Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Are you kidding? MME is glitchy and horrible especially as you add more and more real tracks to the music. ASIO runs flawlessly and there are no latency issues.

While I, too, find that my particular setup and soundcard will run the ASIO just fine, there really are those who cannot get them to work properly. Might be the chosen soundcard, might be the drivers, might be the OS and tweaking, might be the host program or any combination of those stopping the show.

Quote:

I'll even take WDM drivers over MME, but BIAB does not offer them. They really need to correct these issues.

Well, unless you are running an OS that is early Win 98 or something, when you pick "MME" inside pgmusic products, you are really running your WDM drivers anyway. There aren't any MME drivers to run in XP and later, only WDM.

Why pgmusic continues to call it, "MME" is the question -- and I've asked it in the past.

I think they should just change the label to "Windows Sound Drivers" and that would cover it all.

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks Mac! I didn't know about BIAB calling their WDM drivers MME. I guess the output of what I'm hearing could probably sound much worse if it was really MME.

I use all the latest gear since I am a computer tech and build my own music systems from the ground up, so even with the external audio interface that I'm using (M-Audio Fast Track Pro) the ASIO just isn't cooperating.

I'm going to try Frank's method that I read early on in this forum tonight to see if it works for me.

Journeyman
Journeyman
WOW, Just read through all of this and am wondering will I actually be able to get this stuff to work! I just ordered the m-audio fast track II from Sweetwater in the hopes of being able to use a softsynth in real time with BIAB. The rep there was certain that by adding the interface I would solve my problems. I'm not sure that ASIO is the problem but rather that Asio4All may be my problem. In any case I'm waiting with bated breath for the interface to come in (Its on back order) so I can try to do what many of you are already doing. One of the big problems is that all of the software companies promise ease of use but then start offering more and more features that make the software more and more difficult. BIAB is easy to use if all you are doing is entering in some chords and playing back that simple track. It becomes very complicated when you start adding the extra features.

Dell 610 dual Monitor, win 7-10, Sonar Plat, ProTools 10 & 11, Reaper 4, BIAB/real Band 2022, Easy Drummer, Superior Drummer, Kontact Essentials, Personnel Orchestra, Korg Legacy Analog & Digital
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
BB sholuld work fine with ASiO4ALL, Ed, matter of fact BB was *optimized* for use with ASIO4ALL several versions back.

Problems may arise due to OS choice along with softsynth choice and OS tweak settings, something like that is what I'm thinking.

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Mac, If I install ASIO4All on my system will I be able to use that driver in place of the ASIO drivers that are set up to work with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro audio interface?

Reason I'm asking is because presently BIAB 2010 does not work with my M-Audio device unless it is configured for MME (or WDM as we know it to really be).

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Mac, If I install ASIO4All on my system will I be able to use that driver in place of the ASIO drivers that are set up to work with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro audio interface?

Yes. The ASIO4ALL actually functions as a "wrapper' that converts your chosen sound device's WDM Windows drivers to act as ASIO.

It is okay to install ASIO4ALL right alongside your soundcard's existing drivers, just be sure to pick the ASIO4ALL in the host program's picker window.

--Mac

Apprentice
Apprentice
Mac, I have read this thread from cover to cover. I did not even know until now that there was a latency issue recording live with BiaB. I guess I haven't got enough BiaB under my belt yet. However, as I do not look forward to dealing with this issue in the immediate future ...

I have a new Quad-Core, Q8300 Multimedia PC that I bought just especially for music recording and performance. I have Windows-7 64-bit (all up to date), 6GB DDR3, 750GB HDD. I recently purchased and installed BiaB 2010 MegaPak (also up to date).

Q1: I've been told by various others that I should NOT use the internal sound on my PC -- That it could cause problems and secondly, that it would be to my advantage to purchase a higher-end sound card given I want high-quality sound output and input. I have PCI and PCIe slots available. If I were to go out and purchase a new sound card for my new PC on my new operating system, what do you feel would be a good choice given this discussion about ASIO and the very good likelihood that I will be playing along with BiaB?

