Page 1 of 2 1 2
#81224 07/30/10 05:41 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
I'm looking into getting one of these rather low-cost keyboards for open mic type events, nursing home sing-a-longs, etc. I'm aware of the fact that they just have a stereo 1/4" output. I also intend to use it to play B3 and EP now and then with a band that has asked me to do so.

Reviews that I have read for this purpose seem quite positive. There's a WK-3000 in the local Craigslist for not too much cash.

I also like that it has a pitch bend wheel - for the occasional synth lead line.

I know that it's getting a little long in the tooth, but I seem to remember positive reviews here from somebody - who was it?

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The WK-3000 sounds pretty good. It won't blow you away, but not bad. If I remember correctly, the 3000 output is the headphone output, which should work. Somewhere on the web is a step by step for how to add your own line-out on the 3000 (so you keep the headphone jack for that purpose).

It's pretty easy to play once you learn where the buttons are. Bunch of sounds; don't limit yourself to the lower end of the spectrum. I've got a WK-3700, but used to have the WK-3500 (similar). I like having 76 keys, rather than 61.

You'll definitely going to want to run it through some sort of amp, as it only has a 6-watt speaker system built in, and the speakers are pointing towards you, not the audience.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
...have a couple different flavors of Casio at home myself. I started with the old WK-1600, graduated to a 3000, brought an 1800 off of eBay for $125 a few years ago and have an 8000 at home.

The one word of caution that I would give you is that they have a tendency to have keys break over time up at the top of the key where it attaches to the keyboard. The keys that are used on all of the WK's are interchangeable with other WKs and other lower end Casios. I have an old crummy battery operated portable (non WK) that I scavenge keys off of whenever a key breaks on my gigging keyboard.

The key draw to using one of the Casio WK's for a Band in a Box user is poly timbral polyphony. Plug your keyboard into a MIDI/USB connector and you can rock out with Band in a Box. The WK has 16 channels of MIDI and up to 32 notes sounding simultaneously. I've graduated up to a Ketron SD-2 now, but used the Casio WK's for years for song arranging and development.

Jon is correct about the audio direct mod. There used to be a documented modification that you could do to any of the WK's so that you could run them through an amp. With the mod they're still a bit noisy but far better than running through the head phone jack. Let me know if you have trouble finding the directions to the modification.

Have fun,
Bill

Last edited by Bill Lyons; 07/30/10 01:22 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Would appreciate being pointed to the mods for a line-out from Casio Kybds. Presently, I have to use the head-phone jack to my amp. Thanks, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Hey Ray,

I just checked online. It doesn't look like the mod is out there anymore. Here's the basics:

What you'll need:

Screwdriver.
Two 1/4 mono audio jacks (what you plug a guitar cord into). Available at any Radio Shack.
Soldering iron.
Copper wire - about 4 feet.

Set up shop on a kitchen, dining room or picnic table. You'll need enough room for the keyboard plus the keyboard's lid opened up over the top.

The mod is easy. (Probably easier than hot wiring a car - although I've never tried ;-O ).
Remove any batteries from the keyboard.
Turn the keyboard face down.
Use a long magnetic screw driver to remove all of the screws from the bottom. Place them in a small cup or sandwich bag so that you don't lose any.
Turn the keyboard face up with the keys facing you.
Lift up on the cover underneath of the keyboard to loosen it up from the bottom of the frame.
Do the same thing with the back but do not remove the lid yet.
Now pull the lid forward a few inches so that the key bed (the part with the felt on top) is moved away from the bottom of the keyboard and towards you.

This is one of the most delicate steps:
*Slowly* tilt the lid back away from you. There are some ribbon cables that are held into place with flexible hook holders inside the guts of the keyboard.

Open these slowly and release the ribbon cables so that you can freely tip the lid back onto the table.

Plug the keyboard into the power brick. (Don't worry - the Casios use low DC voltage).
Now locate the volume knob or slider on the lid. Find the 6 wires coming out of there and the ribbon cable that connects to a small circuit board.
Find the black battery terminal.

Drill holes large enough to hold the audio jacks that you purchased into the back of the lid. Make sure that they
are situated in a spot where they will not interfere with lid closure. You can usually find a spot near where the other pedals and jacks are located.

Cut a wire long enough to go from the black battery terminal to one of the jack grounds.

Solder the ground into place on one jack.
Cut another small wire to go from the ground on one jack to the other jack and solder/series the two grounds together.

Cut two more wires long enough to reach from the jacks to the volume slider/pot or to the circuit board where
the ribbon cable from the volume pot connects (either way works).

Solder the two wires to the hot lead on each jack (do not connect them).

Plug an amplifier into the left jack.

