Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
and my advice to you would be to hang on to your status as ...uhh... what is it again...errr...ahhhh,,,

oh yes, the Quincy Jones of the Pgmusic board.

Now when you bought the BIAB software, did it include some kind of key to knowing everything?

Did it include the written rights to assume you're above everyone else, and everyone needs your help.

I hope mine comes with a few cracks on boneheads like yourself. Im runnin low on the one liners, ill need a few more.

Veteran
Veteran
Hey PITB -

Now you're just becoming a Pain In The Butt. This is starting to remind me of the time we were taken for a ride several years ago. The old timers know what I mean.

Over and Out

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Expert
Expert
I listened to your two demos, I think you could do a lot with BIAB. Here are some demos I've done with BIAB. I always try and mix some live stuff in to make it all seem more "real".

Rhonda (rockish): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9294777

Country is in the Ear of the Beholder (country): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8473778

Movie in My Head (rock): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8775082

Ole Stomping Ground (Americana): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8790679

She Was Made to be Played (alternative): http://soundclick.com/share?songid=8111400

At the bottom of each song I list the BIAB instruments used.

Kevin

Now at bandcamp: Crows Say Vee-Eh @ bandcamp or soundcloud: Kevin @ soundcloud
M
Expert
Expert
M
pitb.
i feel compelled to comment.
i havent had time to be on these user forums like normal due to various family
aspects/problems to deal with.
but heres my 2c fwiw.
1. YOU HAVE NOT SUGGESTED A BETTER ALTERNATIVE BETTER MUSIC CREATION SOLUTION.
for example in a typical daw software in the past one had to
laboriously create track after track which could take ages.
with this new biab/rb software paradigm it means a song creator like
myself can get a song idea down faster than traditional approaches
and try lots of different chord arrangement ideas.
frankly i wish i had have had this software when i started writing songs
decades ago.
in summary in the world of music software the rb/biab combo is unique.
i know of no other product that competes.
do you ??
for example ezdrummer is just drums, and can get rather
pricey, whereas with rb/biab your getting much more than just drums.
ive tried every approach out there.
2. you ask for album examples, but the software hasnt been out there in the market
for years n years. so obviously it takes a time for albums to appear.
thus your more likely to hear single songs.
which of course will vary in quality cos many folks are getting familiar
with the product.
for me i can tell you i wouldnt be doing elevator music.
it would be rock all the way mate and/or some MOR.
3. lets look at a typical album production cost.
it can easily run over 150k includeing session musicians in a major studio.
in many cases much much more.
how many people can afford that ??
ive done original songs on everything from bouncing useing two cassette deks thru
2 inch pro multitrack thru useing hi end mega studios, and in the latter
tho a nice environment i was going broke fast i can tell you.
frankly my only bitch is the pg pricing particularly for someone like myself with
other family responsibilities that stress me.
i would urge pg to consider lowering prices a tad.
3. the other aspect is the rb/biab software engineering itself.
i speak from decades of building software, and thus pg have my greatest
respect for bringing these products to market.
cos its not trivial software engineering imho.
in fact i'll go further and say my recommended music creation combo right now
is pg's rb/biab and reaper.
with respect pitb i would suggest you look at things in the following context.
a song to my mind is akin to building a house.
you start off with a foundation, gradually build up the house and then
add the fancy bits the wife wants..lol.
similarly consider biab/rb for trying out lots of different song foundations,
then once you get that "aha moment" get your bed traks right from
biab/rb and drop em into reaper (or your other preferred traditional
software, samp or ptools or cubase or sonar etc) and then add your final vocals and lead up front
traks and do final mixing.
of course you could do everything in rb/biab if you wish.
but different people use different approaches.

as i said show me a better solution to rb/biab.
i'm all ears and havent seen one.
please dont mention "painting loops".
i tried that once..drove me nuts.
its easy to knock anything, but imho the rb/biab plus real tracks
so one can have real session musicians on ones songs is
a significant breakthrough in music software engineering.
as others have said its how the user uses the tool .
all the best.

retired puter engr....powertracks on amd......NICE !
"what is the black art of audio engineering ?"
my silly songs...motagator.com/bmanning
see my tips in the tips section.
Veteran
Veteran

Last edited by Pat Marr; 07/31/10 06:41 PM.
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Sure blame it all on me. I tell ya it's a crazy world we live in.

Here I was thinking this was the place to come for assistance and 411 on the pgmusic line. what i found is it's a hangout where people come to B.S. and
dont dare ask a question about the value of the software, or the swat team will come and surround ya.

online forums are really hilarious. No matter what the subject is, it could be fishing, it could automobiles, it could be a product forum, they all turn into virtual bars, where people come to meet people cause they cant in real life, and a place where the other users can be their bartender/therapist.

And you have a dispute with one, they all have a dispute with ya. Always admired the one's who could care a less what everyone else thinks, they treat u like an invididual.

