Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Veteran
Veteran
Hey Dan & Joe,
I do use this stuff a lot maybe a couple of factors come in to play:
1. I don't use the program to create recordings. I use it for live
2. There may be an age factor. Don't know. I'm 60 and grew up with tape machines. Cut,copy, paste was not something you did much of as it was a tedious physical process so I still don't do much of that. I use RB more like a real sophisticated tape machine & console. I lay down tracks, add effects & mix.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
What isn't getting too expensive these days! PG Music does provide options for the new RT's, for example for us jazz cats:

Purchase only the new RT Sets 91 and 92 - the Jazz Horn Soloist - that's $29 x 2 for $58.
Or
Purchase the New RealPak Jazz 4 which includes all of Jazz 4 - RT 90 - 95 (Jazz horns plus guitar and organ) for $79.
Or
Purchase the Summer Pak, RTs 83 - 101 which includes Jazz 4, Country 4 and Rock 4 Real Paks for $99

All can be downloaded. If you don't need certain RT styles then you can save some money. However, as you see the additional cost is marginal.

Like others have said, where you spend your money depends on your priorities. The priorities in my house are - Wife, Kids, House, Me

Dan, BIAB2024, SoundCloud Win11, i7(12thGen), 32GB, 1TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD), 2TB Libraries, 1 TB(WD-Black), 2TB SSD(M.2 NVMe SSD)Data, Motu Audio Express, Keystation 61, SL88 Studio, Reaper

B
Journeyman
Journeyman
B
RealBand may not be perfect, or even full featured enough for the more experienced DAW users, but hey it is FREE. You get it with BIAB, it is similar enough in user interface and features to BIAB that you should feel right at home with it if you know BIAB. And yes, it is in its infancy so I think what it does at this stage is amazing. Did I mention it is FREE? It comes with all versions of BIAB. So if you don't like it, don't use it and spend the bucks it will take to get some other DAW, go through the learning curve and then if you find you don't like that one after all you are out whatever it cost to buy it. Buggy? Maybe. But from experience (a lot of it my own) most bugs turn out to be caused by the user and/or the computer setup. I know that some of the bugs reported here I don't find on my setup. Maybe I'm lucky. Anyway, I would like to thank the entire staff at PGMusic for their efforts in making BIAB even better by the addition of RealBand. I really like it.
Good luck all.

Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

most bugs turn out to be caused by the user and/or the computer setup. I know that some of the bugs reported here I don't find on my setup.

AMEN

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
J
Apprentice
Apprentice
J
Quote:

Hey Dan & Joe,
I do use this stuff a lot maybe a couple of factors come in to play:
1. I don't use the program to create recordings. I use it for live
2. There may be an age factor. Don't know. I'm 60 and grew up with tape machines. Cut,copy, paste was not something you did much of as it was a tedious physical process so I still don't do much of that. I use RB more like a real sophisticated tape machine & console. I lay down tracks, add effects & mix.

Not that far behind you in age John. Don't get me wrong there are a few things in RB that are invaluable to me, like generating the realtracks and easy way to convert all to wav.

What I mean by the easy way to mute a section in cubase is just use the scissors tool to do 2 snips on a track and then just use the mute X tool to mute the section in between, that you can unmute easy again. Don't think that easy option is available in RB though probably same thing can be done with a longer workaround.

Joe

joe
Journeyman
Journeyman
Btw- I'm pushing 50 myself. When you say you use RB as a sophisticated tape machine, you just described ALL daws. When they are done right, they are very much like a tape machine only a whole lot better. Some are better and more developed, that's all. RB will get there if they want it to- or at least more there than it is now.

I didn't even realize this was the biab forum- I jump around between the two- biab and RB. Debating RB here is not my intention, nor should it be done in a biab forum, or in a thread that's not about that. I'd be more than happy to discuss the merits of RB over there. I would also flood the wish list forum, but I'll take my time and see how it progresses.

