Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#80779 07/26/10 03:14 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
released using BIAB? professional or otherwise.

Last edited by Playin In The Band; 07/26/10 03:14 PM.
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P

Veteran
Veteran
I think there are actually quite a few. Most that are done by posters here are announced in the Off-Topic forum, although those are primarily songs and not full albums.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
What was wrong with the old way to get your album out?

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Cost, accesibility, lack of skills on other instruments, besides guitar.

Having to deal with other musicians who want to make the project there's, and take credit for it, when you did all the writing and singing.

Not having a ton of experience producing or recording.

Being a solo artist, and having to explain the other musicians who played on it, when they are just hired musicians.

other than that...

For a while there I though real band might be a viable option, I just dont know how it would sound for rock and pop music.

Veteran
Veteran
Playin, personally, I don't see why not. Maybe some work on your part to get the arrangements, effects, and mix you want. MIght take some time to pull it off but why wouldn't it be viable?

If that's your goal why not try and see what you can do. Rock and Pop covers a lot of ground. But whatever sub genre you do, I'm assuming you are a guitar player who sings which in my view gives you an advantage with all the editable backing tracks styles using both real instruments and midi in RB/BIAB.

I've heard stuff where people are still learning that is good and I've heard highly skilled stuff that will blow your socks off using these products.

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks Josie and The Pussycats.

That's what I need is somebody saying "yes, you can"

You're right im gonna get the whole set, and see what I can do with it, I think at very least
some of the lighter stuff would work, the heavier stuff maybe not as much.

or at very very least I end up with an excellent sketch.

Thanks again.

Veteran
Veteran
Have you ever done an album with a bunch of musicians? I have and it's a lot of work. And a lot of fun as well but it can be costly. In 1983 it cost $10K to get 1000 LPs on the street. If you put as much effort into your album using RB as you would with a bunch of musicians you'll get just as good a product. If you have the talent to be all things especially producer.The producer is key to a good project.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I know it used to cost a fortune, still would i'm sure.

I've done several studio projects and brought in band members, not for whole albums but 3-4 songs, and i've spent over 2 grand, just recording, and then ther'es alway stuff that bothers you that you wished you could fix.

Then the cost of mastering and printing CD's, and at that point you haven't even put it up for sale yet.

Nowadays, it's all DIY types of musicians making computer recordings and selling them on CDbaby etc.

It makes a whole lot more sense to DIY, and/or use BIAB, but at the same time the music suffers. Music today isn't as good partly because one guy is playing writer, band, engineer and producer, and
most music produced today is all done to a click track, which weakens it considerably.

Yet, nobody seems to notice except old school musician/artists.

So what to do....

Veteran
Veteran
"most music produced today is all done to a click track, which weakens it considerably"

not sure if serious ..

Using a click is not what ruins music.
Using computer generated/sequenced parts that are too perfect can be a give-away and turnoff though.
Nobody 'in the pocket' and everything right on the beat perfectly (yuck).
That is where realtracks go WAY above other methods of computer generation. They are much more real!
Some of us 'old school musicians' are quite bothered by recordings that obviously lacked (and needed) a click.
Pop/rock genre is one that requires rock solid tempo.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
I cant picture a beatles or stones song played to a click track, it wouldnt be the same. human beings
slow down and speed up as a natural tendency, when it doesnt it's not human any more.

I suggest you read some articles.

SXSW: Little Steven(big time rock veteran) says music stinks and here's why
AUSTIN, Texas --Nevermind the digital revolution, the Internet, even the economic holocaust. Steven Van Zandt addressed another major problem he sees in the music industry, the music itself.

"No one's talking aboutg that," he told a roomful of music industry professionals Friday morning at the SXSW music conference. "Why? Because it sucks. It blows. Sure nobody's buying records. No shit. They suck. Over the past 30 years I've been witness to a crisis of craft."

Van Zandt, who runs two labels (Wicked Cool and Lost Cathedral) and plays guitar in the E Street Band, listed an array of trends and changes that he said changed the direction of rock and the records being produced:

The era of 1951-1971 was the Renaissance of rock music, he said. "When we started, rock was dance music. Then we started 'listening' to music and it has been going down hill ever since. We had a mandate. You make people dance or you got fired. It requires a different energy to get people out of their chairs and dance. ... Eventually people got too stoned to dance."

Another "dangerous trend": "Bands are starting to skip the bar-band stage, the club stage, where you get the chance to play other people's songs, analyze them, understand them. ... You learn greatness from greatness. The Beatles were a club band for five years and they played covers for five more years."

