Print Thread
Go To
#65049 03/12/10 07:03 AM
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi All,
I have taken advice from this forum and tried to include it in this song.

1. It is an AAA song (no chorus)
2. I tried to tell a story in the Lyrics
3. I tried to have the song build as it went along.

The song is my take on Scottish history and aspirations.
It is about gaining independence.

Here it is:- Our Caledonia

If you scroll down there are Lyrics to view.

I would be grateful for your comments.

Best regards
michee

Windows 11 64 bit, Biab 2023 1006, Realband 2023 (1)
i7 Desktop Computer 16Gb Memory

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Hi Michee,

Me likes it. In fact, me likes it a lot. I think you nailed all your goals and then some. I've listened to it thru my three systems and the mix holds up really well in all three. (headphones, Yamaha kp 10's powered by Alesis RA 100, and Event TR-8's with KRK sub)

But you want some comments, and I do have at least one suggestion. The ending note. It's not pretty, it dies a horrible death, and I would urge you to fix that. :>)

Ok, some maybe's. If I were mixing this, I probably would experiment with a few things, just to see if I could get some slight improvements.

1. Vox---Love the effects here and they are done to perfection (to my ears at least. lol) but I would try backing off the reverb on the vox just a little and adding a small amount to the whole mix, hoping that would bring the guitars and vox into the same space more naturally. Any gains here would be small because the guitars and vox sound great as is.

2. Guitars.---I think starting out I would pan them slightly different, and maybe even double the main rhythm guitar. Then starting on the second verse, I would move them a little, and on the third, go to what you have.

3. Levels. I think I would also spend some time riding the volume on some of the instruments. The violin comes to mind as a good example of where this might bring some small improvements.

Ok, I'm on about my sixth listen now, and I'm really enjoying this song. It doesn't really need anything except the ending note fixed. lol

Excellent effort, and thanks for sharing.

Later,
Jim

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Michee,

You did a fantastic job building this song. Perfect !!

It sounds great as is to me. Fantastic song and vocal, wtg !!!

Trax

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Michee, I think you have a potential winner here! I loved it!

Like Jim I think you have to do something with the ending. The song is too good to end like that. Maybe eliminate that last note on the organ(?).

I liked the build on the instruments but for me the vox didn’t build with the song. It was the same volume through out. I thought the effects you used were very good. I would just cut back on the vox’s volume and have it crescendo as the song builds up. Again this is just my two cents and other may or may not agree. I will say that this is a super song and with a few minor adjustments it could be outstanding.

Keep up the good work - MarioD

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Michee,

You've done it again! I really like your song.

Not knowing much about Caledonian history, I'm not sure which person(s) you're talking about. Because of this, my initial thought was that it would be good to have a name in the lyrics but then I read that you wrote this with an anthem in mind. In that case, names are not necessarily needed because the people who will be singing it, know who the song is about.

It's really good to hear your arrangement build. It definitely pulls the listener into the mix. If this was my song, something I'd experiment with would be to build up verses 1 and 2 like you have done and then throttle back for verse 3 and build up through verses 4 and 5 culminating with a spectacular and "proud" final verse. The kind of "teasing" that happens by building up an arrangement and then coming back down and building up again adds a good emotional contour to a song.

If you're interested in hearing what I'm trying to say about emotional contours, have a listen to the below Westlife song (Josh Groban also does a spectacular version of this song). It has anthem-like qualities. By riding the crest of an emotional wave created by the arranger, hear how the listener is lifted up and down as the song progresses. To me, this song is a very satisfying musical journey. What makes it all the more surprising is that this song is only one verse and one chorus yet the arranger manages to engage the listener for 4 consecutive repetitions of the chorus (a total of 4 minutes!). To my way of thinking, that's an amazing accomplishment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4DJHOzIxvs
lyrics

One approach that I find handy, is physically to draw the emotional contour as the song develops. It's like drawing a graph. As the song plays, I draw slowly from left to right on some paper. When the intensity of the mix increases (or decreases) I draw up (or down) the paper while still moving left to right. The steepness of my gradients indicates how quick the intensity change occurred. (This was a tip that I picked up from Stephen Webber (grammy award winning producer). I find this approach very helpful when listening to songs I like because it helps me understand how I might develop my own arrangements.)

The above are just thoughts. Please feel free to take them or leave them as you wish. I just love listening to each of your new songs. Keep up the excellent work. I must say, I really enjoy hearing where the muse takes you. You're a talented man.

All the best,
Noel

Last edited by Noel96; 03/14/10 04:19 AM.

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Michee,

I liked the way you start out sparsely accompanied, then build from there. It is a very nice song. Your songs always have a finished sound to them that I really like.

Your vocals are so dang GOOD, I was expecting you to add some harmony, but it never came. You could flaunt it because you've got it. (Put that in the back of your thinking as you develop your ideas.)

