Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#62188 - 02/25/10 08:35 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: Prado]
malevans Offline
Apprentice

Loc: GB
I'm also on Vista 64bit with 8GB memory FrankK. I also have the complete BB on an external drive and 2 terabyte drives.

With realtracks and vsti I am pleased with the sounds I am getting in most genres, though would like to see more classical and contemporary folk instruments being introduced in realtracks, at a wider tempo range.

None the less ..... it's all good for the most part.

:-)

#62189 - 02/25/10 09:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: malevans]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Sydney,NSW,Australia
Quote:

I'm also on Vista 64bit with 8GB memory FrankK. I also have the complete BB on an external drive and 2 terabyte drives.

With realtracks and vsti I am pleased with the sounds I am getting in most genres, though would like to see more classical and contemporary folk instruments being introduced in realtracks, at a wider tempo range.

None the less ..... it's all good for the most part.

:-)

OK so we have a similarity here ; Vista 64bit with the huge statistical count of 2 (LOL) have the B&B crash on selecting ASIO and clicking OK.

Re folk instruments Yep and for me more clean guitar rhythms but we should put those in the wish list thread.

Cheers F

#62190 - 02/25/10 10:28 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: FrankK]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

I should have mentioned this in my original post. I'm running XP SP3, 1.8 duo with 3 meg ram.

#62191 - 02/25/10 10:41 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: jim111]
manning1 Offline
Expert

Loc: Canada
Prado.
ok..so rme.
a very fine sound device as i'm sure your aware. and no i'm not assuming your
a noob to digital audio.
by the by as i'm sure your aware asio introduces its own overhead.
(by the way ive used asio at length as well as other non asio formats like wdm etc)
so your saying your rme dont play nice with biab ..correct ??
nor your layla (another good device) correct ??
mebe it is a biab issue..but follow my weird mind..
cos i like to try n trak things down.

both those devices have user control panels..correct ??
what ive seen sometimes with these user control panels ..
and an important point to note is..sometimes the way a user
control panel is set up in one daw music software might need a different setting
in another daw software.

lets be constructive bout this.
post pics of each user control panel that you know works well in other daw software.
just amuse me please..theres method in my madness..lol.

i would like to make one important point also mate.
the way pc architecture works is the music software daw or application..
is seperated from the sound device.
win sits in the middle of everything running tasks n processes
rather like a traffic cop.
all the music app does at start up is ask win whats installed on the users
machine and win reports back.
(for more info peruse the MS developers site called MSDN and look up enumeration
of devices.)
in summary the music app itself could be accessing the freddy splunge
sound device. all the music app knows is what win tells it is installed
re sound devices. then the user chooses in the music app the
I/O//drivers to be used.
the reason i'm stateing the above is some users assume that there is a close
direct relationship tween the music app and the sound device.
but in fact its more of an arms length relationship if you peruse
the MSDN site and delve into the midi and audio api's that developers of
midi and audio software use when developing in win.

so what fazes users is why does my xyz sound device work well with
one piece of daw software but not another. ??
or why does xyz sound device work on my mates puter but not mine ??
youll see these questions on many forums.
even why does asio work on one of my pc's but not the other ??
seen that one too.

my answer is there are many variables that need to be considered.
mebe it is biab's asio implementation..but it might not be.
obviously some folks here are useing asio ok.
there are other variables. mebe for example its a setting in a sound devices user control panel.
ive seen many times where a user is swearing blind its the daw software..
(sonar//samp//saw//audition//any other daw software you can name)
only to find out it was a setting in the user control panel.
(or sometimes incorrect driver assignment)
assuming the correct I/O drivers have been assigned in the daw software.
which is why i'm asking you to show pics of your user control panel
settings for your sound devices. it might be a blind end..but might not.
see my tips in the tips section.

#62192 - 02/25/10 11:38 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: manning1]
Prado Offline
Apprentice

Manning1 ... hey, appreciate you going the extra mile. You're obviously putting a lot of thought and 'help your neighbor' concern in to this. I cannot but agree with what you say as far ... there are many variables. And of course the driver, ASIO in this discussion, is exactly the bridge between the software, windows and the hardware sound device.

