Print Thread
Go To
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Garritan Jazz & Big Band 3 is now available for a new lower price of $149.95

Review:
http://www.garritan.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=144&Itemid=56

Online Purchase:
http://www.garritan.com/store/shop/products/

Ike
Veteran
Veteran
Thanx for the heads up.

I looks like I just lost another $50!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi Mario

You can upgrade for $49 i have just upgraded GPO and BB-JB

Dave

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Jazzband,
You upgraded from the Pocket Orchestra? Did you GPO come with Cakewalk Sonar? Or, did you but it as a stand alone?

Also, as I listen to the samples, questiokn for you trumpters out there. One the first track on the web site (Scream Trumpet) how would you go about creating the shrills in MIDI? Then, there are those notes almost like ghost notes in that they lead up to the punch or accent note. Do you have to manually enter each of those notes? Or, is there a MIDI function that will communicate these techniques for trumpet?

As I am listening to the other tracks, they are sounding very impressive. I almost wish they would let you see the MIDI parts go by as it plays so you can get an idea of how it was written.

Thanks, Russell!
RickeG

Last edited by RickeG; 05/19/10 12:12 PM.
J
Expert
Expert
J
Hi

On the BB&JB which had the Kontact player somebody made a Script program to help you program the different instruments but on the Aria player you don`t have as much help in the programing of instruments,but i use a WX5 windcontroller and have never bothered to learn how to make the clarinet sound better ,when you go on the Garittan web site and listen to the pro`s playing their tunes it can be done if you got the time to learn,when you just upgrade you dont get anything extra

regards Dave Hoskins

I always play the right notes but not always in the right order
Expert
Expert
I'm not familar with this program Russell. How does it work with BIAB?

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Keith,

With BIAB this will work as a simple VST plug-in and uses a 'light' version of the Kontact player (if you don't already use the Kontact product).

If you're not familiar with installing VST plug-in's with BIAB ...

1. Click AUDIO menu, then DXi SETTINGS menu item
2. Under the SYNTH TRACK tab, click the selector under the PLUGIN heading
3. Scroll to the bottom of the list and select ADD VSTi PLUGIN ...
4. Follow the directions that comes with the Garratan product.

Ike
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

... for you trumpters out there. One the first track on the web site (Scream Trumpet) how would you go about creating the shrills in MIDI? Then, there are those notes almost like ghost notes in that they lead up to the punch or accent note

Before I bought the product I was wondering the same thing myself. You'll find most of what you're looking for at their website / forum as I recall coming across this very question over there. So far I'm finding that it's a little of what I'm finding over there plus a bit of old fashioned trial and error. If I find a direct solution to your question I'll re-post. Anyone else care to try ...

Ike
Veteran
Veteran
In the original J&BB (Kontakt version) shakes were controlled by the sustain pedal (CC64) when the pedal values are between 49-95. Velocity controls the attack strength, CC28 controls the attack speed and CC20 controls portamento.

All of this and more about shakes were explained on page 25 of the original manual. Hopefully these attributes were carried over to the Aria version. I haven’t upgraded yet so could one of you see if the above is still the case in the Aria version. Many thanx.

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
I loaded JABB 3 yesterday. A 1.07gb download. It only took me 4 hrs. on a 65.5kbs
medium speed Internet connection. I have had the old version for several years
but only used it occasionally. The new version has a lot more control but it sounds
basically the same. I only use the Trumpets and Sax's and the Piano. The tenor Sax
sounds pretty good after a lot of tweaking but the Trumpets are pretty lame right
out of the box. I never could get a Trumpet to sound any better than the VSC Trumpet.
It requires more skill than I possess. I can get the Harmon mute to sound pretty
good though. All in all I think it is a lot better than Forte except it is limited to
Melody, Soloist and Thru channels.
Dave

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

All in all I think it is a lot better than Forte except it is limited to
Melody, Soloist and Thru channels.

Dave,

I'm not sure what you're saying here. If I'm using this in Realband and I've installed the Garritan's VSTi plugin in Realband, why am I limited to Melody, Soloist and Thru channels? Are you saying that I cannot use Garritan with any track I want in Realband or are you referring to a restriction imposed by BIAB?

BTW, thanks for the heads up on your experience with Garritan. I've been really looking forward to it's release and now that I've got it I'm afraid I'm definitely going to need some extra help with this concept (or any other plugin product for that matter).

Thanks to all in advance for your knowledge on this.

