Go To
#8705 10/06/08 05:32 PM
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Has anyone tried this piano modelling software?

http://www.pianoteq.com/

There is a functional demo and the program doesn't take too much HDD space. I tried it about two years ago, and wasn't overly impressed, but am trying the latest version, and feel that it has some promise.

It should be functional with my EMU 1820, but so far haven't had any success in setting it up (the problem lies in the fact that not having used the EMU for two years, I have to re-learn it ). However, I've loaded MIDI files into Pianoteq and rendered them into WAV files, and quite like the results.

The only drawback to the demo is that it won't play eight notes (F#1, G#1, A#1, C#5, D#5, F#5, G#5, and A#5). A song in G doesn't do too badly as long as one doesn't go too close to the ends of the keyboard.

Glenn Kolot #8706 10/06/08 07:52 PM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Glenn, welcome back.

I haven't tried it - it's a physically modeled piano - so it shouldn't take up much hard drive space. I've been satisfied with my fumbly playing with the splendid soundfont.

-Scott

Glenn Kolot #8707 10/06/08 11:13 PM
Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I have it, Glenn, but I'm not sure it was a good purchase. It "feels" wonderful, absolutely responsive. It requires little disk space, it loads fast, and it doesn't demand too much from the computer. You can apparently run it on an unimpressive laptop with a tiny hard drive. You get an enormous amount of intelligent control over the tone.

But somehow the best sound I get is slightly wimpy -- although much better than the last version. They keep developing it at a fair rate, and I suspect the next version may be a wonder. It's certainly not a bad instrument now, but I have three or four huge old samples I like better, so I don't use PianoTeq as much as I optimistically expected. Unfortunately, that's not unusual after you buy a hot-shot new VI for many shekels, is it?

For my use, its convenience and ease of use do not quite compensate for the lightness of its sound.

Larry
______
allis #8708 10/07/08 08:37 PM
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Thanks Scott - it's been quite a while (got tangled up in photography - my other creative pursuit).

Allis: I agree with your assessments - it is a bit wimpy, but a fair bit better than my three year old Roland KR7 (which has a really nice keyboard feel, and models the damper pedal from zero to 127 in one step increments - something many digitals do not do). When I load a KR7 recorded midi into Pianoteq, it gets this part right. I have an EMU 1820M with Emulator X, and it's a disaster as it can't handle all the pedal control steps generated by the Roland.

And for the price and size of samples, I'm not ready for that.

A small footprint on my HDD is important as I have acquired 16,000 digital images in two years. Installed, Pianoteq takes 149 MB versus 138 MB for Powertracks 11. For HDD mercy, my favourite music software is my wave editor (Goldwave) that uses a whopping 8.81 MB.

I tried Pianoteq 2 1/2 years ago, and didn't care for it, but the present version seems a lot better - and I suspect with time it will be the way to go as it can be tailored to produce so many piano sounds.

Glenn Kolot #8709 10/08/08 08:58 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"Small footprint" (meaning small filesize) and "Grand Piano Sample" are mutually exclusive terms.

Velocity layers are where it is at IMO. This means large filesize, such as in some of the great Gigapianos (Holy Grail, Bosendorfer, etc.). Not all gigasampled piano files are created equal either, further complicating things, some sound like the layers were derived via manipulating maybe only three basic velocity layers, soft, medium, loud.

The damper pedal thang is neat, but is the least of the concerns for getting a great grand piano sound out of the PC. Know this to be true from doing double blindfold A-B comparison tests with many people who think they are blessed with the Golden All-Seeing Ear, yours truly is included. <g>

How to test the layers:

Helps to open up a VU meter so one can see the amplitude levels.

Strike a key as softly as you can and still be able to hear the sound. Repeat several times while noting the VU reading.

Now strike the same key a little harder (faster) and note the VU reading again while listening to the sound.

Repeat.

If you find only three levels of output while playing maybe six or seven levels of velocity, you know what you've got there then, a sample that is lacking in velocity layers. Not good for simulating the instrument that was named the soft-loud (pianoforte).

*Important: Don't ruch to conclusions concerning ANY piano model or sample until you have thoroughly investigated the Velocity Sends and Curves setup of your keyboard with each one! Can make a world of difference sometimes.

--Mac

Mac #8710 10/18/08 09:55 AM
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
A bit more information on piano samples/modelling software - a comparison between the Bluthner Digital Model One (BDMO) and seven others:

http://www.proaudiovault.com/bdmo-comparison.htm

There are eight samples; one must keep in mind that the BDMO sample will be "offered" in the best possible light. For example, not all samples seem to have used the same midi file - at the beginning of the Garritan Steinway sample (a major competitor), the tempo of the phrasing is quicker than that of the BDMO (and others).

The BDMO seems quite good - surprisingly it's much smaller than the other sampled pianos too.

Glenn Kolot #8711 10/19/08 06:10 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Glenn,

Pianoteq is being -> discussed at times here on this forum. Hugh Sung may give you a further -> intro

Martin
MartinB #8712 12/15/08 09:55 PM
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Update (for those like me that play solo piano):

I was quite serious about getting into sample libraries two years ago, and in the process, found this interesting site:

http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

The tests of each sample and/or digital piano was created with a short midi file (which can be downloaded from the site).

