Page 1 of 2 1 2
#88613 10/21/10 04:53 AM
PowerTracks Pro Audio
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
I recently purchased a new computer that came with Windows 7 (64 bit) installed. BB and PT seem to operate just fine. But when I go to convert *.seq files to audio, I run into a sort of brick wall. The VSTi synth that comes with BB wouldn't install, so I couldn't do a direct conversion as before in Win XP. I attempted to follow the procedure of using my Creative Audigy card. But it appears that pci midi is not supported in Win 7, being superceded by USB MIDI, in other words, external devices. So now I am without a way to convert to an audio file so I can't use the backup arrangements unless I play from a laptop, which I can't afford. Does anyone know of software that can do the conversion? Also, I'd like to be able to use my soundfonts, since some of the instruments on the Creative sound card sound more suitable for an arcade game. Also, part of the arrangements are audio tracks. Help!

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Use the Coyote Wavetable synth, comes with recent versions of PGMusic products for just such an occasion.

That said, did you download the most recent drivers from Creative for your Audigy. The new drivers should make the PCI MIDI work, if they are available.

http://support.creative.com/kb/showarticle.aspx?sid=61105

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I've got a Creative X-Fi Gamer in a PCI slot on my Windows 7 machine and it works fine. Of course, it won't direct render (you have to "record" the track to convert to audio), but it works fine. As long as you have the appropriate Windows 7 drivers for your Audigy, it should work (make sure you download the most current soundfont bank manager.

If your "Creative instruments" sound like an arcade game, it's probably because you are using the default 2MB soundfont that comes with the card. When you install the driver package, you should also get the 4MB and 8MB soundfonts (still not great, but much better sounding than the 2MB). Or load your own soundfont.

Either way, if you are not using a DXi or VSTi soft synth, you will have to record the track to convert to audio (which you also have to do with external units).

If PowerTracks isn't seeing your card, then it sounds like a driver issue to me.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PowerTracks Pro Audio
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
The sound card works without problem, and I have indeed loaded down the most recent drivers from Creative, so that part is okay. I haven't yet done anything with installing soundfonts, waiting to resolve this issue first. My most recent purchase of PG products was BB 2009.5 as an upgrade. PT shows the card okay, but when I go to windows mixer, the MIDI choice is missing. If I go ahead and install a USB-midi driver for my Casio keyboard, would it maybe allow me to also use my card MIDI port internally? If so, problem solved - I'll just go the 'long' route and record in real time. What do you think?

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Read the Creative notes on the new driver; joystick connection does not work in Win7 and the MIDI is on that joystick adapter, right?
Looks like USB is your best choice.
"Gameport is not supported in Windows 7, Windows Vista and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition."

PowerTracks Pro Audio
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Thanks to your input, I'm re-thinking this pci midi issue, and if there is some obvious workaround. Maybe there is. I'm going to try feeding the sounds of midi playback from the card right back to the card as a stereo audio track. Probably have to be careful not to allow playback of that track during record, which would likely set off massive feedback. Might have to buffer the output/input through my mixer. By the way, thank you very much for mentioning the use of a higher order sound font. About 5 years ago, I lapsed into a very long dry spell, and am now just beginning to come back to life. At one time, I had mapped out several sound fonts, complete with printed references to find them as needed. That all evaporated into thin air, and I am going back to square one to learn it all over again. Your mention of the sound font (8m) jogged my memory. Time to reprint those tutorials! I'll let you know how things work out with the Creative sound card.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
USB MIDI should work to Casio also, if you want that option.

I like the 12 meg Chaos soundfont as a starting point. Size wise it's not too heavy, easy to install and modify.
The MIDI to the card itself should work so you can play fonts. The gameport not working often means the MIDI connections from that gameport wire assembly aren't going to work either.