Ike
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Russell,

I was referring to BIAB only. I really don't use real band. I have been a sonar supporter
for many years. We mainly use the Real Drums and Bass for our jazz gigs. All recording is done in Sonar 8.5 Producer.
The JABB was a great tool before Realtracks. I had such a bad experience trying to
use ASIO in BIAB that I finally bought a Dell XPS 16 with I7 core processor with Win 7.
Now the VSC doesn't work and Hyper Canvass or TTS 1 just didn't cut it.
At least with JABB3 it sounds pretty good to rehearse with.

Dave

Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Would anyone else care to comment on this? I'm wondering if I can use this for all tracks or just BIAB melody, soloist, thru? If it can't, mine's boxed and ready to go back!

Ike
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Does anyone know why it's called JABB 3? I don't recall seeing a JABB 2 and if the reviews here are correct, it doesn't sound different from JABB 1.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Russell,

You can use it with the BIAB Bass, Piano, Guitar, Melody and Soloist just like the VSC.
The difference is that you have to open the ARIA player to change patches and volume.
I only use the Piano, Melody and Solo track with Real Drums and Real Bass. In my opinion
it is the best software solution available for 64 bit operating systems.

The new Roland SD 50 looks promising although it appears to be based on the older GM
samples like the SD 20 and not the newer Phantom series. I would like to hear from someone that actually has one.

Dave

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Would anyone else care to comment on this? I'm wondering if I can use this for all tracks or just BIAB melody, soloist, thru? If it can't, mine's boxed and ready to go back!

Russell, I obviously only know you from this forum but from reading your posts I think you want a plug and play solution to work with Biab. That means, load it up, go into your song directory and start playing your songs with no further effort, just hit play. None of these big name synths do that unless they specifically talk about being a full GM synth that does automatic patch changes. Note what Dave said:

Quote:

You can use it with the BIAB Bass, Piano, Guitar, Melody and Soloist just like the VSC.
The difference is that you have to open the ARIA player to change patches and volume.

This means it will work, it does sound great but, and it's a big but for a lot of people, you have to manually set up each instrument for each song. Every style in Biab has somewhat different instruments like an electric piano vs the acoustic or the bright acoustic vs the regular one or all the different basses. All that has to be set up in Aria before you can hit play. Sure, you can set Aria up to only use one piano but then you're negating part of the style. If the author of the style thinks the EP sounds better than the acoustic, don't you want to hear that before you change it? This is the same dance for all the big name software synths like SampleTank, Emulator X, Kontact, Halion, Garritan, whatever. This is why you only hear of a few that people like to use with Biab, the VSC, Forte, soundfonts or any hardware synth that has a GM soundbank like the SD2 or the Roland Sonic Cell and now the new SD50. People have been screaming for years for a killer sounding Biab compatible GM software synth. It doesn't exist and probably won't because pros could care less about GM. Notice the post above talking about how to get the best from Garritan using a controller to map certain CC's. That kind of thing is not GM standard and that's the problem. It's just like learning another instrument, you have to first have the right controller and then spend weeks learning how to play it properly. All to lay down an authentic trumpet part rather than having to hire a pro trumpet player. You don't use Biab for that kind of thing although you could if you had to but why, that's best with a DAW like Real Band or Sonar.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Quote:

Does anyone know why it's called JABB 3? I don't recall seeing a JABB 2 and if the reviews here are correct, it doesn't sound different from JABB 1.

Jazz & Big-Band

Ike
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Yes, Russell, I read the title of the thread, so I know what JABB stands for...it's the "3" that confuses me. When did "2" come out?

It sounds like it's nothing more than Garritan JABB the Aria version. I don't get it. Kontakt is a great program and very much a standard now, so why go to such great lengths to have an Aria player version and then call it version 3, when it's not even version 2?

Last edited by DanL; 05/22/10 07:58 PM.
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
Looking through my downloads, there was an upgrade to the JABB library at the end of 2005. Garritan didn't particularly call it "2," but there were subsequent upgrades to the Native Instrument's free Kontact Player which was then commonly referenced as KP2. (Many Garritan customers use(d) the KP2 as host, not the full Kontact.) I suspect the "3" is to emphasize the fact that Aria represents a new hosting direction, totally independent of NI. Garritan had expressed issues with his dependency on NI, both technical and businesswise. IIRC, lots of discussion about it on the Garritan forums.

-Ron

EDIT - BTW, there's significantly more to the new version than just the host change, including new instruments. Details here.

Last edited by rkl122; 05/22/10 09:56 PM.
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Ok, that makes sense. I do wish they would have improved the main trumpet sounds, though. I always thought they were pretty weak.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,499
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195