User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Hi, all:

I hope everyone is doing well and keeping safe. John Vaughan had sent me the original lyrics to this song almost two months back now, when things just started getting strange . . . and I had been lingering on it. Mostly because in our current environment it seemed, well, just a little too sad, and it was admittedly hard to muster the motivation. I finally turned back to it. I’ve revised the lyrics some degree to fit the melody, but John’s vision remains: the loneliness of separation in these not so bright times. I hope what we've done works, and that you enjoy your listen. Best and safest wishes to all of you!

Deej

Here’s the song:

IF ONLY

Here are the lyrics:

All the streets were bare—
the silence filled the air,
as I walked through
the places you and I once knew.
And you were everywhere . . .
A ghost under the lights
that lined these roads,
and dark apartments, row by row.

If I could only walk with you
hand in hand again,
by a river, by a stream,
in a park, not just a dream.
If I could only be with you
on some warm summer night
drinking wine and dancing
to the rhythm of life—
How good it would be
just you and me . . .
If only.

What's Armaggeddon?
The road they say we’re heading
down to the end,
with no cure for our suffering.
I'd risk it all to hold you tight,
to have you by my side tonight—
anything it takes I’d sacrifice.

hand in hand again,
by a river, by a stream,
to the rhythm of life—
How good it would be
just you and me . . .
If only.

And the churches in defiance,
from the altars old hymns play.
And they float upon the desperate wind
then the echoes fade away.
And they all hold as much promise as
the helpless words they pray—
If they ever see the light of day,
who’ll listen anyway?

I reached home like before . . .
I didn’t even lock my door—
there’s nobody out there,
and I’m past the point that I care.
So I’m sitting here needing you
and there’s not a damn thing I can do—
You’re too far away—
I’m stuck here and you’re too far away . . .

hand in hand again,
by a river, by a stream,
to the rhythm of life—
How good it would be
just you and me . . .
If only.

And here's the band:

RealTracks: 1036, Bass, Electric, NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks: 3267, Cello, Background CelticAirFlowingNatalie Ev 085
RealTracks: 3541, Guitar, Acoustic, Rhythm, ClassicRockSlowFinger Strum
RealTracks: 1038, Guitar, High-Strung Acoustic, Rhythm NorthernRockBallad Ev 065
RealTracks: 835, Guitar, Electric, Rhythm
RealTracks: 1767, Piano, Acoustic, Rhythm Pop16 Ev16 085
RealTracks: 2692, Organ, Rhythm Modern Pop Slow
RealTracks: Mix of Backing Vocals (Oohs, Aahs, and Mmms)
RealDrums: PopRock16ths^05-a:Brushes, b:Snare, HiHat

Last edited by Deej56; 05/18/20 06:53 PM.
Deej56 #598074 05/18/20 08:28 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Ok, just listened to it twice through - here is my first reaction and here are my first impressions:

1) I want to start by mentioning the lyrics, first of all. Mr Vaughan has nailed this one. Extraordinary lyrics which were, it feels, just begging for someone to write a melody to them, as you have done. Congratulations to him - they read just incredible.

2) THIS is what you are best at. Writing songs with pure raw emotion in them, that touch the heart because the writing drips with sincerity. You seem (if you'll allow me this comment) to write from what you know, you certainly emotionally invest yourself in every note and THAT's what sets you apart, both as a singer and as a songwriter, from so many singers and songwriters that sing and write as if they're singing and writing about events in yesterday's newspaper! ;-) I don't want to overflow with praise, but you ARE a world-class songwriter and your singing is also in that category due to the sincerity you exude.

3) As for this song itself: this is a slow (ish), downtempo song that is so understated, so calm ... you seem to just present the story to the listener and let him or her make their own mind up as to the story you are telling them. One that I shall be listening to more than just the one time - and easily, already (to my mind) one of your best - if only because of the understated yet entirely heartfelt way you present it in. No fancy chords, no crazy modulations, no artificial effects, etc. etc. etc. ... just a story, extraordinarily written by Mr Vaughan, beautifully, sincerely, simply presented by yourself.

Congratulations to both of you - great stuff.

Deej56 #598076 05/18/20 08:42 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi DeeJ ...

Well, James beat me to the punch as I was listening for the 2nd time. I agree with all he said.

I hear a little Tommy Shaw (lead guitarist for Styx) in your vocal delivery. Your voice is a little more edgy than his (and in a great way!) but for, a heard a felt that influence.

My favorites lines:

Drinking wine and dancing
to the rhythm of life—
How good it would be
just you and me . . .
If only.

As simple as they are, those lines blew me away. I don't know if those were originally yours or John's but, either way, they're killer for me. This has a great, passionate delivery that you are so good at. It's my favorite from you so far. Congrats to both of you! Wishing you the best and be safe ...

Alan

Last edited by Al-David; 05/18/20 08:43 PM.

BIAB 2022 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win10*8GB DDR4*I5-6th Gen*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120 Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

Deej56 #598095 05/19/20 02:07 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Super stuff.
Almost everything clicks ad makes this a strong, sad, emotive piece.
The only hold backs I can hear are
1. the room sound on your voice - the band sounds lush and together but your voice seems to be from down the hall. If you add a common reverb to the band and your voice you might be able to use the sound to your advantage.
2. The click of the kick really doesn't suit the sound of the rest...it's not easy to find a kit in REALDRUMS that doesn't click. It may be that, if you're not inclined to EQ it you could avoid it with a midi kit.
Lovely song.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
Deej56 #598110 05/19/20 02:49 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I like the phrasing, and I really like where the vocal sits.

