Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi guys,

I'm a long time BIAB user but just getting started with Realband. I have it up and running, everything is configured, and I have installed the latest patch.

I am using NI Bandstand as my DXi synth.

I am trying to use the function "Auto Convert Individual MIDI Track to WAV file" and it is not working properly. After the wav file is rendered and I go and play it back, the first part of the audio is missing, I get a little cut off snippet of audio at the 47 second mark and then the audio starts playing correctly from 1:20 mark to the end of the tune. All the the audio at the beginning is missing.

The midi file plays back fine from within RB (also using NI Bandstand), it's just the render to audio feature does not work properly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
~Dave

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
What are the From-Thru settings?

Right click track and try 'select whole track' before rendering. (?) Never seen that problem here ... but I do not have Bandstand.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks very much for the reply

Ok, I've narrowed down the problem a bit. Instead of using bandstand to render the track I selected the VSC DXi, and the track renders properly.

Problem is I really want to use Bandstand, it sounds *way* better than the VSC! I use bandstand all the time from within BIAB to render midi data to audio and it works great, it seems that maybe RealBand does not properly support Bandstand???

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
If the song plays okay with BandStand, then I would suggest just "recording" the track while it plays to an audio track. It takes longer than the quick render, but it works. That's what those of us who have hardware synths have to do.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Maybe try installing Bandstand on the track itself and see what happens (?)

Click the arrow to the left of track number, and 'Edit DXi', setting up the Bandstand plugin in the DXi synth1 slot (which will run a second instance of the synth) see if it changes things.

The description of the problem sounds strange, since it 'half renders'.

Has a reboot been done to get all the ducks in a row?

Last edited by rharv; 06/10/10 11:16 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Yep, I had tried doing that, no difference

Yes, I can do the recording thing, done that before using Cakewalk. Problem is of course that it is in realtime, and if you have a lot of midi tracks that can take a long time indeed! I prefer to have separate audio tracks because I like to use adobe audition for audio mixing and also to record my guitar parts.

Looks to me like it is a bug with the way realband deals with bandstand because as I say the same function works great within BIAB.

I'll try and contact support about it. Thanks for the help guys

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
I do this on every song but i use auto convert to audio track. I think that's what you are trying to do.
Here's what I do.
1. Insert the DXi/VSTi into the midi track
2. right click and choose "select whole track"
3. right click auto.....to audio track.
4. it'll ask which one.
5. Ususally end up with a flat green line
6. normalize it.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Hi John, thanks for the reply!

As I stated a couple of posts back I have no problem rendering the audio file if I use the VSC DXi, that works fine, the problem is when I use the NI Bandstand synth.

Made a bit of progress with this with help from support, instead of using the DXi version of the synth they suggested I use the VSTi version. When I select the VSTi version of bandstand I can render the audio track correctly, however with the VSTi synth selected Realband crashes everytime I restart the program, so I have to start it using the system defaults. So one step forward two steps back! Also lots of static when I move the mouse during playback.

I think it's a bug in the way Realband handles NI Bandstand, because as I mentioned before I use Bandstand all the time with BIAB and it works great.

RealBand
D
DHD Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
My name is Bill and I am not one to post with a problem very often.
I've been lucky enough, so far, to either solve them myself or thru information I've found in these wonderful forums.
I got a problem now that I can't solve and I was so glad to find this old post.

I am using NI Bandstand as my DXi synth in 2010.5 BIAB and Realband.

Bandstand seems to work well In BIAB. However, I have been having problems using Bandstand in Realband,
trying to get individual MIDI files to convert to WAV and having problems in ways as described in this old post.
I figure its a tiny glitch in Realband because Bandstand works with BIAB ok.

I imagine PGmusic has a fix coming soon, but would like to be converting individual MIDI files to WAV until then.

I was hoping someone who is using Bandstand with Realband might have figured out different work arounds since
this subject was originally posted ?

Thank you

Bill

Last edited by DHD; 09/01/10 09:23 AM.

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

I tested this using RealBand and <VSTi> Bandstand. I loaded the sample file impromptu.seq from the \RealBand\Samples folder, and played it. As the file started playing, I didn't hear anything for a few seconds. This is because Bandstand was still loading it's Acoustic Piano patch. After it had been loaded, I had no more problems when playing the file in RealBand.

Next, I selected Audio | Merge tracks audio and dxi tracks to stereo wave file, and tested the wave file. there were alot of note dropouts, especially during fast passages. This is because Bandstand has large samples which it streams from hard drive, and the rendering happened to fast so it missed some notes. Band-in-a-Box has a special settings file that can be used to throttle the direct rendering (\bb\Bandstand Technical Notes\AsstSettings.ini), however RealBand doesn't have this settings file.

The solution in RealBand - open the VSTi window to display the Bandstand panel while the song plays. Press the little button to the left of the play button (see screenshot), so it lights up. Now select Audio | Merge audio and DXi to stereo wave file. In my testing, this allowed the impromptu.seq file to render perfectly.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
D
DHD Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Hey Andrew

Thank you for responding so quickly.
Sorry but I guess I should have explained a little more clearly.
I am trying to convert individual MIDI tracks within a song to individual wave tracks with in that same song.
My end purpose to all this is to follow Ray Thigpen's Guidelines of Basic Mixing & Mastering with RealBand.
One of the first steps in his process is to change all individual MIDI tracks to Individual audio Tracks.
Then edit each individual audio track.

The method you explained combines all the individual MIDI tracks to one wave track, unless I've missed a step in your explaination.
I am sorry for not explaining more clearly.

Do you have another suggestion ?
Have you heard when a fix is planned for this problem ?

Thanks again for such a quick response,

Bill

RealBand
Veteran
Veteran
Try autoconverting a single track with the synth actually open as he suggested (and clicking that button to the left of play on the synth itself).. That may solve it, just by having the synth itself open in the project and that button enabled before rendering.

RealBand
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello Bill,

Yes, the same thing applies to converting individual tracks. The only difference is instead of selecting that menu item, you would be right-clicking on the track and selecting 'convert to audio track'.

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
RealBand
D
DHD Offline
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D
Quote:

Try autoconverting a single track with the synth actually open as he suggested (and clicking that button to the left of play on the synth itself).. That may solve it, just by having the synth itself open in the project and that button enabled before rendering.

Turning that little button on, to the left of play on the Bandstand synth. was all that had to be done.
Seems to convert the individual MIDI tracks to Individual audio tracks without any problems, so far.
By the way, I have looked through all my documentation for Bandstand, and I can not find anything that explains what that little button is, or is fuction.
I just noticed that the button is not there, when Bandstand is used as a stand alone progam,
it only appears when used with BIAB or Realband, so it's obvious to me now,
that it has a function when Bandstand is working with BIAB or RB.
Probably why it's not mentioned in the Bandstand documentation.

Thank you Andrew for mentioning that little button on the Bandstand synth. to Merge Audio and DXi Tracks to stereo Wav
Thank you rhrav for re-interating the use of that same button for converting the individual MIDI tracks to individual audio tracks.

You guys are great.

Bill

Last edited by DHD; 09/02/10 02:37 AM.

RealBand
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Andrew, you should pass that info along to the support team! I exchanged quite a few emails with them on this issue and got nowhere.

Thanks very much

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,549
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199