Go To
#80879 07/27/10 03:15 PM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
M
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
M
Half time is working fine, i have a track at 220 bpm and i load a realtrack at 110 and sounds great but double time does not seem to be working. Say i write a song at 55 bpm and i load the Jazz Sw 110 Acoustic Bass, the double time feature does not work and i get a bad sounding bass line full of artifacts.
I have the 'allow half time/double' box checked but only half time is working. Anything i'm doing wrong?

R
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
R
Only half the time! Opps sorry my bad! Did I say that out loud?

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
To make half time or double time work for a track, you need to set the track to half or double time. This is done in realtracks assign dialog, near the top right of the dialog.

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
This isn't working for me either. I'm just now exploring the half and double time feature myself, and I'm having the same results as mellowstu. If my song is at 65 BPM, and I choose a snarly, wild electric guitar solo that's at 120, it doesn't seem to matter whether I put a checkmark next to "Double Time?" when choosing the Soloist, or choose "Double Time" in the 'Assign Real Tracks' dialog - I still get a garbled, artifact-ridden guitar solo.

There must be something else we're just not understanding here, huh?

BIAB 2010.5, Build 303

Bobby K.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bobby,

Early on, I experienced issues with the Soloist. For me, it turned out that the issues arose because the Soloist track was frozen and I didn't realize it. That's when I learned that when BIAB saves a song with a solo, it automatically locks that solo. With this in mind, have you double-checked that the Soloist is not frozen before you apply the Double (Half) time option. Once that option is applied, it is then necessary to regenerate the track.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Hello,

Quote:

I have the 'allow half time/double' box checked but only half time is working.

It sounds like you have an old build of the program installed, since newer builds don't have that checkbox. Install the latest build, then follow Peter's instructions, and it should work for you.

Quote:

This isn't working for me either. I'm just now exploring the half and double time feature myself, and I'm having the same results as mellowstu. If my song is at 65 BPM, and I choose a snarly, wild electric guitar solo that's at 120, it doesn't seem to matter whether I put a checkmark next to "Double Time?" when choosing the Soloist, or choose "Double Time" in the 'Assign Real Tracks' dialog - I still get a garbled, artifact-ridden guitar solo.

As Noel said, the problem is most likely that you are generating your solo using the Soloist dialog. Instead, use the Assign RealTracks dialog. For example, try this.

1. Set your song to 55 bpm
2. Right-click on the bass track and click on Add/Remove RealTracks.
3. Select Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Sw 110.
4. Set the Timebase to 'double time'.
5. Close the RealTracks picker and press Play.

In this particular example, note that if you *don't* set it to double-time, Band-in-a-Box will automatically substitute the 110bpm bass with 'Bass, Acoustic, Jazz Ballad Sw 060', then slow this one down by 5bpm. You can enable/disable this particular feature in the RealTracks Preferences dialog (Allow auto-RealTracks subsitution...)

Andrew
PG Music Inc.
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Quote:

As Noel said, the problem is most likely that you are generating your solo using the Soloist dialog.

How else do you generate a solo? I did have success with the 'Assign Real Tracks' double time method you described, which gave me a nice, artifact-free *rhythm* track, but, that's not a soloist. How do we go about generating a double time *soloist*, if not from the Soloist dialog?

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
Bobby,

When you get a chance, could you please step me through how you go about setting-up a simple solo? That way, I'll be able to read what you do and try it out.

Also, if the end result of your arrangement is going to be an mp3 (or equivalent), Realband is extremely versatile when it comes to manipulating solos. That program might be worth investigating, too.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Okay, good idea.

Here goes. After opening BIAB, in which my current default style is "=FBL12SP LitePop w/12str.FpkAc.Guit(65RT)", I enter a few chords like, say, C for two bars, then F, and then repeat that several times. Tempo is at 65. I then click the Soloist button, then immediately click the RealTracks button to narrow it down to just RT's. I then choose whatever 120-140 tempo RTs I happen to find - for example, "496 Guitar,El,Rh StoneZ1 Ev120", and then put a checkmark in the "Double Time?" box, and hit "OK". It automatically generates the solo, but when it plays, it sounds awful - slow, garbled and "artifacty". Same as if I *hadn't* checked the "Double Time?" box.

Bobby K.

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bobby,

Thank you for the information. I'll have a play around and get back to you.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Okay. Btw, like I said earlier, if I then right-click the soloist track and 'Assign Real Tracks', then choose the same style (496 - Guitar.... StoneZ...Ev120), with 'Double Time' selected in the Timebase area, it then generates fine and sounds great. I'd be happy doing it that way, but I thought the soloists chosen in the Select Soloist dialog play actual solos, as opposed to just rhythm parts, right? (it's hard to tell with the "StoneZ" style - probably not the best example of the difference between rhythm and soloist)...

Veteran
Veteran
Hi Bobby,

I've had a little play around. The "double-time" option in the Soloist dialogue (the pop-up one gets when using the S button to generate a solo) is not a double-time for Realtracks. My understanding is that this particular double-time option is meant for the MIDI solos; it has been around for a lot longer than Realtracks. Double-timing MIDI involves different programming from double-timing RTs. From playing with the settings, my conclusion is that the S button can be used to generate RT solos in normal time only.

To generate RTs in half- or double-time, it is necessary to use the "Assign Realtracks" that you have already discovered (and select double-time or half-time options within the assign option). With Realtracks, it is possible to assign a solo instrument to any track, they are not restricted to the Soloist track. Moreover, the generated solo is created exactly the same on any track. The reason for this is that RT Soloists are pieced together from fragments of actual playing - assembling these solos does not work on a note-by-note basis like MIDI.

A trick that I use with RT solos is to generate the solo and then to use Edit >> Settings for current bar to bring the solo in and out of the mix by varying the volume at the appropriate bars.

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
I see. Well if that's so, then in the Select Soloist dialog (via the 'S' button) the placement of that "Double Time?" checkbox - so close to the RealTracks button - is really kind of deceiving, isn't it. At the same time though, it seems like, if you can double or half-time RTs from elsewhere in BIAB (using 'Assign RealTracks'), it should be a simple matter of cloning that function over to the Select Soloist dialog. Maybe it's more complicated than that, I'm not a programmer... But gee, they've already got the RealTracks button in there - they're so close...

The other thing is, I discovered that soloists are among the choices in the 'Assign RealTracks' list. (you see, I thought that *that* route was exclusively for rhythm parts, whereas 'Select Soloist' was exclusively for solos - that was my little mistake.)

So, assuming all possible soloists are also available via the 'Assign RealTracks' dialog, I'm okay with that.

And thanks for the tip about bar settings and soloists. I've been noodling around with bar settings for the first time, and it's amazing the kind of life you can breathe into your songs, just by muting a couple of instruments here and there, and then bringing them back in. Makes my stuff sound... almost legit!

Bobby K.

B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Hi,

I have a related question about half/double time. I'd like to try and get two kicks in a row, i.e. a shot on beat 1 *and* beat and then another kick on beat 2. (Two consecutive eighth notes). To date, when I've had to get two eighth note kicks in a row, I typically figure out which one is the strongest beat, and set Band in a Box to Shot or Stop on that beat. Then I play or record the beat that I want emphasized before or after BiaB's assigned beat.
It looks like with the double time/half time options I may have the ability to get two eighth note kicks from Band in a Box by forcing half-time for two bars and then doubling the tempo for those two bars. If this works, I can get around the limitation of not being able to have two consecutive eighth note kicks or more than four changes in a given measure. I look forward to the replies.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by Bill Lyons; 07/30/10 01:08 PM.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195