Go To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

<...>
Just wondering if its possible to get as good a guitar for $200 instead of paying say upwards of $2000 for one and then doing a blind test (playing from beind a curtain) for a layperson or even an intermediate guitarist, would they be able to tell the difference?

Probably not.

My LTD with the Mean 90s sounds great. I think expression trumps tone any day of the week (as long as the tone is in the ball park for the genre of music you are playing).

So why the gas? What am I getting for the $1500?

1) Light weight - 5 pounds, I'm tired of picking up and setting down an 8 pound guitar dozens of times per night (this is probably the number one factor)

2) Fishman pickup will allow me to sound acoustic

3) Vibrato (trem) bar that will work in lock, down or float and Sperzel locking tuners and a GraphTech nut that should help with the tuning stability

4) Versatility of sounds due to the pickup configuration

5) Good looks (many people listen with their eyes) - I wear black on stage, and the black guitar I'm currently playing is a bear to keep clean and doesn't show up well (it is show-biz after all)

6) Ease of playing (number 2 factor and related to item 1) - if the instrument is comfortable, it makes it easier for the musician to express himself/herself

BTW, this is the least expensive Dragonfly in the lineup. The economy comes from the satin finish and the bolt-on neck (so they say).

This seems to be the perfect guitar for the kind of music I'm doing, and unless it's involved in an unfortunate incident, it should be a gigging guitar for the rest of my life.

A workman needs good tools, but they don't necessarily have to be the best tools. I think this is a good compromise between the Jay Turser and PRS extremes.

I don't care what name is on the headstock. I'm not up there to impress other musicians. On the other hand, Parker has a reputation for excellent workmanship, and judging from my partner's PM10, that reputation is deserved.

Time will tell if I'm making the right decision or not.

Notes ♫

Last edited by Notes Norton; 11/17/10 10:59 AM.
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Quote:

Well, Bob, if you get that Gospel Fakebook ready, youknow some of us are waiting for it so we can send you some $$ That is a beeyootiful axe.

Stan

Hi Stan -- we're working on it!!!

I have 29 other fake books, surely you can find at least one other to help little Bobby get his guitar

Quote:

Bob, if I could afford it, I would probably buy them all, but alas.......

I'm not trying to be an instrument collector either, but I now have 4 horns and a Little Martin acoustic guitar. I had finally convinced myself to sell one of my trumpets but was glad I kept it because my other one had a valve problem which took a long time to fix. Sometimes we just can't part with our good friends.

stan

p.s. We took all of our 9 fake books to Office Depot and had them 3-hole punched and put in binders. This was not cheap, but they are a lot easier to handle now--especially the Broadway one.

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Guitarists, Saxophonists, Trumpeters, Pianists, whatever, we all have GAS.

I'm not overjoyed about the comb binding on the Broadway book either. A lot better than a glued in binding, but there are so many songs for that size binding. But there are a lot of great tunes in that book, from the old standards that have been jazzed up along the way to newer songs, some of which will become classics.

I have a 3 hole puncher that will do about a dozen pages at a time and I manually did one of the old "Real Books" that way. It was time consuming, but worth it.

When I was young and on the road, it wasn't common for people to have redundant instruments. The lead guitarist had an Epiphone Sheraton, the bassist a Fender P bass, I had my Selmer Mark VI tenor and the drummer had a set of Rogers drums. Later we picked up a keyboard player who had a Farfisa with Leslie at first, then a Hammond B3. We traveled the country without any spares. We didn't know anybody with spares either.

Funny how time changes.

Now I won't allow myself to not have at least one spare of everything important, and I have a few extra guitars hanging around the house.

I'm hoping the DragonFly will be my main guitar for years to come. I don't see what else I'll need, (but I won't sell my other guitars either). The only thing I will miss is the P90 sound, but if I want, I can always put a Duncan P-Rail in place of the Humbucker. But that would not be until the warranty expires or later.

I'll find out today if my local Ma and Pa music store can get one, if not, I'll go Internet shopping tomorrow.

I've obviously convinced myself to go for it.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Heh, heh.

Every new guitar is "the one for years to come."

Until the next one, anyway...

Enjoy,

--Mac

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Good luck with the guitar Notes. I know somebody who plays and has to buy expensive guitars. Its an interesting subject this.

