Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63078 03/02/10 01:38 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Wow, I don't know what setting got changed but I can't seem to fix this problem.

When I playback a song, BIAB or midi file, the tempo is very erratic in BIAB. Sounds like every part is doing their own warm up and even the drum track by itself is uneven. It is utter nails on a blackboard.

I have gone through all of my settings and tried checking, unchecking options but can't seem to find the issue. I open the same songs in RB and they play fine.

Any thoughts? I honestly don't remember changing anything but something is wayyyyyy off.

Veteran
Veteran
Virus scan?

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
R
Expert
Expert
R
Once you rule out booze or drugs in the band...

You may want to try a Factory Settings reset under the Opt menu.

Are you using RealTracks? if so, try turning off the 'Speed up generation of RealTracks' in the RealTrack Settings. On slower machines, this can cause problems.

R

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I have experienced similar problems, and I am running an old 2.4GHz Celeron machine with 2 GB of RAM. (Don't let the 2.4 fool ya; it's an underpowered machine.)

Every once in a while, especially when using RTs, the tempo slows to a crawl, like the audio version of slo-mo. It's as if the processor's clock rate got cut in half. This usually happens if I'm switching between BIAB and some other window, say, a Google Chrome window or maybe a Thunderbird (email) window. I should know better than to try to run other apps when using BIAB.

Another thing that seems to happen occasionally is the MIDI tracks lose their sync with the RTs. Doesn't happen often but often enough that I remember it happening.

Last edited by Schnazola; 03/02/10 09:26 PM.
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Sounds like someone needs to investigate their Power Settings in the Control Panel.

There are Power Saving aspects that "throttle down" the CPU to save power, only problem with that scheme is that the CPU cannot throttle back up fast enough for realtime work like music making. Set the thing to "Always On" in all aspects.

--Mac

Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Granted, nothing beats a jerky drummer for aggravation.

Reboot then Factory Reset are then first things to try, as mentioned.

Not only turning off the virus scanner, but also turning it off during an install, is a good thing to try.

The last time I recall seeing the term "jerky" used here was a case where there was interference by the network card. The playing "stuttered" but then raced to catch up to where it should have been. If that sounds familiar and you are using the Internet at the same time, try disabling your network card temporarily.

If that doesn't do it, you could try the DPC Latency Checker to see if something is interfering with your system's ability to do audio. It's a simple but powerful utility with instructions here: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

Did you recently change anything on your system?

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Don't find any virus issues and I am not using realtracks. I am only midi so I can try and isolate the issue.

I have reset to factory settings to no avail.

Funny, Rachael, that is exactly what it sounds like. The musicians got drunk and they are stumbling through the French Quarter, unable to keep a beat or play in sync. Ouch!

Veteran
Veteran
It it's herky jerky follow the instructions. Left foot in left foot out...SORRY couldn't help myself.

Straight midi should play like a dream. Does it do it with every song? Have you tried some of pgmusics demo songs for the styles? Do they do it?

Have you changed from the Midi setup to something else, tried that and gone back?

John Conley
Musica est vita
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
It seems to be happening when I run photoshop, outlook, virus-scan, cubase, google chrom and realband at the same time as BIAB......

kidding folks.

I am trying to play a straight midi file, nothing fancy. I did download the ForteDxi demo so maybe there is a conflict there. I may try uninstalling it or uncheck dxi altogether and see what happens.

Veteran
Veteran
Can you download and play a real midi file off the internet in another program, like ..geez I forget, I don't use windows much...you know the windows program for audio that does midi too. Find something complex enough.

Turn off some stuff, like wireless card, virus checker.

I found out after a year of frustration that the virus software that come with 2 of my computers made a chuck chuck noise off and on. Drove me INSANE. Still am.

John Conley
Musica est vita
M
Expert
Expert
M
fianoman
could you give details bout your puter ??
processor ?? ram ?? useing same drive as win OS resides on ??
sound device used ?? etc etc.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
Ok... I reset to factory settings. Then I stripped out the dxi in midi, closed the program and rebooted the computer.

Without Dxi, it was running smooth again. So then I set the dxi to vscdxi and it still worked properly. This is with both BIAB songs and independent midi songs that I have downloaded.

Realband works fine with the ForteDxi enabled so I switched to the Forte in BIAB also and it appears to be working properly at the moment. These were not just hiccups like I was driving the system too hard - all of the parts were completely out of sync and jumping around on the temp. WEIRD.

I will monitor it and report back if it can nail it down. It has been working smoothly for several months now.

