Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#68080 - 03/29/10 10:26 PM [Off-Topic] Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it?
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
I thought this was an interesting dialog. The TED talks are usually enlightening.

It's 23 mins, so you you are forewarned. LOL. But it is worth watching.

The link is:

http://wimp.com/moralquestions/

If you take time to watch it, please let me know your thoughts.

This isn't political, ideaological or religious, by the way, in any way shape or form.

I just found it very interesting. And for a musical note, "shave and a haircut,..........two bits".

Bob

#68081 - 03/29/10 11:30 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

And for those who may be interested, the home page for TED is:

http://www.ted.com/

Good stuff. Well worth taking time to watch.

Bob

Edited by bobcflatpicker (03/30/10 07:42 AM)

#68082 - 03/30/10 06:59 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Sorry, Off topic is supposed to be related to music or PG products and our use or thoughts.

I have a wide range of opinions on a whack of things, but have recently made a decision to stay on topic here, as much as possible, unless you start to attack my (and I used this word recently which got me a lot of PM's), ethnocentric POV.

#68083 - 03/30/10 08:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
Axegrinder01 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Texas
Off Topic is indeed supposed to be about music related items.

However, I have seen a lot of discussions here on marginally or non-music related subjects.

Perhaps an area for non-music discussions is warranted. There are a lot of pretty smart folks on this forum from many countries and backgrounds, so I always learn something when reading the various views and opinions expressed here.

#68084 - 03/30/10 08:55 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
MikeK Offline
Veteran

Loc: Buford, GA
"Yeah"

Edited by MikeK (03/30/10 08:56 AM)

My Music * PC: Avatar FX8366ice AMD FX-8350(4.0GHz) 16GB DDR3 6TB HDD+128GB SSD HDD Capacity NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Win 10 64-Bit. AKAI EIE PRO Sound Interface. BIAB/RB 2018

#68085 - 03/30/10 10:52 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: MikeK]
Wyndham Offline
Expert

Quote:

Robert Gupta, violinist with the LA Philharmonic, talks about a violin lesson he once gave to a brilliant, schizophrenic musician -- and what he learned. Called back onstage later, Gupta plays his own transcription of the prelude from Bach's Cello Suite No. 1.

Here is a discussion on music that is realy at the heart of who we are here whether we are proficient at this craft or simple love the emotions of music.
This is off the link:
http://www.ted.com/

#68086 - 03/30/10 11:45 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Quote:

#270070 - Tue Mar 30 2010 03:59 AM
Sorry, Off topic is supposed to be related to music or PG products and our use or thoughts.

John,

It’s interesting that you posted that on my thread just 9 minutes after starting a non-musical thread of your own:

Quote:

Close all forums?
#270069 - Tue Mar 30 2010 03:50 AM
Quick Reply

Let's have at it, pros and cons.

This is not controversy for it's own sake, it's thinking outside the box.
Move the forums to Facebook.

Cons:
1. Leave things alone, change is bad.
2. We are comfortable here, stay in our neighbourhood. (Why does it insist I spell that word wrong?)
3. Hmm.

Pros:
1. You can easily post videos, photos and everyone hangs out there = sales.
2. More sales equals more development.
3. This type of forum is outdated, and makes communication harder.

I don't know, it was a hmm moment, maybe I'm way off base, maybe not. There is a facebook group, just it's quiet...they don't even post stuff like the last build there.

Have at it guys and gals.....

Maybe we should all try and do both...???

BTW, due to Canadian laws on privacy Facebook had to make a bunch of changes and allow you options.

--------------------
John Conley
The Best Backing Tracks at PGmusic!
www.plumbingfactorybrassband.com

That’s pretty hypocritical of you, don’t you think? Or is it a “do as I say, not as I do” type of thing?

The link I posted wasn’t contentious, just interesting. Since most of the PG’ers are a pretty open minded bunch, I thought they would enjoy it.

Bob

#68087 - 03/30/10 11:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: Wyndham]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Wyndham,

Thanks for the heads up on that on. I hadn't watched it before.

Robert Gupta: Music is medicine, music is sanity

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_gupta.html

Bob

#68088 - 03/30/10 12:32 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
rubberball103 Offline
Apprentice

Loc: NW corner of S. Nowhere
So, can music save your mortal soul?

#68089 - 03/30/10 12:41 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
The post about the forums is related to the mass marketing of a piece of music software. You are nit picking.