At the time, I was really impressed with the sound from some of the better ones; Synthogy Ivory and EastWest Quantum Leap Pianos.
Tonight I visited the Purgatory Creek site again, and downloaded some mp3 files and compared them with the file generated by Pianoteq from the midi file noted above (pianotest.mid). These are the ones I compared (I used my wave editor to load all seven files at once for easy comparison):
Ivory Bosendorfer
Yamaha Digital Piano Gran Touch
Bardstown Bosendorfer
EastWest QL Steinway
EastWest Bosendorfer
Native Instruments Akoustik Piano - Bechstein
pianotest1 with Pianoteq

Compared to the Pianoteq rendering, some were quite bad, and some like the Akoustik were actually wretched sounding. The vaunted Ivory Bosendorfer doesn't stack up to Pianoteq.

Earlier today, I went back to some of the library sites and downloaded samples of some classical piano so I could compare them with the same pieces I generated with midi files and Pianoteq. The selections I used were the Debussey's Arabesque and Claire de Lune, and Beethoven's Pathetique (2nd movement) and the Moonlight.

I was literally stunned at the difference between the sampled renditions and the Pianoteq ones. The selections created with the libray samples were simply not of the quality of the ones I created with Pianoteq.

Glenn Kolot #8713 12/15/08 11:09 PM
Off-Topic
N
Apprentice
Apprentice
N
I like the Pianoteq very much. It is based on physical modeling, so "Layers" and 'samples' do not apply to it, and it can do very soft passages to loud very well. Low notes and high notes also.

I also feel my MIDI keyboards don't do it justice, and so would some downloaded MIDI files, for, how were they created? With a good responsive MIDI keyboard or with a regular low-end one like mine?

NoKey #8714 12/16/08 12:22 AM
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
NoKey:

Yes, the concepts of layers, sample size have nothing to do with it. Sample have to use layers to achieve different velocity (volume), but PT generates the appropriate value for each note. What's really interesting is the ability to change the level of Sympathetic Resonance to mimic a real piano. This is the first thing I noticed when listening to the songs generated from samples - there is little if any sympathetic resonance, and the sound just falls off without the resonance of all the strings (with the dampers off).

The midi files I used for the classical pieces were from:

http://www.classicalarchives.com/

One must register to access files. There are two types of memberships:

No fee with limited access to five midi downloads per 24 hours and can't download wave/mp3 files.

A $25 per year fee with unlimited access to all files; not limited in any way.

I've also found other midi files at: http://www.vanbasco.com/midisearch.html

For classical piano, I just type in the composer's name suchas chopin or beethoven. It also works for all composers (rodgers, hammerstein, etc).

Virtually all the files have only one value for Pedal Control (controller number 64 = 127) and some have half-pedal values of 64. So from this I wouldn't think the keyboards were all that great, but it's hard to tell. My own Roland can generate all Pedal Control values from zero to 127.

While it would be nice to have multiple values for the dampers, I'm not convinced it's really necessary.

Have a listen to the Purgatory Creek recordings - they've have dozens of various digital pianos recorded, plus all the sample libraries that are available - it's quite an education to see how bad some are and how good some others are. And using the pianotest.mid file, you can test your own keyboard.

Last edited by Glenn Kolot; 12/16/08 12:32 AM.
NoKey #8715 12/16/08 09:01 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

I also feel my MIDI keyboards don't do it justice, and so would some downloaded MIDI files, for, how were they created? With a good responsive MIDI keyboard or with a regular low-end one like mine?

Likely has to do with the amount of Velocity layers your particular keyboard is able to send.

For instance, I had a Yamaha plastic MIDI keyboard that only sent Velocity in three basic layers -- if you fingered in between any of the three, there was no difference in what came out.

This is one of the things that costs more money in a good MIDI keyboard whether it features weighted hammer action keys or not, its ability to send the actual Velocity data from each key rather than an approximation thereof.

When testing or checking out a piano keyboard, try pressing a key near the center of the board at as many different dynamic levels as you can play and see if the sound coming out changes with your amount of pressure (volume). With a bit of practice one can tell if there are three basic velocity levels or whatever. It gets harder to tell when there about seven layers, and, of course, the high end keyboards that send continuous velocity, using the entire range of 0 - 127 do it the best.

Also note that a lot of MIDI keyboards have internal menu controls for the Velocity CURVE.

Often is the case that the default Velocity Curve doesn't do justice, try some of the others and narrow down the Velocity Curve settng that works best for your playing style. Finding the right Velocity Curve to match your playing style can sometimes really make a difference in the way a low end keyboard plays and sounds. For example, having your Velocity Curve or Touch set to "Light" can end up with the thing sending high value Vel to the synth, which would make every note sound like it was pounded. Turn the Velocity Touch setting down then and try again. I've noticed that the majority of keyboards come with the default setting on the light side of things, Yamahas have been that way for years, but not all of them...

