Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi everyone,

Some days ago I posted a song called Finding Words. This was a funky song with a nice Christmas message.
In that post I said I made 2 version of the song. But decided to post the funky one. It was after all more joyful. But I still had that other one. that has more different vocal-parts in it and it was mostly acoustic. And I like doing some things that deviate from simpleness. don't know why, it became a habit...

In this song I used the background vocals from BB (the Ooh's and Aah's) but also a female gospelvoice. In Melodyne I changed this. a higher pitch, defiation, formant and pitchdrift to make her more yelling in the style of the song with not too much vibrations. And also I found a very good guitarsolo for this song!
So it was a pitty if I don't post that one on our forum as well. I hope you agree.
I also made a mistake mentioning the style I used for the funky one. I said I used Shaman, but that was in this song. The funk used Downout. Both have a tempo of 103.

Hope you like listening to it, even if you have already listened to the other one. Except for the lyrics they differ much, so worth a try. even though there are a lot of good songs now on the forum.

It can be found here: https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130/finding-words-folk-rock

I am very curious to hear what you think of al the aspects of this song.
Hans Berkhout

The lyrics:
Finding Words
(c) HWBerkhout, 021219

Words I cannot find
While mostly they're in my mind
But words won't come along
Maybe my feelings are too strong

chorus:
'Cause I love it when you're smiling
A sunbeam will appear
But from the day you be frowning
this all will clear

Words in my head
Felt uneasy when said
But these words won't come along
I don't know what I did wrong

Chorus

Oh Words were my skill
Now no trace, or maybe still...?
I only fear, they won't come along
'cause I tried for so long

Oh words, they'd gone away
could not convince them  to stay
I only know if they come along
That would make me feel so strong

=solo=

Transponed chorus:

Yes, I love it when you're smiling
to find my words I can proceed
And if you won't be frowning
I will succeed

'Cause I love it when you're smiling
The sun won't stop to shine
Every day you keep on smiling
we get more entwined

But listen, oh listen
I have found my words:
I love you!

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,
Interesting to hear it in this rocking/less happy sounding guise. It works fine and those bgv are a nice touch- for me the funky take just shades it.
The changeup at the last chorus works well here.
I thought your vocals were perhaps a little high in the mix in places- a good folk rock band behind you though.

Robert

Last edited by Robertkc; 12/13/19 01:35 PM.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I got an error message saying the track was not found??

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I'm sorry Dave. I took it offline for a while. I heard something bad in the vocaltracks. Had to fix it.
It's online now.

I bet you like the Funkversion. But tell me what you think of letting that Gospelvoice yell. It was a BB-track: 3531.

Sorry for the inconveniences,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hans,

This one sounds good, too. I like it just as well as the funky version - in a different way...

Again, at times the chorus vocals get a bit loud (and have a slight "harshness"). I think balancing the volume with the verse vocals should not take too much...

That gospelyell is interesting.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like both versions, maybe funky version a little bit more, but the most important thing is the Song itself - good lyrics with a clear relatable message, very melodic, catchy chorus and enjoyable rhythm.

I also like those new gospel voices really much and I'm probably going to overuse them in the near future smile

Janne

Hear My Music:

Soundcloud
YouTube

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi Floyd and Janne,

Thanks a lot for your compliments and comments.
Floyd, sorry again destroying your ears. And I read what you wrote about it in the other song. So I checked it out on this one. There were some tiny moments I noticed the sharpness/ loudness of the vocals. but I couldnt get it straight. It wasn't an eq-thing, but I am working on it.

Janne, the gospelvoices are much lower and have a lot of vibrations in them. so I couldn't use them as they were. I had to cranck them up and remove a lot of the vibrations and other drifting aspects. But these tracks had something interesting in them. So don't be disapointed if you use the track of the gospellady and go nuts...

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Nice twist - give it a completely different vibe

User Showcase
E
Journeyman
Journeyman
E
Hi @Birchwood - I like both versions - the folk rock and the funk, although puzzlingly I like the folk rock version better, despite the fact that I am totally into funk. Overall nice work on both songs - good upbeat feel to it and energy in both the vocals and the instruments and percussion.

Regarding the vocals - I didn't notice it until it was pointed out by others - in the parts where it sounds like you have layered the vocals, there seems to be some sort of phase shift or something going on where the layers are not all blending fully. Nevertheless, the song is strong enough that this doesn't detract much for me. The Oohs and aah's seemed OK on this version, and were a savvy choice.

Again, very nice work overall.

