Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
#73200 - 05/18/10 11:31 AM [RealBand] RealBand TUTORIALS!
RayThigpen Offline

Loc: Georgia
I am amazed at how many emails I have received and continue to receive regarding the RB Tutorial (and other tutorials) I created and posted back in 2008. Persons contact me and tell me how much the tutorials have helped them to immediately express their learning and knowledge of RB by creating and producing files in RB. Many have written me and told me without the tutorials, they would have "never gotten the understanding" of how to use it. Some have said they have produced several songs by using my Tutorials and now understand how to use RB to its fullest advantage.

I'm not saying anything here to pat myself on the back or put a feather in my cap, I'm simply saying I am SO DELIGHTED that those tutorials have been USEFUL to some of you and that they got you to recording and producing music rather than bundling up the software and sending it back. That tickles me beyond measure. I listen to and look at those tutorials now and I think, "Oh my gosh.... how could anyone have gotten anything from those old thangs." But many of you have and I'm so glad I was able to impart something that made learning and using RB better for you. Thanks to everyone who has written... all of you have been so kind and so complimentary for a set of "primitive tools" that i put out there. But at the end of the day.... I'm so glad I was able to HELP! That's the best part of it. And your kind words sure brighten my day. Thank you all ---- you know who you are.

In case someone hasn't tried them: Tutorials

Dear me.......... I should update those ole tutorials............

And to think ---- i almost deleted those ole tutorials about a year ago. So glad I didn't!

#73201 - 05/18/10 01:14 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: RayThigpen]
dbigers Offline

Having just upgraded to BIAB UltraPAk from 2008.5, this is my first exposure to RealBand. Part of my thought process for the upgrade was that in addition to the absolute value from getting all those RealTracks as opposed to buying them individually, I would also be getting RealBand.

With 2008.5 I used CubaseLE with my Lexicon Alpha to record over BIAB tracks. Your tutorial was the primer that I needed to get started with RealBand, effectively eliminating my need to use Cubase. I am sure that the veterans here could have easily got up to speed with RealBand, coming from any DAW, but your tutorial was like a quickstart for me.

I want to add also that RealBand could be promoted a little more prominently. PGMusic regulars are well aware of RealBand. A new user coming in though might not immediately realise what all RealBand has to offer.

Especially since BIAB now comes with RealBand. It would be nice to see a page attached to the BIAB page that provides an overview of all the DAW features of RealBand. At present, most of the links for RealBand take you to a page about BIAB. There is a one paragraph blurb about it on the PG front page. You can click to get more information on the new features. But that page just says "and many more at the bottom". It does not contain a feature list. And again, that page mentions that RealBand is included with BIAB--with a link to the BIAB page.

That link takes you to this page.

Near the bottom of that one is the paragraph about RealBand. Then it says click for full feature list. Which takes you to---

New features. There is a video introduction to RealBand, but a detailed feature list would be nice.

Thanks again for your tutorials, they helped me get up to speed.

#73202 - 05/18/10 07:03 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: RayThigpen]
pghboemike Offline

thanks for the tutorials

how's your health these days
Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2017 everything pk both with Current builds

#73203 - 11/07/12 12:40 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: RayThigpen]
toucher Offline

Loc: Arizona
Good to hear from you Ray...

Hopfully your being back on the forum is a sign that your health is improving. Your tutorials helped me a lot, I still have them on file somewhere.

Dang....This is addicting.

#73204 - 11/07/12 01:07 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: toucher]
rockstar_not Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO, USA
Forum members, if I'm not mistaken, Ray passed away October 2011. I recently surfaced some of Ray's recordings that are still on SoundClick and folks were asking about Ray's tutorials. I think that's why these recently surfaced.

#73205 - 11/07/12 06:50 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: rockstar_not]
rharv Offline

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
One of us should have grabbed that domain, or at least those files ... anybody download them?
Make your sound your own!

#73206 - 11/07/12 07:14 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: rharv]
MountainSide Offline

Loc: Florida
Using the internet archive "Wayback Machine", I was able to pull up this work link from February 25, 2009. Here's the working link:

Looks like only the PDF's have survived and not the videos.