--Mac

Mac #8716 12/16/08 09:35 AM
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
Mac makes a good point (although I was at first confused by the term velocity layers).

A top notch keyboard will recognize and generate all 128 velocity levels for every key on the piano.

Another method that doesn't involve listening is to record a midi file by playing on your keyboard with varying degrees of loudness as you play. The simplest would be to play several notes at loudnesses varying from ppp to fff (note that there are keyboards that will not recognize the entire range - this has been discussed on the Pianoteq forum).

With the midi file saved, load it into Powertracks, and look at the Event List. The Velocity of every note is displayed, and they shouldn't fall into discreet velocity levels.

And read Mac's entire post carefully, particularly the last few paragraphs - there is a lot of information there that is important - especially the part about the response or touch curve of your keyboard.

Incidentally, Pianoteq can be adjusted to "react" to different ranges of velocity. The lower right corner of the interface is an Equalizer/Velocity curve. The velocity range is from zero to 125 (don't know why it isn't 127). Using the mouse, the range can be adjusted to better suit your keyboard. The default line consists of three points that form a straight line, but many more points can be added, and the straight line can be modified into many different velocity response curves. The simplest of course is to maintain the linear response curve (straight line) and define the range from zero to something less than 125 (say 100).

Last edited by Glenn Kolot; 12/16/08 09:38 AM.
Glenn Kolot #8717 12/16/08 09:54 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Gary,

Awhile back I had to play at a church as a guest and didn't bring my own keyboard, because they told me that they had one of the good Yamahas there.

Got there and wasn't supposed to play until last, so I sat out in the church and listened to the other groups. Even the home church's choir/band, the piano sounded like someone banging as hard as they could the whole time. The young lady was compensating by turning the Volume fader down. But the sound of the thing was PLUNK, PLANK, PLUNK, the Volume fader just made it less apparent.

When I got to the stage, we were to go on last, the first thing I did was start punchin' those buttons on that Yammy frantically, trying to remember how to get that thing into Velocity Curve or Touch edit mode. Finally found the right menu item, no time for esoterics, I set the thing to "Hard" touch and played our part of the show.

I think Yamaha sampled that same model C once and have used it in every keyboard since then. They do have a distinctive sound that can be quite nice in a mix, but only once you get that critical Velocity Curve set to match your playing style. They come with a default that is just too light, man. And if you are using it as Controller keyboard to fire other synths, the Yammies simply send Velocity data that is too high most of the time.

When we got done, I tried to show the young lady what was up, but she was more interested in how "easy" the piano was to play than how it sounded, so I returned it back to the "Soft" setting that made it sound like Bang, Bang, Bang.

People.

Doing themselves in more often than not...

--Mac

Mac #8718 12/16/08 09:58 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Another church gig, I sat down behind the MIDI piano and our choir started the piece A Capella.

When it came time for the band to come in, I suddenly discovered that the last player of the piano was one of those "one key" players who used the MIDI Transpose to play in one key, likely C, while the notes come out in another. They got up and left the Piano like that, one would think that if they changed such a parameter that they would have the courtesy to remember to CHANGE IT BACK, so that Middle C was Middle C again.

Whoa.

Quick transpose and a good ear on my part saved the day, We were supposed to be in Eb but I ended up playing the song in Db fingering -- but those first three notes I played were in an entirely different key and the whole thing took me quite by surprise to say the least. What the... ??? That was funny. The funniest thing was Tony, the bass player, he gave me a look like you wouldn't believe when I made that bad entrance like that...

--Mac

Glenn Kolot #8719 02/19/09 08:19 PM
Off-Topic
G
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
G
An update for piano players

Version 3.0 of Pianoteq was released today:

http://www.pianoteq.com/

1. Bass "punch" greatly improved.

2. Added microphone placement - up to five mics which can be placed in any position by dragging with the mouse. Also has a Binaural setting (headphones).

If anyone has a piano MIDI file that they would like to hear done with Pianoteq (mp3) to judge the sound, I hereby volunteer. Or it can be any one of a number of classical piano compositions that I have midi files for (none of these were played by me - I found dozens on the web).

Glenn

Glenn Kolot #8720 02/20/09 10:22 AM
Off-Topic
R
Veteran
Veteran
R
Glen,

I have been sold on physically modelled keyboards for several years. I do have a modelled wurly, rhodes and B3. I don't have an acoustic piano PM based synth.

Pianoteq is on the list of 'When I win the lottery I'm gonna.....', but since I don't play the lottery, I'll probably be waiting awhile.

However, if Guido S. of GSi ever comes around to do a lower cost VSTi of an acoustic piano, I'll probably be picking it up. He does a very nice job of modeling sympathetic resonances, grit and grunge, etc. of the electromechanical boards. I'm thinking that if anyone is up to the task of it, he is.

-Scott

rockstar_not #8721 02/21/09 10:35 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Thanks for the heads up, Glenn. It's a great update!

Martin
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,614
Posts735,142
Members38,516
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 182