Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#82151 - 08/09/10 02:21 PM [RealBand] TC Helicon Voice Works Users
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
The other day i bought a TC harmony G, i tried it out and did not like it that much, what I really wanted was a Voice works, so I could feed it midi data to control it. I did not want to have to work off a constant guitar signal. AS I wanted to use it for recording as well. So long story I sent it back under the return policy, and ordered a voice works unit.

I would love some good suggestions as to how to set this up when it gets here.

1. I want to feed it off a midi track in my songs. what do you do to get that to function properly?

2. Many reviews say to turn off the EQ to get better sounds, is that true?

3. what patch sets work best with say a midi guitar track?

4. Some of the videos on YouTube show that the first set of patches are for actually playing the notes into for the harmony from a keyboard, I want to have a midi chord sequence track fire the harmonies any suggestions?

5. Any suggestions on how to get CC to start stop, and adjust the harmony inside a track of a song?

I know a lot of these questions overlap, so maybe you get the idea, i am looking for some suggestions as to how to make this thing work well, what have you seen, and learned that might be handy for me.

Thanks in advance for any and all ideas. Rob
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#82152 - 08/09/10 05:26 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Robh]
KeithS Offline
Expert

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Quote:

I would love some good suggestions as to how to set this up when it gets here.

One thing that I would suggest is downloading the PDF version of the Voiceworks manual from TC-Helicon’s website. It might help you get a head start on your understanding of the unit before it gets there, and for another, it will help you ask more informed questions about the operation. Looking over your questions here, they are quite a bit of a shotgun bunch of questions that would probably be more focused if you were more familiar with how the unit operates.

Quote:

I want to feed it off a midi track in my songs. what do you do to get that to function properly?

Well, one of the modes is to have harmonies generated from chords that are presented to the Voiceworks either from a prerecorded MIDI track or through real time MIDI performance. The more solid and distinct that the chords are, the better the unit can pick them up and generate the appropriate harmonies. There is an option in BIAB that generates a special track for harmonies when you create a MIDI file from a BIAB song. These work pretty well when communicating with the TC-Helicon harmonizers that I own. If it isn’t obvious, you have to set up your MIDI device to send the chords over a given MIDI channel and the Voiceworks needs to be set up to receive on that same channel in order to work.
Quote:

Many reviews say to turn off the EQ to get better sounds, is that true?

If the reviewers mean on the incoming signal from your live vocal, that vocal should be as clean as possible. No color change from the original, no reverb or other effects. If they are saying turn the EQ off on the Voiceworks I doubt that it is possible to make a blanket statement like that. Like anything else, you are going to make your mind up about what kind of setting sounds goood coming out of the unit which has all sorts of things like EQ, chorus, compression, reverb, delay etc.
Quote:

what patch sets work best with say a midi guitar track?

The patches are presets (there are about 100 of them) and they are really just examples or starting points for using the various harmony modes. The patches that use MIDI chords, which is what you say you are looking for, are grouped together on the patch list. There are just a handful of them. If you are using a sequencer you can do it through an instrument definition the same way that you pull up instrument banks/patches in a MIDI sequencer. I think I downloaded my instrument definition from Cakewalk’s site, so obviously that would be specific for use in SONAR.
I’ll emphasize something here. If I were putting chords in to trigger the Voiceworks, I’d be more inclined to put them in specifically for that purpose as opposed to snagging something that was part of the accompaniment. Not that the latter won’t work, it just sometimes those don’t present the best chords to trigger your harmonies.
Quote:

Some of the videos on YouTube show that the first set of patches are for actually playing the notes into for the harmony from a keyboard, I want to have a midi chord sequence track fire the harmonies any suggestions?

mmm…….this is going to sound like a wise a$$ comment, but its true even if I am cracking wise. Choose the patches that are meant to trigger the harmonies from chords. Again, remember, the patches that they are using in those YouTube videos are just Presets. You can punch them up on the unit or you can trigger them through an instrument definition. Or even better, you can use them for experimentation and to understand how it works, and build up your own preset to call up what sounds good to you.
Quote:

Any suggestions on how to get CC to start stop, and adjust the harmony inside a track of a song?

I use a MIDI sequencer (SONAR) and do a lot of the placement of the commands in the Piano Roll view.

A question you should have asked: What methods yield the most realistic and pleasing harmonies?