Manning1- I guess I need to put this stuff in my signature. Toshiba laptop, Pentium 4 2.66 ghz, 2 gig of memory, using same disc as OS, Win XP sp3. Using ASIO drivers with realtek AC97 soundcard.

If anyone has experienced this with Forte, please let me know. As I mentioned, it is a demo only so if it continues to be a problem, I probably won't cough up the $40.

Thanks everyone!

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
It sounds to me like the reboot fixed a fragmented and/or insufficient free memory problem. I don't care what the Windows folks say (meaning MS), but a reboot every so often fixes a lot of stuff. That is not a criticism - I wouldn't leave my car idling for weeks and expect it to run without a hiccup - just the way a computer works sometimes.

M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
FYI -- The Forte loads to RAM. If you revisit the Forte for any reason during a session, well, it loads to ram *again* and seems to not clear out the first loading. etc. Very easy to run out of resources then.

And, yes, a reboot is the way to get the resources back.

FWIW, the VSC DXi does not exhibit the same ram-eating behavior (behaviour for John...)

--Mac

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
My son runs some ridiculous 1000 bagigahertz quad-processor, plutonium-mercurium machine with 184 gig o' RAM (to run Adobe Audition). Every now and then he bitches about it being slow or unresponsive or acting quirky and stupid. I tell him him to "format and re-install," a suggestion he always rejects for some reason. So, I ask him when was the last time he rebooted. Invariably, it's over week ago.

Slow learner, that kid.

Veteran
Veteran
I think Dad is a fast learner. My sister posted on facebook that she was talking to him (She lives on Vancouver Island) about her husband and the fact the he as gout. She claimed to not know much about it, and he says, well I just typed it into google the 2nd page down has a lot of good medical information. He had her on speaker phone so my mother could hear. My sis thinks its cool that my Dad uses the net, and does 20 peoples taxes for free on the computer. I think 80 percent of them are in nursing homes, and the rest are widows. Dad will be 83 next year.

John Conley
Musica est vita
M
Expert
Expert
M
fianoman
thanks for the puter specs.
sometime read my puter tips under my tips in the tips n triks section
to save me retyping lots.
and run this sometime n report back.
http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
i know some will disagree with me..and this might not be the prob in your case,
but its best not to run recording/playback apps off the same drive as win uses..
cos win can interrupt. so the liikkle hard drive heads in the lappie have probs keeping up
servicing win os and the recording app.
the other aspect is lappies like yours use slow internal drives.
some newer lappies use proper 7200 rpm drives for example.
so some people use an external drive for recording//playback.
also you might want to consider a proper sound device sometime.
run tests etc etc .
you may not see all the potential probs in biab itself...
but possibly when you drop traks from biab into a multi tracking daw
running lots of traks n plug ins etc etc.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Quote:

I think [my] Dad is a fast learner. . . . My sis thinks its cool that my Dad uses the net . . . . Dad will be 83 next year.

That's pretty awesome. My dad will be 80 in June, and he's on the web all the time. He used LegalZoom to create his will and living trusts and whatnot, and my 80-year-old father-in-law was the same way. He was totally into Fantasy Football and Baseball, and navigated the fantasy sites easily. He was always picking guys up off the free-agent lists and waiver wires before anyone else! He also used to maintain his own web site for the singles club in his retirement community when he was alive.

Who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks?

T
Apprentice
Apprentice
T
I recently had this problem... turned out I had frozen tracks and I had forgotten to un-freeze and was trying to play a new style... It was definitely unusual for a couple of minutes till I figured it out... Maybe yours was a different problem...

F
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
F
I've never used the frozen tracks feature, that I know of, but that thought had crossed my mind. Maybe I tripped it somehow. I will try to duplicate it with some of the ideas everyone has thrown out.

Mac- you may have hit it with Forte. Seems to me that I switched back and forth between VSC and Forte a few times before it happened. Low resources perhaps.

I mainly wanted Forte to do a higher quality rendering but with those kind of problems, I may just export to midi and pull it into Cubase to render to audio. The drivers in Cubase/Halion are sound pretty good.

My laptop is not the most powerful but the price was right ($0). A friend had it, said it wasn't working and for the price of a new hard drive, I got an almost free laptop.

Thanks to everyone for the great tips. I will check latency and also read through Manning1's post. Looks like that may take me a while. :-)

Ric

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,578
Posts734,617
Members38,498
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai, Tony1234, trustedmedications
38,497 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 192