You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#94632 - 12/06/10 01:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Steve G]
retake Offline
Apprentice

Loc: Pine Bluff, Arkansas
Steve,

I do not have any experience with the krk rokit 5's but I use a pair of krk rokit 8's. I have them set up in a closet with the doors taken off which is a pretty small space and the 8's are not too bassy they sound very good. I have never had any problems out of mine. Here is a picture of part of my setup - - - -> http://www.box.net/shared/0ns2qqvunz

Steve

#94633 - 12/06/10 02:19 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: retake]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
You've had some good suggestions right around your price range-
BX5a's under 300, so are the rokit 8's
BX8a's just over 300.

You should find a place to give those a listen and hear if you like them.

#94634 - 12/06/10 04:36 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Steve G]
bobcflatpicker Offline
Veteran

Loc: WV, USA
I use Tapco by Mackies S-5 Active Studio Monitors. $300.00 a pair. Very good. Here's a snipet of a review:

Quote:

For overall listening and mixing however, the Tapco S5s were great monitors in my opinion. Keeping in mind that monitors can range from about $150 a pair up to $20 000+ a pair; for being what would be considered "home studio" level at around $300 - the S5s were excellent sounding monitors. Be it just casual listening or heavy production uses, you are sure to get great results from these monitors.

The new model is an MR5. Well worth looking into.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--MACMR5

#94635 - 12/06/10 06:08 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: bobcflatpicker]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
Here's the KRK Rokit RP5G2 from ZZSounds.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--KRKRP5G2

I haven't heard the Tapco, but if they're anything like the Mackie monitors, they should be a good speakers.

I listened to the KRKs versus the Mackies, and to my ears, the Mackies were a bit darker, and I preferred the KRKs. So, when it came time, I bought the Rokits. Not 'real' KRKs, but I still like the sound.

I rather suspect that the Tapcos have the same relationship to the top of the line Mackies as the Rokits do to the KRKs.

I don't think either way you're going to go wrong, but if you can get to a store that has both and listen to them side by side, that's the way to do it. Make sure you take some material that you know really well for listening tests.

Gary

#94636 - 12/07/10 08:57 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Steve G]
Ryszard Offline
Veteran

Loc: Kennesaw (Atlanta) GA
Quote:

Ryszard,

Thanks for the tip on the Behringer B1030 monitor speakers. It looks like they are about $200.00 each, and I was hoping to get a pair of speakers for about $300.00. Maybe it is unreasonable to find a decent pair speakers for $300.00. Or, are you thinking that one speaker is sufficient? I can see that you could use a single speaker for a reference, but not to mix in the stereo field. Any help here would be helpful as I'm just trying to feel my way in all this stuff that is pretty new to me.

Thanks, Steve

My apologies for not scrutinizing the deal more closely. When I bought my Truth B2031A's in 2007 they were sold as matched pairs, being calibrated to within 1.5 dB of each other. Apparently their manufacturing processes have improved to the point that they can sell them separately and still expect a good match. It didn't even occur to me that they would not be in pairs.

So, take a look at the Behringer Truth B3030A active monitors. At $165 each at GC they're a little above your price point (free shipping, though).

I stand by my statement that their performance is equal to speakers costing 2 to 3 times as much. These have larger woofs than the ones I originally recommended and *ribbon tweets* to boot!

Two of us (band members and associates who have home studios) got the B2031A. The others who got the KRK and Mackies, and paid more, were sick when they heard the difference. I'm just sayin' . . .

R.

#94637 - 12/07/10 11:43 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Ryszard]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
More important than the brand name:

Whatever nearfield monitors you end up with, you must get to know them and know them well.

Spend a LOT of time LISTENING to them, set up in the proper nearfield environment and at Low CONVERSATIONAL listening levels. Listen to "reference" recordings.

Reference recordings are simply those professionally made and mastered recordings that you happen to have and love and are of the same genre as you intend your own recordings to be.

Play them back through your monitors a lot. When doing other tasks at the computer, etc.

Getting to know your monitors is more important than having monitors with the super great - and often super expensive - specs. Matter of fact, today's choices available are all pretty darn good sounding, give or take, that's not the issue.

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#94638 - 12/07/10 11:54 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Mac]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Loc: California
I agree with mac, my m-audios are not the best in the business by a long shot, but i listen to them every day, and i am very comfortable with them. So just pick a decent pair that is in you price range and start using them. Beagle who lurks around here also has the behringer truths, and swears by them.
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#94639 - 12/07/10 11:58 AM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Robh]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
yep! I have the original 2031 truths, not the "A" version. love 'em! I think for the price you can't get better until you get to the $1k range.