Q2: Same question ... M-Audio Interface or something else ? I've seen some positive posts on other forums about the M-Audio 192 card but I'm reluctant to make the jump until I see some additional information about how I might avoid the ASIO issue(s).

Sorry -- long-winded but expected you'd need thoroughness. I was going to create a new thread for this question but it sounds like many users here are extremely knowledgeable with regard to the ASIO issue.

Thanks to everyone in advance for any recommendations you might give me. I may need to move this over to a separate post.

Last edited by ikeinblackriver; 03/25/10 01:04 AM.

Ike
M
Expert
Expert
M
ikeinblackriver
www.zzounds.com
has a complete list of sound devices from very cheap
to expensive.
as to how well a sound device performs depends on many variables.
the type of connection (fw/usb/pci) , chipset (for example some
fw audio devices dont like non TI fw chipsets), how well the drivers
of the sound device perform etc etc.
you can see for example what fw chipset you have in your quad
by looking under ieee properties in control panel.
with pci sound devices , as your a puter bloke, youll understand
bandwidth. viz ...i recommend , if useing a pci sound device not to have
other bandwidth hogging devices in pci slots.
in the past a main culprit often was tv tuner cards for example locking out
the pci sound device. thus leading to cliks n pops.

its really important you go into your needs in more detail.
eg..are you going to be at some point useing a daw software to reecord lots of audio inputs ??
or just always one at a time ??
often people have to try several devices , so make sure any device you can return for a full refund.
as your on w7 check carefully for driver compatability.
maudio 2496 sound device (pci) is only 90 buks in some places.
but youll have to test with your specific system with w7 etc etc.
i recommended it to someone recently n the bloke loves it.
but whether it will work well for you..too many variables.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Q1: I've been told by various others that I should NOT use the internal sound on my PC -- That it could cause problems and secondly, that it would be to my advantage to purchase a higher-end sound card given I want high-quality sound output and input. I have PCI and PCIe slots available. If I were to go out and purchase a new sound card for my new PC on my new operating system, what do you feel would be a good choice given this discussion about ASIO and the very good likelihood that I will be playing along with BiaB?

Q2: Same question ... M-Audio Interface or something else ? I've seen some positive posts on other forums about the M-Audio 192 card but I'm reluctant to make the jump until I see some additional information about how I might avoid the ASIO issue(s).

I use the AP 2496 M-Audio PCI card and have no ASIO issues whatsoever.

The 192 is the step up from the 2496, uses the same basic driver set.

Of course, I'm running XP SP3 here still, can't speak to the newer OS.

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well, I've tried it all and still no success with the ASIO issue. I Tried Farnk's process...no luck, downloaded ASIO 4 All...faileds immeditely when I executed it. Again, I'm only having issues with BIAB 2010 trying to use ASIO. Sonar, Ableton, Reason all run fine with my M-Audio Fast Track Pro.

All drivers up to date on every component on my system, but BIAB 2010 just doesn't like ASIO. Hopefully a fix is in the works, for now I willl live with MME on the BIAB side of things

My machine is an HP Dual Core system with all the bells and whistles and I configured exclusively for music. All was well with all my music programs until I updated from BIAB 2008.5 to 2010. Very strange, but I'm hopeful that a fix is in the works.

Rome wasn't built in one day...

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Does this crash happen when you are using BB in DAW mode for drag 'n drop and the "other" program that utilizes ASIO drivers is already open?

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Nope, no programs are even open. I'm just trying to execute the ASIO 4 All file and it just fails with some error message right off the bat.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Nope, no programs are even open. I'm just trying to execute the ASIO 4 All file and it just fails with some error message right off the bat.

Oh!

This sounds like something you should be taking up with the M-Audio and ASIO4ALL developers then.

--Mac

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Quote:

We found a cause for some crashes with ASIO in Band-in-a-Box, that can occur if using the Panic button, or when exiting the MIDI Dialog (after playback has occured).

The simple workaround is to disable the menu item [Play- Panic also resets DXi] . When disabled (no checkbox beside the menu item) the crash no longer occurs.

We'll get a more definitive fix in the next patch release, but the workaround above should accomplish the same thing.

--------------------
Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,566
Members38,444
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Descoward, danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J
38,443 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200