He dubbed the trend of bands writing and playing only their own material the "auteur theory: "You must be a writer or you're irrelevant." A record has four components, he said: composition, arrangement, performance and sound. "It took an army of talented people to make good records. Now you do it all yourself? No wonder everything sucks.

Labels abandoned development,' he said, and DIY was born, which works well with the auteur theory. And no one is there to advise them or tell them they suck.

Here is one on pro tools dooming music.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/how-pro-tools-is-destroying-music

Expert
Expert
Quote:

I cant picture a beatles or stones song played to a click track, it wouldnt be the same. human beings
slow down and speed up as a natural tendency, when it doesnt it's not human any more.

You might not be able to picture it, but they did use click tracks, and you can prove it just by listening to Blackbird. In the final mixdown, the Beatles chose to leave the clicking metronome in the song and you hear it up to the point of the first break where it is faded out over two beats. There have been misreports on the web about it being Paul tapping his foot and the guitar microphone picking that up, but there are two things that disprove this. First, if you listen carefully there is a definate "clip-clop" sound to the beat....a two tone metronome sound that gives you the up/down beat. A tapping foot would have the same tone on each tap, not two distinctly different tones. The other thing that proves that it was a recorded click track and not a tapping foot bleeding into the guitar mic is the fact that it was faded out during the mixdown. A sound picked up by the guitar mic could not have been faded out seperate from the guiar.

Did the presence of a click track during the recording of Blackbird dehumanize the performance? I think not. Load the song into an audio editor and count the beats. The metronome in Blackbird stays right on never slowing, never missing a beat, and never speeding up. Yet Paul's performance varies throughout. Paul varies his timing between 3/4, 4/4, and 2/4. The guitar slows down, breaks, restarts, yet the metronome keeps banging away, right on the beat. This isn't the only time the Beatles used a metronome in the studio, either as a group or individuals, it is just the only time that they left it in so that you could hear it.

Blackbird analyzed on Wikipedia

In case it isn't obvious, I've had this conversation before.

Quote:

And no one is there to advise them or tell them they suck.

Well, actually the marketplace is there to tell them that they suck. Slipping past all of the gatekeeping devices that used to be in place only gives folks an opportunity to get their music recorded and heard. People vote with this dollars, and if you suck, your income from your recordings will also suck.

What has the former insiders in an uproar is they don't have control over the gates any more and the market that they once had a realtive monopoly over is now diluted with mostly inferior product that is competing with them. Do we need some record executives to tell performers that they suck? Probablly not and history shows they they don't know so much. Decca told the Beatles that they Sucked. Joe Meek told the Beatles manager Brian Epstein that they were "just a bunch of noise, copying other people's music". Heck, Meek not only told Rod Stewart that he sucked, he put his fingers in his ears and screamed until Stewart left the studio.

The only reason that the recording studios want to decide who sucks and who doesn't, is that they want more money passed around in a smaller pool.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Veteran
Veteran
Lots of artists in the 60's and 70's did their thing and the other musicians were background and not really thought about. I was a huge Gordon Lightfoot fan in the 60's and 70's and he often played solo. Same for lots of duos. Neil Young appears alone a lot. Bruce Cockburn just did a gig here with just him and an acoustic guitar.

I use(d) Audacity and my sound system to record live a lot before the cancer took my voice. Remains to be seen if it comes back. I was recording a 'cd' for my 83 year old Mom who's been bugging me for it. Too bad this happened so fast, one day I'm fine a week later I'm not. Oh well, I'm still sort of kicking although I can't get over being angry about when it happened.

The use of the software can provide you with nice backing tracks. I just did a few songs for repetoire, like Foolish Things, render to .wav, convert to mp3 using Band in a Box and then take them up to the accoustic piano and stick them in the little bose radio/cd/ mp3 player. Works great. I get about 12 songs average 5 mins each and use that to play piano bar. At the moment I can stick to the real keys too, cause I don't have to transpose them for my voice, which might be a silver lining. I was having a lot of fun using Tiger w. and changing the words to Makin Woopie to that's what you get for putting around. He doesn't make much money, only 60 million per...give 80 to her..LOL.