Once you spend some time with this harmonizer, and working with chords to generate harmonies, some of which you will like, and some of which will make you grind your teeth, you will look for other ways to trigger harmonies. Next up the food chain in terms of ease of use, is to use one of the modes that permit you to send a MIDI control message that tells the Voiceworks what the bass note of the chord is. As I recall, sending “0” is C, (it might be “1”) the next number up is C# and so on up the scale. Variations in the selection of the harmony mode will force a minor chord, 7th chord, Maj6, sus4 etc.

The most advanced mode is one that creates the harmony note for note. You input the MIDI notes, your virtual group sings them. All other input modes use a single MIDI channel, the note for note mode requires 4 consecutive MIDI channels to operate.
Windows 7 64 Bit, SONAR Platinum, Sony Vegas 13, Acid 7, Sony Audio Master Suite, Waves Horizon Bundle, Izotope Ozone 7 Advanced

#82153 - 08/09/10 07:00 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: KeithS]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Thanks Keith, i appreciate the input. And Cracking Wise is half the fun here. I will do as suggested and read teh manual. One thing is that mostly i will use this for live backing tracks. I want the midi feed track to send a CC command to turn on the harmonizer, and then have it follow the chords. But i will also experiement with single notes from 1 to four tracks. Midi was the whole reason i wanted this unit. I do not want to over do this, as i find that falls into the grinding your teeth catagory. Subtle seems to be the trick. I noticed on the You tube videos that sometimes it was spot on and sounded so real, and other times it was a bit much.

som,e songs sound great with just one shawdo harmony, and other things seem to need a chorus. Sometimes i want a 5th and a 3rd, sometimes a octave and a 3rd. Whatever i just want to spice it up a bit. Sometimes i sing my own harmonies and that works.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#82154 - 08/09/10 09:31 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Robh]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Yes, by all means visit the TC website, locate the downloadables for your selected model, download them. The .pdf manual and any other stuff like that.

Then don't forget to look for any possible forums they may have about the care and feeding of your unit and at least lurk them if not sign up altogether.

And don't forget to Bookmark that site, you probably will be visiting it again.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#82155 - 08/09/10 11:59 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Mac]
critter Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Wisconsin
Sounds like me Mac, not to long ago with the Voice Live-2......lol

#82156 - 08/10/10 01:38 AM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: critter]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
There are quite a few people here with TCHelicon vocal processors of one kind or another. You should be able to get all the help you need. Prepare to be frustrated at first, and thrilled in due time.

There are 3 basic harmony modes:

SCALIC (my personal favorite, because it is very easy, and it provides a very active harmony. Basically, you set the scale of your song, and the processor forces your harmony and/or pitch correction notes into that scale.

advantages:
1) doesn't require MIDI (but can still be controlled that way if you want)
2) easy
3) generally sounds good

disadvantages
1) some songs are in more than one key, and if you aren't using midi to change keys at the right place, the whole harmony can go south very quickly
2) It's not always easy to determine the key/mode of the song. It's frustrating to get a song sounding "right" except for one note that drives you nuts.

CHORDAL (my next favorite)
1) Chordal mode DOES require midi chord input
2) IMHO, the harmonies aren't quite as active
3) if the key changes it doesn't matter since your harmonies are following the chords, not the key.
4) BIAB and RB make this mode work VERY easily!

NOTES (my least favorite)
1) follows midi notes, and requires a lot of work to get the notes programmed
2) to my ear it sounds more contrived than the other harmonies
3) but for very specific harmonies like Beach Boys it is the only way to nail the notes exactly

one tip when using notes mode: go into piano roll and stretch the note duration until the next note starts. That way as long as you sing there will be harmony (it won't drop out because the note duration was shorter than your singing)

You'll want a mic with some built-in gating or an external noise gate or volume pedal to keep external sounds from affecting the pitch correcting and harmonies.

#82157 - 08/10/10 11:48 AM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Pat Marr]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Thanks everyone so far. Pat, i would imagine i can use a combo of all three as some songs will lend to chordal, and other Scalic, still others note based. I will have to dig in and start learning as soon as the unit arrives. Which should be around friday or next monday.

I will assume that for recording purposes with headphones on it should be rather pristine and there a nice scalic mode setup would have some rather active and precise harmonies. What i plan on doing for any live backing track type songs is to record the harmonies on an audio track so that things can't go as wrong as they can live using the unit.