Edited by MountainSide (11/07/12 07:16 PM)
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700k, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB 2018v513, RB 2018v5, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express XT, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.7 SampleTank 3.7

#73207 - 11/07/12 09:24 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: MountainSide]
jford Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
I've got the video tutorials on my hard drive. I'll upload them and post links (for a little while).

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#73208 - 11/07/12 09:52 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: jford]
jford Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida
Here are Ray's video tutorials. These are called "BIAB to PowerTracks (not RealBand), but the concepts are the same. They are a little dated, being from 2008, but hopefully they can help a few people out.

Below is the text from his website (from the Wayback Machine reference MountainSide posted:

Video Tutorials

Basic: From Band-in-a-Box to PowerTracks Pro

These Tutorials are in ZIP format and will unzip to an EXE file to run. In the zip file for Tutorial #1, I've included a necessary screen codec to properly display the tutorials in Windows Operating System. But it is no longer needed.

After unzipping, run each EXE file by double-clicking on the EXE filename.

There will be a vid-player at the top of your screen, which can be minimized during the running of the video tutorial. In addition, there are controls for pause, resume and stop.

Tutorial #1 - (13MB)
Preparing a BIAB file for PowerTracks Pro (midi)

Tutorial #2 - (26MB)
Mixing in PowerTracks Pro - Part 1

Tutorial #3 - (43MB)
Mixing in PowerTracks Pro - Part 2

Tutorial #4 - (49MB)
Mastering in PowerTracks Pro

Note: These tutorials were made with a software product Screen Recorder by

HP Win10Pro-64, 8GB
ASUS Win10Pro-64, 16GB
HP Win7Pro-64, 8GB

H/W-Behringer U-Phoria UMC404HD, Casio Kbds
S/W-BB/RB2018/Sonar/Reaper/Studio One/Samplitude/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Noteworthy/NI Komplete/Halion/Garritan/IK

#73209 - 11/08/12 06:41 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: jford]
MountainSide Offline

Loc: Florida
Thanks John, appreciate you posting these.
Win10x64, Intel i7 7700k, 32Gb RAM, 2x1Tb HD, 500Gb NVMe, BIAB 2018v513, RB 2018v5, MOTU 828MK3 audio, MOTU Midi Express XT, Yamaha DX7II, TX802, Motif XS Rack, Roland Fantom XR Rack, Oberheim Matrix 1000, VoiceLive Touch, Kontakt 5.7 SampleTank 3.7

#73210 - 11/18/12 02:23 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: MountainSide]
Neatlick Offline

Loc: Sweden
Thanks for bring this file up, it's what I have looking for. Now I can have MOORE FUN!!

#73211 - 11/23/12 11:41 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: jford]
Curmudgeon Offline

Loc: Henderson, NV
Thanks John,

I was trying to find these a while back.

Good stuff to review. I've got them saved now.

Don S.
Songs of the Church - MP3 Player

#73212 - 12/06/12 10:29 AM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: Curmudgeon]
Larry Kehl Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Also thank you John

I thought I had these squirreled away somewhere until I went to look for them - when reading this thread

Win7&10 Pro 64,i7-2600k,32GB,1OTBs HDD,RX480 8GB,FW-410,MIDIplus4x4,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,GR-50,Integra7, XV5080,Fantom-XR,QSR,SC-8850,Nanosynth,SPLAT,AD2,ST3,Kontakt 5,Amptube4,way too many other VSTi's - but I'm really a guitar player

#73213 - 12/15/12 01:05 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: Larry Kehl]
Rachael Offline

I didn't see this one posted. Click HERE

#73214 - 12/15/12 04:11 PM [RealBand] Re: RealBand TUTORIALS! [Re: Rachael]
sixchannel Offline

Hi Rachael
The link doesn't come up.
(I'm on a Gig break and using an Android if that makes a difference.)

Edited by sixchannel (12/15/12 04:12 PM)
Old Guys Rule.The older I get,the better I was!

BB2018Plus,512,RB5,Cakewalk GTPro2(2003),Adobe Audition1.5(2003),WindowsXPPro and Win7

for tracks that use BIAB specifically-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 - Cleaned-up BB folder!

It's the first day of spring today, which means it's time to start spring cleaning!

