Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#84263 09/01/10 07:08 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
This is a new demo of a song we originally wrote in '91. I'm using the Bluegrass RT set and Nashville drums. Hope you enjoy it.

Willadeen

(Lyrics especially for you Ian, grin...)

Willadeen
©1991,2010 J. Beck, C. Grant All rights reserved.

Willadeen folded a piece of paper
Stuck it between the salt and pepper shaker
One last look at these old rooms
And she was out the back door on her honeymoon
All her mama could do was clean and clean
While her daddy paced the porch
He never felt so mean
Aww Willadeen

Willadeen
What you gonna do with the rest of your life
What you gonna do another poor man's wife
God willin' and the creek don't rise
What do you think you're gonna find
Willadeen

Willadeen signed her name at the lawyer
Piled three kids all they owned in a junker
One call home to say goodbye
Headin' out for the city and a brand new life
All her mama could was clean and clean
While her daddy paced the porch
He never felt so mean
Aww Willadeen

(repeat chorus)

Dreams are all that matter at seventeen
She's gonna do things mama never dreamed
Ol' grandpa drives her crazy
When he calls her Willadeen

Willadeen picked up the piece of paper
Folded between the salt and pepper shaker
In tears she reads her daughter's note
So like the lines that she once wrote
All she could do was clean and clean
Then she went and paced the porch
She never felt so mean
Aww Willadeen

Sundance #84264 09/01/10 10:55 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Josie,

You've done a great job with this song. The arrangement is excellent in my book. The fiddle really puts the icing on the cake.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Noel96 #84265 09/02/10 05:25 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Josie,
believe it or not, I knew a woman named Willadeen, and your song sounds exactly like her life! (But, that may be comparable to writing a song about a guy named Billy-Bob who got drunk and went to jail. )

I like your lyrical style... you have a way of inserting your storyline into the everyday details of life . The salt and pepper shakers become more than random items in a room; they become key players in the story.

I think your use of RB to build a song is very good. The songs sound well-composed to me, not redundant or lacking in structure. I like the way the song thins out when you sing, and the fiddle kicks in when the vocals drop out. The style suits the content.

I also liked the way your harmony added variation and texture to the song.

There were moments when I couldn't understand what you were saying... if not for having the words posted, they would have been lost to me. But, I have found that depending on the frequency of a person's voice I have trouble understanding some people, and so the problem may be mine, not yours.

All in all, another nice song for Josie!

Sundance #84266 09/02/10 03:59 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
ah gee, Josie . . . . thanks.

I really don't know where to begin with this song of yours.
If you're feeling up to it I'd like to hear the original.
I loved this version - it is so "understated" it is powerful. A wonderfully built arrangement. Not a note without a purpose or distracting from the lyrics. Even the harmony is subtle. No edginess to it. I'm betting you didn't use much in the way of compression. The lyrics are amazing - they just tug - too true to life right down to the salt and pepper shakers - that was masterful.

I'm really happy you posted that Josie. I can't see that there wouldn't be a spot on a country playlist for it.
Was it ever released before? I can't see that it wouldn't have been. Always room for traditional.

Well done. Ian

Ian
My "Original Tunes" Site
My gene pool needs more chlorine.
Ian Fraser #84267 09/02/10 05:22 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran

Josie, there is only one word that can describe this song and that is PERFECT!

Perfect vocal, harmonies, backing tracks and fiddles.

This is air play ready!

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
MarioD #84268 09/02/10 06:32 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hi Josie. I've come to expect crafty lyrics from you, and this does not dissapoint. The only thing I might take a look at is the chord structure in a few spots- namely the end of the verses. There are some spots where the timing isn't the most supportive it can be. I chalk this up to either some limitations of biab, or perhaps you're not coaxing it out of biab in the right way- which may not even be doable. But I think it's generally limitations in biab. I have noticed that it's difficult to stray too far from generic structure when using RT's. Things like syncopated timing or quick time sig changes can be difficult to make sound smooth and 'right'. Often you must go with a phrase just because it works, and let go of what you really had in mind. But this one is another good one Josie! You should be on the heels of Dolly Parton, quite frankly. I know she's an accomplished writter, but your material could give her some new life in the country scene.

Dan

Shockwave199 #84269 09/02/10 09:36 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thank you Noel. I've always enjoyed a little bluegrass so it was fun adding in that mountain music fiddle.

Sundance #84270 09/02/10 09:54 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Pat,
That was too funny. She was a girl from school that I never met but liked the way her name sounded.