#82158 - 08/14/10 06:02 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Robh]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

Rob,

You can send midi chords in real time from Biab. I believe it is located in the "channels" section of the preferences. There should be one listed as "output" channel and it needs to be check marked. I use channel 16 to send the chords to my keyboard here. I have to also set my keyboard to receive the data to channel 16 as well. Works very well here.

Trax

#82159 - 08/16/10 11:37 AM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Muzic Trax]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Trax i am using RB, since it allows multiple midi output and has more tracks available.

#82160 - 08/17/10 02:48 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Robh]
Muzic Trax Offline
Veteran

I should have caught that since this is RB Forum, duh !!

How about setting a track's velocity to 0 or 1 and see if it will send the chords that way? You would need to locate a Biab style that has a simple guitar or piano comping part and generate it in RB. Then set up TC to receive from that designated channel you have generated. Worth a shot.

Good luck,

Trax

#82161 - 08/18/10 01:59 AM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Muzic Trax]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

If your particular style piano track doesn't work well enough generate a PNOSIMP4 or PNOSIMP3 style piano track, lower the volume and adjust the channel to match.

#82162 - 08/18/10 12:02 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Sundance]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Thanks Josie, i will giver that a go. On most of my songs there are guitar or piano chord tracks i could clone them and use one for playback and one for harmony i guess too.

#82163 - 08/21/10 11:22 AM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Robh]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Okay i have the unit, and have played with it for two evenings. So far love it. I agree with Keith, some setting are awesome, some make you grind your teeth. I found you have to change the root on the chordal mode, to get it to harmonize in key, i am still finding my way with the presets, i have screwed up a couple and need to fix them. At least it has a restore feature. It seems that sometimes i change the root note for key and they all change. Curious, now i have to play with the song settings so I can recall a patch for a particular song.

Anyone use the software program?

Also what is the CC command to turn the thing on and off, that does not seem clear?

#82164 - 08/22/10 02:56 AM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Robh]
Pat Marr Offline
Veteran

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
if your manual is the same as mine (a few year's older model) near the end of the manual there should be a few pages that show all the CCs and tells what they do.

it's on Pages 26, 27 and 28 in mine.

You can turn all sorts of things on and off...

I think to turn pitch correction off or on send CC 113
(any value from 0-63 will turn it off, any value from 64-127 will turn it on)

likewise for harmony, send CC 110
(any value from 0-63 will turn it off, any value from 64-127 will turn it on)

to turn effects off/on send CC 112

etc

You can change the root note also with CCs so that your sequence sets everything the way you want it for each song

(assuming Scalic mode)
to set root note for pitch correction send CC 47
to set root note for harmony send CC 30
in both cases the value you send with it will be 0-11,
0=C, 1=C#, 2=D, 3=D#, 4=E, 5=F ETC

You shouldn't need to set any of that in chordal mode because you're sending chords to the unit so the root note changes with every chord.

Edited by Pat Marr (08/22/10 02:03 PM)

#82165 - 08/22/10 08:54 PM [RealBand] Re: TC Helicon Voice Works Users [Re: Pat Marr]
Robh Offline
Veteran

That is what i was doing CC 110 and the value for on/off as shown, but no joy! maybe i am missing some small detail. I have tried advanced and GM basic both

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® Video Testimonials!

Tell everyone how much you love Band-in-a-Box® with your very own Band-in-a-Box® Testimonial video!

Submit your video, and when we use it on our website (and YouTube page) we will send you a FREE Band-in-a-Box® Hard Drive!

Take a look at the video testimonials we've already received at www.pgmusic.com/videotestimonials.php

Learn more about how to submit your video testimonial here.

Beginners Help - Muting the Melody Notation

Visit our Beginners Forum, and you'll notice our amazing Forum Community helping out new program users!

Like this recent post regarding Muting the Melody Notation: http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458716 - Forum user Matt Finley did a great job of answering the new program user!

Our Beginners Forum really is a great resource for new program users!

Q: When I have entered chords and notation for a song, is it possible to mute the notation and just have the chords playing? This would be helpful for when I just want the chord backing track but want to read the notation.

A: There are several ways to do this. The easiest is probably to use the Mixer window and change the volume slider to zero for the Melody track. Or, hit the Mute icon on the Mixer for the Melody Track.