#68090 - 03/30/10 12:42 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

rubberball103,

Quote:

Nope.

Bob

#68091 - 03/30/10 12:44 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: John Conley]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

No Conley, you were "nit picking" when you chose to comment on this thread. I was simply pointing out your hypocrisy.

Bob

#68092 - 03/30/10 01:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Axegrinder01 Offline
Enthusiast

Maybe a sub-forum called 'Way, way Off Topic!' Non-music related rants and opinions...

Actually, I really enjoy the vast diversity of opinions expressed here, especially from the non-USA folks. We Yanks get too insular about ourselves too often, in my opinion, and I like to hear from some different perspectives. Note that we Texans don't cotten to being called 'Yanks' very much, but we are a laid-back bunch for the most part and take that moniker in stride...mostly.

#68093 - 03/30/10 03:53 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
rubberball103 Offline
Apprentice

Quote:

rubberball103,

Quote:

Nope.

Bob

Don McClean said so!

#68094 - 03/30/10 03:54 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
rubberball103 Offline
Apprentice

Picnicing is better than nitpicking.

#68095 - 03/30/10 07:52 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
Glenn Kolot Offline
Veteran

Loc: Victoria BC home of PG Music
If one needs to "get into it" with political/religious/moral/etc topics, I would suggest this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52

They sure know how to get into it.

Glenn

#68096 - 03/31/10 08:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: Glenn Kolot]
Axegrinder01 Offline
Enthusiast

Glenn: I've been a registered Harmony Central forum member for quite some time now. Yes, they do 'get into it', but not in a very logical and rational way sometimes, and there is a lot of swearing and flaming, etc.

At least here we can discuss some things from our own viewpoints with a bit of self restraint and courtesy. I find the folks here to be a very talented and pretty well-informed group, so i almost always learn something new from these 'off topic' discussions, and that's why I read them. None of my opinions are carved into stone, so I can change them and have changed some of them. I especially like to hear from folks outside of North America to get a more global perspective.

In any event, I'd like to have a place here where some non-music related topics can be discussed civilly and rationally. I don't see this getting out of hand or becoming a flame war, and it would be very informative and educational in my opinion.

#68097 - 03/31/10 11:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: Axegrinder01]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Something that puzzled me about this thread is there's nothing contentious about the original link.

There's no side to take. It's simply thought provoking. I just wonder how many people actually watched the link.

Maybe I shouldn't have said it was 23 mins long! LOL.

Bob

#68098 - 04/01/10 02:43 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Wyndham Offline
Expert

Bob I watched several minutes of the video and formed an opinion that was neither in favor or against his opening statements.
My thought was that again we have differences on language and the assumptions that are drawn as the basis for the discussion. There again this is neither pro or con, but the use of a subset of a language(science) to frame a context that for the speaker is valid but not to everyone in the extended group.
I wish to point out that even if every thing that he said was a valid argument the other video that I referred to about music and the communication with someone that the baseline of society disallows as a member shows that for mentally disabled, his language context can not be reconciled with the moral/science debate. My conclusion is that as most things like that it sounds interesting but is revelation's to a select group is like a tree falling in the forest, only if the tree hits me in the head does it matter.
Wyndham

#68099 - 04/01/10 05:03 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Science can answer moral questions. ...Or can it? [Re: rubberball103]
RickeG Offline
Journeyman

Hey rubberball, we would have to ask Buddy Holly that question since he was the one Don had in mind when he wrote the day the music died.

BTW, did anyone ever see Nacho Libre when Jack Black's tag team partner would say when asked abuot his beliefs is "I believe in science." Then, Nacho fills a little basin and dunks his team mates head in it to baptize him. Too funny! You had to see it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 - Mac Power Users Discussion

David Sparks and Katie Floyd discuss a variety of topics in their recent episide of Mac Power Users: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/432 - listen all the way through (and laugh along with them - it was a very entertaining episode!), or jump to 1:37:40 where David shares his thoughts on Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Mac!

Thank you David and Katie!

Polish New Features Video for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Our Polish Distributor, Sound Station, has finished their Band-in-a-Box 2018 New Features summary video (in Polish!) - click here to watch.

We hope all our Polish Band-in-a-Box users find this video helpful - thank you Sound Station!

YouTube Find - Love it (with Band-in-a-Box 2018)

YouTube channel EmtpyHallToones uploaded a video of their guitar performance using Band-in-a-Box backing tracks!