(Edit ... tell you what, here below is a link to a screen shot of the RME console. If this is what you meant, just tell me what settings you think I need to have and I'll set my card that way and see what happens.)

http://www.rme-audio.de/old/en/hdsp/multifa.htm#SETTINGS

OK, I know how to make a 'screen shot,' but I'm not clear on how to turn this into a postable picture. Got a link or a quick instruction?

Second, are you talking about pics of the drivers' applet windows where you change settings or a pic of the driver as setup in the 'options setup window of a program it is working with? Or?

I also note that in your list of questions you missed mine: Noting that I have installed all the same applications on both my desktop and laptop, specifically Cubase5, Ableton6, AcidPro6, Reaper3, Reason4, SoundForge6 and several standalone applications including NI FM8, and that the desktop runs on RME drivers and the laptop runs on Echo Audio drivers, and every single other software program I own runs flawlessly on both computer with the two different drivers, why won't either ASIO driver run BIAB on either computer?

Yes, a long question, but it does seem to answer most of the 'pinning it down' possibilities you pose. No?

Now, I haven't tried the 'fix' mentioned in this very thread, but later tonight I'll give it a shot.

So, on to the pics.

Prado

Edited by Prado (02/25/10 11:50 PM)

#62193 - 02/25/10 11:59 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: John Conley]
Prado Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

Oh by the way, my question as to WHY ones needs ASIO was never answered. Not in an intelligent answer that makes any sense.

John,

I'll try again.

I've reread all this thread, particularly the part about your painful experience spending 100 hours getting ASIO to work and then discerning it sounded the same. I also note you use the Ketron, which sounds as though you don't use softsynths.

I like to use both softsynths and hardware synths. Latency is a non-issue if you are triggering hardware. But it is an issue if you use or hope to use softsynths.

So the "answer" is that if you are a softsynth user you need ASIO drivers to play along or record with BIAB in real time.

Hope that makes it clear.

Regards.

Prado

#62194 - 02/26/10 12:05 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: Prado]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
If someone wants to use the ASIO drivers, for *whatever* reason, and if the program is supposed to support ASIO, then they should be able to invoke the ASIO drivers without crashes, freezes or other problems.

Things like that can be quite frustrating.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#62195 - 02/26/10 01:42 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: Mac]
Edward Buckley Offline
Expert

Loc: Guadalajara, Mexico
I too have struggled to make ASIO work well in BIAB. I just purchased the new M-Audio Fast Track II for use with my Laptop, the goal being to Play the Akai EWI USB onstage using bass sample libraries. I was never able to get my Tascam Fireone interface to work with ASIO in BIAB. My laptop has 2 GB of ram and Windows 7 32 bit. Imagine my surprise when I was able to get it working with 2010 version of BIAB. Latency is very low, audio sounds good.

But I still can't get the EWI USB to be seen as an input in BIAB. So, as long as I'm playing a keyboard, I'll be fine with ASIO. But if I'm playing the EWI, I have to use Reason. What a drag, as I'd love to use BIAB onstage. Now I'm experimenting using Reason with ASIO, and BIAB with MME at the same time...........

Ahhhh....the fun of it all. Better than the days of floopy disks and changing IRQ's the hard way.

Ed

#62196 - 02/26/10 01:55 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: Edward Buckley]
Prado Offline
Apprentice

+1 for the "don't hit OK" button fix. My RME ASIO drivers are now locked and loaded.

I am ... partially anyway ... mollified. It must be the font in the OK button that is causing all this grief!

Kudos to 'Serendipitous FrankK'

Prado

#62197 - 02/26/10 02:32 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: jim111]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

I should have mentioned this in my original post. I'm running XP SP3, 1.8 duo with 3 meg ram.

Well given Jim had no problems, based on limited evidence it looks like its a Vista 64bit bug.

