Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#95213 - 12/05/10 04:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
Matt Finley Online   content
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Yes, Josie, somewhat. The laptops generally have a slower hard drive and throttled-down CPU routines, so they would be worse candidates for eliminating the +/- files.

I'm not as familiar with AMD specs; I use only Intel boards and CPUs, dating back to the days when some music programs only ran on Intel chips. Perhaps someone here like rharv can comment more on how powerful your machine may be, relatively speaking.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#95214 - 12/05/10 04:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Make a backup copy of the original Realtracks folder and then give it a try.

Works fine here, both on laptop and desktop, both older AMD II driven, running XP SP3.

The caveats are there beause there are lots of slower machines out there in the world running XP (or 2000, or...).

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#95215 - 12/05/10 04:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Mac]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Thank you Mac, Matt, and John.

Edited by Sundance (12/05/10 04:57 PM)
My Videos

#95216 - 12/05/10 05:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
Rachael Offline
Expert

In RealTrack Preferences, if the Use +/- RealTracks box is not checked, you are using the new engine. Performance will be equivalent to deleting the +/- file. If no problems, it is 'safe' to delete the +/- files.

Again, make sure you have a backup

R

#95217 - 12/05/10 05:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Rachael]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Thanks Rachael. That makes it easy to try it out.
My Videos

#95218 - 12/05/10 05:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

At times if I have "fast generation" checked I'll have dropouts. Not always. I just leave it checked and see what happens. It appears that if you get a style close to the tempo you'll have no issues of course this sort of defeats the purpose somewhat. Nice to use a 120 BPM style on an 85 BPM song.Just uncheck "fast generation"

#95219 - 12/05/10 06:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: silvertones]
Veteran

Everybody, take another look at Rachael's post, 3 above. This is an elegant and simple way to test whether you should delete the +/- files. I think that box was unchecked by default in the early versions of 2011, and has remained so. Would someone who just purchased 2011 please verify that the box comes unchecked by default?
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#95220 - 12/05/10 07:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
+1 on what Rachael posted.

like Matt says,

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#95221 - 12/05/10 09:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Good eye rachael

Edited by rharv (12/05/10 09:24 PM)

#95222 - 12/05/10 09:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: rharv]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
The Use +/- RT's was unchecked be default on my new install of BIAB 2011. I do not yet have the Real Tracks (hopefully Wednesday or Thursday, Tuesday would be awesome) but I am deleting the old +/- files away. I've recovered 57GB of space.

Now, let's see if they work.

And, yes they do work, very well, even without the new RTs.

Gary

#95223 - 12/05/10 10:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Gary Curran]
Veteran

Good, now we know for sure the checkbox is unchecked by default. Thanks, Gary. That means, if everything sounds good, one can erase the +/- files (after making a backup, to be safe).

#95224 - 12/05/10 10:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Update. So far it all works ok. I followed Rachael's advice and haven't pushed the button yet. The cpu usage meter is quite fascinating. It seems mine varies around low 40's to high 50's when playing a BB file of all realtracks with bpm at 104 and tracks that are native 120.

The odd thing is running Realband when I click on "select and generate real tracks" and the list comes up the cpu meter maxes out - but I believe this has been going on before the upgrade even tho I wasn't watching the cpu meter then.
My Videos

#95225 - 12/05/10 10:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
Veteran

I recall that Peter Gannon recommended that the CPU% stay under 60%, and if it does, then you can safely erase the +/- files.

I don't know if that means some 100% peaks are OK - your description of "maxes out" - but I doubt it.

#95226 - 12/05/10 11:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Hi Folks,
I'm pretty sure you can try the new stretch feature first. Go to the realtracks settings menu (ctrl + rt icon sax)) and tick both--use speed up generation of realtracks and --high quality tempo/pitch stretching--. Untic --use +/- Realtracks for generation --. Then open an all rt demo and generate it-noting the time it takes. then change the tempo 25 or 30 and generate again. On my machine it takes around two seconds longer on average if I don't go too far from the original tempo.

For example, I loaded Brent Mason RKMDMB2 which took about 8 seconds to start at 120, about 9 seconds at 140 and about 13 seconds at 60. These are all acceptable to me but maybe not to someone else. I'll probably use it this way for awhile and if I don't encounter anything worse than that, one of these days I'll hit the +/- button and erase all the pre-stretched files.

Later,
Jim

#95227 - 12/05/10 11:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

The odd thing is running Realband when I click on "select and generate real tracks" and the list comes up the cpu meter maxes out - but I believe this has been going on before the upgrade even tho I wasn't watching the cpu meter then.

Same here and yes, it's always done that here also. :>)

Jim

#95228 - 12/05/10 11:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Rachael]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

In RealTrack Preferences, if the Use +/- RealTracks box is not checked, you are using the new engine. Performance will be equivalent to deleting the +/- file. If no problems, it is 'safe' to delete the +/- files.

