come along
I don't know what I did wrong

Chorus

Oh Words were my skill
Now no trace, or maybe still...?
I only fear, they won't come along
'cause I tried for so long

Oh words, they'd gone away
could not convince them  to stay
I only know if they come along
That would make me feel so strong

=solo=

Transponed chorus:

Yes, I love it when you're smiling
to find my words I can proceed
And if you won't be frowning
I will succeed

'Cause I love it when you're smiling
The sun won't stop to shine
Every day you keep on smiling
we get more entwined

But listen, oh listen
I have found my words:
I love you!

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Man, I almost missed this one! There is so much going on in the forum these days it doesn't take long for a song to scroll right off the front page.

Sounds good to me, Hans! Good writing and I always like your vocal.

Great guitar solo, which realtrack was that? And I love how the bring in the chorus "ahhhh" part way through the guitar solo, worked really well! I might steal that trick sometime, hope you don't mind wink

I think the only thing I didn't like was the guitar fills at the end, took away from the vocal I thought.

Mix sounds good to me too, enjoyed this one.

Last edited by BlueAttitude; 12/12/19 01:57 AM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Every day you keep on smiling
we get more entwined

I like the funky optimism of that!
Your vocal is really on top of the feeling and this is a great style you`ve discovered.
Your Christmas opinion works for me.
Love the lead guitar too!

Robert

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Well, Hans, I had the honour of listening to the other version forst , and although that is really good, too, I think you made the right decision when you chose this funky backing track.

A really good write (but that goes for all your songs anyway), your fabulous singing combined with thos special HB vox effects has (at least for me) already become sort of a trademark.

A very catchy chorus - and, yes: We should say those three magic words far more often - if they're coming from the heart.

Really, really love this thing.

Groetjes,

Stefan

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

One of your best, I think.

The funky guitars work! Mice use of the Aaahs, too.

A very passionate vocal. The vocal in the chorus gets slightly "piercing" (a bit loud and a bit too much high EQ to my ear). The verse vocals are excellent...

A nice love song. Enjoyed this.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Passionate and soulful.

Great RT on the solo!

The funk vibe well delivers the song.

"Every day you keep on smiling
we get more entwined"

That!

Enjoyed it very much.

J&B

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Great love song Hans...
I'll bet you wife really likes it...
I thought the backing tracks fitted the lyrics very well...
And I liked the lick you included on the tag (end of the song)

BTW...
I start everyday asking my wife...
How's my sexy, beautiful, young wife feeling this morning?"

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Dave, Rob, Stefan, Floyd, Janice, Bud and Jim,

Thanks for listening and your judgements.
I had to try some vocal things with Melodyne, because Joanne wasn't available (new job).
But it was very nice BB had their 2020-version that gave me some inspiration.
At the other hand, they made it difficult for me, because I made two versions, the joyful funk and the emotional Folk-Rock version.
I also placed that one on this forum. But I think the funkversion is gonna win. We need some joy in these dark days...

Dave, if you want to steal some trick of me, go ahead! I'm sure you will use them wisely. On the other hand, you have Chris at your side. Why in need of these ooh's and aah's?
And about the guitarsolo at the end that disturbs the vocals. I had the same feeling when making the song. But on the other had, it is the 'grand finale'so the voice and solo had to work together. Look at it as another trick of me. You may want to use it one day.

Rob, I'm glad my Christmas-opinion did work for you. Have you said those 3 words to your partner? And...?
Stefan, you are always so complimentful and I know you mean it as well! The version I let you hear was the one that is now also on the forum. Only the vocals must be more improved than when you heard it. at least, I hope so. But be strict with me all the time.

Floyd, I'm very sorry to damaged your ears again. I will correct it as soon as possible. And about the 'Oohs and Aahs', i'm always hesitating if I can use them. My wife hates them, on the other hand. my wife can't sing.

Janice and Bud, your statement is loud and clear. My Christmaswords were very much accepted by you. I realy feel I'm that Santa man you are singing about (not intended improperly).

