#598268 05/20/20 06:15 AM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
This is the second song I have posted here, and I enjoyed getting your feedback on my first song. I hope you will give your attention to this track for few minutes, and write me a note with your thoughts, good or bad.

I suppose this is not meant to be a pop or commercial song, as it is about the life of trees. More of a singer-songwriter piece, something unique to the songwriter. Trees have always fascinated me; their beauty, their longevity, their ability and endure and thrive in each season. Are trees cold in the winter? What do trees dream?

Once, while driving in winter, and looking at the snow-covered trees, the opening line "Well the bare sweet trees aren't cold at all" came to me.

As for BIAB, this track has been in and out of BIAB a number of times. I was unsuccessful at first in finding a style I liked, so I left. Then once the chords were fully developed elsewhere, I came back to BIAB and created the song again, and auditioned more styles and settled on HORA_B, and used the drums and bass and guitar to build a boss nova feeling. Later, I found the guitar didn't work with my piano rhythms and I tried the Freddie Green guitar and eventually changed over to a "manilow" guitar. The work was finished in Mixcraft 9.

Here are the lyrics and the link to the SoundCloud song.

Leafy Green

Verse 1:
Well those Bare sweet trees aren't cold at all underneath their winter white
Yes the Winter trees they doze all day and they sleep the dreamless night
Prechorus 1:
For when winter comes they sleep
(And) When spring comes they start to dream
Summer, Summer Dreams
Leafy Green

Chorus 1
(Oh) Leafy Green Sweet Summer Scene
That's What Trees Dream Each Day
Leafy Green Sweet Summer Dreams
While Winter Melts Away

Verse 2
Now In Spring the trees realize their dreams they wake to soft spring light
Yes In Spring the trees make the living green working all the day and night
Prechorus 2
Working now with all their might
In Spring the Living Come to Light
Summer, Summer Dreams
Leafy Green

Repeat Chorus 1
Oh Leafy Green Sweet Summer Scene
That's What Trees Dream Each Day
Leafy Green Sweet Summer Dreams
While Winter Melts Away

Verse 3
See the summer trees swaying with the breeze, Wide Awake, Dreams are done
Now those leafy trees living at their ease, breathing air, or everyone
Prechorus 3
So the world breathes in and out
The trees begin to sing and shout
Summer, Summer’s Here
Leafy /Green
Repeat Chorus
Repeat Verse 1
Repeat Prechorus 1
Repeat Chorus
Repeat Chorus

https://soundcloud.com/glenn-polin/leafy-green/s-FwIG3b2c7nQ

Last edited by Tiger; 05/20/20 06:16 AM.
Tiger #598274 05/20/20 07:12 AM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Brilliant! A slow, Latin dance feeling to beautiful lyrics. A really excellent song - bravo!

musician17 #598398 05/21/20 07:16 AM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thanks so much for your kind words!

Glenn

Tiger #598460 05/21/20 04:19 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Glenn,
Very fun performance & phrasing. I think you done excellent job on this tune.

I am not a professional by any means, so speaking as an average listener. I would prefer vocals to be lowered and backing a little louder, all except the piano. Maybe a little more reverb on the vocals too. You have very clear voice, so I do not believe more reverb would muddy it. Also, last chorus "doubling" vocals a little tighter.

Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.

Rustyspoon# #598494 05/22/20 02:43 AM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Rustyspoon#
Glenn,
Very fun performance & phrasing. I think you done excellent job on this tune.

I am not a professional by any means, so speaking as an average listener. I would prefer vocals to be lowered and backing a little louder, all except the piano. Maybe a little more reverb on the vocals too. You have very clear voice, so I do not believe more reverb would muddy it. Also, last chorus "doubling" vocals a little tighter.

Enjoyed it! Thank you for sharing.

Misha.
Misha, I appreciate this feedback. I will go back and listen to vocals versus background. I agree the piano is already as prominent as it can be. I always tend to favor the vocals and piano, maybe too much here.

I think I just got tired that last morning, trying to get two takes of the chorus to double in good enough sync, so I convinced myself that the lack of sync was "artistic"..maybe I will try again. I am, at heart, an improviser, and rarely sing something the same way twice.

Thank you again for listening and taking the time to comment.

Glenn

Tiger #598792 05/24/20 05:58 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Glenn,

Quite a "bright" sounding song. It has the character of "leafy green trees" - so, job well done. It has a sound and feel that fall somewhere between an educational, children's song (like Sesame Street?) and a Show tune...so...kinda cool...

