User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

So when James and I first started thinking about collaborating, he sent me, along with "I'll Love You, Always" (posted earlier), a mix of instrumentals he had been working on. And then, I think perhaps as an add on, James also sent a few poems he had recently penned. The opening lines of one of those poems struck me, particularly given the environment we all find ourselves in . . . so I picked up my guitar, and from there this song was born. The poem was titled "Hand in Hand with Me," but for hopefully obvious reasons, we've decided to change the title of this song to "Wake Me Up".

In its construction, I ended up using the third verse of James' poem as a chorus, and then to give the song some sense of build as it progressed, worked in three key changes. I had originally planned a Paul Simon "Graceland" (African) type vibe supporting this, but ended up veering in a somewhat different direction, hopefully retaining an intended degree of some rock element.

Anyway, here's the culmination of it all. Hope you enjoy it.

Here's the song:

WAKE ME UP

Here are the lyrics:

Oh, wake me up when these strange times are over;
when foolish things have ceased to be.
We’ll walk around and tarry a while,
while you are here, hand in hand with me.

Oh, wake me up when the madness is gone,
and you are back and here with me.
Come, take my hand—and make life worth living—
and stay, if you can, hand in hand with me.

The days are gone when we walked together
in pastures fresh, with sights to see ...
Oh, take my hand, for love is worth having
And stay, if you can, hand in hand with me.

The night is dark and endless, I fear—
and time’s ahead, where you may not be.
By morning's light, I’ll dream once more
of the only love who is meant for me.

Oh, wake me up when you’re back once more
And call my name so tenderly . . .
I’ll gaze upon the sweet soul you are,
And pray, hand in hand, that you’ll walk with me.

The days are gone when we walked together
in pastures fresh, with sights to see ...
Oh, take my hand, for love is worth having
And stay, if you can, hand in hand with me.

Oh, wake me up when these strange times are over;
while you are here, hand in hand with me.

And here's the band:

Guitar: RealTracks 900: Acoustic, Strumming FolkRockWaltz
Guitar: RealTracks 898: 12-String Acoustic, Strumming FolkRockWaltz
Guitar: RealTracks 862: Electric, HardRockWaltzSustain Strummed
Guitarron: RealTracks 2823: MariachiWaltz
Mandola: RealTracks 3127: Rhythm AmericanaFolkWaltzAndy
Mandoin: RealTracks1430: Rhythm PopWaltz
Vocals: RealTracks 3064: Vocal Oohs, Rhythm Pop3-part
Drums: PopRockWaltzMarch

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Dear 'Deej56' and 'musician17'...

Based on my experiences of working with other songwriters on this forum, I've come to the happy conclusion that 'successful' musical collaborations could be compared to the joy that is felt between lost twins when they find each other, again smile.

Wake Me Up has the sound of a pair of traveling troubadors who wander from village, to town, to cities, regaling their found audiences with songs that tell of their adventures, their loves, their tragedies, and more. The loping rhythm you achieve with that powerful chorus of strummed guitars lends a liberating, all-is-well feeling to the song that would irresistibly invite its listeners to sing along with you loud and strong. The rising key changes escalate the emotion in the song in an exuberant crescendo that suggests it might never end.

The song's theme of undying friendship and love is sturdy and reassuring. Gentlemen, you really made the clouds part and the sun shine with this production!

Sincerely,

LOREN/'bluage'

Last edited by bluage; 04/10/20 07:11 PM.

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Deej and James,

What a wonderful listen!

As Loren so eloquently says in the post above this one, "Gentlemen, you really made the clouds part and the sun shine with this production!" He's hit that proverbial nail fair and square on the head.

I love the 6/8 feel. It's reminiscent of so many folk songs that it immediately tugs as the strings of familiarity and settles very comfortably on the psyche. The lyric language is a standout for me. I love how you've incorporated phrases and words from times past. This language ices the folk song cake with a flourish of pizzazz.

Then there's Deej's singing... WOW!!! The writing, the arrangement, the production and the presentation are super.

And if that wasn't enough, the key changes lifted my heart and soul and put a smile on my face. Perfect!

I find it very rewarding to listen to a song as polished as this one.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thank you so much, Loren and Noel, for such beautiful and wonderfully detailed comments!