If you can't make decent backing tracks with this software I'll eat my hat, wait ....I'm getting a chocolate one.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Apprentice
Apprentice
The most recent 4 of my 5 LawTunes (http://www.LawTunes.com) albums were created with the assistance to varying degrees and in varying ways, of BIAB as well as other computer software and hardware. My first CD ("The Lawyer's Holiday Humor Album" (1998)) was just me and my acoustic and electric guitar, non-midi keyboard, tambourine, maybe a kazoo, etc. The next 4 incorporated use of BIAB ("Legal Holidaze" (2004); "Merry Lexmas From The LawTunes" (2006); "The LawTunes: Live At Blackacre" (2007); "Season's Briefings From The LawTunes" (2009)), and in my opinion as the program has progressed along with my understanding of it each release has sounded more professional in no small part because of that. Indeed, as a result I tend to think of myself more as a producer than as a performer. I have expressed my appreciation to BIAB in media interviews, such as in The New York Times (http://www.lawrencesavell.com/pdf/20031221nytx.pdf) and on a holiday installment of the award-winning legal podcast, Lawyer2Lawyer (http://websrvr82il.audiovideoweb.com/ny60web16519/LTN/C2C/C2C_121609_Holiday.mp3). I am indebted to PG Music for creating this wonderful and educational and FUN tool, and to the contributors to this forum for their kind and knowledgeable assistance, in helping me exceed the considerable limitations of my abilities.

www.LawTunes.com: The LawTunes - The Musical Scales of Justice - Original Lawyer Rock & Roll
www.SurfChords.com: The SurfChords - The Endless Summer Continues and The Wave Never Ends
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Im sure the Beatles used clicks on somethings, makes sense blackbird is all acoustic, a ballad... no drummer, how else would you be able to stay in time, if he did it all live than it certainly would make sense.

But if Ringo was goign to be playing on it, there would have been no click track.

So you found an example, but MOST beatle songs were done live band, no click.

i've tried to add a metronome to dozens of their songs, and it never works. certain passages work but it starts to drop off as the song progresses.

Show me a led zepplin song played to a click track...bet it takes u a long time lol j/k

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Well be positive and say it wont come back!

Ive been spending time trying to find good albums/songs recorded by biab and to be honest im having a hard time. It all sounds like midi to me. The main thing I notice is that the instruments seem to have a dull sustain at the end of their passages, I guess thats cause when it changes chords something alters it.

People choose guitar picking styles, and those are the worst sounding in my opinion. Drums and bass sound good enough but the stringed instruments dont in my opinion.

Piano sounds kind of lifeless as well.

As you said "if I cant get decent backing tracks ill eat my hat. Decent works for gigs, but for recording original music?

paint me "on the fence"

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Lol, interesting niche you got there. I think your stuff is good, it doesnt sound like a band however.

Also, if it's not too late, your vocals are way too high in the mix, cant hear anythng else when the singing is happening.

Cool site!

Last edited by Playin In The Band; 07/28/10 01:34 PM.
F
Expert
Expert
F
I used BIAB MIDI tracks on my second album in 1996--mostly bass and drums. The bass was fine but the sound modules available at the time did not produce convincing drum tracks, especially brush drums. My 2007 album used the first sets of Real Drums, midi bass, midi banjo, and midi keyboard in a few places. I overdubbed guitar and mandolin and brought in guest musicians to handle background vocals, electric lead guitar, harmonica, and, on the last song, piano. This hybrid form of arranging and recording works well for me. You can hear clips at CD Baby--see my signature link. (A banjo player friend of mine asked me who played banjo on one song--a BIAB midi file coupled with a great sampled banjo fooled him.)

The introduction and explosion of RealTracks has been a game-changer for BIAB and for the way I work. I rarely seek out Midi styles these days. My current project features RealTracks on piano, organ, bass, fiddle, pedal steel, and all types of electric guitars. I have added electric and acoustic guitar. The blend is to my ears incredible once I put the tracks into my DAW and add eq, compression, and reverb. The next album will be out this fall and it will be interesting to get feedback.

I spent a ton of money on my first album back in 1994--studio, musicians, blank reel tape, engineer, etc. It was fun and if I won the lottery I probably would want to try it again. But when I listen to the fine musicianship of RT players I realize that I have found more than an acceptable compromise.

Fred

Fred Grittner
2020 iMac, Ventura, Logic Pro
https://52tracksblog.com
https://fredgrittner.bandcamp.com
Expert
Expert
Quote:

But if Ringo was going to be playing on it, there would have been no click track.

Reminds me of the old Ring Starr quote "I was surprised at how much trouble a metronome has keeping good time, until you get it broken in through use".

Quote:

Show me a led zepplin song played to a click track...bet it takes u a long time lol

Ah, be careful. I'm already thinking Stairway to Heaven

And would you believe that Jimmy Page was miking up a PigNose Amp on a lot of those studio recordings that sound like a Marshall Stack?

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,487
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195