Catchy, too.

fj

Tiger #598801 05/24/20 06:40 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Tiger.
I enjoyed listening to your creation.
Thank you for posting. Rob4580

Tiger #598824 05/24/20 09:26 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
I enjoyed the listen - the harmony at the end was especially nice.

-- David Cuny
My virtual singer development blog

Vocal control, you say. Never heard of it. Is that some kind of ProTools thing?
floyd jane #598840 05/24/20 11:28 AM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Floyd,

I appreciate hearing from you. Thanks for your perceptive comments. You are right in that the song lacks a specific genre. I just followed the song, and as it developed, I began to hear it as a folk song, and then a sort of a lullaby, a song that a mother might sing to her children. I am looking for that accomplished woman singer with a delicate voice who could convince the listener that she was singing to children. Until I find that singer, we are stuck with my baritone!

Floyd, you said the song was "bright"...I just wanted to make sure that wasn't a coded message to turn something down in the mix?

Or did you just mean "bright and cheery", as opposed to "my dog died and my baby left me and Covid is knocking on my door."?

Best Wishes,
Glenn

dcuny #598841 05/24/20 11:28 AM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Thanks, David! Appreciate you listening.

Rob4580 #598842 05/24/20 11:35 AM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Rob, thank you for listening and commenting. I am glad you enjoyed listening.

Glenn

Tiger #598968 05/25/20 05:22 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Glenn,
I like the original inspiration of the lyrics, placing them in a jazzy context added to the interest for me.
The melody is catchy and the backing smooth. Others have made helpful comments on improving your mix (the endless endeavor for us home studio folks); the main thing is you are making cool music that goes beyond cliche.
Well done!

Robert

Tiger #599001 05/25/20 10:01 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Well, we get it as we live in a mature forest!

For thirty years we have hiked and biked through them and
learned to appreciate all the magical qualities.

Thanks for putting all of that to music.

We enjoyed.

J&B

Tiger #599064 05/25/20 10:54 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Those two chords at the end of the chorus are too loud and abrupt - you could manage those a little more.
The strings aren't balanced by anything on the other side of the stereo image - you could create a stereo file of the strings or keep that acoustic guitar that appeared for a bit going though at a matched volume.
Your voice is clear but there's some sibilant sound stuff happening that is a little annoying when a vocal is that far forward so I'd suggest treating them and/or reducing the vocal level.

Cheers
rayc
"What's so funny about peace, love & understanding?" - N.Lowe
rayc #599093 05/26/20 03:03 AM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: rayc
Those two chords at the end of the chorus are too loud and abrupt - you could manage those a little more.
The strings aren't balanced by anything on the other side of the stereo image - you could create a stereo file of the strings or keep that acoustic guitar that appeared for a bit going though at a matched volume.
Your voice is clear but there's some sibilant sound stuff happening that is a little annoying when a vocal is that far forward so I'd suggest treating them and/or reducing the vocal level.
Rayc, thanks for the specific and honest feedback. Turn the voice and those post-chorus chords down. Done!

Everything you said was clear and direct, but I didn't understand what you meant about the strings, and "the other side of the stereo image." Are you talking about right/left? Because I have the strings in the middle in my DAW.

If you catch this, I would appreciate a little help with what you mean.

Glenn

Tiger #599156 05/26/20 10:47 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hello Glenn,

It feels you enjoyed the making and singing of this song very much. It reminded me of a song belonging to a musical for children, situated somewhere in the 60's. But of course I can't recall any name...
And as you yourself stated; a femalevoice would be great in it too. Ask Janice!
You did a very fine job on this one!

Hans

Hans Berkhout
(Birchwood)
https://soundcloud.com/user-296497130
Tiger #599180 05/26/20 12:40 PM
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Pretty music and an interesting, creative lyric!! The song feels like it could be part of a musical....whimsical! Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg

Robertkc #599559 05/28/20 12:09 PM
User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Robert, thanks so much for listening. I am happy if someone thinks I am "beyond cliche." That is important to me.

Best Wishes,
Glenn

User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
Pretty music and an interesting, creative lyric!! The song feels like it could be part of a musical....whimsical! Enjoyed!! Take care. Greg
Greg, thanks for listening. Whimsical is a fine word. Happy to be a little whimsical in today's world.

Glenn

User Showcase
T
Tiger Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
T
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Well, we get it as we live in a mature forest!

For thirty years we have hiked and biked through them and
learned to appreciate all the magical qualities.

Thanks for putting all of that to music.

We enjoyed.

J&B

Janice and Bud, thanks from a fellow forest appreciator. A forest is a magical place, and if you think I captured a little bit of that in a song, well that makes me happy.

Glenn

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199