Pull up any sound on the keyboard and use the mixer to pan the sound hard left. Also, turn off any reverb. This will help you verify that you're not getting any bleed through across channels. (Consult the manual if you don't know how to do this).

Use the "hot" wire from the left jack to probe for the sound on the panel that connects to the volume pot. You'll know that you have the right one because:

1. It makes a sound.
2. It is not distorted.
3. It varies in volume when you turn the volume knob up and down.
4. It varies in volume when you change the pan.

If all of the items above are true, you have found the correct contact point. Keep trying until you're certain of the point to connect the wire (It's a one in 6 choice - you'll figure it out).

Once you have located the right connection point, solder the hot wire into place, pan hard right and start the process over again with the right jack.

If you've done everything correctly, you should be able to put one sound on the Left channel and another on the Right without interference between the two channels.

If all goes well. Slowly put your keyboard back together. Take extra care when you're positioning the ribbon cables and locking them back into place.

Before you put the screws back in, double check to make sure that everything is still working properly and that no wires are caught in the lid or will obstruct the screw holes when you screw the lid back onto the keyboard. (I once got all the way to the end, and actually cut one of the ribbon connectors when I screwed right through the middle of one. Take your time and be careful.

I've done this mod at least 6 times on various Casios over the past 10 years.

Good luck,
Bill

Last edited by Bill Lyons; 07/30/10 04:14 PM.
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the info, Bill. Saving it for when I get brave enough to do it. I bought a Casio Privia PX 110 because it is light to carry around. My Rolands were getting too heavy to cart around. Later, Ray

Asus Q500A i7 Win 10 64 bit 8GB ram 750 HD 15.5" touch screen, BIAB 2017, Casio PX 5s, Xw P1, Center Point Stereo SS V3 and EWI 4000s.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The earphone jack output is electrically identical to an unbalanced Line Output.

--Mac

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Can a CASIO keyboard turn in a swingin' performance?

Check these two kids out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MUVydVx6SU

Off-Topic
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Hey Mac,

Hope all is well with you. I'm not sure what you mean. By going directly for that volume pot, I bypass that noisy little headphone amp and go probably pretty close to where the direct out would be soldered in. The Casio is not the best sounding ax in the world, but bypassing the headphone amp it helps to cut down on at least some of the noise.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Lyons; 07/30/10 08:25 PM.
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Ah, the headphone amp is noisy. I get you now.

If I tapped the vol pots for signal - I'd also insert a capacitor in series with each line, to block DC. (That could happen from outside the unit)

--Mac

Off-Topic
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
Awesome. I do get some noise/interference this way (but it's less noisy than the blessed headphone jack). Do you have a rough idea of how big a capacitor I should use for each channel?

Thanks,
Bill

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Well, it would be rather low impedance audio here, so if economy was a concern then I'd likely go for 10uF electrolytics to make sure that bass frequencies got thru and then some.

These would be polarized caps, so I'd put the DMM to the pot output to see if there was any DC there and govern the polarization direction of the caps accordingly. If no DC is measured at the pot, then it likely wouldn't matter but I'd want to place both caps in the same polarity for each channel, of course.

For ultimate audiophile edition I'd go with silver mica caps, which are nonpolarized. 1uF or 2uF should do it.

I'd want at least a 35V rating, with higher voltage ratings being better.

The idea here is to protect the keyboard from the outside world, as it were. Whenever you add electrical ports to the outside world, you want to guard against the wildest of possible scenarios. Such as plugging the keyboard into an amp or mixer that had a shorted coupling capacitor in its first stage, which would likely mean that DC would be present.

Is it needed to work? No. Just a good idea for the sake of longevity. Or, as my late uncle used to say, "couldn't hoit.." .

--Mac

Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Well, now I have interest in several of these lower cost casio boards. I see that the WK 1630 has lead synth programmability, and mod and pitch bend wheels as well. However, no drawbar organ from what I can tell.

-Scott

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Scott - FYI the "sleeper" deal is now discontinued, but you may find one on the used market. Radio Shack marketed the WK-3000 (and a few other CASIO models that use that engine) under their own brand name. Identical in all respects exept for the nameplate, back when the Shack closed them out they sold them off for pennies on the dollar. So someone with a Radio Shack casio may be willing to sell it for even less $$. Keep your eyes open. Use the websearch to find out what the Radio Shack catalog and model numbers were. Identical to the WK-3000, right down to the big Grand Piano button.

--Mac

Off-Topic
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S
Speaking of Shack...

Scott and all,

I've had a Casio WK3500 for a number of years here, maybe 6, not sure. The 3500 is the 76 key version. It has given me sterling service. They may not be robust enough for year round gigging, as the keys issue above illustrates, but I think they sound pretty impressive for something you can hold under one arm and which has only 6 watts a side. Mines been extrememly useful for my occaisional home recording forays and a multitude of other uses.

