Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
You need to be logged in to post on the forum
Topic Options
Index
#95213 - 12/05/10 04:44 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Loc: Hudson Valley & Lake George NY
Yes, Josie, somewhat. The laptops generally have a slower hard drive and throttled-down CPU routines, so they would be worse candidates for eliminating the +/- files.

I'm not as familiar with AMD specs; I use only Intel boards and CPUs, dating back to the days when some music programs only ran on Intel chips. Perhaps someone here like rharv can comment more on how powerful your machine may be, relatively speaking.
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#95214 - 12/05/10 04:49 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
Make a backup copy of the original Realtracks folder and then give it a try.

Works fine here, both on laptop and desktop, both older AMD II driven, running XP SP3.

The caveats are there beause there are lots of slower machines out there in the world running XP (or 2000, or...).

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#95215 - 12/05/10 04:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Mac]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Thank you Mac, Matt, and John.

Edited by Sundance (12/05/10 04:57 PM)
My Videos

#95216 - 12/05/10 05:13 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
Rachael Offline
Expert

In RealTrack Preferences, if the Use +/- RealTracks box is not checked, you are using the new engine. Performance will be equivalent to deleting the +/- file. If no problems, it is 'safe' to delete the +/- files.

Again, make sure you have a backup

R

#95217 - 12/05/10 05:36 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Rachael]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Thanks Rachael. That makes it easy to try it out.
My Videos

#95218 - 12/05/10 05:47 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

At times if I have "fast generation" checked I'll have dropouts. Not always. I just leave it checked and see what happens. It appears that if you get a style close to the tempo you'll have no issues of course this sort of defeats the purpose somewhat. Nice to use a 120 BPM style on an 85 BPM song.Just uncheck "fast generation"

#95219 - 12/05/10 06:57 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: silvertones]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Everybody, take another look at Rachael's post, 3 above. This is an elegant and simple way to test whether you should delete the +/- files. I think that box was unchecked by default in the early versions of 2011, and has remained so. Would someone who just purchased 2011 please verify that the box comes unchecked by default?
BIAB 2018 Win Audiophile; [& 2018 Mac UltraPak]. Software: Mixcraft, Adobe Audition, Ozone, Encore; Win 10 64 Pro. Hardware: custom i7, 16 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Focusrite 18i20(2), TCE Finalizer, Behringer X-Touch, Adam sub & monitors.

#95220 - 12/05/10 07:15 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
Mac Offline
Veteran

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia USA
+1 on what Rachael posted.

like Matt says,

--Mac

You must be Audiominds.
www.audiominds.com

#95221 - 12/05/10 09:22 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
rharv Offline
Veteran

Loc: Marysville, Mi. USA
Good eye rachael

Edited by rharv (12/05/10 09:24 PM)

#95222 - 12/05/10 09:45 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: rharv]
Gary Curran Offline
Veteran

Loc: Poulsbo, Wa 98370
The Use +/- RT's was unchecked be default on my new install of BIAB 2011. I do not yet have the Real Tracks (hopefully Wednesday or Thursday, Tuesday would be awesome) but I am deleting the old +/- files away. I've recovered 57GB of space.

Now, let's see if they work.

And, yes they do work, very well, even without the new RTs.

Gary

#95223 - 12/05/10 10:04 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Gary Curran]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

Good, now we know for sure the checkbox is unchecked by default. Thanks, Gary. That means, if everything sounds good, one can erase the +/- files (after making a backup, to be safe).

#95224 - 12/05/10 10:27 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
Sundance Offline
Veteran

Update. So far it all works ok. I followed Rachael's advice and haven't pushed the button yet. The cpu usage meter is quite fascinating. It seems mine varies around low 40's to high 50's when playing a BB file of all realtracks with bpm at 104 and tracks that are native 120.

The odd thing is running Realband when I click on "select and generate real tracks" and the list comes up the cpu meter maxes out - but I believe this has been going on before the upgrade even tho I wasn't watching the cpu meter then.
My Videos

#95225 - 12/05/10 10:56 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I recall that Peter Gannon recommended that the CPU% stay under 60%, and if it does, then you can safely erase the +/- files.

I don't know if that means some 100% peaks are OK - your description of "maxes out" - but I doubt it.

#95226 - 12/05/10 11:06 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Hi Folks,
I'm pretty sure you can try the new stretch feature first. Go to the realtracks settings menu (ctrl + rt icon sax)) and tick both--use speed up generation of realtracks and --high quality tempo/pitch stretching--. Untic --use +/- Realtracks for generation --. Then open an all rt demo and generate it-noting the time it takes. then change the tempo 25 or 30 and generate again. On my machine it takes around two seconds longer on average if I don't go too far from the original tempo.

For example, I loaded Brent Mason RKMDMB2 which took about 8 seconds to start at 120, about 9 seconds at 140 and about 13 seconds at 60. These are all acceptable to me but maybe not to someone else. I'll probably use it this way for awhile and if I don't encounter anything worse than that, one of these days I'll hit the +/- button and erase all the pre-stretched files.

Later,
Jim

#95227 - 12/05/10 11:09 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

The odd thing is running Realband when I click on "select and generate real tracks" and the list comes up the cpu meter maxes out - but I believe this has been going on before the upgrade even tho I wasn't watching the cpu meter then.

