Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
Quote:

Quote:

I should have mentioned this in my original post. I'm running XP SP3, 1.8 duo with 3 meg ram.

Well given Jim had no problems, based on limited evidence it looks like its a Vista 64bit bug.

Cheers F

Prado just read your posts again: So you were running XP SP3 on your Xeon ?? And clicking the x did the trick for you. If so this changes the landscape
again.

Re F

P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
No, I'm on XP sp3.

Prado

F
Apprentice
Apprentice
F
Quote:

No, I'm on XP sp3.

Prado

I guess you mean Yes you were on XP sp3 ! Therefore not necessarily a Vista 64bit issue.

Well its over to the brains trust at PGMusic to work all this evidence out.
At least we can workaround until its fixed.

Re F

Veteran
Veteran
I do agree on a couple of opposing points.
1. If advertised to support ASIO it should work.
2. With the multitude of computer configurations , the large amount of people using this software and Windows itself it may not always work as expected.
3. There are probably thousands of people using ASIO successfully with BIAB that don't come to these forums.
4. PG Music in my opinion is a great company but probably does not have a large enough staff to do the R&D and testing of a company like Adobe or Sony. I'll take PG any day over the others quirks and all.

Do you have this box checked?
Show Warning for Untested Soundcard Formats is an optional setting that shows a warning if your ASIO driver
format has not been tested in Band-in-a-Box. This message does not necessarily mean your driver will not work,
and it can be disabled if you want.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
M
Expert
Expert
M
Prado.
(or anyone else haveing probs. )
thanks for the pic showing the rme user control panel.
firstly you can upload pics fast to stashbox.org.
without even setting up an account.
after each pic upload a link will display.
just copy the link into the thread here.
as i said lets be constructive.
lets see pics of the following mate.
1. dpc pics for both the centrino and the xeon.
2. you showed the user control panel for the rme but not the echo.
(i'll get to the rme in a moment.)
3. pics showing settings in the daw software where asio works flawlessly
showing driver and sampling n bit rate settings.
4. pics showing your own biab preference settings for drivers/asio
etc etc.
5. and for the hey of it..cos it might be important...
a pic of win task manager showing all running tasks n processes.

this way a complete picture of both your xeon and centrino systems
can be obtained.
for anyone else haveing probs with a sound device ..
just post a thread in off topic with the above pics.
you could call it...the problem sound devices thread.
(many recording forums have a sticky thread relating to sound devices that work and dont work).
and i'll take a gander at the pics and comment appropriately ..fair ??
but i need those pics in order to help.

now back to your rme prado.
for you specifically.
(yes your link to the rme control panel is the sort of user control
panel i was talking about.
viz most sound devices , even junky on board pc sound has a user control panel.
and its sometimes settings in these user control panels that trip people up.
for example ive seen numerous threads on various forums with many different types of
daw software where people sometimes wrestle with various control panels like emu n delta etc etc.)

a couple of questions.
you obviously have a sophisticated set up with the rme.
1. are you useing external clocking devices with it. ??
2. in your other daw software where asio works fine..
what bit depth n sampling rate do you have set ??

do you now have rme and asio and biab working fine
includeing the x factor ?? whats your status ??

mebe it is an issue with biab implementation of asio..
but one can only state that categorically after
exhausting other diagnostic avenues which is why those pics are important.

as i said..for other folks ..post the above pics in a thread in
the off topic section. n i'll comment appropriately.
but i cant comment intelligently unless i have pics of peoples settings.
imho this is far more constructive than just ad hoc comments.
in fact i'll go now n start a thread in off topic called
"post your problem sound devices here".
so there is a central repository hopefully for folks .
fair ??
god bless mate.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Journeyman
Journeyman
I'd like to clear up a misconception here. ASIO version 1 did not support multiple applications, ASIO 2 and 3 does. I've noticed that BB does not allow other applications to use the ASIO drivers, therefore I must assume that it is not ASIO 2 compliant. The reason I have reached this conclusion is because I can open BB first and it will use the ASIO drivers, but if I then open Sonar or Cubase, neither of those apps can use the ASIO drivers. same for the other way around. if I open Sonar or Cubase first, BB cannot use the ASIO drivers. HOWEVER, Sonar and Cubase open DOES allow use of the ASIO drivers at the same time!

ref: http://www.harmony-central.com/Events/WNAMM99/Steinberg/ASIO-2.0.html
note specifically the heading: ASIO 2.0 Shares Hardware with other ASIO 2.0 Applications.