But u'd be surprised how many people have no interest in the forum subject they particiapte in, they just go cause people are talking and somebody might listen to them.

"some times you wanna go, where everybody knows your name"

Last edited by Playin In The Band; 07/31/10 08:55 PM.
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
>>> Here are some demos I've done with BIAB. I always try and mix some live stuff in to make it all seem more "real".

Great demos Kevin!

Have Fun!
Peter Gannon
PG Music Inc.
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Here I was thinking this was the place to come for assistance and 411 on the pgmusic line.

it is exactly that

Quote:

what i found is it's a hangout where people come to B.S.

You're right that many of the people here have come to enjoy one another's friendship and wisdom, so it is a bit like a club. But in my observation, everyone who has joined and interacted in a kind and respectful way has fit right in.

Quote:

and dont dare ask a question about the value of the software, or the swat team will come and surround ya.

lots of people ask questions here without stirring up trouble. In fact the vast majority of questions get asked and answered here with mutual respect. Almost all of them. 99.99999%

Quote:

online forums are really hilarious. No matter what the subject is, it could be fishing, it could automobiles, it could be a product forum, they all turn into virtual bars, where people come to meet people cause they cant in real life, and a place where the other users can be their bartender/therapist.

we all know why WE'RE here.. (to learn from others and share what we've learned ) but why are you here?

Quote:

And you have a dispute with one, they all have a dispute with ya.

There's an old saying that goes something like this:
If you have a problem with one person, you might chalk it up to personality differences.
If you have a problem with two people, you might just be having a bad day.
But if you have a problem with EVERYBODY, you should consider the statistical improbability that the whole world is wrong while you are the only one who's right. Therefore, if ALL your interactions go south, you are the only common denominator in all those interactions. Just a thought.

Quote:

Always admired the one's who could care a less what everyone else thinks, they treat u like an invididual.

yes, that is an admirable trait. I find that interaction is a lot like an echo... you tend to get back what you send out. Best way to receive kindness and respect is to send those things out.

Quote:

But u'd be surprised how many people have no interest in the forum subject they particiapte in, they just go cause people are talking and somebody might listen to them

"some times you wanna go, where everybody knows your name"

I think there's truth in that statement.

On a different note, I liked the clips you posted. I think that BIAB and REAL BAND can help you accomplish the goal you are after if you take time to learn the programs. RealTracks are a bit like LEGOs... don't confuse the quality of the building blocks with the quality of the projects built from them. It is possible to build a bad looking lego project from perfectly good legos. Song writing is a skill, and some use the building blocks of song writing more skillfully than others. The quality of your songs will be determined by your own skill level. IMHO, BIAB provides an excellent set of blocks to build with.

I hope that whatever answers you came looking for have been answered satisfactorily

Veteran
Veteran
Officially on ignore.
Just in case you don't know what that is your posts will not show up on my computer any longer. Too bad cause maybe you might by the program and realize the error of your ways but no one will hear ya. No need to reply cause I won't see your post.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Veteran
Veteran
Hi PITB,

I liked your songs. In my opinion, you got a flair for music, lyrics and arrangement. It's good stuff. I got the impression that if you were let loose in a professional recording studio, you'd turn out some amazing material. In relation to BIAB, I think that many of your criticisms are related to production techniques that people have used. In these forums there are some professional players but only a couple of professional producers. From what I've read on the posts over the years, most of us here struggle with mixing and mastering. After hearing your work, I don't think that that will be a problem for you.

Regards,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
sounds good, actually I was guessing what was real and what wasn't and I was correct
on most of it, except for acoustic guitar because you have both real and real band acoustic, in there. lol

might be my opinion but I think that tends to clutter the mix when you have a real acoustic struming with a real band acoustic. If you use acoustic from real band, maybe play electric live over it, it might help to authenticate the acoustic more. or just playing a different part with acoustic like strum regualr chords on acosutic in real band, but then play higher voicing stuff on the live acosutic.
Playing them together makes one stand out over the other and you get a clash.

But it sounds pretty good thanks for sharing

Last edited by Playin In The Band; 08/01/10 07:01 AM.
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
lol, what a regular riot you are.

I'll write a post anyway, in the exremely unlikely astronomical chance you still might be able to read my posts.

what's that you say "I might buy the software, realize the error of my ways, and then no one will hear it"

pssst buddy "this forum is not the whole world" lollllllllllllll, I can guarantee you SOMEBODY will hear it. might even be you. Stranger things have happened.

But what if I dont realize the error of my ways, then what? You say u will punish me if i do see the errror of my ways by not listening, well what do I get if there was no error in my ways, what if I was right?

Then how come I get nothing? Will you at least read my post so I can then punish you by giving you a busted link. Yes, deprive you of the listenign experience, because I was correct and you were wrong.

see now? fair is fair. It's a dog eat dog world and we're all wearing milk bone underwear.