Dan

Veteran
Veteran
When I say sophisticated tape machine it's only in the context of not using tape. my work habits are somewhat the same. I record parts where I need them. I work in a linear fashion. On occasion i will use the copy/paste. I use effects etc. I have Cakewalk Pro Audio 8, Sonar4 ,Sonar 8.5 and Adobe Audition 1.5. If I was to choose one, not including RB, I'd still use Pro Audio 8.
I drive a Hyundai Accent. Does everything I want, reliable, inexpensive to run etc. I'd love a Ferrari but would want all that goes with it.
I guess the bottom line here is that just cause a program doesn't have the feature you want doesn't make it clunky or buggy.
PS- i have uninstalled everything other then RB & BIAB. Don't need them.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
Journeyman
Journeyman
LOL! Good for you John. Hey really, I'm with you. I've read and participated in many a debate like this over countless daws. The problem is that I said clunky and buggy. Not a good choice of words. Well actually buggy is ok. I mean, if it doesn't work all the time for me it's buggy, but that doesn't mean the bug isn't on my end somehow in the pc setup. But clunky, I suppose I could have said something different there. Suffice to say RB for me is essencial for taking what I put together in biab, many steps and tracks further. It's indespensible for that. If it worked more like what I'm used to in other daws, I could use it for further editing, mixing, and automation. And if the feature set gets deeper, it would be to my liking and most certainly yours, I would hope. There's no reason not to hope something will get even better, right?

Btw- I drive a Honda Fit. To me, it's my Cadillac. But I haven't wiped out all software except biab and RB. I use all my tools along the way. They all have strenghts. The only thing I prune out is plugins that I just don't need. THEY can get out of hand over time.

Dan

Veteran
Veteran
Rewire was talked about at one point prior to the drag & drop implementation.
I'm just a singing bass player that's played bars all his life and got tired of bands. I do not write or do my own stuff thus I don't do recordings that need to be polished the the finest degree for repeated listening. I just do cover tunes mixed like a REAL BAND. I get them right but they are mixed in mono for live.Lot more leeway.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
15.6" Monitor
G
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
G
Cita:

Cita:

most bugs turn out to be caused by the user and/or the computer setup. I know that some of the bugs reported here I don't find on my setup.

AMEN

I agree, myself being a case. I remember I was in trouble with audio recording because I didn't setup ASIO as audio driver in setup...1.5 seg latency almost killed me. I was barely to seconds away to post a bug on that.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
One program has one feature and another something else. PT, and Rb have certain things i love, then it might not have a feature another program has i need. SO i keep a couple others around to fix that one little thing. Like having a skil saw, hammer, cordless drill and a electric planer. All are different but they all contribute to a job well done. The planer will get limited use, but without it the finished product is less than it could be. Sometimes i have to open up another program to smooth things out.

I hope that RB develops slow and steady. I want to see the audio tools develop, and see the VSTi implimentation grow. Once that all happens i think it will be my go to app. I really do not want to see BiaB change to much, i think it does what it does better than anything else, and once the drag and drop matures a bit more who knows how easy it will be to use the two in conjuction.

RB is a tad buggy, not terrible, but still a bit shakey. I have confidence that PG will continue to work on these issues.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

RB is a tad buggy, not terrible, but still a bit shakey. I have confidence that PG will continue to work on these issues.

Well, since everyone is throwing around AMEN, I guess I'll throw out an AMEN to that! It sometimes exhibits odd behavior. Nothing monumental, but a little 'shakey' is a good way to put it. I think the program is awesome and the better it gets, the better the whole package gets. It's the perfect way to take a biab compositions to many 'next levels'. Keep working on RB, PG! You have a WINNER going!

Dan

Apprentice
Apprentice
I would prefer to see PG focus primarily on their excellent music creation tools rather than working on improving Real Band as a DAW. I was intially excited about Real Band but with the BIAB Plug in capability I now do almost all of my work with BIAB sometimes with Sonar running. This way I have the best of both worlds. I do like the precision of EZ Drummer for nailing down very tight drum charts. This type of interface would also be nice in BIAB. There are so many tracks available now a really good interface for track selection would really help.

As for price I would gladly pay for improvements that help me to more readily find the needed style, tracks etc. Having just dealt with the pains of downloading and authorizing other music software BIAB looks even better!

Visit our web site:
su4u.net
Journeyman
Journeyman
Quote:

What isn't getting too expensive these days!

Housing, the Euro, computers, computer software (most), consumer electronics. Many things that we don't need are getting cheaper because we don't really need to buy them. Though we need housing, the credit bubble, corruption, and lunacy caused too much to be built and prices will continue to fall.