And Jim, your conversations with your wife have improved a lot, I noticed. I am very happy this song contributed to this. But if I said those words to my wife, she would certainly become very suspicious ...
I liked the idea of singing a whole song about finding words and at the end of it, it appears it were only 3 words. We don't often use these words. Have to learn to do it more. and you picked that up very nicely. I love that, Jim!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like the funk but didn't see a christmas connection.... but hey, who cares?

Nice work

You can find my music at:
www.herbhartley.com
Add nothing that adds nothing to the music.
You can make excuses or you can make progress but not both.

The magic you are looking for is in the work you are avoiding.
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Love the Lyrics - Very nice bit of work!

User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
Hans,

One of your best, I think.

The funky guitars work! Mice use of the Aaahs, too.

A very passionate vocal. The vocal in the chorus gets slightly "piercing" (a bit loud and a bit too much high EQ to my ear). The verse vocals are excellent...

A nice love song. Enjoyed this.

fj

Agree with all that!! That must be Zane! Your vocals always have a Lennon vibe, which is a great thing in my book! Nice job!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans,
Nice cooking! Funky stuff. Arrangement is strong with all of these drum acrobatics smile Vocals are clear. Everything is in place.
In my opinion, vocals are too encapsulated in FX you are using. Seems like they are missing some low end. I know, vocals are very challenging, but here is what I do if I have issues with mixing. I try to "forget" that it is me singing and try to look at vocals as just another instrument track. When it is more or less balanced with other stuff in DAW, then I would play around with FX, and definitely some sort of EQ or Comp at master bus (just a little), to glue stuff together. In essence I would prefer vocals deeper dynamically and more "in mix".
Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
I really enjoyed your choice of backing tracks! Great job. Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Ember
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Guitarhacker, Jim M, Greg, Misha and Ember,

Thanks for your compliments on the song! Gives me energy to continue making songs. Or was that not what you meant? ;-)

Guitarhacker, you couldn't see the Christmas connection? but it was right there, the last 3 words. Especially when it's time for Chrismas we all got emotional feelings to eachother and express them in terms of these 3 words. At least that is what I learned about Christmas. Oh, and a tree filled with balls, lights and that stands for the bright star telliong us love is born... But maybe I mix things up.

Jim, thanks what you said about the lyrics. That feels good, because I thought I made a mistake in it.

Greg, you have to help me. What is Zane? I looked it up on internet, saw Zane Hijazi, an actor from Miami. But still I don't know what that says about me or the song. But I liked your comments and saw you don't give up on the Lennon-vibe in my voice. So now I have to accept this as a very nice compliment. Thanks!

Misha, I'm glad you're back. Missed you. Posted you privately some time ago. Thans for yor compliments and especially your advise about the vocals. I changed a bit of everything and reposted the song on SC. I also did some more panning. To me it sounds more bright and volume in the midds of the main vocals. Might be you still have some remarks on it, but I have a cold and so can not sing the vocals again for a while...

And Ember, thanks for your comment. I was only wondering which backing tracks you meant, the ones in the chorus or the Ooh's and Aah's. I bet it be the latter, because they were in tune (joke),

Hans

Last edited by Birchwood; 12/19/19 04:17 AM.

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool backtrack and vocal. Love the changes between the chorus and verses. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Hans,

I enjoyed this very much.

The groove is brilliant and it was a perfect fit for your vocals. I found this very entertaining to listen to. Thank you for posting.

I hope you have a great Christmas and New Year,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans,
To my taste vocals sit much better!
Misha.

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Thanks Hans...
For taking time to listen to “There Won't Be No Christmas This Year”...
You will find my response to your comments there...
Also I’d like to mention...
You really add to the success of this User Showcase forum!
Thanks again...

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Another winner. I really liked your lyrics and vocals in this one. The backing tracks were great also.

Super song.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,462
Members38,439
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195