Click here to watch.

Get to Know the 202 NEW RealTracks Released with Band-in-a-Box® 2018!

We released 202 NEW RealTracks with Band-in-a-Box® 2018! Learn more about these new RealTracks when you watch our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - 202 NEW RealTracks.

These new RealTracks (in Sets 278-300) are included in every Band-in-a-Box® 2018 UltraPAK, Audiophile Edition, or the PlusPAK upgrade - the Mac packages are on sale until June 30th!

Learn even more about the new RealTracks and listen to demos here.

Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks Tutorial Video for Mac

With Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac®, we've introduced Vocal "Oohs" and "Aahs" RealTracks. This video shows you the different ways you can use these versatile new RealTracks.

Video link: www.pgmusic.com/?vid=zkO-AtAPv4g

You can also listen to demos of RealTracks Set 278: Shiny Vocal Oohs & Aahs here.

This RealTracks Set is available for just $29, and is also included in RealPAK 14: Country, and the Band-in-a-Box® UltraPAK, Audiophile, or 2018 PlusPAK Upgrade.

Video RealTracks for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Special Pricing Until June 30th!

With the recent Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release, we also released Video RealTracks Sets!

Video RealTracks allow you to see the RealTracks artist playing that track - you can use them just like any other RealTrack, and you can generate a video which will display the musician playing your song exactly as you hear it. You can also include a chord sheet or notation in the video.

We've added Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band to our Free Bonus PAK included in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac packages during our release special (which ends June 30th!).
Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band is included in the 2018 49-PAK, along with 40 Bonus UNRELEASED RealTracks, 22 MIDI SuperTracks, 101 Instrumental Studies, and Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé.

SPECIAL OFFER: During our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac release special, purchase our "Video RealTracks Set 3-6 Special Bundle Offer" to complete your purchase with the remaining Video RealTracks Sets for the low price of just $49! Learn more.

Learn more about the new Video RealTracks and see them in action: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=fzkX6jO_hW4

Band-in-a-Box® Version 2018 is a HIT!

Since the release Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac, we've received some great feedback!

"The added Piano Roll Window is... WONDERFUL!"
"Adding the Piano Roll Window is a BIG DEAL - thanks PG Music!"
"This significantly changes how I will use Band-in-a-Box in the future."
"And yet again you manage to come up with styles and instruments that we absolutely must have!"
"Great to have the Oohs and Ahhs RealTracks!"
"The RealTracks are worth their weight in gold to me. They really are an amazing invention for music creators."
"Just tonight popped together a quick video using one of the new video styles. Must say the whole process worked without a hitch so this really does look like a great new feature. And what a great teaching aid! "
"Such a comprehensive source for music making!"
"THIS IS EXCITING!"
"The new Audio Chord Wizard is my favorite new feature!"
"This should be great for creating backing tracks for covers."
"Oh wow. This has got to be the coolest enhancement in Band-in-a-Box 2018. This is so-o-o powerful. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!"
"A brilliant piece of software!"
"What a release!!!"
"THEY DO NO PAY ME BUT if you don't own this you are crazy."
"Been using Band in a Box for years!! Great product for composing. I absolutely love the background vocals in Band-in-a-Box 2018."
"My compliments to the PG Music team who have once again have delivered an incredible collection of new styles and RealTracks to Band-in-a-Box this year!"
"There is still so much to explore and work with!"
"Love the new Video RealTracks!"
"The mixer included into the StylePicker is a great addition."
"Recent retirement and the 2018 version of BIAB is a perfect combination!!"
"The XTRA Styles are fantastic... any future idle music-related minutes I may have had are now totally gone... gonna find that perfect background rhythm on just about every one of my favorites!!!"
"I bought this Band-in-a-Box 2018 and I love it , it is amazing to work with!!!!!"
"...it's educational utility and the potential is awesome!!!"
"I must say, the new harmony options in particular have me chomping at the bit!"
"This will give my students a great overview of what's going on in an arrangement with the different instruments.!!!"
"A musician must have."
"Lovin' the new RealTracks!!!"
"This is amazing software!"
"Thank you for a wonderful tool for both musicians and singers - I can never say enough about this amazingly versatile product!"

Forum Stats
27611 Members
50 Forums
52202 Topics
432002 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
MichLeon, dave1990, mucheyielts2018, bpran, smokinop

27610 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Icelander 189
Noel96 165