Just wondering if its possible to get as good a guitar for $200 instead of paying say upwards of $2000 for one and then doing a blind test (playing from beind a curtain) for a layperson or even an intermediate guitarist, would they be able to tell the difference?

Well I bought a $109 SX Precision Bass that plays and sounds just as good as a real Fender for $1500. I did have to do some setup though. Shim neck back a hair, truss rod, intonation, string height. A lot of this was due to the fact I put beastly LaBella "Jameson" flats on it. I needed to get the action WAY down as the tension was killing my fingers.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Well, last week when I called the first M&P store (my favorite) and spoke to the clerk (not the owner) he simply said, "No". The second store just called and said he tried but couldn't.

I have a gig today, so tomorrow I go Internet order.

Any suggestions of a good store? (Sweetwater is out, they don't have the natural color).

Is MF good? How about GC?

Thanks,
Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Quote:

Heh, heh.

Every new guitar is "the one for years to come."

Until the next one, anyway...

Enjoy,

--Mac

Another "nasty" is innovation. My first trumpet didn't have a 3rd valve tuning slide. Now all of my horns have triggered slides. As you say Mac, these horns will last me for years to come.......or at least until the next "gotta have" or new innovation comes along. We do need to be nice though, and support Bob's many reasons to get this guitar. Hey, even I can relate to the weight factor.:).

Stan

Cornet Curmudgeon
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I've been very happy with MF.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
It's too bad my local stores can't get a Parker. I could drive to GC in West Palm Beach, but that's 60 miles away so the money won't stay in my community anyway. Plus the cost of fuel to get there and back. And there is no guarantee GC will have one in stock.

We got rained out today it's the problem with outdoor gigs. We have a deal with the yacht basin, if it rains, we don't play, and we don't get paid. It's the arrangement we agreed at the beginning. After all, they won't have any business in the rain. And it's a Thursday afternoon, so the chances of a one-nigher band getting booked every Thursday afternoon are slim to none, so in the long run we make out OK anyway. So there is some cash not going to the new axe (buy more disks <grin:wink>). Oh well.

So I guess I'll go Internet order tomorrow morning before I re-load the car.

This GAS thing shrinks the membranes in my wallet

Perhaps I should have taken up harmonica instead of guitar --- nah!

And thanks for supporting my many reasons for getting this guitar. Even my wife is agreeing (she is a guitarist too - and that's dangerous)

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
OK, pulled the trigger this morning. After doing the Musician's Friend on-line, 12 months same as cash credit card app on-line, I went to place the order. The web site didn't give me the free shipping option so I called and got a salesman. He gave me a better deal than the Internet advertised price, I added an Ultimate Support guitar stand, and the price is still less than the Internet advertised price for the guitar alone.

I'll post pictures and a review when it arrives.

Notes

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
"Pluck Your Magic Twanger Froggy" er , Notes.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

"Pluck Your Magic Twanger Froggy" er , Notes.
Wyndham

For those of you too young to know about very primitive TV show, check out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYZazW9Ja1k

Kids were easily entertained in the 50's.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Quote:

<...>
So please, if everyone would just buy one of my Band-in-a-Box disks, I could make enough money to buy this puppy and I'll be soooooo happy. ;-)

Notes ♫

I said that with the smiley face for the humor. I didn't really expect you to help me buy my new guitar. It was just fun to say. However, if anyone actually did buy a disk for to help me out, I sincerely appreciate it.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
W
Expert
Expert
W
Notes, I had forgotten that Andy Devine was the MC for that show, regression is great, maybe.
Wyndham

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Andy Devine surprised me as well. I was a little tot when that show aired, it was really pitched at my older sister's age, but I did remember the froggy puppet.

MF didn't send me a tracking number, so I suspect it won't be shipped until Monday :-(

They must be busy doing holiday things.

Too bad I couldn't find one locally, waiting after you pull the trigger makes the GAS even worse.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Correction: The guitar has been shipped. I was looking for something from Musician's Friend, instead I got something from "no reply" in my junk folder.

They shipped via USPS but USPS hasn't logged it in yet.

Notes

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm pleased for you Bob. That really is a beautiful axe.

R.

"My primary musical instrument is the personal computer."
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Thanks.

I'm hoping it serves me well for many years to come.

Notes ♫

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Congrats Notes.

Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Congrats on your purchase Notes--looking forward to the review. Are you going to post a Video??

I'd be completely happy if I had just one more guitar.
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199