Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Hi all,

I've been writing songs for over twenty years, and this year I started using the latest BIAB to demo my material.
This month I signed my first publishing contracts for three of my songs, two of the three demoed using BIAB.
So I'd just like to say a great big THANK YOU to PG Music for making it possible for someone like me, who is in no way an accomplished musician,recording engineer or producer, to make my material available to the music business.
You've helped make an old fella's dreams come true and I shall be eternally grateful.
I'm no expert using BIAB so I would be grateful for any comments from the seasoned veterans here. I hope you like what you hear!

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=442509&content=music

All bar five of the songs on my page have been done using BIAB. My method is to save my finished BIAB song as a WMV file, convert that to an mp3, and then upload it to two tracks of my Roland VS1680.
I then add lead and backing vocals using the Rolands onboard effects for any reverb etc.

I look forward to hearing any comments

Thanks again PG!!

Music is what feelings sound like.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
quite a collection of songs you've got there, Martin! You have a very recognizeable "signature style"

To my ear, you did a great job of putting these songs together. Congratulations on the success you've had in marketing the songs. I'm sure this is exactly the kind of story PGMusic wants to grace this forum!

It seems that each listener's audio equipment affects the way people hear songs on this forum, and on my equipment it sounds like your vocals are too far back.

But, if you've sold 3 songs already, don't change a thing.

User Showcase
Apprentice
Apprentice
Hi Martin

Really like your songs!! You have a very very nice voice.
I tend to agree with Pat Marr about the positioning of the vocal in the mix, however Im sure it will be fixed later on. One thing about your voice, it tends to 'clip' now and then (hope you know what I refer to) I also believe though, that this is intentional, however the 'clipping' disturbed me a bit at times.
Having said that though- a very nice collection of songs, your contract is well earned.

Best
Jan

JROM
User Showcase
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Whooha - Mr_Songman, Martin
Luve your stuff. Cool mixing there. Sounds like - well - real. Like recorded live at times. Straight forward and very "liquid" (in lack of a better term). Voice could be a tad more forward - in all songs. But I guess you wanted it like this. The way it sounds - just great. I would like to attend your next gig, live performance. Honestly. Powerful, energetic. Love it.
Cudos, Daniel

PS: I think you tend to mix your songs in "your way". What I think is common to all your tracks is a tendency to emphasise drums and your vocals get a wee bit lost in the mix. Hey - your tunes have a distinct flavour to them (Rubber Ball). I like i! Great you could publish some of these songs? This is a great first posting of some great songs out there. Why not work in 44.1/16 and get rid of mp3 and WMA?

BIAB 2012 (ASIO) on Vista 32, Dual-Core 2.0Ghz with 4GB Memory. Main DAW is Samplitude (11 & ProX) and I like Spaghetti. BTW: Today is a good Day to have a Good Day.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Martin, I like the raw sounds of your songs! You have a great grasp of songwriting - lyrics, chord changes, variety, lyrics, light and shade, etc. Delivery is also energetic and enthusisastic, and I liked the harmonies and their placing. Great. I can see why you've managed to get some published, congratulations!

On some of the songs my head was imagining hard-blown saxes, strings, etc. here and there. I'd have liked more variety as it sounds almost like the songs were all recorded in one session, but as already mentioned, you have a signature sound and if they're song demos for a publisher then a can see that a no-frills approach is needed. Can I say that the singing is over-Americanised? I assume if you're from Surrey you're English and it jars on me a little when people try to emulate strong US accents when it's not necessary. If you're a US expat settled in Surrey, then please forgive me!
Were the drums BIAB/RB or live?

John

Songs web site
YouTube Channel
BIAB 2019
Cakewalk by BandLab
Studio One 4
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

On some of the songs my head was imagining hard-blown saxes, strings, etc. here and there. I'd have liked more variety as it sounds almost like the songs were all recorded in one session, but as already mentioned, you have a signature sound and if they're song demos for a publisher then a can see that a no-frills approach is needed.
John

having a "signature sound" can be a mixed blessing. On the positive side, it makes you stand out in the crowd, making it easy to name the artist when your song is played. But the down side is that a signature sound also tends to give every song the same signature unless pains are taken to differentiate.

In a live band, the uniqueness usually comes from the other musicians, who lend their creative quirks to make the song unlike any other. But when using software with a limited number of riffs that get rearranged song after song, you have to introduce unexpected twists in other ways, or run the risk of having songs that sound too much alike. This is compounded if the same style is used for more than one song.

User Showcase
R
Journeyman
Journeyman
R
I echo the team on this thread with one addition. There are times when I am listening to your voice that I can hear a touch of Bob Dylan in the vocal sound circa mid 70s. (This is on the first track on your page.)

And amen to your comments on PG Music. Like you, I too am one that was able to put what I have in my head onto an audio file. And for me, it is something I truly enjoy for myself and am often amazed if someone listens to it. We have a great discussion group here that enjoy sharing their expertise and I have learned a lot from them as well as began to push the envelope myself a bit.

