W
Wiz Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
Here is this weeks new song..8)

My guitar gently weeps

BIAB 2010 is providing the drums and bass...rest is me...8)

cheers

Wiz

Wiz #58922 02/03/10 09:16 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
S
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
S
Good job Wiz!!! I am currently working up my originals with RealDrums and realbass...

Veteran
Veteran
Sounds great Wiz! You are a very talented guy!

As more and more people post their projects, it is bound to happen that some of the songs will be covers of other people's copyrighted material. Much as I would LOVE to hear what people are doing with cover songs, The forum rules forbid that.

<quote from forum rules: >--------------------------
8. Posting (or requesting) links to songs, music or other copywrited material is forbidden. You are allowed to post links to your own original songs.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Bummer. I hate playing the role of "rule nazi", but i figure it is only fair to PGMusic that we forum users don't get them into any legal trouble. Posting of user-recorded covers has happened a couple of times recently, and it's probably time to post an awareness of the implications and let the people self-moderate

Pat Marr #58924 02/04/10 04:55 AM
W
Wiz Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
I had no idea...I apologise..and will not continue to do so.

sorry

Wiz

Wiz #58925 02/04/10 05:13 AM
Veteran
Veteran
<rule nazi mode OFF>

;-)

I especially liked the way you did not try to duplicate the original version, but instead added your own creative accents, all of which were consistent with the feel of the original song without DUPLICATING the original. That's cool. It makes the whole song new again.

Pat Marr #58926 02/04/10 07:35 AM
Veteran
Veteran
This is super! I really like the arrangement, the vocal and the guitar parts.

What did you use for the violin part?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #58927 02/04/10 01:39 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Wiz,

That is the first time that I had ever heard that song so I found it on youtube and listened to it. I like your version better than the one performed by George Harrison, Ringo Starr, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Elton John and Jeff Lyne.

Steve

Steve
retake #58928 02/04/10 02:14 PM
W
Wiz Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
W
thanks everyone ...

the violin part is actually a mellotron sample..8)...so, funnily enough, its a sample of a tape loop, of a cello.......8)....dont you just love technology....

I wanted something , sort of from the era, as a melodic intro, and thought that might work, whilst being quirky enough....

RE not being like the original..

thanks Pat, thats exactly what I was going for....8)...

Re the original version...

there is a fantastic version on you tube, of the demo recording of george doing it with just acoustic guitar...and its really worth a listen....I was never really into the beatles, but the last couple of years (i am 45) I have started to appreciate them...

cheers and thanks..

Wiz

Wiz #58929 02/04/10 02:46 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Wiz, mate! This is brilliant!!! I like it better than the original as well. Love the whole arrangement, vocals are outstanding and the mix is lacking NOTHING. Man, this is really great!!!!

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
MikeK #58930 02/04/10 02:59 PM
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi All,
Another great cover Wiz, super mix, keep up the great work.
Regarding copyright:
It would be a great shame to miss hearing some of the great covers and their own songs by Wiz and other members which got me thinking that it might be a suggestion to have a seperate forum or forum section where all members could post their efforts in one place for all to hear and easily find. I'm sure I have missed a lot of songs that have been posted.
Regards, Jeff.

JBlue7 #58931 02/04/10 03:07 PM
Expert
Expert
Cool!
Gudo

Desktop; i7-2600k, 8 GB mem., Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
Laptop: i5-2410M, 4 GB mem, Win 10 Pro, BIAB 2017; RB 2017 - latest build
JBlue7 #58932 02/04/10 04:04 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi All,
Another great cover Wiz, super mix, keep up the great work.
Regarding copyright:
It would be a great shame to miss hearing some of the great covers and their own songs by Wiz and other members which got me thinking that it might be a suggestion to have a seperate forum or forum section where all members could post their efforts in one place for all to hear and easily find. I'm sure I have missed a lot of songs that have been posted.
Regards, Jeff.

I agree for the most part. However, there would have to be some legal stipulations on the part of PGMusic. If this great company would create such a thing, it would have to be under specific conditions, the main one being (as I have seen on other sites allowing covers):

You can only post a cover tune if you have written or a digital (from the Harry Fox agency, for instance) proof of permission to publish the cover. SoundClick is over 4 million members strong and they do have a "Cover Song" chart where people can upload their interpretations of an original, copyrighted song. However, they are very strict about the digital licences.