Recording the sound back in as you described is how you will have to do it. The Creative cards don't 'render' like a softsynth, but they do record back in, once routed (enabled) in the Creative mixer.
No need to go out to a mixer, it is all done digitally inside the Creative mixer.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
C
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
C
Speaking of the Creative mixer; Not having the original install disk anymore, I went searching for an updated version of the mixer, and found one that seemed to install ok. However, when I try to open it, I get a dialog that says it can't see my card in/out ports. So, I have to rely on the windows mixer that gives me two output options: to speakers or digital. I'm guessing that the speaker outs are line level, since the speakers are typical powered ones (amp contained in the subwoofer). I have tried the line outs, and there's no signal there, probably because those haven't been enabled (catch 22)
Another option, one that was successful years ago, was to record to VCR. The sound quality was more than adequate for what I do.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
If the drivers can't find the outputs, you may have installed the wrong drivers.
Did they come from the Creative link I posted above? Pay close attention to the model.
Did you get the 'Audio Console' feature? In there is (suppose to be) your mixer and config for the card.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Sounds to me like Windows may have gone ahead and installed its own generic drivers for the card.

That can happen if you do not say, "No" at the "Found New Hardware" prompt when you first boot the machine with your Creative card in it.

You may have to UNinstall the card, then reboot the machine in order for Windows to do cleanup, then say No to the same prompt and then install the proper driver package from Creative for your OS.

--Mac

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
And when Mac says UNinstall the card, I think he means to physically remove it. Boot windows without the card in the machine, to cleanly remove the drivers. Then try the reinstall all over again, watching for what Mac stateed.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
L
Veteran
Veteran
L
A similar problem happened to me when I moved to XP with a previous version of the Creative Card. It took me a while to realise the problem. I had all the Audio features but no soundfonts etc.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
This thread sort of got sidetracked with everybody talking about how to get your Creative card working with midi and soundfonts. Your original question centers on the fact that the included DXi synth doesn't work for you so you can't do direct rendering. Here's the story on that. The Roland VSC Dxi is an orphan synth, Roland is not supporting it any more and it doesn't work with 64 bit Windows systems. Nothing PG can do about it. However, the Roland TTS-1 does work but it is not sold separately. It's always bundled with most versions of Cakewalk products. That's why PG now sells Cakewalks Music Creator not because you need another sequencer but because it includes the TTS-1. The other very affordable option is the Forte DXi. To me this is the best deal at $40 but a lot of people like the TTS-1 too. All you have to do with the Forte is download the demo. It's fully functional for 30 days, after that give them the $40 and they give you a register key. That avoids all this stuff about soundfonts in your hardware Creative card, you can simply play your songs and render to wav as you asked about in your original question.
I notice you're using Biab 2009.5 I believe the Coyote Wavetable option didn't get included until the 2010 version but you should be able to download it from PG if you want that. It still only uses your on board sound chip for sound and that's not very good but it is a DXi so it will do direct rendering and it's free. Note the Coyote Wavetable and the Coyote Forte DXi are two separate synths. The Forte is much better than the Wavetable.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.
PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
I don't think you can download the Coyote Wavetable. Someone asked previously and the response was you had to have BIAB 2010 or later to get it. I suspect it's a licensing issue.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
PowerTracks Pro Audio
W
W
So, I got the Cakewalk Music Creator. Now, how do I use the TTS-1 that comes with it, in Power Tracks (v. 12)? It doesn't show up as a MIDI driver in Power Tracks after I installed MC. Do I have to reboot?

Wilson

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
Did you install the TTS-1? Does it show up in Cakewalk?

If it is a DXi it has to be installed to the system, then PT will see it.
If it is a VSTi then make a blank track a MIDI track, click the little arrow on far left of track to 'Edit DXi', then in the top box scroll down to 'Install VSTi' (or close) This will open a browse window to allow you to find the .dll file for the TTS-1. Once this is done it will be in your list.

You can then set it as the default synth if desired in MIDI devices area of options-preferences.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
W
W
I had to reboot, and after I did, the TTS-1 showed up in the DXi list in the MIDI settings. Don't know if it was the rebooting, or restarting PT or if I just wasn't looking in the right place before that, but I got it working now.

Thanks for the reply, rharv!

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
It was installed, but Windows needed to reboot to get it listed from the registry. Typical.

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Journeyman
Journeyman
Hello all,

So once the TTS-1 is installed and working, can you render to WAV (audio) like the old VSC?
Need to know, I just got a Win7 machine also, running BIAB 2009 and PTPA12.

Wayne,

PowerTracks Pro Audio
Veteran
Veteran
You should .. but you probably tried it by now and know that. If all the programs are working in Win7 you should be good. Not sure how BiaB2009 works in Win7 off the top of my head.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,395
Posts732,494
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195