I appreciate your kind words.

Sundance #84271 09/02/10 10:33 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Ian,
For compression I used the PG Dynamics Gentle Opto 2 preset. I also used the ten band eq to tame all that mid range going on and peaklimit to bring up the volume a bit. I'm still experimenting with the production side as many of us here are I think.

My co-writer was a blessing and responsible for part of the lyrics. We didn't get a cut on it - yet. grin.

Thank you for your thoughts. I'm so glad you like the song.

Sundance #84272 09/02/10 10:34 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Mario,
Consider yourself hugged. Thank you.

Sundance #84273 09/02/10 11:16 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Dan,
Maybe I've heard it too many times this way at this point but I don't hear any problems with chord structure. Altho I understand the limitations you're talking about and am by no means an expert on working out everything exactly the way I want it on every song with RT's yet, I'm overall happy with the way this one turned out. That's not to say further tweaking is out of the question. grin.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate your thoughts and kind words.

Sundance #84274 09/12/10 12:37 PM
User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Not really a genre I know much about, but I can hear a pretty tune and a compelling story here Josie. Is it me or is the track mastered very quiet?

mglinert #84275 09/19/10 07:11 AM
User Showcase
P
Apprentice
Apprentice
P
Josie,

Wonderful job - a real toe tapper. Truly liked the harmonies - and I am a real sucker for anything with fiddle.

Take Care

The Powderman
Learning something new everyday
Powderman #84276 09/19/10 08:19 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
1st of what a great name for a country song! And the arrangement and use of real tracks were right on for the lyric and general feel of the story. I also thought the harmonies were not only spot on but well placed throughout the song. On a closing note I can picture Dolly singing this tune on some TV special.

Wonderful work young lady!

Sundance #84277 09/19/10 10:22 AM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wow...Josie...you're a great songwriter! Very visual lyrics and a wonderful voice too! Very "musical" song title. Keep 'em coming!

Bob

Sundance #84278 09/22/10 05:39 AM
User Showcase
T
Journeyman
Journeyman
T
I think you have to be American (especially from the South)to write lyrics like this Brits like me aint got no chance no chance at all.In my ear I could here a slapped echo in the hook which would give it that "haunting" feel but Im a romantic at heart.Im sure Dolly Parton would do a great job with this song not saying you havent but she is a million seller and we could all do with the big bucks right! cheers Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
Sundance #84279 09/22/10 07:42 AM
User Showcase
P
Veteran
Veteran
P
Very well done! It has that down home country feel. Very well mixed. Thanks for sharing!

My Music
Read My Blog

My Tunes

Psalm 57:7 My heart, O God, is steadfast, my heart is steadfast; I will sing and make music.
PgFantastic #84280 09/23/10 08:27 PM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Marc, I'm glad you liked it, thank you for commenting. Yeah, it may be a tad quiet in comparison.
Powderman, thank you for listening, I love that fiddle too. The voicetone does a good job on the harmonies and saves me a ton of time. I've gone from a purist to a convert. LOL.
Danny C., thank you listening and for the kind words. I was thinking more of Allison Krauss than Dolly but hey....
Bob (Hawgly), I appreciate that, thank you very much.
tributeman, yep, I guess this one is pure southern fried - grin - but I sure learned a lot about songwriting from the Brits. Thanks for listening and posting.
PgFantastic, Heaven knows, I still sweat it out over the mixing but I'm learning - thank you.

Sundance #84281 09/23/10 09:15 PM
User Showcase
M
Apprentice
Apprentice
M
Great writing and a great flow. Loved the fiddle and banjo. Super harmony and superb editing. Soothing vocals Josie!
Marty

Music is what feelings sound like.

Band In A Box (current) Sonar Producer X2, Windows 7, 16 Gigs Ram, Quad Core, AMD Processor, Alesis MK2 Monitors, Roland Quad Capture Audio Interface,
Sundance #84282 09/23/10 11:33 PM
User Showcase
Journeyman
Journeyman
Josie,

I listened to this when you first posted it, and to be honest with you it didn't really do much for me at the time. However.... There was something about it that kept making me come back and listen again, and again, and again. (I've lost count now)

Whata ya know, the more I listen, the more I like it! I love it when a song does that to me. It's almost like you enjoy it a little more evey time you listen.

Anyway, thought I'd share that with ya. Oh and the bridge part after the 2nd chorus is a nice touch.

Good Job,

Greg

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,397
Posts732,530
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200