Cheers F

#62198 - 02/26/10 03:17 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: FrankK]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

Quote:

Well given Jim had no problems, based on limited evidence it looks like its a Vista 64bit bug.

Cheers F

Prado just read your posts again: So you were running XP SP3 on your Xeon ?? And clicking the x did the trick for you. If so this changes the landscape
again.

Re F

#62199 - 02/26/10 03:33 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: FrankK]
Prado Offline
Apprentice

No, I'm on XP sp3.

Prado

#62200 - 02/26/10 04:41 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: Prado]
FrankK Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

No, I'm on XP sp3.

Prado

I guess you mean Yes you were on XP sp3 ! Therefore not necessarily a Vista 64bit issue.

Well its over to the brains trust at PGMusic to work all this evidence out.
At least we can workaround until its fixed.

Re F

#62201 - 02/26/10 07:27 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: FrankK]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I do agree on a couple of opposing points.
1. If advertised to support ASIO it should work.
2. With the multitude of computer configurations , the large amount of people using this software and Windows itself it may not always work as expected.
3. There are probably thousands of people using ASIO successfully with BIAB that don't come to these forums.
4. PG Music in my opinion is a great company but probably does not have a large enough staff to do the R&D and testing of a company like Adobe or Sony. I'll take PG any day over the others quirks and all.

Do you have this box checked?
Show Warning for Untested Soundcard Formats is an optional setting that shows a warning if your ASIO driver
format has not been tested in Band-in-a-Box. This message does not necessarily mean your driver will not work,
and it can be disabled if you want.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"

#62202 - 02/26/10 07:31 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: ASIO Crashes BB constantly [Re: FrankK]
manning1 Offline
Expert

Loc: Canada
Prado.
(or anyone else haveing probs. )
thanks for the pic showing the rme user control panel.
firstly you can upload pics fast to stashbox.org.
without even setting up an account.
after each pic upload a link will display.
just copy the link into the thread here.
as i said lets be constructive.
lets see pics of the following mate.
1. dpc pics for both the centrino and the xeon.
2. you showed the user control panel for the rme but not the echo.
(i'll get to the rme in a moment.)
3. pics showing settings in the daw software where asio works flawlessly
showing driver and sampling n bit rate settings.
4. pics showing your own biab preference settings for drivers/asio
etc etc.
5. and for the hey of it..cos it might be important...
a pic of win task manager showing all running tasks n processes.

this way a complete picture of both your xeon and centrino systems
can be obtained.
for anyone else haveing probs with a sound device ..
just post a thread in off topic with the above pics.
you could call it...the problem sound devices thread.
(many recording forums have a sticky thread relating to sound devices that work and dont work).
and i'll take a gander at the pics and comment appropriately ..fair ??
but i need those pics in order to help.

now back to your rme prado.
for you specifically.
(yes your link to the rme control panel is the sort of user control
panel i was talking about.
viz most sound devices , even junky on board pc sound has a user control panel.
and its sometimes settings in these user control panels that trip people up.
for example ive seen numerous threads on various forums with many different types of
daw software where people sometimes wrestle with various control panels like emu n delta etc etc.)

a couple of questions.
you obviously have a sophisticated set up with the rme.
1. are you useing external clocking devices with it. ??
2. in your other daw software where asio works fine..
what bit depth n sampling rate do you have set ??

do you now have rme and asio and biab working fine
includeing the x factor ?? whats your status ??

mebe it is an issue with biab implementation of asio..
but one can only state that categorically after
exhausting other diagnostic avenues which is why those pics are important.

as i said..for other folks ..post the above pics in a thread in
the off topic section. n i'll comment appropriately.
but i cant comment intelligently unless i have pics of peoples settings.
imho this is far more constructive than just ad hoc comments.
in fact i'll go now n start a thread in off topic called
"post your problem sound devices here".
so there is a central repository hopefully for folks .
fair ??
god bless mate.
see my tips in the tips section.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27152 Members
49 Forums
50354 Topics
413402 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
RmGx, GIBSON335, profesas, pilk, whalil

27152 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 249
Noel96 213