Same here and yes, it's always done that here also. :>)

Jim

#95228 - 12/05/10 11:17 PM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Rachael]
jim111 Offline
Journeyman

Quote:

In RealTrack Preferences, if the Use +/- RealTracks box is not checked, you are using the new engine. Performance will be equivalent to deleting the +/- file. If no problems, it is 'safe' to delete the +/- files.

Again, make sure you have a backup

R

OOPS
Looks like I should read a little more before posting. Oh well, maybe someone can use the ctrl + click RT icon tip. (it's from help and who reads that anymore. lol)

Later,
Jim

#95229 - 12/06/10 12:15 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Sundance]
J. Larry Offline
Journeyman

I guess I'm dense, but with all the discussion of shrinking real tracks, it's not clear to me as to how, why, and when one needs to "shrink". For example, with hundreds of tunes playing under 2010.5, many of which use real tracks---does that mean that you need to shrink these songs/tracks before loading 2011? Or after? How many steps are involved? Can you have some tracks shrunk and other not? For those who've gotten the new upgrade, is this process explained, or does one have figure it out on their own? I was hoping that installing 2011 would do all of this automatically---for the new tracks and those already installed. I just hate clicking around the program once it's running good. Because I always screw something up.

#95230 - 12/06/10 12:48 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: J. Larry]
Matt Finley Offline
Veteran

I think all of your questions have already been answered in this thread alone, except for the question about "shrinking songs" used in 2010.5. Songs should not be affected.

#95231 - 12/06/10 05:16 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: Matt Finley]
LynB Offline
Veteran

Loc: Barton-on-Sea,Hants,UK
If you have plenty of spare Hard Drive capacity, then leave well alone. My working installation uses an internal drive dedicated to RT & RD which was becoming full. Reducing the size of the files has saved some 60 gigs of storage. So far I have experienced no problems using the program. My backup is on my PGMusic external drive which has not been changed in respect of Rt & RD files.

#95232 - 12/06/10 08:02 AM [Band-in-a-Box for Windows] Re: Shrinking RealTracks [Re: LynB]
silvertones Offline
Veteran

I use RB for live playing but as a point of reference look at my computer specs in my signature.
I could not use BIAB to play live with this computer with the new engine and the +/- files being deleted.With "fast generation" checked playback is VERY unreliable. With it checked I'd drink too much beer while the song generates.My point is if you have a lappy and it's specs are not considerably better then mine be very careful playing live.
One option though is to freeze all your songs.
15.6" Monitor
"The only Band is a Real Band"
www.Wintertexaninfo.com/Bands/JohnnyD.php

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

PG Music News
Video - Audio Driver Setup Tutorial for Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows

Watch this video for a quick tutorial on setting up your audio drivers in Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Windows! Video link: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=t0_CHbjWrLA

Video - Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial

Our latest video release is our Band-in-a-Box®: Count-in & Metronome Tutorial! By default, Band-in-a-Box® has a two bar count-in. Watch this tutorial for a quick explanation of all the options available within this feature! Click here to watch...

#TipTuesday - Adding Motion and Dynamics to your String Tracks

Join our forum, and you'll be surrounded by some AMAZING Band-in-a-Box users! Like DeaconBlues09, who recenty shared their own "Tip" to our Tips & Tricks forum - check it out! Post: Adding motion and dynamics to your string tracks

Thanks for sharing, DeaconBlues09!

Band-in-a-Box 2018® pour Mac - French Release!

Nous avons été très occupés à travailler sur Band-in-a-Box® durant l'année 2017, celà s'est traduit par la création de plus de 50 nouvelles fonctionnalités ainsi que l'apport d'une incroyable collection de nouveaux contenus, à savoir: des RealTracks, des SuperTracks MIDI, des Études d'Instruments, des Boucles, des Prestations d'Artistes, des Préréglages Amplitube et styles associés, des RealTracks dans les 12 tonalités et une Notation Guitare Hi-Q!

http://www.bandinabox.com/bb.php?os=mac&lang=fr

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 für Mac - German release!

Wir waren fleißig und haben über 50 neue Funktionen und eine erstaunliche Sammlung von neuen Inhalten, mit RealTracks, MIDI SuperTracks, Instrumental Studien, Loops (Schleifen), Künstler Performances, Amplitube Presets und dazugehörenden Styles, 12-Tonarten RealTracks und Hi-Q Gitarren Notation, hinzugefügt!

www.bandinabox.com/bb.new.php?os=mac&lang=de

Video - Activating Band-in-a-Box® for Mac®

Band-in-a-Box® 2018 for Mac® comes with your own unique activation code that you must add to the program within 30 days. Not sure how? Watch this quick video: http://www.pgmusic.com/?vid=RI1rK19uXIs

Write a Song with Xtra Styles PAK 5 for a Chance to WIN!

You could WIN $150 PG Bucks when you enter our Xtra Styles PAK 5 Song Contest!

All you need to do is add Xtra Styles PAK 5 to your Band-in-a-Box® 2018 library (on sale for just $29 until August 31st!), write a song using one if the 160+ professionally mixed styles included, and submit it to our Xtra Styles Contest! Songs submissions are accepted until September 30th - with the 4 winners being announced in early October!

Click here for complete contest rules and information.

Learn more about Xtra Styles PAKs: Windows | Mac

Forum Stats
27835 Members
51 Forums
53021 Topics
440088 Posts

Max Online: 2434 @ 11/14/17 12:37 AM
Newest Members
iyana, mfandrich, Lefaff, alleas23, BIGALTX

27834 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Al-David 152