What ASIO does NOT allow, however is the use of 2 or more soundcards at the same time - unless they are designed to work as ONE card such as the M-audio delta series cards are.

This is completely verifiable by testing with programs which DO comply to the ASIO2 protocol. as long as you have 2 programs which BOTH comply with ASIO2 or above, then they can BOTH access the soundcard drivers. Sonar and Cubase are both ASIO2 compliant. I can open both programs and either program can access the soundcard. BB will not, however, share the ASIO drivers and therefore I conclude that it is not ASIO2 compliant.

As has been discovered earlier by the OP, however, it's not just about the host programs' compliance to ASIO2 or 3. it's also about the soundcard's drivers. if the drivers are not written to ASIO2 or 3 compliance for the soundcard you're using, then you will also still have the problem with not being able to use multiple programs with ASIO driver mode.

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Thank you, Beagle. I just learned a lot.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
Journeyman
Glad to help, Matt!

Veteran
Veteran
Thanks! I'll throw you a big bone.
Might we also conclude that if BIAB is not ASIO 2 compliant that using ASIO2 drivers may also introduce issues other then not sharing? Like crashing

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Wow ... Beagle ... an illumination of knowledge.

FWIW After trying the FranK Fix and finding for the first time my ASIO audio was working, I deselected the audio driver, went back to midi out and then reselected my RME ASIO drivers, this time in the normal way: Crash!

After reloading the program, no audio. Again deselected the audio, went to midi, reselected the audio and chose the RME ASIO drivers FranK Fix method. Bingo! Working perfectly.

That is as much empirical evidence as I need that the problem lies with BIAB, not my setup, drivers, other programs, etc., etc.

With this bit of knowledge gleaned from the posters here you'd think it should be a rather simple fix for PG Music, no?

Thanks.

Prado

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

[With this bit of knowledge gleaned from the posters here you'd think it should be a rather simple fix for PG Music, no?

Just to be safe, you should send a note to "support @ pgmusic dot com" (remove spaces and make appropriate substitutions) to let them know and probably reference this thread.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Journeyman
Journeyman
John (silvertones) - it is possible, yes.

Prado - I agree with John Ford - send them a message about this and let hem know.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Oh by the way, my question as to WHY ones needs ASIO was never answered. Not in an intelligent answer that makes any sense.

It actually was answered but it was buried in the middle of a long post. It's only when you're doing live midi recording using a soft synth such as me using a midi keyboard controller to play my software B4 organ program. With MME or WDM, the latency makes it virtually impossible to play live (it's around a half second or so) but ASIO gets you down to 5 ms which is measured to be basically the same delay you hear when sitting in front of a grand piano and you hit a key. I believe you use hardware synths so latency is not an issue for you but try playing your wind controller using the Forte synth or any other soft synth using the MME drivers and you'll hear it clearly because it's right in your face and trust me the delay is so bad you'll stop playing in about two seconds.
Not everybody uses all the capabilities of these programs. You can be an expert in several areas for years yet never use this or that function. This is a big deal not just for recording but for playing along in a live situation too if you use software synths.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

But I still can't get the EWI USB to be seen as an input in BIAB. So, as long as I'm playing a keyboard, I'll be fine with ASIO. But if I'm playing the EWI, I have to use Reason. What a drag, as I'd love to use BIAB onstage. Now I'm experimenting using Reason with ASIO, and BIAB with MME at the same time...........
Ed

Hi Edward, FWIW I can get my EWI USB to work in BiaB using either ASIO or MME drivers. The MIDI input driver for the EWI USB on my system is called USB Audio Device. The problem is I can only select one MIDI input driver at a time. Thus for me it’s either my keyboard or the EWI USB. Is this the same for you?

