Print Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#95193 12/05/10 07:29 AM
Band-in-a-Box for Windows
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Would someone be kind enough to give explicit instruction on how to shrink the RealTracks.

I don't want to do anything wrong and resort to re-installing because of any misguided error I may make.

Many Thanks.

PS ....... The new 2011 is just WOW!!!!!

Mal
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
1) First make sure that you have all your Realtraks BACKED UP somewhere, like on another drive. Always back up data. You may desire to RESTORE it at some future point.

2) Inside BiaB, open the Realtracks panel by clicking on the toolbar icon, the sax with the wav graphic on it.

3) in the Realtracks control panel window will be a button, Erase +/- files. Push it. Wait.

--Mac

Mac #95195 12/05/10 08:07 AM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Many thanks Mac.

Mal
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
........... That's a hefty backup. 110 Gigs.

:-)

Mal
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
110 gigs, these days, with the low cost of external USB drives, is nothing.

Everybody in this game should have at least one large archival hard drive.

Half a terabyte is now old gear. 1.5 terabyte drives are likely the current offerings, with larger just around the corner. Price per megabyte is getting ever lower.

If you are into the music making with computer, you NEED these just to archive your own work as well.

--Mac

Mac #95198 12/05/10 09:41 AM
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes ..... I have 4 external terrabyte drives, 4 internal terrabyte drives.

Thing is, usb 2 backups are slow and I'm impatient to play with this new version.

Vsti's take up gargantuan space, so does song recording, specially if mixing at 96 kHz.

Mal

Mal
Mac #95199 12/05/10 10:00 AM
Expert
Expert
Do we really neede to shrink Realtracks? I mean I dont know the technology,

a] is it lossy?

b] For the older real tracks (those before this update, can we just leave them alone?

Veteran
Veteran
That's why you save them. At least go with the flow. I think everything sounds better, and it works faster, and it takes up way less size. Band in a Box 2011 includes the new engine, and the new Realtracks. Some of those are in sets. You can choose all new ones, double time them, stretch them, and decide before pressing the button. And you can restore. Not that difficult if you don't believe Mac who said he was a beta tester. He didn't say for what. Might be MS-Dos 1.1.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Quote:

Do we really neede to shrink Realtracks? I mean I fdont know the technology,

a] is it lossy?

b] For the older real tracks (those before this update, can we just leave them alone?

My understanding is, A) - No. Compression (hence, 'lossy') has no role here. The utility that "shrinks" existing RealTracks does not change any one file; it eliminates some of them that are now redundant because of the improved stretching algorithm. This means that some now-unneeded files are simply deleted. That's where the "shrinkage" of the total size of all RealTracks comes from.

HOWEVER - if you have an older slow machine, particularly an older laptop, you may want to keep the complete set of files. They may work better. Hence, the cautions about keeping backups if you decide to restore the files.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Now I am confused.

Before I press 'the button', what is happening? Am I deleting some of my RealTracks?

What is this 'stretching algorithm'?

I am familiar with most audio formats and how compression works.

Mal
R
Expert
Expert
R
You're not deleting any RealTracks. The 'button' deletes files that are not needed with the new stretching engine. The 'old' RealTracks had several files that were used to transpose the instrument into other keys. These are the +/- files that is referred to. There is an option in the RT settings that enables the use of these +/- files. If it is not checked, the new engine is being used. If your computer is slow, the option to use the +/- files is there.

My understanding is that using the new engine is a bit slower than the +/- route.

If you look in a RT folder, you'll see the +/- files. As stated, make sure you have a copy of your RTs before deleting the +/- files.

Here is a post I made yesterday with more info. http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...true#Post297218

Veteran
Veteran
I may be able to explain it. The stretch engine in the old version was not fast enough nor of high quality to do the stretch on the fly. Those +/- files were not separate recordings they were the original that had been statically stretched.So now what you are hearing is a far superior stretch tool doing it on the fly and at better quality instead of the program grabbing pre-stretched files.
Follow the logic.

John
ESI Gigaport HD+
Lenovo Turion II /4 Gig Ram/ Win7x64 be
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.wintertexaninfo.com/BANDS/JohnnyD.php
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Yes ........ I understand all of that.

Thank You all.

Mal :-)

Mal
P
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
P
So the new engine only uses one of the realtracks as the "master" track? The other, stretched ones are not used at all, which means you can remove them and thus reclaim some disk space.

/pete

Veteran
Veteran
There you go.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Veteran
Veteran
Yes, you are in reality deleting some of your realtracks. Only because you don't need them anymore.

This is why the suggestion to 'back them up' keeps coming up. You will likely never need them again; but if you are worried about it or if something goes wrong, it would take a while to download and start over. So back them up and reduce them afterwards. Always good to have a backup anyway.
That said, my 100 gig of realtreacks is now 30+ gig. That' a lot of savings.
If I wanted to go back and use them on a system that has BiaB2009 I would be in trouble (since it doesn't have the intelligence to use the new format). So I would need the backups.

For use on an an every day basis it is a great feature.
I don't plan on going back to 2009, but backing them up gives me that option.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
Veteran
Veteran
I need help please.

Ok, I just dl'd the new 2011 BB/RB but have not yet dl'd any new RT's. I have been running 2010 on my c drive but I have BB/RB 2010 with all my existing RT's also backed up on the usb drive they came on.

So I could go ahead and shrink my existing real tracks and see if my old computer can handle the new way right? I'm still using my Compaq Presario AMD Athlon 64 3800+ 2.41 ghz running XP sp 3.

My other question is how do I know how much cpu it's using - where do I look?

Thanks ya'll.

Veteran
Veteran
CPU usage CTL ALT DEL at the same time and watch or check the thing while pressing play after loading an all Realtracks style.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Veteran
Veteran
Josie, Peter Gannon specifically advised that users of older laptops running under Windows XP may not want to erase those +/- files. However, yes, since you have backed them up, you could try it and see if it worked. I would first take a very careful look at the files and make sure you will be able to recognize what got deleted and what therefore would need to be put back.

Veteran
Veteran
Matt,
It's a tower not a laptop - does that make any difference?

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,401
Posts732,558
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 200