Another way, with more control rather than all or nothing, is to press F5 at the measure where you want to mute, and select mute or change the volume to zero. Later, press F5 and select Return to Normal, or change the volume back.

Introducing... RealTracks Artists David Wise & Shelly Justice!

For the first time ever Band-in-a-Box® can generate backing vocals with some amazing "oohs" and "aahs" vocal arrangements with RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs! Add male or female parts by renowned Nashville vocalists David Wise and Shelly Justice, and you'll LOVE the results!

David and Shelly have recorded with many different artists, including CeCe Winans, Dolly Parton, Don Henley, Donnie McClurkin, Jeremy Camp, Lady Antebellum, OneRepublic, Steve Green, and more!

RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs includes a three-part, six-voice arrangement – which you can use all together in your song or individually for more delicate textures! Listen to the demos for RealTracks Set 278 here.

Purchase RealTrack Set 278: Shiny Vocals Oohs and Aahs for just $29 here. It's also included in the Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows PlusPAK, UltraPAK, and Audiophile Edition.

Learn more about Dave & Shelly when you visit their RealTracks Artist Bio page:
David Wise: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=150
Shelly Justice: http://www.pgmusic.com/realtracks.artists.php?a=151

#TechTipTuesday - Band-in-a-Box® Patch Updates

If you're ever experiencing an issue with your Band-in-a-Box program, make sure you have the most recent patch update for your version - this can be done at http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm.

Patch updates are released frequently, and are created by our development team to fix any reported bugs, tweak existing features within the program, update demos and other files as needed, and more!

To find out which version of the program you have, visit Help | About Band-in-a-Box within the program. You will see the full version number listing as:
Band-in-a-Box® for Windows
Version 2018 (512)

The number in parentheses is the build number. As you can see, my Band-in-a-Box is up to date and will continue to stay that way because I've selected "Automatically check for updates every 7 days" within the Help | Check for Updates.... option (you can set the number of days to a different number). This window will also look to see if you're version is up to date, so you don't technically have to visit http://www.pgmusic.com/support.updates.win.htm if you didn't want to!

Once you've installed your patch update (make sure the program is closed when you're doing this), give it another try - if you are still experiencing the same issue you can report it by contacting us directly, or you can post your result to the Forum thread that also announces the patch update, like our recent Band-in-a-Box 2018 Build 512 Update (Feb 15) post.

YouTube Find - How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES

Check out one of EricBlackmonGuitar's latest videos, How To Play SLOW A7 BLUES Guitar Solo With 4 NOTES and you'll hear a great Band-in-a-Box backing track!

http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=blJPIX-9YbE

...and you'll also learn how to play blues with just a few notes!

A Little Bit Of Me Music Video!

A great music video created by forum user Floyd Jane! https://youtu.be/qPrejgnwb4M?t=3600

This song was featured in a detailed "The Birth of a Song" video created by Floyd Jane - watch the complete video here:
http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=qPrejgnwb4M

RealBand 2018 Build 5 Update Available!

RealBand 2018 customers can download the latest free patch update here: http://www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#2018_5

Summary of Changes for Build 5
Added: When generating the input file for saving as an MGU/SGU SongMode128= is saved to the input file.
Added: Localization support for 2018.
Added: flyby hints to new dialogs.
Fixed: Save As with a filename greater than 128 chars could cause an error 123 plus access violation.
Fixed: Rebooting RealBand after a filename with 128 chars was saved could cause an access violation.
Fixed: Pressing the Change button in the Event List Window could result in an access violation if an event was not a Note event.
Fixed: When running in Win 10, and using BBW or PT to generate audio harmonies, an error would occur saying that you need BB 2011 or PT 12 to generate audio harmonies.
Fixed: Midi Thru Method was not being saved to the .INI file. It always reverting to Track-Specific when booting up RealBand, even if the user manually changed the setting to Global in the Midi Thru Settings dialog.
Fixed: Delete All Notes on This Peg menu item in notation window right-click menu was missing.
Fixed: Potential crash on exit (having to do with the DLL attempting to free up a dynamic array that was passed to it).

Forum Stats
27141 Members
49 Forums
50335 Topics
413170 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
AM3, RoRoSong, WHW, smily, jeffkepner1

27142 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Matt Finley 255
Noel96 232