Again, make sure you have a backup

R

OOPS
Looks like I should read a little more before posting. Oh well, maybe someone can use the ctrl + click RT icon tip. (it's from help and who reads that anymore. lol)

Later,
Jim

#95229 - 12/06/10 12:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

I guess I'm dense, but with all the discussion of shrinking real tracks, it's not clear to me as to how, why, and when one needs to "shrink". For example, with hundreds of tunes playing under 2010.5, many of which use real tracks---does that mean that you need to shrink these songs/tracks before loading 2011? Or after? How many steps are involved? Can you have some tracks shrunk and other not? For those who've gotten the new upgrade, is this process explained, or does one have figure it out on their own? I was hoping that installing 2011 would do all of this automatically---for the new tracks and those already installed. I just hate clicking around the program once it's running good. Because I always screw something up.

#95230 - 12/06/10 12:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: J. Larry]
Veteran

I think all of your questions have already been answered in this thread alone, except for the question about "shrinking songs" used in 2010.5. Songs should not be affected.

#95231 - 12/06/10 05:16 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
LynB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Barton-on-Sea,Hants,UK
If you have plenty of spare Hard Drive capacity, then leave well alone. My working installation uses an internal drive dedicated to RT & RD which was becoming full. Reducing the size of the files has saved some 60 gigs of storage. So far I have experienced no problems using the program. My backup is on my PGMusic external drive which has not been changed in respect of Rt & RD files.

#95232 - 12/06/10 08:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: LynB]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I use RB for live playing but as a point of reference look at my computer specs in my signature.
I could not use BIAB to play live with this computer with the new engine and the +/- files being deleted.With "fast generation" checked playback is VERY unreliable. With it checked I'd drink too much beer while the song generates.My point is if you have a lappy and it's specs are not considerably better then mine be very careful playing live.
One option though is to freeze all your songs.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
#TBT Band-in-a-Box® 2017 Review - Software for Learning Saxophone

McGill Music Sax School posted a video review of Band-in-a-Box® 2017 for Windows last year, stating "I love using software to help learn saxophone. One of my favourite programs is Band-in-a-Box. It's a really powerful tool for quickly making backing tracks I can use for lessons, or my own practice."

Check it out! www.pgmusic.com/?vid=2AgfV7emdLQ

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac - Importing MIDI Files

Did you know that Standard MIDI files can be read in to the Melodist or Soloist track within Band-in-a-Box? You can use all of the MIDI File, or select channels or a specific range of bars, using these steps:
1. Melody | Import Melody from MIDI File to select a MIDI file from disk using the file dialog.
2. Melody | Import Melody from Clipboard - when the MIDI data is already copied from another program to the
clipboard.

A new window will open, asking for additional criteria - which channels, # of bars to offset..., # of bars to import, include lyrics, include patch changes - and more! Head to our online manual Chapter 10: Working with MIDI to learn more!

YouTube Find - Your First 15 Minutes with Band-in-a-Box

Woody Piano Shack recently got their hands on Band-in-a-Box after a long time without the program - and they're thrilled!!

Check out this video they've shared to their YouTube Channel: https://youtu.be/9dxSfwjBvG0

Thanks Woody Piano Shack!

National Dictionary Day - Guitar & Piano Chord Dictionaries

Today is National Dictionary Day!

We offer 2 dictionaries for just $19 each: the Guitar Chord Dictionary & the Piano Chord Dictionary!

Each of these programs are easy to use! Simply choose a root note, select the chord you want to learn, and the Dictionary will play and display the chord!

An Essential Tool for any Musician!

User Tip - Band-in-a-Box® to Reaper: The Basics

Forum user DeaconBlues09 has created a video to demonstrate how easy the process is for them to streamline their workflow with DAWs, particularly Reaper - check it out: click here to watch.

Join the forum discussion.

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box®

National Train Your Brain Day is October 13th!

Open your Band-in-a-Box® program, and you'll find the [Practice] button in the toolbar - it's a GREAT resource!
Minimized your toolbar? Head to Window | Practice Window or ALT SHIFT L to access

In this window, you'll find many options to help you practice, including Ear Training games, access to the Chord Builder and Chord Subs, some helpful tools within the Playalong Features menu, and more!

Train Your Brain with Band-in-a-Box® today!

Band-in-a-Box Patch Updates - #TechTuesday

Visit our Patches & Updates page, and you will see that with every version released, there are 2+ patch updates applied to that version.

Patch updates are important, and should definitely be installed to your BB folder. They can add new features, update the help resources of the program, fix bugs reported by users, and make your entire Band-in-a-Box experience run smoothly!

Band-in-a-Box update options can be adjusted within the program too - within Band-in-a-Box for Mac, head to Band-in-a-Box | Check for Updates | and then you can select to automatically check for updates by however many days you choose!

Forum Stats
28089 Members
57 Forums
54481 Topics
450586 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
Vladislav, tjohnson1800, RickyWonder, M.Raz, omicloud

28088 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Noel96 201
Matt Finley 144