This is neat.

The cello embellishes just perfectly. The build works so well.

Really well done.

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Deej56 #598119 05/19/20 03:35 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Deej,

What a good expression of pain and sorrow! I listened several times to it. I really like that emotion in your singing.
There is one danger in liking your songs: a depression lurks around the corner then, , were it not that it is sung so beautifully. that compensates that danger a lot ;-)
You can really be proud of yourself with this one. Oh, and don't forget the very nice lyrics from John Vaughan. He sure knows how to write.

Stay safe,
Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
AudioTrack #598130 05/19/20 04:32 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: VideoTrack
I like the phrasing, and I really like where the vocal sits.

The cello embellishes just perfectly. The build works so well.

I agree with Trev on these observations. And the acoustic guitar works nicely, too...

Deej56 #598132 05/19/20 04:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Deej, this is absolutely fantastic. Your vocal was super, I could feel the pain in your voice! John wrote some fantastic lyrics but you brought them to life!

Your backing track and mix were spot on.

When I first started to listen the first artist that came to mind was John Prine. I could see him singing this song.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Deej56 #598378 05/21/20 05:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Oh, man, you have the perfect voice, Deej. I really like the way you built this song. God, this song is so sad. John really packed the lyrics with such strong emotions, and you brought them to life. Great work.

Enjoy whatever happens!
marty

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/@babumusic51
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/marty-straub
and https://soundcloud.com/babumusic-5080285
Band in a Box, Reaper, Cakewalk, Ozone 11
Deej56 #598431 05/21/20 12:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
Your emotion packed delivery is the highlight of this for me.The cello and simple build to the arrangement works very well; nothing detracts from the attention your voice commands..
which sits nicely in the mix (I agree with RayC that the vocals don`t gel completely with the instruments as far as reverb goes).
Very, very good!

Robert

Deej56 #598449 05/21/20 03:07 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej, Your voice slays me. So emotionally powerful. The cello works well and John's lyrics are great. I also agree with RayC's comment on the vocal sounding down the hall. I would have preferred a more in your face slightly processed vocal. This is subjective and certainly can't take away from a killer final product. Well done both of you, Tom

Deej56 #598855 05/24/20 01:19 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Excellent song with good words, sung by a voice that rips your heart out. Listened to it multiple times. Great work!

Windows 10, Intel Core I5 10400, 16 gig ram, Scarlett 6i6, Komplete keyboard, Sony Acid Music Studio 11, BIAB 2020 UltraPlus Pak
Deej56 #599096 05/26/20 03:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Melancholy to the max but extremely well written.

And your emotion packed vocal powerfully delivers that lyric
along with the great melody.

The production is spot on with a great selection of
RT's. Janice mentioned how well the organ works. Sometimes
organ RT's are "just there" but this one adds a lot.

Kudos to you both!

J&B

Deej56 #599138 05/26/20 09:06 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
This is an excellent song. Perfect backtrack for an excellent lyric. Just loved your vocal. Well done

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
Deej56 #599178 05/26/20 12:32 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Really well done song!! The lyrics are really compelling, and you created a melody which matches them perfectly!! Always love your vocals!! Enjoyed this a LOT!!! Take care. Greg

Deej56 #599196 05/26/20 01:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Top notch song - lovely vocal, very emotive and complements the strong lyric.

Band sounds really good and the song has a lovely melody.

Nicely done.

Peter

Deej56 #599214 05/26/20 03:47 PM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
James, Alan, rayc, VideoTrack, Hans, Floyd, MarioD, Marty, Robert, Tom, TuneMonger, J&B, Scott, Greg, and Peter:

Thanks to you all for the listen and kind comments and feedback. As I said, it was a tough one to “get up” for doing given it’s sad lyric and feel, but I’m happy it has seemed to resonate. A few responses to come of the feedback:

rayc, Robert, and Tom: My biggest concern was whether the vocal sat well enough in the mix—though I had made adjustments even before posting. I suspect the best answer would be to record the vocal again in a different space, but have given it another go in a revised version. I’ve updated the link above. Perhaps better, but still not perfect? I’ll leave that to your ears. Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

Mario: If only John Prine were still around to sing it! Another sad outcome of our current crisis.

Jancie & Bud: The organ is my favorite part of the song. I had ambitions of using the Gospel backing vocals in the bridge as well, which I thought would be a good combination, but it just wasn’t working out well, so went with a more standard mix of oohs and aahs. Thanks for noticing!

My best to you all! Keep well, stay safe!

Deej

Deej56 #599238 05/26/20 04:42 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Really some thoughtful introspective lyrics very emotionally delivered. Nice collaboration.

Deej56 #599504 05/28/20 06:43 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Deej,
The revised mix on your vocal sounds better to me; this is a very a fine song!

Robert

Belladonna #599713 05/29/20 11:46 AM
User Showcase
D
Deej56 Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
D
Belladonna,

Thanks much for giving this a spin--happy it worked for you.

Regards,

Deej

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,560
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200