For use with BIAB it has been a godsend to be able to manually turn off various MIDI channels at the keyboard, using the little rubber MIDI cannel buttons, in order to isolate particular instrumental channels and learn a part exactly. (I'm ashamed to say I still can't work out how to do that from within BIAB!)

The current Casio equivalent model in the shops does heaps more than my '2004 and costs $5-600 less than the $1100 I paid then for it. 2 big thumbs up from me for them. I concur with the poster above about getting the versions with most keys. If you are any kind of keys player you will find the 61 key layout compromising, but almost as importantly, the physically larger 76 key version has more enclosure space within the case for better mid and bass sound. Best wishes with your purchase. Cheers, John.

Off-Topic
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Quote:

For use with BIAB it has been a godsend to be able to manually turn off various MIDI channels at the keyboard, using the little rubber MIDI cannel buttons, in order to isolate particular instrumental channels and learn a part exactly. (I'm ashamed to say I still can't work out how to do that from within BIAB!)

right click each instrument name you want to silence and choose mute

Lenovo YOGA 900 Window s 10 Home 64bit 16GB RAM\2018 13” MacBook Air casio wk7500 presonus audiobox i2 usb interface
casio wk-7500
biab & realband 2023 everything pk both with Current builds
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
R
Does anyone know which models included at minimum a pitch bend wheel? For live performance, I find that is a must for me for synth leads.

I also like mod wheels but can do without if there's a way to switch leslie effects some other way. I'm so used to 'turning the leslie on and off' with a mod wheel that it's like riding a bike. But I think I could switch to a pedal-switched type thing or even a roland d-beam switch.

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
My mouth is watering...if I was younger I'd add this new board to my collection of keyboards/samplers. Just one reason:
Integrated Sampling Sequencer
With the Integrated Sampling Sequencer, you can integrate audio (sampled) data and MIDI data seamlessly. WAV/AIFF loading is also supported. You can use the time slice feature to slice the sampled sounds that you load and control them in the same way that you would control MIDI data. For example, you can synchronize audio data to the same BPM as MIDI sequence data. Also, by presetting the tempo, time signature, necessary number of measures, and number of beats, you can smoothly perform trimming and easily create perfect audio loops. Also, you can use a variety of editing commands to modify your samples. The Motif XF supports features such as time stretching, in which the sample length is changed while the pitch remains the same; pitch shifting, in which the pitch is changed while the length of the sample remains the same; and loop remixing which instantly creates new musical variations of looped grooves. In addition, there is a resampling feature that you can use to record the performance of the Motif XF as a single audio sample.
I have had a Yamaho Motif 88 ES for many years, and it's one tough and heavy keyboard...
bought it as an investment in the future, added a few soundboards, and it's been great, and still used by many performing musicians.

Now we have this new Motif, and if I could, I'd recommend the new XF Motif...probably the "6" would be most useful for your activities...a whole new flash memory ...new sounds, etc., etc. Money well spent, to my mind~~

It will do everything you need, including great recording capabilities.

Check out the Yamaho site, and video....

http://www.yamaha.com/yamahavgn/CDA/Cont...amp;CTID=206400

http://www.thegigbaby.com

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Does anyone know which models included at minimum a pitch bend wheel? For live performance, I find that is a must for me for synth leads.

The WK-3500 and the WK-3700 have pitch bend wheels. The WK-3000 and another model I can't think of in the 3000-series only has a toggle switchI think the WK-3800 might also have it, but the MIDI interface on the 3800 is strictly USB (not 5-pin MIDI cables).

By the way, if you get a 3500 or a 3700, let me know as I have all the downloads for additional styles and stuff for both keyboards.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
Off-Topic
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
...Yep, you're right. The USB interface looks good on paper (use an old printer cable to hook up your keyboard to your computer in place of two MIDI cables). Unfortunately, Casio does not support all OS's. You're better off with a conventional MIDI port.

The 3800 is a USB only to replace the Midi. A friend of mine has one of those. My home machine, a WK-8000, also has that USB only design. The big problem with that design is that Casio developed drivers for the USB for Windows XP-32, Windows NT and 95. I'm not sure that Mac is even supported but I know that XP-64 and Vista-64 are not. I contacted Casio when I got the 8000 and asked for 64 bit drivers for that USB, and they said that there was no plan to develop them. I'm not sure about using the USB/Midi replacement on Windows 7, you'll have to dig around to find out. This is one of the reasons why I've remained on XP-32 for the time being. You might check again to see if Win 7 is supported for keyboards that have the USB replacement for MIDI like the 8000. Also, Casio has all of their manuals available online. It is possible to pull down all of the documentation to examine which keyboard had which features without buying one.

Bill

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,553
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199