It's a great idea. But, I'm not sure who here at PGMusic would volunteer to "police" this rule and at the same time, enforce it. It's a really touchy situation, to say the least.

Cheers,
Mike

Cheers,
Mike

My Music * Asus ROG Strix G15CF 32 GB DDR4 4TB HDD + 1 TB SSD NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 8GB Win 11 AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2024 UltraPak Build - Latest
MikeK #58933 02/04/10 06:37 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Wiz, mate! This is brilliant!!! I like it better than the original as well. Love the whole arrangement, vocals are outstanding and the mix is lacking NOTHING. Man, this is really great!!!!

Cheers,
Mike

Mike said it all!

Wiz #58934 02/05/10 06:55 AM
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
really good Wiz.Im curious to know if the guitar strumming parts are biab or did you do that part of the track?frank

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
MikeK #58935 02/05/10 06:58 AM
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
"Wiz, mate! This is brilliant!!! I like it better than the original as well."...Look its a very good version but "better"than the original I dont think so just my humble opinion.frank

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
JBlue7 #58936 02/05/10 08:26 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi All,
Regarding copyright:
Regards, Jeff.

True, it's a shame.. but the shame is on the copyright lawyers who diligently monitor places like this looking for people to make examples of. The interesting thing is that many of the positive comments about Wiz's song(s) have been about what he did DIFFERENTLY than the original. Those same techniques could just as easily been applied to his own song.

Rather than fighting an uphill battle to get permission to post covers, I would rather see us all take the same Path PGMusic took when they were taken to task for their JAZZ GUITARIST program years ago (which featured actual copyrighted songs). They responded by creating styles that SOUND LIKE well known songs, but which lack the characteristic riffs. It was a great compromise, because it avoided legal bruhaha while allowing PGMusic to continue offering a great product.

I challenge all of us to take Wiz's "deviation from a theme" to the next level and base an idea on an actual song, but change the words and melody (the only parts that can be legally protected)

The results would be even cooler because the song will be yours. I even think it would be OK to say the song is "influenced by the Beatles' WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS"

At this point, Wiz could keep the whole song as is and replace the vocal track with a new melody and end up with a song that nobody could hassle him about.

Pat Marr #58937 02/05/10 08:30 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

At this point, Wiz could keep the whole song as is and replace the vocal track with a new melody and end up with a song that nobody could hassle him about.

If Wiz should choose to do this, I'd love to hear the end results posted here again.

Wiz, you're way too talented to be recording other people's stuff anyway. You should use your time to create an ever larger collection of original material. Your voice and performing and mixing are all very good and totally marketable.

Pat Marr #58938 02/05/10 09:33 AM
Veteran
Veteran
I just went back and listened to your song again Wiz. Except for the guitar solo (which is pretty much note for note like the original) and the vocal track, there is NOTHING in your recording that could be challenged by a copyright lawyer.

Please re-record the solo and vocals with your own ideas and repost.

We may be onto something here. I can't wait to hear what the Wizzer comes up with.

;-)

Pat Marr #58939 02/05/10 01:23 PM
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
It is still the same song, covered by the same rules and laws, and whoever owns the rights must give permission to anyone using it, or at the least that "anyone" must pay royalty fees to use the song.

I'm not a lawyer, but I know that much about it.

--Mac

Mac #58940 02/05/10 02:13 PM
Veteran
Veteran
He took pains to make his version different, and it is. He does not use any of the "trademark" licks from the original except for the guitar solo.

If he omits the melody, lyrics and guitar solo, essentially what he has is a song that uses the same chord pattern, period. No problem. LOTS of songs use identical chord patterns without infringement of any kind. Chord patterns can't be copyrighted

Now if he's dumb enough to name it "while my guitar gently weeps" while using the same chords, then he might get a phone call from a lawyer or two. But Wiz doesn't strike me as a dumb person.

I've noticed that many current pop and country songs use the recurring chord pattern from Pachelbel's Canon ... and often you don't even notice because the melody/tempo/instrumentation is so different it isn't even remotely reminiscent of the Canon.

any chord pattern + your lyrics + your melody = your song.

How many songs from the 60's were built around C-Am-F-G?
How many blues songs use the same 3 or 4 chords?

True, some chord patterns are more unique and recognizeable than others, but they still can't be copyrighted. WHy not take advantage of a basic idea that you know has already been widely embraced? This is how genres happen.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,399
Posts732,552
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199