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Martin, I like the raw sounds of your songs! You have a great grasp of songwriting - lyrics, chord changes, variety, lyrics, light and shade, etc. Delivery is also energetic and enthusisastic, and I liked the harmonies and their placing. Great. I can see why you've managed to get some published, congratulations!

I concur! A HUGE +1 from me

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
SUPER JOB!

I love the songs, the vocals, the harmonies and the backing tracks.

I do agree that the vocals should be more a tad up front.

I do like your style!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Point taken.

No accident that you have managed to sell a few of these songs.

Martin you have my respect and admiration for your talents.

Regards,

Marc

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice
Hi guys,

Firstly, I'd like to aplogise for not replying to all your comments sooner. Life will interfere sometimes.

Secondly, I'd like to thank one and all for your extremely kind and constructive comments regarding my efforts. A friendlier and more helpful bunch of people I couldn't hope to find anywhere. I'm so glad I decided to join the forum.

This is just a general response and I will now answer you all individually.

Thanks again!!

Martin

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Thank you Pat for your comments. Having heard and enjoyed your material, I accept it as high praise indeed.

Regarding the vocals, I've always had a tendency to lay my vocal as far back in the mix as I think I can get away with, mostly due to my lack of confidence in my voice. I think I know how to sing, I just don't have a good voice to go with the technique!

AlthoughI thought they were okay, I guess the problem to my ear lies with the fact that I know the words, so to me they sound perfectly clear!

Seeing as your opinion is echoed by everybody on here, I think I feel a remix session coming on!

Thanks again!!

Martin

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your comments, they are much appreciated. I have to say I hadn't noticed the "clipping" until you pointed it out, so thank you for that. I just need to find out now where it originates!!

I'd also like to say I really like your song "And So It Ends", I'd have been pleased to have written that one myself!! And I think the remix works really well too - a great job on both counts!!

All the best

Martin

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Wow Deltagolf,

Thank you so much. I'm glad you liked what you heard.

You maybe right about the drums, I used to be a drummer so I guess my ear is favoured somewhat toward them still. I may have to keep an eye, or an ear, on that!!

I'm not a performer, so I've never played a live gig. I don't even do Karaoke!!! But thanks for the kind words.

Regarding your comment: "Why not work in 44.1/16 and get rid of mp3 and WMA? "

Sounds like a great idea but I'm not sure how I would go about it. Any helpful hints would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Martin

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Hi Skyline,

Thank you so much for your comments. They give me a little more confidence in my recording efforts.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comments regarding the production, or lack of, on some of the tracks. My only defence is that, whilst I love the songwriting process with a passion, I hate the recording and production process equally. So my approach to my demos is very much in the "That will do!" vein.

It's not that I wouldn't like to have them arranged with a little more flair, but that I lack the technical knowledge and patience. I'm always in a hurry to work on the next song! And with a backlog of 200 songs and writing new material all the time, I'm always eager to finish and move on!

Probably not the best approach but I feel that, as you stated yourself, they are demos to sell the song, rather than a fully produced track for release. So hopefully I can get away with it!! But it is one of the reasons why I have started having some of my songs recorded at a professional demo studio.

As to the "Americanisation" of the vocals, I have an equal aversion to songs performed with an overly "English" phrasing. Chris de Burgh rhyming "Dance" and "Romance" is a prime example of how it can grate!!

Having said that, I don't think I "Americanise" as much as simply use a lazy English style with long vowels that I feel suit the song. My aim is to sell the songs, and as the world is attuned to that sound already,I feel I give my material more chance of success if they carry the sound that most people are already used to. But I take your point!

Re your question, everything barring the lead and backing vocals are BIAB/RB

I'm assuming you're the fella who remixed "And So It Goes" for Jan, in which case - great job sir!!

Thanks again

Martin

User Showcase
Apprentice
OP Offline
Apprentice

Thank you Noel, your very kind!

I paid a visit to your music page and enjoyed it a great deal. I really like "Amazing To Me" and I absolutely love "Dreaming 'Bout Dancing" Great song.

I wish you every success!!

Martin

User Showcase
Productor Musical
Productor Musical
Hola Martin, I enjoy your music, great work. Your voice got a very personal seal. Melodies are sweet and intense. Excellent use of Band-in-a-Box, we love that here. The first visual thing did grab my atention is your guitar, I have a Epiphone Joe Pass guitar too, I use it mainly as jazz box, very nice guitar I think, very so close to a Gibson 175. I wish you get all success you deserve.

Carlos

Gabriel Arellano,
Nucleox Music
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great stuff ya got there Mr Martin !! You are a talented singer-songwriter my friend. Congrats on the publishing of your material. Your music sounds great !!

Trax

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,461
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195