This is not an issue for me as I record in Sonar however someone may have a work around. Also maybe multiple midi inputs should be placed in the wish list forum.

Keep us posted.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Veteran
Veteran
If you need multiple MIDI input ports RB will do it easily.

They each have their strengths (RB and BiaB).

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
M
Expert
Expert
M
Prado
re empirical evidence.
actually you cant necesarily jump to that conclusion.
its not as simplistic with respect.
without understanding when you select and deselect a driver on the fly
how rme and biab and win interract with each other
and internal mesages sent and their execution within the pc.
particularly as to when chosen sound devices/drivers are open and closed.

mebe it is a biab problem...but not necessarily.
difficult to say without seeing biab internal source code
and the source code to the rme product.
and therein lies the rub mate.

ive seen the driver dance in lots of daw software.
you can see it on lots of recording forums.
my "xyz sound device wont work with abc daw software " etc etc.
a zillion threads on such . not just limited to biab.

sometimes the solution is to select the correct drivers , save the selection,
(which some people forget to do...seen that a few times.)
then exit the daw software so sound devices are closed properly.
and then re-open the daw software , and try to record n see if everything is
copacetic. just the other day i had to do this when testing out a new
sound device. set the drivers/save..close down daw...then come back in
to the daw and all was good.
there might also be win quirks we dont know bout ..dunno.
youve prolly also seen on some recording forums where some daw
software dont like recording sampling rates to change once in a project.
once theyve been set.
anyhoo glad you got it sorted.
i would still run the dpc test at your convenience.
its very usefull and will help youwith your pc's..

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The fact that there have been several reports now that using the X to cancel the window and select ASIO drivers does indeed make an apparently nonworking ASIO driver work points the finger directly at Band in a Box.

Another bit of a clue is that I have never had to resort to that to get ASIO drivers to work when using my M-Audio AP 2496 card. The Okay button just works. However, I stopped trying to use my E-MU 1616M ASIO drivers with BiaB some time ago due to it *sometimes* crashing and now I will have to investigate the X method and see if that works or not.

Let's hope it is a simple bit of code fix and can be implemented in the next program update.

--Mac

P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
@ Manning1 ... I mightly respect your assiduous and methodical approach to problem solving ... that's undoubtedly why your were a successful computer engineer.

But I'm just a pragmatic, 'wanna be' computer musician. I'm happy to help with something I know about ... in small repay for all the fantastic help I've received on one forum or another over the years. Once my problem is solved I'm usually back to the music ... or surfin' the forums for what's interesting.

I'll try to take a look at the dts thingey. I'm always open to bullet proofing my setup.

As Mac says above, let's let BIAB sort it out. I already sent a request to BIAB ... answered by Andrew to acknowledge this thread.

I'm sure there must be some small sub-routine/ macro that runs with the 'OK' button that interferes with some and not others selecting the ASIO drivers.

I'm also eager to hear if 'FrankK's Fix' ... I think i'd rather call it 'Frankie Kay's Fix,' rolls of the tongue a little more sonically ... solves Mac's 1616m issues. I've got one sitting in the closet and I've been thinking about buying the new PCIe card from E-Mu and then selling my Echo Layla (whose current resale price is a pittance of what it's really worth!)

Prado

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Unfortunately it my be at least a few days until I can get to testing again...

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Are you kidding? MME is glitchy and horrible especially as you add more and more real tracks to the music. ASIO runs flawlessly and there are no latency issues. I'll even take WDM drivers over MME, but BIAB does not offer them. They really need to correct these issues.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199