We cleaned up the BB folder with our release of Band-in-a-Box® 2018. Over the years, this folder has been growing - there were up to 10,000 files in there! We've fixed this and put the files into various folders. This is done with a cleanup routine. The cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually by selecting the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine.

The cleanup routine does the following:
-Moves Styles files (.STY/.STX) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Styles.
-Moves Soloists files (.ST2/.XT2) from C:\bb to C:\bb\Soloists.
-Moves various Demo folders to C:\Demos.
-Moves various songs and lessons folders to C:\bb\Songs and Lessons.
-Moves various files essential for running Band-in-a-Box to C:\bb\Data and C:\bb\Data\Lib.
-Moves various preferences files to C:\bb\Preferences.
-Moves tutorial demo songs, program manuals (.pdf), and the help file (.chm) to C:\bb\Documentation.

Oliver Gannon Interview - Appointed to the Order of Canada!

Oliver Gannon (Peter Gannon's brother), was appointed to the Order of Canada in recognition for "his achievements as a musician" on December 29, 2017!

Oliver recently sat for an interview with CBC's Hot Air host Margaret Gallagher - read a summary and listen to the interview at

'I don't know ... why they chose me. But I'm very glad and I'm not giving it back'
-Oliver Gannon

To be clear, and avoid any confusion, there are two brothers: Peter Gannon is the "Band-in-a-Box" PG Music guy, and Oliver Gannon is the jazz guitarist who just won the Order of Canada.

#Monday Motivation - Free Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Want to snag yourself a free Band-in-a-Box® hard drive? Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at

User Tip - Custom Drum Shots

Have you ever wanted more control of the RealDrums generated within Band-in-a-Box? (example: with the same consecutive shot/hold/push)

Forum user Pipeline shared their steps in an incredibly detailed forum post to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out: Custom Drum Shots.

#FunFactFriday - Team PG!

Did you know... Within Band-in-a-Box®, choose Help | About Band-in-a-Box, and you'll see more than just information on the program - you'll also see a complete list of Team PG - we're currently at 35 team members!

#TBT - Automatic Soloing in Band-in-a-Box® 7!

Band-in-a-Box® 7 included some great new features - like Automatic Soloing! This introduced program users to the powerful Soloist capabilities of Band-in-a-Box®, which also includes the Soloist Maker.

Automatic Soloing!
Pick any song or chords in any style, and choose a "soloist." Band-in-a-Box® then creates and plays a professional quality solo in the style of your choice. Previous versions of Band-in-a-Box created great accompaniment. Now you can hear sensational solos as well - showing you exactly what notes are played. Choose from "soloists" in the style similar to great Jazz musicians such as Django Reinhardt, John Coltrane, or Country/Pop soloists and others, or create your own soloists using the "Soloist Maker."

Soloist Maker
This module allows you to define your own soloists. For example, let's say you want to create a soloist in a style similar to the style of "John Coltrane" - the great Jazz saxophonist. The Soloist Maker allows you to define the parameters essential to Coltrane's playing, such as instrument range (i.e. tenor saxophone), extra legato playing, playing more on top of the beat than typical Jazz musicians, and playing straighter 8th notes than usual Swing 8th notes. Also, you can set phrasing options, such as how long the phrase should be and how much "space" to leave between phrases. You can also set how "outside" the playing should be. In the case of a John Coltrane style - you set that to the maximum! Then "turn him loose" and hear the soloist play over any song!

Review all of the features added with Band-in-a-Box® 7:

#TechTipTuesday - Opening MIDI Tracks in PowerTracks Pro Audio

Open your MIDI file in PowerTracks Pro Audio (or RealBand), and you'll see the instruments separated onto their own track - an excellent way to hear all the instruments individually for that song, and a great way to learn!

There's no trick to it either - just use the File | Open dialog, locate the MIDI file, and click [Open].

Note: Type 0 MIDI files have all channels on one track, and should ask whether you want to separate them. If you accidentally chooses no, hit Edit - MIDI - Extract Channels to Tracks. Typically, Type 1 MIDI files have the instruments automatically separated.

Forum Stats
27253 Members
49 Forums
50724 Topics
417448 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
printman73, atc, Dangelico, macsam, MarkSnyder

27252 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
VideoTrack 177
Matt Finley 173