Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran

Edited..

Last edited by rharv; 03/13/10 06:14 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Here's an idea..

This is clearly a group of thinkers who have strong opinions on various topics. I don't want to see the discussion end, but it could be that this PARTICULAR topic is in danger of making enemies out of people who would otherwise enjoy the fellowship of a shared hobby.

So, to keep discussion alive I am starting a new thread on another less-controversial topic: the search for excellence vs the search for equality. I hope people will particpate there as they have here.

This doesn't mean the party here is over by any means. May we all continue to post as long as we have something to say.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Citaat:

To All,
I value this discussion, because ALL of us have made points which to some may consider to be valid. The other thing is that I've seen no name calling, no personal attacks, or denigration of others as I've seen in other threads.

I too enjoy this debate. Unlike other (non musical) threads I've seen on this forum this is a mature and open discussion. You can oppose another person's point of view but you always have to respect their right to have his/her point of view. Learn from other persons views and decide for yourself what you think is right.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Mike,

I couldn't agree more Mike. There will always be "non-musical" threads on here as long as people are able to type.

We just need to keep it civil.

Take care,
Bob

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Quote:

MI is also a 'shall issue' state, meaning they have the burden of a reason to not give the permit. Pretty specific reasons required. However, open carry in a vehicle is illegal here, it has to be in a case, preferably with lock on case or trigger.

I'm also from Michigan. I'm also a legal, carrying citizen -- have been for half a century.

"... AND shall be placed in the back seat or trunk ... AND all ammo locked in the glove compartment ..."

Where the heck are they going with this?

Maybe the ammo's far enough away from getting into a gun chamber that by the time it takes to do so ... cooler minds might prevail? Is / was that perhaps their thinking?

Of course the guy in Cass Corridor, Michigan driving by me with his 45 pointed at me knows EXACTLY where my ammo is 'cause our legislature has protected him from me! Right? On the other hand, does he REALLY know where my ammo is ???

True enough, I am a DISABLED citizen of Michigan but I am not, nor will I ever be, an UNABLED or disadvantaged citizen. Not any more. Trust me, my protection is IS NOT my cell phone, nor is it a 911 operator! Here's hoping all those guys are making beautiful music tonight instead of 'cruising'. I know, not likely!

Ike
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
These types of vehicle laws are to designed to prevent road rage actions and also to protect officers.

I know, I know, the criminals are the ones not following the laws to begin with, so the officers aren't safer..
however if an officer sees the firearm mis-handled this way he needs no more reason than that to bring you in, whether you pointed it at him or not.

Understand, vehicles are not private, they are public. If you choose to violate that law you better be real careful not get pulled over. You will likely lose any firearm permits and worse yet there is a good chance you will be drawn upon. Trust me, it is not a good feeling.

I was involved in a case of mistaken identity (license plate number only) and was drawn upon by state and local in Texas. Long story short, all charges were thrown out, but it IS something I will remember. Whoever they were after, they were serious about catching. I counted four firearms pointed directly at me.
I'm sure this isn't helping the 'pro-gun' cause, but I thought I would warn you from my experience. I did not possess firearms back then (only 20 yrs old).

When I went before the judge one of the officers said "He got out of the car and immediately put his hands up so he knew something was going on" Well- DUH! Even if I HAD been the guy they were after, who doesn't know what to do in that situation??

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Bob,
Your comment about vehicles being public, not private, at least as far as guns go, seems to be coming under fire.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/politics/2008926967_aptexasgunbill.html

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/arti...in-cars-at-work

http://www.wlwt.com/news/22750863/detail.html

http://inform.com/united-states/fla-guns-work-law-upheld-federal-judge-208573a

FYI, in the state of Washington, if you have a CCW, you may keep a loaded weapon in the car, anywhere you want it. If you do NOT have a CCW, you may transport an unloaded weapon

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Yeah, the post right before mine was from ikeinblackriver who also is in Michigan.