Getting back to the op's point. I agree that the upgrade costs are too expensive. I'm still ticked off that my USB drive failed shortly after arrival. I've realized that even though I've upgraded every year, there were very few new features that I used. Old bugs slow to get fixed, or not fixed at all, and new bugs with the new feature bloat.

If they had a low cost annual upgrade it would make sense, like if you had the xxx pack. That's another thing, it takes like 30 minutes just to understand what's in each pack, and even then I didn't get all I thought I'd get. It used to be the Mega pack was everything, now there are a number of things past mega. I know a consumer shouldn't complain about having too many choices, but it takes too long to figure it out.

Finally, I have found a cool signature with sufficiently dry humor.
P
Journeyman
Journeyman
P
Hello All,

I went from BB 2009 and RB 2009 to 2010.5. That upgrade cost only $69 plus $10 for the manual and $5 shipping- an incredible upgrade for just $84.00!

I wasn't using RB all that much, but after going back and reviewing all the helpful insights and comments on the RB forum, comments from Noel, Bob Harvey, Mac, Silvertones, Jazzmandan, Jazzmammal, et al, I was indeed enlightened.

BTW, rather than trying to dissect all the available paks, I just purchased a realdrums set, which I really needed, for $29.

Percy

S
S
I'm a bit leery about all this. $600? I have a vintage American Strat I got for that price.

I have the limited $129 version but I'm wondering if it's even worth paying the extra $279 for .wav files. Is it worth it? Is RealBand THAT good as a DAW and does it offer that much more than other DAWs?

Last edited by Strato; 08/25/14 04:54 PM.
Veteran
Veteran
Strato,

Welcome to the forums.

What version of BIAB do you have? (e.g. 2013, 2010, etc.)

Also, if I'm reading the price list correctly, the upgrade from Pro to Ultrapluspak (if you have BIAB 2012 or earlier), is $299 and not $600. The Ultrapluspak is the cheapest BIAB product that has everything: all styles, all Realtracks, all Realdrums, etc.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Veteran
Veteran
Strato,

There are some number of top notch performers, musicians, and sound engineers
on this site. They help us all thru the various trials and tribulations.
Occasionally they have posted Pics of their studios.

They have pumped thousands into their equipment primary as your guitar/s and
support requirements.

Yet they still purchased and use PG Music products.

As Noel mentioned with older version the upgrade does bite a little, but you get
so many things with this you'll be amazed.

Also keep in mind they have a free 30 day trial period.
Give it a whirl, and see how you feed about they system.

Also welcome aboard.

Good luck.

Last edited by seeker; 08/25/14 05:22 PM.

FrankB

Down The Street vs2015 12-03-2014
Win7, AMD QuadA8-5500,16GB,2TeraHD, Komplete 10
PG Ultra Plus 2016,Alesis 12USB, Sonar Platinum
Veteran
Veteran
If it helps;
If you already have the $129 version, the 'upgrade' is likely $149 to match what you quoted as the $269 price.
See here -
http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm
(scroll down)
Hope that helps.

To answer your last question; can you generate tracks in any other DAW like you can in Realband?
The value of that is up to you, but it is HUGE here.

Last edited by rharv; 08/25/14 06:07 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
S
S
Thanks for the responses folks.

I'm using the 2014 version. I just picked it up today. And from what I see on the purchase page there isn't an option for me to go to the Ultrapluspak and I'm certainly not seeing anything for $149. lol. What am I missing here?

I've been producing music for over 30 years and yes, have also put 10s of 1000s of dollars into my studio. That's why I'm wondering, by looking at what BIAB and RealBand are offering me right now (very little with the $129 version), if it's worth it to upgrade or not.

I could just use RealBand as a basic DAW. No problem. But if that's the case then I just purchased another DAW. lol. I already have several on my machine. I purchased this product thinking it could cut down on my workload when producing drum tracks, for the most part. However, unless I shell out another - I don't even know how much because the purchase page is pretty confusing to me - I don't have that option.

Everything I try to load into RealBand or BIAB isn't available and spits out an error. That's a bit concerning at this point. What did I get for $129? A midi sampler? I create my own with C++. lol

Last edited by Strato; 08/25/14 06:50 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,612
Posts735,127
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182