Ed Z

Soundcloud profile
https://soundcloud.com/user-415064494
BIAB user since 2019
iPad Mini, Garageband for iOS, BIAB for Windows 2020 UltraPAK, Xtra Styles packs 6-9, Windows 10 Lenovo PC, Kontakt Player, SpitFire LABS, SampleTank 4 CS, some Soundfonts

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hmmm, tough call!

I like them both, but this one just might be my favorite of the two.

Shows that a good song can cross genres and still hold up wink

User Showcase
Jim Offline
Expert
Expert
Both renditions of "Finding Words" are nice...
But I think I like this one better...
Because it seems to have a more happy uplifting vibe & feeling...
More fitting to telling a woman...
"I love you!"

I wonder...
Which version did your wife prefer?

Jim
†=☮&♥
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Jim M, Ed Z, Dave and Jim,

Thanks for listening to both versions of the song and your judgement.
It seems the folk version is ahead of the Funky one. I hadn't expected that, though I also prefer the Folk version more. I could do more with emotions in it, the other one is just joyfull and nearly reggae. That twist to -say- reggae was not realy intended. It came when I was singing the other vocals in the chorus and heard what it did to the song.

In the folk version I worked more with Melodyne for all kinds of vocal effects (and the gospeltrack I mentioned before).
Jim M, as you mentioned, you could make a totally different song, with the same chords and lyrics. I like that to. Disadvantage of that is you want them both.

Ed, nice to read you're a funk freak and still choose for the Folk version. According to the vocals I heard some problems as well. Don't know if that is a phase thing or something else. And like floyd mentioned, the sound of the vocals was sometimes a bit too high (hurting his ears). I did some changings with the help of Total Balance2 from Ozone and saw it had to be nicer now. I changed the original with that one on SC. Problem with my ears is I can't hear the very high tones too well.

Dave, you actually said the same thing I mention in this post. And that is what I like about making songs. You have many directions to choose from. It remarkable, and nice, to notice how the vocals of a straight song also fit in a swing song. Without any changing of the singing. I sometimes do that with my own songs to get me new ideas.
And Jim, you're right about why you prefer the Folk version, normally spoken... ButI have a woman who differs from that behavior how women (should) respond on sweet, romantic songs. She prefered the Funky version...

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I like this version - though not the incongruous guitar solo.
The stacked vocals get a little strident towards the end - almost like there's a ring modulator in their as well.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is a very cool song . Super vocal and harmonies on this. Loved the back track. One of my favourite songs of yours

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Hi Hans,

I heard a beta of this version a couple of days before and I mentiones that if I were you I'd keep vox and backing track a bit closer to each other. And, yep, you did and this sounds soooooo good now.

Now I like this version as much as I like the funky one - like I said so often: A good song can always be interpreted in more than one way.

Looking forward to what you'll be coming up with next, because I really like your 'stuff' a lot.

Groetjes,

Stefan

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
This was sounding quite nice until the chorus , did you use a virtual voice for the backing it sounded like a dalek kind of backing.

I agree with others.. it would benefit from a refit on the chorus side, because the verse was sounding great.

Thanks

win 10 64 bit 16gb,i7 chip, ssd 500gb, m-audio air, ,Roland BK-7M, 1000,shure sm7b,sonar,acid,mixcraft, variety of plugins.Sample tank 3,Kontakt. TC Helicon Voicelive 3 2 .
https://beatmaster1.bandcamp.com/releases

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hello Ray, Scott, Stefan and Beatmaster,

Thanks for your comments on this version of Finding Words.

Ray and Beatmaster, I think you had a point with the stacked vocals. I had some doubts as well, but then suddenly things became hectic here, so i had no time to do anything about it. But I changed it now. I hope this problem is solved now. But please keep coming with your comments if this kind (but also to give me compliments, of course...).
And Ray, I had to use google on the word incongruous and then laughed. But I changed that solo as well, although my brother loved it. Now I used an acoustic guitar to play the solo. Is your house still save overthere, with all those fires, Ray? My sister came over to escape from the heat (and for something else)

Scott and Stefan, I'm a bit dissapointed you haven't noticed these faults I made. Scott even called it one of his favortites, while the vocals were like [*****]. And Stefan is even looking forward for new stuff from me. No just joking. I appreciated your comment on the song. It gave me spirit to stand the critics from the other two.

Have a nice Christmas,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Too close a call to pick a favorite. They both have appeal albeit
in a different way. It's fascinating to hear how well the same
write works in different genre contexts.

Both are really well done...and enjoyable to listen to.

We can also appreciate the amount of time and thought
that obviously went into these productions.

Happy Holidays!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Hans.
With vocals adjusted on Funk version I do not know...
I like this, Folk Rock version slightly better as a whole. Just a matter of taste. Both done very well. Thank you for sharing!

Misha.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,396
Posts732,518
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 193