Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hello all,
I lost a lot of stuff in a flood 4 years ago. A lot of books.
I have my fakebooks still, but I lost my instruction books from the 70s and 80s.

One of the books I'm looking for is "Styles For The Studio" by Leon White.
It was no big deal. I think I used it for learning scales. I went looking for it online and found only 2 or 4 copys and all starting at over $95.00!

I don't get it. Why is it so valuable?
If any guitarist who knows of this book can tell me if you can why it is such a rare item, I'd be grateful.

I still have "From Sight to Sound" which can be purchased for a normal price.

Anyone have a suggestion for a book for learning scales, please advise me. No tab though, I can't do tab.

Thank you in advance, Wayne,

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Learning to play the guitar again after 10 years is not like the old saying, "It's just like riding a bike". At least not for me. I need to practice and that means scales for me. I've got good chord books.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good book for learning scales, please advise me.
I can't do tab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Wayne,

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Wayne, the best scale book for us guitarist’s that I have found is “The Gig Bag Book Of Scales For All Guitarists”. It contains 180 scales in both tap and notation. I bought it at Barnes n Nobles for $15 USD. You may find it cheaper on the internet. This will cover any scale you will need to know and then some.

I hope this helps – MarioD

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi MarioD,
It looks like a good one. But I don't think it had caged fretboard diagrams. I'm not such a good reader.
I'm looking for something that has patterns. Like the way chord books are.
I'm still researching guitar books. But when I find something I think I'm getting The book you suggested as well. It's very reasonable.
Thanks, Wayne

Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Is this something like your're looking for?

Me, it's not about how many times you fail, it's about how many times you get back up.
Cop, that's not how field sobriety tests work.

64 bit Win 10 Pro, the latest BiaB/RB, Roland Octa-Capture audio interface, a ton of software/hardware
Off-Topic
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I had that book when I was a kid. I really wish I could find it, but it probably got lost in a move somewhere along the line.

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
I've searched a lot of guitar and Jazz forums and nobody knows what happened to Leon White Books. The only one in print is Sight To Sound, for reading music. I have that one, pretty old but great shape.

I remember going through this when I had to replace my Chord book. I had to buy a few and then send them back till I found the right one. If I only lived near a music store.

Any other scale/pattern books that helped guitarists?

Thanks, Wayne

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Anybody have Ted Greenes' "Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing" 1 or 2?

After this post, I promise I'll stop.
Wayne,

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wayne, how big a hurry are you for the books. I visit book sales and used book stores ad hoc, but my ex visits them frequently as she is a Winston Churchill and WWll historian. I would request she keep and eye out for them. My daughter had a basement flood three years ago and we are slowly replacing works of literature that were important to her. I found Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry in a used book store for $2.00!
Books can become old friends so let me know. DennisD

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice

2008 Gibson ES-339 Custom & 2010 Les Paul Traditional. Fender SCXD Amp
BIAB/RB 2015 UltraPAK + Ketron SD2
Windows 7/64 Intel i5 3550 PC, Tascam USB144MKII
Behringer X1204 Mixer
Bose Companion 3 and/or L1 II w/T1 + SM58 MIC
Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice

Behringer X1204 Mixer
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thanks for the links. I've been to those sights and they don't have the book there. But I emailed them a couple of times and asked. No reply yet but, maybe they know how I can get a copy. Maybe they will brong it out again.

I found 2 sellers and they want over $95.00 for it. That's insane.

Thanks again, Wayne

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you DennisD,

Yes if you could be on the lookout for this I'd really be grateful.
Styles For The Studio, by Leon White.
There's a picture of it here, http://tedgreenebookeditions.com/Dalezdenek/LeonWhite/StylesfortheStudio/index.html
It really shoud only be a few bucks. I really don't understand the price of the private sellers I found. $95.00
Thanks again, Wayne

p.s. I did find my Ted Greenes books :-)

Off-Topic
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yeah, that is insane. I once say a book I wanted (even in current production) that Amazon wanted $90.00, then I found it on the 'net at Warren Buffet's bookstore for online for $19.99! So keep trying... I saw also a service that would scan the book for your too since the book is n longer in production...

Behringer X1204 Mixer
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Crazy, right?
The book cost $4.95 years ago, but still, his other book, "From Sight To Sound", new, right now is only $13.30.
I'm still baffled why this book has vanished.
I'm surprised no one has scanned it and put it on the internet, like in PDF. I'd pay!
Still no reply from the Publisher, we'll see.
Wayne,

Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Well, Dale Zdenek, the publisher sent me an Email saying it would take them up to 2 years to get it back in print.
Guess I'll just keep my eyes open for it.
Wayne,

Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
The World Wide Web is *inundated* with guitar teaching aid stuff.

Websearch.

Bookmark the ones you like.

Print out the html to have some scale guides to practice with.

Most of it is free.

The patterns, the TAB, etc.

--Mac

Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
...or look in GDaddy's music closet...
"Styles For The Studio" was and still is one of my favorites.
"Three Sounds of the Triad" is another that is hard to find...by Billy Bauer a great jazz guitarist!

Yamaha...Motif ES-8, Motif Rack, CS6X
Korg...Karma,Triton Classic, PA-80, M-1+
AkaiSampler-S5000, Roland.. X5080 Rack/G-1000 Arranger
Various Guitars/Basses Amps Pedals Rec.Equip.

Plus, BIAB 2015 and Sonar Platinum 2015 Upgrade from Cakewalk's Sonar X-3
Off-Topic
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Hi GDaddy,
I asked a few people who have this book and haven't used it in30 years. Asked them what they thought of it and they said they really don't care for it. When I asked them if they would like to sell or share it somehow, they all said "Nope".
If you don't like something and don't use it anymore why not pass it on to someone who could use it?
It's not like I'm going to sell it and make money on it.

When we left NY City over 25 years ago and moved Upstate NY to a really small rural town, I went to a small local Music store and wanted to buy my Fender Jazzmaster Guitar. He wanted $300.00, so I said I'd take it. When he found out I was from the New York City he wouldn't sell it to me. He got really angry and said I was only going to bring it back to NY and sell it for a fortune. I sent someone else in the next day to buy it and got it for $250.00.

Oh also the publisher, Dale Zdenek sent me a Holiday Greeting Card. Very nice people.

Sorry, just rambling here, Wayne,

Off-Topic
Journeyman
Journeyman
Wayne, I have sent the word out to my ex and my daughters to be on the lookout for the books: Ted Greenes' "Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing" 1 or 2, Leon Whites’ “Styles For The Studio”. While I was out of town, I took a quick look in the store where I found Chord Chemistry but had no luck. We will keep looking for you, just let me know if you find it before we do, or when we can stop looking. Thanks. DennisD.

There are only 3 kinds of musicians: those that can count, and those that can't!
PC AMD A4-5300 APU 3.4 GHz, 8gb RAM, 1T HDD, Windows 10,
Reaper 4.77, BIAB2018, PTPA12, RB2018, Roland VS-880 DAW
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,394
Posts732,478
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195