Tee hee, what a card

Last edited by Playin In The Band; 08/01/10 07:11 AM.
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
reasonable post

P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Thanks chief. I think I would let loose in a pro studio, but I'd still need someone to play
tracks I dont feel comfortable playing.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
PitB, What is puzzling me is why you are spending so much time battling folks here if you really don't care about there opinions? What are you defending?

Firstly several of us have offered real advive, but none of it has benn commented on or taken. here goes again, in a real attempt to be helpful. First off I wish i had heard your clips, i can't seem to find them on the page. From what others say your vocals and guitar sound nice, and the drums are adequate. Using BiaB and Rts as bass and a simple piano track would be very easy as far as being wooden or stiff, that is the purpose of RTs they are live recordings, chopped up and regenerated to match the bar markers and chord structure. Bass whether midi or RTs can sound fine in a mix if done right, it is far less critical than the lead guitar, and or backing guitars. Once you have a solid track bed of Real Drums and Real tracks bass, you can layer guitar to the cows come home, and add in a simple solid piano track and move on to the mixing and mastering phase.

I hope this is helpful. It is all this forum and program have to offer. there no other options, as you have said yourself. Try it see what you can do, put the effort into the program. If in 25 days you are not where you want to be ask for your money back and move on.

Oh and by the way Bob Dylan plays the piano quite well, in fact on some concerts he is the piano player. I am sure the old boy plays a nice bass as well.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
Veteran
Veteran
I thought I'd unignore you just so that I could make one last sincere post here to you.
You are absolutely correct. Most of us here, even though we never see each other, feel sort of like family. Peter Gannon is the head of that family. You'll not find a nicer guy at the head of such a great Company. I have seen Peter time & time again give away BIAB & RB to some one who was in a bad way but had been a member of this community. No we DO NOT LIKE ANYONE WHO JUST BLATANTLY BASHES THE PRODUCT.If you need help using the product we are all here to help. If you have a feature you'd like ,post it in the wish forums. If the product doesn't float your boat take your boat to another lake.
If you're a troll I feel sorry for you.
PS No matter what I'll never help you and I doubt anyone else will.
What I meant is that if we all have you on "ignore" even if you apologize no one will see it. It's really to bad if you are a sincere player because BIAB & RB can be a great tool and I think you've alienated this community to the point of no return.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Expert
Expert
Interesting thread. Unfortunately I can't open your soundclick page because it defaults to the first page. Is there another link to your music? I'd like to see what all the fuss is about.

Chris
P
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
P
Well this post explains why I battle, cause it's me they respond to. Nobody will tell you to stop antagonizing me, they just will tell me to do it.

Why didn't you tell the last guy to stop trying to outcast me by saying "no one will listen" you only tell me to stop.

my posts started innocently, I didn't realize it was a board for "regulars" I thought it was a board for
asking questions about the BIAB program.

Had I known it a board with religious furor behind it, I'd of been careful not to question the dogma.

It's almost as if u all have stock in BIAB, and Im somehow depreciating the value of the shares by saying "gee I dont think this could be used for a pro recording" or why does the demos sound better than the users on the board", or why dont their demos sound real but they keep telling me it;s the greatest"

In the grand scheme of things I dont matter, my opinion is not going to hurt sales. Go to Amazon.com
every product there has reviews, some good some bad, if I thought a product was good, I still would never log into to amazon and tried to bully that person for making a bad review.

But thats what happened here, and worse, I wasnt even reviewing, I was basing on what ive heard.

I made a statement saying "the company probably records the tracks in a studio to make them sound better" I mean any person who has ever bought anything has had reservations and questions, but one guy says "THEY DO NOT RECORD THE TRACKS IN A STUDIO THEY ARE HONEST PEOPLE" lol

Would it make them dishonest for doing that? The demos just poofed out of nowhere, they dont have the recorded at all? Would you make them sound as bad as you can instead?

At any rate, If/when I get the set, Im going to get the whole thing. I dont think u can evaluate what it can for you with a basic set of styles. so wer'e talkin 500 or so, taking time to master it months maybe. it's a decent enough investment to be concerned over whether or not it's going to be good.

but basicly nobody is going to bully me into believing their way is the right way, I dont care how many users sign on for the important campaign of silencing me.

Tee hee, still a riot, I havent even bought the software yet, and Im reaping rewards... endless humourous antedotes

D
Journeyman
Journeyman
D
Wow, your last sentence kind of gives you away. Big shock. But, the way I see it, the postings here will probably sell the product to someone else who is lurking on the forum. They will see who's being fair and who is not.

BTW, I did get to hear your music and honestly, I thought it was ok. Too bad you're not being serious about it. If you were, you wouldn't be trolling on a forum to insult software, users, and potential listeners, as that's to sell anything - especially music.

Veteran
Veteran
Far too much effort has been wasted on this thread.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,558
Posts734,397
Members38,490
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
michel vermeulen, Mikanh132, ABE, Nancy Gochnauer, Frank G
38,489 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 184