Just wanted to say a public word of thanks to Deej56. What a tremendous job he's done on these lyrics of mine - and I could tell from the first, demo recording he sent me that he really, really worked so hard on it - which, as a lyricist, one always appreciates :-) And the work has really borne fruit, I feel - AND he's an absolute gentleman, a complete pleasure to work with at all times ... there hasn't been a single stage of the creative process when he hasn't asked me for what I personally thought, etc., even when I was more than happy to let him work unhindered! The end result says it all, I feel ... so thanks Deej - hope we can work again together sometime, whenever time allows and inspiration moves for both of us?

I'll happily take the credit for the "words from time past", Noel, haha ... glad you liked them! The rest (vocals, music, production, mix, etc. etc. etc.) is all Deej at his best :-)

It's worth it all, as Loren so eloquently says, when a collaboration is as successful as this one. I'm sure you'll understand me, therefore, when I say that I feel like I'm walking on Cloud Nine at the moment :-) Thanks Deej, one more time, and thank you - every single one of you - for being ever so kind as to listen and comment!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Good song! Excellent writing and vocal. Also really like the feel to this track, great groove.

Collaborations are always fun to listen to, and this is a very good one indeed, well done.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
A nice collaboration, y'all.

Has a sort of "Pete Seeger feel" to it. Nice use of the acoustic guitars.

The modulations were a good idea and worked well for the song.

Deej - your vocal is really well recorded and well placed in the mix. Very well done.

fj

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej & James, this is a wonderful collaboration. You guys each have enough talent to make engaging music, but together the result is much more magic than just one plus one. Really cool 3-quarter song, and the modulations is a great idea. Well done!!

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej & James,
There`s a rousing feel to those acoustic guitars driving this fine collaboration. You took me back to folk club open mikes where this song would be right at home... in fact its hard not to clap and sing along.
Excellent lyrics and a standout vocal- well done!

Robert

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks everyone for all of your kind comments - I'll, as graciously and gratefully as I possibly can, accept the wonderful words said about the lyrics and thank you all for them once again ... whilst joining all of you in the deserved compliments to Deej for every other aspect of the collaboration. I'm so glad you all liked it - thanks again and enjoy a wonderful weekend, whether you celebrate anything or not during it.

This is the best music forum I know of - so, again, a word of thanks to PGMusic, too, for enabling all this through this amazing so-much-more-than-a-mere-product of yours!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is what happens when two outstanding musicians get collaborate on a song. I knew it was going to be a winner before I even heard it!

But when I did........WOW! This is absolutely fantastic. Love the vibe you have on this one. A great folk song in 6/8. You had me from the first measure. Outstanding backing tracks topped with a super vocal and fantastic lyrics.

I bet you can guess that I really liked this one!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool collaboration Excellent vocal harmony and backtrack

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Glad you enjoyed it, Mario and Scott - thanks for listening and for your wonderful comments!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
"Oh, wake me up when these strange times are over;
while you are here, hand in hand with me."

Great lines and even more so nowadays.

Well done guys. The best of each of you shines like a
beacon through this one.

The excellent lyric is carried so nicely by the vocal. And
that vocal is well processed and sitting just right in the mix.

Others mentioned the acoustic guitars....they are nice indeed.

Collabs are fun on the forum and this is a fine example!

Oh, and the waltz groove worked well.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great collaboration Deej and James! Your vocal is setting right in the pocket! Great work all around! Thanks, Torrey

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Rousing and enjoyable.
Lovely mix, excellent vocals, stirring guitars, & an excellent arrangement.

Excellent collaboration and a really top notch song.

Peter

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Thanks everybody for your kind words! It was great fun to provide the words for Deej to do his usual magic thereupon! :-) Thanks again for listening!!!

User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Loren, Noel, Dave, Floyd, Robert, Marty, Mario, Scott, J&B, Torrey, and Peter:

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you all. Really appreciate the listen and glad this one resonated. It was a lot of fun to put this one together and James was a pleasure to partner with. My best to all of you and hope you and yours are staying safe and well.

Deej

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej & James.

Such unusual and good collaboration. Listens very well. Lyrically and musically very supportive of our current situation. Well done in all respects. Congrats to both of you! Enjoyed it and thank you for sharing.

Misha.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
When things are normal, I go to several renaissance faires each year and listen to a lot of old songs with wonderful melodies. This sounds like it came from that trove of music. Very nicely done, and of course having that great vocalist helps.

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Misha and TuneMonger:

Thanks so much for the listen and the kind comments. It's much appreciated by us both. Glad you enjoyed the tune.

My best to both of you,

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,455
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195