The idea of building momentum in a song is particularly interesting in the context of an anthem, because the potential already exists to stir the listener's emotions.

Off-Topic
E
Apprentice
Apprentice
E
Hi michee,
This is a really nice song which is very well performed and a well presented story. I like the way it builds and the choice of instruments. The mix is perfect and your singing very good indeed. I agree that the end was not quite right for the ending but apart from this it was a professional performance. Well done.
Jim

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
jim111

Yes I agree that the ending needs working on - it slipped past my tired ears
Quote:

I think I would also spend some time riding the volume on some of the instruments

Well I have a real problem with that - on my PC (which is at least 8 years old, it is a Sony Vaio 222) when I try to adjust the volume sliders in RealBand they are not responsive enough i.e. there is a time lag that gets worse the more tracks I have.

If anybody can help me with that I would be most grateful.

Muzic Trax

Thank you for taking a listen and your kind comments.

MarioD

Quote:

I liked the build on the instruments but for me the vox didn’t build with the song. It was the same volume through out.

See my answer above - I haven't yet been able to control the volume whilst the song is playing.
Any tips or help would be marvellous.

Noel96

The song is about the Scottish Pretender to the throne "Bonnie Prince Charming" and how we lost our independence.
We may one day get it back again.

Quote:

One thing that I find handy, is physically to draw the emotional contour as the song develops. It's like drawing a graph. As the song plays, I draw slowly from left to right on some paper. When the intensity of the mix increases (or decreases) I draw up (or down) the paper while still moving left to right. The steepness of my gradients indicates how quick the intensity change occurred. (This was a tip that I picked up from Stephen Webber (grammy award winning producer). I find this approach very helpful when listening to songs I like because it helps me understand how I might develop my own arrangements.)

I will definitely give that a go as I can see how it may be a great help - Thank you Noel

Pat Marr

Quote:

I was expecting you to add some harmony, but it never came.

I am saving up for Melodyne as I find the TC Helicon just a tad too mechanical to my ears.

enjfb

Thank you for taking a listen and your kind comments.

Best regards
michee

Last edited by George Nelson; 03/14/10 05:51 AM.

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Quote:

I was expecting you to add some harmony, but it never came.

I am saving up for Melodyne as I find the TC Helicon just a tad too mechanical to my ears.

But... but.... YOU CAN SING!!

People like ME who can't sing use melodyne and TCHelicon. People like YOU are what we're trying to sound like! With your voice, you could add harmonies the way singers have been doing it for centuries: by singing a parallel track! And it wouldn't cost anything! (it's one of the perks of being talented)

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Michee, nice song very well sung and it built very nicely. I enjoyed it.
(Oh, if you're going to rebuild Hadrian's wall, can you please be sure and take back Gordon Brown and Alistair Darling first, PLEASE!)

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Pat,

I still have problems with intonation (making the vocal come alive)
I thought perhaps Melodyne would help in that respect because believe me I have tried and tried but it just wont come.

regards
michee

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Skyline,

NO NO NO NO I'm afraid you can keep them both with my best wishes

Thanks for taking a listen and having the wherewithal to comment

regards
michee

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Hi Pat,

I still have problems with intonation (making the vocal come alive)
I thought perhaps Melodyne would help in that respect because believe me I have tried and tried but it just wont come.

regards
michee

I respect your opinion on your own voice... but to me it sounds excellent... one of the best in the forum

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
George, this is a cracking song. I'd love to include it in my next internet radio programme. ( April )

Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Graham,

I would be humbled to have you play my song on your internet radio.

Would you let me know how I can listen to it please (your radio show)

Thank you for your kind comments.

Best regards

michee

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
A fine piece of nationalism you've carved there Michee.
A brave project with a fine outcome. My Fraser forebears apparently came from Aberdeen in the late 1700s - most likely Fraser Highlanders discharged in Nova Scotia after the American Revolution. but I canna trace the first one back to the home country.

Was this in response to a local "homegrown" historical anthem search? I ask because I once entered an Olympic Song Contest for the Montreal 76 Olympics. Didn't win of course but I got a good song out of it. Doesn't inspiration work in strange ways.

Cheers - Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Off-Topic
Expert
OP Offline
Expert
Hi Ian,

Quote:

Was this in response to a local "homegrown" historical anthem search? I ask because I once entered an Olympic Song Contest for the Montreal 76 Olympics. Didn't win of course but I got a good song out of it. Doesn't inspiration work in strange ways.

I wrote the song as we are coming up to a General Election in Great Britain.

The Scots can vote but we have our own "Devolved Parliament" but the British Government hold sway over lots of things that I don't agree with.

So the song was my way of showing that I am in favour of "Independence for Scotland".

Yes, you are right about inspiration coming at strange times/places/memories etc...

Thank you for your nice comments.

Best regards
michee

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,393
Posts732,477
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195