So we were staying with those laws in the above couple posts.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I know, Bob, but many states have the same type of rules that you do, and it is possible that even Michigan will have changes coming in the future. Who knows.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Oh, OK, I see now what you were saying.

Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
Shoot, when I saw the header of this thread I thought you were talking about open-container laws. I really miss being able to keep an open beer between my legs while driving around.

- Bud
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
rharv, not sure i worded it right or if i missed putting the right words together here ... I am a law-abiding, carrying citizen of Michigan. I've never drawn down on anybody in my life, but I have seen the what the inside of a barrel looks like ...

My wife, myself and my 4-year old grandson were coming back from a trip to Cedar Point in Ohio. We were driving north to our home at night driving through a nasty part of Detroit -- pulled off the freeway to get gas, pulled out of the drive the wrong direction, got turned around somehow and had trouble finding the interstate and next thing ... I'm asking for directions in a neighborhood I'd rather not remember. Anyhow, I stop to ask for help at a BP gas station and a car with 4 guys in it pulls in as I'm walking out to my car and points a long-barrel revolver out the window at my wife and grandson. Yep, laughing their as*** off too! My wife cried over that issue. My grandson cried because my wife was so upset. Wife still will not travel with me if I've got to go anywhere near Detroit and my grandson, now 9 tells us he actually remembers the episode. The cop tells me, "Well, by now those boys are home in bed." The officer is telling me I guess that I wasted my time reporting it and I deserved it because I shouldn't be in this neighborhood at night and well, "... they're just boys." After my own research, I sent a long letter to the police chief of Detroit and to the station chief in that neighborhood. I / we never received a phone call or even a letter. Yes, my attitude has soured. I won't wait for someone to protect my family ever again. I have two friends that are state troopers and another, a chief of police for a community close to 200,000 north of Detroit. All of them have told me privately that if it were them, they would not hesitate ... they would protect first and answer questions later. They, themselves don't do anything different (you're not gonna wait and see if the guy's gonna pull the trigger -- not if you want to go home at night). My feelings are exactly the same as my three offer-friends. I get bashed lots because of my feelings about this (I express them freely these days), but it doesn't bother me anymore -- I'm too old to think like that anymore. I can take the criticism. The laws simply don't protect all of us and they've had plenty of time to get it right. Until I'm satisfied that the law will in fact protect me and my family, I'll still carry (and I'll be ready), and I'm hoping that the guys who drew on my family that evening read things like this ... they should know that the next time, I won't wait to see if they're gonna pull the trigger -- joke or not.

So parents (or relation) of these kids, I suggest you keep those kids home where the ought to be! There are plenty of people who feel just the way I do and you wouldn't want your loved-one not coming home some night because of a stupid prank (pointing a weapon at somebody). It happens a lot more frequently than you think it does.

Ike
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

USA is not a democracy, it is a democratic republic.

(Marc said)
I’m sorry, but you’ve lost me completely here.

‘Democracy’ means (very broadly) that it is the people who decide who they are governed by using some form of fair voting system. Surely, this applies to the US of A?

The only democratic republic I am aware of is the DRC, not much of a model for anyone!

Hi Marc

Just a clarification on the theory. Am not pushing this view. Only reciting the theory.

Pure democracy-- "two wolves and a sheep voting on dinner." Or one could turn it around-- "two sheep and a wolf voting who will starve to death". But after you add realistic zeros to the numeric quantities, it gets more bizarre. In the USA 300 million population, a pure democracy could be "150,000,001 wolves and 149,999,999 sheep voting on dinner." Just the tiniest majority would grant right of the majority to totally victimize the minority.

The USA founders were students of history and the theories were discussed at length back then. It was generally acknowledged that historically pure democracies had not persisted very long. It was also generally acknowledged that "power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely". If a 150,000,001 slim majority gets absolute power over the other 149,999,999, it would corrupt just as thoroughly as the corruption of a sole Nero or Caligula. Mob rule.

The republic idea is to divide power into many places so that nobody gets anywhere near absolute power.

