Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#94627 - 12/04/10 05:26 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Mac]
Daisy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Naples, FL
Great! Thanks a lot guys. You have restored my faith.

Now I will have to focus my GAS in a different direction --(Ummm, that didn't come out quite right, did it?).

Daisy

#94628 - 12/04/10 06:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Daisy]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
Better out than in as they say. Not that you want to toot your horn, but yes!
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#94629 - 12/05/10 02:33 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Daisy]
jazzmammal Offline
Veteran

Loc: Redondo Beach, Ca.
Daisy, I also run separates like you do. I'm using an old but clean SAE receiver with a pair of Alesis Monitor One's. I think these speakers sound pretty good because in my living room I have a killer pair of Altec model 14's and my mixes done on the Monitor One's stand up pretty well on the big Altec's. The only thing is the bass response is naturally a bit less on the smaller speakers but I've learned to compensate for that. If I boost the bass a tad to sound exactly right on the Alesis's it's too much on the Altec's. But so much of this kind of thing can be the difference in the amps, the room or the speaker placement. The only way to really teach yourself is to play a mix on as many different systems as you can including inside different vehicles.

Bob

#94630 - 12/06/10 07:35 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: jazzmammal]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Steve G,

In my experience the Behringer Truth range of powered monitors' performance is in a class with speakers costing two to three times as much. Check out the specs, give them a listen, and see whether you don't agree.

The Behringer B1030Aactive monitors retail for around $200 USD and will leave some jingle in your pocket.

R.

#94631 - 12/06/10 12:29 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Ryszard]
Steve G Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Austin, Texas

Ryszard,

Thanks for the tip on the Behringer B1030 monitor speakers. It looks like they are about $200.00 each, and I was hoping to get a pair of speakers for about $300.00. Maybe it is unreasonable to find a decent pair speakers for $300.00. Or, are you thinking that one speaker is sufficient? I can see that you could use a single speaker for a reference, but not to mix in the stereo field. Any help here would be helpful as I'm just trying to feel my way in all this stuff that is pretty new to me.

Thanks, Steve

#94632 - 12/06/10 01:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Steve G]
retake Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Steve,

I do not have any experience with the krk rokit 5's but I use a pair of krk rokit 8's. I have them set up in a closet with the doors taken off which is a pretty small space and the 8's are not too bassy they sound very good. I have never had any problems out of mine. Here is a picture of part of my setup - - - -> http://www.box.net/shared/0ns2qqvunz

Steve

#94633 - 12/06/10 02:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: retake]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
You've had some good suggestions right around your price range-
BX5a's under 300, so are the rokit 8's
BX8a's just over 300.

You should find a place to give those a listen and hear if you like them.

#94634 - 12/06/10 04:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Steve G]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
I use Tapco by Mackies S-5 Active Studio Monitors. $300.00 a pair. Very good. Here's a snipet of a review:

Quote:

For overall listening and mixing however, the Tapco S5s were great monitors in my opinion. Keeping in mind that monitors can range from about $150 a pair up to $20 000+ a pair; for being what would be considered "home studio" level at around $300 - the S5s were excellent sounding monitors. Be it just casual listening or heavy production uses, you are sure to get great results from these monitors.

The new model is an MR5. Well worth looking into.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACMR5

#94635 - 12/06/10 06:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Here's the KRK Rokit RP5G2 from ZZSounds.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP5G2

I haven't heard the Tapco, but if they're anything like the Mackie monitors, they should be a good speakers.

I listened to the KRKs versus the Mackies, and to my ears, the Mackies were a bit darker, and I preferred the KRKs. So, when it came time, I bought the Rokits. Not 'real' KRKs, but I still like the sound.

I rather suspect that the Tapcos have the same relationship to the top of the line Mackies as the Rokits do to the KRKs.

I don't think either way you're going to go wrong, but if you can get to a store that has both and listen to them side by side, that's the way to do it. Make sure you take some material that you know really well for listening tests.

Gary

#94636 - 12/07/10 08:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Steve G]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:

Ryszard,

Thanks for the tip on the Behringer B1030 monitor speakers. It looks like they are about $200.00 each, and I was hoping to get a pair of speakers for about $300.00. Maybe it is unreasonable to find a decent pair speakers for $300.00. Or, are you thinking that one speaker is sufficient? I can see that you could use a single speaker for a reference, but not to mix in the stereo field. Any help here would be helpful as I'm just trying to feel my way in all this stuff that is pretty new to me.

Thanks, Steve

My apologies for not scrutinizing the deal more closely. When I bought my Truth B2031A's in 2007 they were sold as matched pairs, being calibrated to within 1.5 dB of each other. Apparently their manufacturing processes have improved to the point that they can sell them separately and still expect a good match. It didn't even occur to me that they would not be in pairs.

So, take a look at the Behringer Truth B3030A active monitors. At $165 each at GC they're a little above your price point (free shipping, though).

I stand by my statement that their performance is equal to speakers costing 2 to 3 times as much. These have larger woofs than the ones I originally recommended and *ribbon tweets* to boot!

Two of us (band members and associates who have home studios) got the B2031A. The others who got the KRK and Mackies, and paid more, were sick when they heard the difference. I'm just sayin' . . .

R.

#94637 - 12/07/10 11:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Ryszard]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
More important than the brand name:

Whatever nearfield monitors you end up with, you must get to know them and know them well.

Spend a LOT of time LISTENING to them, set up in the proper nearfield environment and at Low CONVERSATIONAL listening levels. Listen to "reference" recordings.