#94640 - 12/07/10 12:12 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Beagle]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Told you the dog lurks!! And he comes when you call!! Woof! Good boy, sit!
Toshiba dual core Win 7 8 gig ram, BiaB, Realband, Studio one Professional, Melodyne, Gibson S-1, Carvin 980 Cobalt acoustic, Ovation legend 12 string, jazz bass clone, Fender Mustang III amp, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL interface, TC Helicon voiceworks.

#94641 - 12/07/10 01:50 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Robh]
Beagle Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Fort Worth TX, USA
can I have a scooby snack now?

#94642 - 12/07/10 03:58 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Beagle]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
Since the chemo got my hearing in June no need for monitors, which I had on my wishlist. A good set of earphones and crank the treble. And the ability to take the noise level, like I was a kid at a rock concert. Oh well. I can almost walk 100 yards, and on days that don't end in y I think I can feel my feet, well apart from the sand and water that's not on them...

I guess saving that cash is a positive along with still being 'one earth'. (Instead of in it LOL).

#94643 - 12/07/10 04:11 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: John Conley]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
A couple of those monitors mentioned are powerful enough to let you pull the earphones out, as far as volume goes.
Not sure how the neighbors would be about it though.

My BX8a's have never been up past half way. If I get them to half volume I can't stand close enough to them to turn them up any more! Surprisingly loud for the rating.

#94644 - 12/07/10 06:16 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: rharv]
Robh Offline
Veteran

Yep but only one Beag cause it will spoil your dinner .......... Alpo!

Ssshhhh ..... People food give the little fella gas!

#94645 - 12/07/10 06:28 PM [Off-Topic] Re: Monitor Speakers [Re: Robh]
John Conley Offline
Veteran

Loc: London, Ontario, Canada
With my family complaining about how loud I have the tv even with hearing aids, I had to set up my former mixer so I can jack the treble and listen through headphones. See my post in Off Topic for a picture....or two.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

PG Music News
Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest - Listen to All the Entries!

Our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Contest is over, and the winners have been announced - congratulations again to forum users fiddler2007, rodipoet, Will Josef, and Ezekiel's Storm!

And, a BIG thank you to everyone who entered their songs on our contest - WOW what a great list of songs! We've arranged all the song entries into one simple list, if you'd like to listen to all the entries click here.

Congratulations Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest Winners!

Thank you again to everyone who submitted their songs to our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest - 59 entries in total!

As always, we were blown away with every song entered! We truly enjoy listening to what everyone comes up with using Band-in-a-Box!

Our judging team listened to all the songs, and choosing the winners wasn't easy... some of the things taken into consideration were the quality of the composition, Xtra styles used, use of program features within the song, and originality - and we're now ready to announce the winners!

The Winners are:

I Will Be Your Doggie Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: fiddler2007
Xtra Style used: _WILDONE
Original Forum Post

Jazz:
Wie zingt verjaagt zijn pijn (He who sings expels his pain) Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: rodipoet
Xtra Styles Used: _SILKY
Original Forum Post

MIDI:
Child of the 70s Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Will Josef
Xtra Style Used: HORIZON
Original Forum Post

Rock-Pop:
Hide it Away Listen to the song here
Artist/Forum User: Ezekiel's Storm
Xtra Style used: _CHEATED
Original Forum Post

Congratulations everyone!

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows: Making Songs

Visit Chapter 6: Making Songs in our online Band-in-a-Box 2018 for Windows User's Guide, and you'll learn (or be reminded of) all the different steps you could take for creating your own song using Band-in-a-Box®!

Learn about naming your song, choosing a key, setting the tempo, chord entry, and more! There's even information for more advanced use! Read about Song Settings (endings, tags, style variations, pushes, rests, and chord embellishments), Part Markers, Substyles, Song Form, applying Styles, using RealTrack/RealDrums, importing MIDI, and chord entry - just to name a few!

Holiday Hours - Monday, October 8th

Monday, October 8th is Canadian Thanksgiving!

Our Holiday schedule that day is:
Customer Service: 8:00AM to 4:00PM PST
Technical Support: Closed

We will be back to our regular schedule Tuesday, October 9th.

Happy National Techies Day!

Happy National Techies Day to all our program users! And, a special thanks / shout-out to all of our BETA testers - you're a big part of our Band-in-a-Box program!

Forum Stats
28066 Members
57 Forums
54389 Topics
449504 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Ozzoid, jabba, RickSC, Mallie Riecken, Tim Radel

28066 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Alyssa - PG Music 215
David Snyder 151