* A constitution which enumerates certain things that NO level of government can do to the citizens.

* Enumerate powers that Feds can do, versus powers conferred on states, counties, cities.

* Split the Fed into three relatively co-equal branches. Rock paper scissors. Judicial, Executive, Legislative. The guys who write the law can't enforce the law. The guy who enforces the law can't write the law. The guy who spends the money can't allocate the funds from the treasury. The guy who collects taxes can't set the tax rate. etc.

* States and most counties/cities have similar power decentralization.

* Set up the rules so that NOTHING can be done quickly. Have rules requiring a lot of time and effort to change anything big. I see this as the same as a damping time constant in a feedback electronic circuit. If an electronic control circuit responds too quickly, it tends to over-track and oscillate. You avoid the oscillation by slowing down its slew rate, its speed of response. In government, allows cooler heads to prevail (in theory).

Unfortunately, people have been busy for the last 234 years gradually removing many of the safeguards, so we get closer to a true democracy all the time. And democracies historically do not last a very long time.

James Chandler Jr
http://www.errnum.com/
Off-Topic
R
Apprentice
Apprentice
R
What is it that you "lock" before you load? I've heard that many times.

I've only fired a few guns a few times. I just loaded them then fired.

- Bud
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
James,

Excellent summary! One of the best I've ever read!

Regarding our system of checks and balances: I'm not so sure about the supreme court.

Off-Topic
GDaddy Offline OP
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
....I would guess, lock the clip (magazine) in place then load that first bullet in the chamber.
Like the Marines say..."When in doubt...Unload the Magazine!"

Hopefully you've locked the magazine
in place before you proceed to unload it all, if necessary.

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Supreme court was set up to decide on issues that are not defined and need to be. Somebody has to have final say (using the constitution as a guide). I am glad we do not elect these justices, they are appointed by the person we elect as president but only when a spot becomes available, like one of them retires (or dies).
I wouldn't want them elected, or to have the ability to influence their decisions in other ways (lobbying etc) or rotated with each administration. I think it's a pretty good setup. What issue do you have with it Pat?
As I mentioned, someone has to have the final say on interpretation of law. Checks and balances are great, but there will always be a need for a final decision. I don't necessarily agree with every decision they make, but I don't think I could come up with a better system.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Pat,
I tend to agree with Bob on this one. Because there are nine justices, all serving very long terms, a good cross section of represented. We have Conservative leaning justices, and we have liberal justices, and while they may not agree, they can present differing opinions across the board. They also can not help but influencing one another, over time.

I *could* come up with a better system....but no one but me would like it.

Gary

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The best description I've ever read concerning the Supreme Court:

"Nine scorpions in a bottle"

Wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall....

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I had my moment in Flint, but driving past places in Detroit or Chicago and I just said, John, don't go there. But I was running out of gas. Went through 10 red lights, dudes standing round burned out buildings.

Downtown Toronto has had 3 or 4 people shot in the last 10 years, but I meet Americans all the time there, (the wife and I are going up on Sunday), and they all say the same thing.

1. It's so clean.
2. It's so safe.

Oh well.

If they came here it would be better.

I miss the trips to Romeo, Port Huron, and the other 3 places north of there we paraded as a drum corps, until the fortress America thing came to be, and they took you sandwiches, came in the bus with drawn guns, and kept us if we took our cars for 2 to 4 hours to get in.

I'll still go once in a while, but it has to be a week or longer, 'cause I'm not sitting at customs and getting treated like a terrorist. I have a grey beard, and mustache, no hair, and never even had a ticket. In almost 50 years of driving, only been pulled over once. Cop told me my tire was going flat.

I wish someone would make a gps map with colours, green for ok, blue for maybe ok, orange for maybe not and red for never. That would be good. There might be 400,000 people here, but I need no map to tell me you can go out anywhere at night. Toronto, maybe not, stay our of Scarberia.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,391
Posts732,463
Members38,440
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi, mmpartee
38,439 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195