Reference recordings are simply those professionally made and mastered recordings that you happen to have and love and are of the same genre as you intend your own recordings to be.

Play them back through your monitors a lot. When doing other tasks at the computer, etc.

Getting to know your monitors is more important than having monitors with the super great - and often super expensive - specs. Matter of fact, today's choices available are all pretty darn good sounding, give or take, that's not the issue.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#94638 - 12/07/10 11:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Mac]
Robh Offline
Veteran

I agree with mac, my m-audios are not the best in the business by a long shot, but i listen to them every day, and i am very comfortable with them. So just pick a decent pair that is in you price range and start using them. Beagle who lurks around here also has the behringer truths, and swears by them.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#94639 - 12/07/10 11:58 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Robh]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
yep! I have the original 2031 truths, not the "A" version. love 'em! I think for the price you can't get better until you get to the $1k range.

#94640 - 12/07/10 12:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Beagle]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Told you the dog lurks!! And he comes when you call!! Woof! Good boy, sit!

#94641 - 12/07/10 01:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Robh]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
can I have a scooby snack now?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Features a Cleaned-up BB Folder

If you've used previous versions of Band-in-a-Box®, you may have noticed a lot of different files and folders within the "BB" folder for the program - after years and years of development there are up to 10,000 files for an UltraPAK! With Version 2018, we've cleaned it up - but you're not losing anything - the cleanup normally happens automatically during installation, but you can run it manually if you'd like - just select the main menu Help | Utilities | Run Cleanup routine...

Review all the new features in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.new.htm

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson

One of our just-released RealTracks Sets features the award winning harmonica player Kirk "Jelly Roll" Johnson!
RealTracks Set 283: Jelly-Roll Country Harmonica

Add his harmonica playing to your Band-in-a-Box song for that soulful feel that cannot be matched!

Learn more about "Jelly Roll" Johnson and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio page.

Beginners Forum - Exporting from Band-in-a-Box® to a .MID File

Our Forum is amazing - an online community full of helpful program users, BETA testers, endorsers, and staff!

We include a Beginners Forum, which is a great place for Band-in-a-Box beginners to visit for discussions & resources!

This week included a very active post, Exporting from Band-in-a-Box to a .MID file. Visit this post to learn more about exporting RealTracks as .MID files, and see our friendly forum users at work!

Introducing... RealTracks Artist Colin Linden!

Have you heard the newest Guitar RealTracks from Colin Linden? You can find his RealTracks with:
RealTracks Set 279: Americana: Slow Groovin' 12-8 & 16ths
RealTracks Set 280: Americana: Gritty Blues & Rockabilly Swing
RealTracks Set 287: Pop Songwriter: Acoustic Guitar
RealTracks Set 299: Rootsy Blues Guitar & Piano

Learn more about Colin and listen to demos of his RealTracks when you visit his RealTracks Artist Bio.

The Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK with 40 Unreleased RealTracks!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 49-PAK is still available, and includes 40 UNRELEASED RealTracks, Video RealTracks Set 1: Pop Ballad Band, Video RealTracks Set 2: Country TrainBeat Band, 32 MIDI SuperTracks, 108 Instrumental Studies, Artist Performance Set 8: Traditional Songs Sung by Béatrix Méthé, 40 AmpliTube Presets & 37 Associated Styles, and 52 Loops!

Add this to your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase for just $49! Purchasing an UltraPAK or Audiophile Edition? As of January 16th, the 49-PAK is included in your purchase (uncompressed RealTracks files for the Audiophile too)!

Learn more about the 49-PAK and listen to demos at http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.49pak.htm

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 For Windows Build 509 Update Available!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows customers can download this free patch update at http://www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#509

Summary of changes:
Added: The drop station has MP3 and WMAL (lossless WMA) quadrants added.
Fixed: "Drag Audio as MP3" setting in the Plugin settings did not work when dragging a file to Windows Explorer.
Fixed: "Pause Play until MIDI or key received" setting did not work if using WAS audio drivers.
Fixed: Band-in-a-Box Server was unable to communicate with BB2018.
Fixed: Choosing a drum kit file in the MIDI/Audio Driver Setup dialog would fail with error "Unable to install patch/drum map for...".
Fixed: Disabling "Include 2 bar lead-in" setting in the Render Song to Audio File dialog would cause videos to be out of sync.
Fixed: It was not possible to type the # sharp character into the chord sheet if using a French keyboard.
Fixed: Some Amplitube TGS files and styles were missing in certain installations.
Fixed: Song would stop playing at bar 8 after rendering to an audio file.
Fixed: The Practice Window songs would not load with error "This directory does not exist...".
Fixed: The Tip of the Day dialog was not displaying any tips.
Fixed: The Tuner, MIDI Monitor, and Drum Kit window were always displaying in English instead of the user's language.

Today is the LAST DAY of our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows Special!

Our Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows special ends at 11:59 PST TONIGHT!
It's your last chance to order with some amazing upgrade pricing, Bonus PAKs, discounted Xtra Styles PAKs, and Video RealTracks bundles!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows purchase options: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.packages.htm

Bonus PAKs information: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.bonuspaks_2018.htm

Video RealTracks offers: http://www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.videorealtracks.htm

Xtra Styles PAKs special pricing: http://www.pgmusic.com/xtrastyles.php?os=win

Forum Stats
26966 Members
49 Forums
49712 Topics
406981 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
michelin, ArneFau, Kare Synnes, DrPersson, kenastill

26966 Registered Users