Page 1 of 2 1 2
#95277 12/05/10 01:33 PM
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
on my yamaha PSR-620 keyboard there is a church type organ called 16 + 2.Ive tried to find out (even from yamaha)what kind of organ this is but no luck.So can anyone here help me on this Cheers Frankie

AMD Athlon 7550 dual core
processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Samson Resolv NF monitors
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Fender semi accoustic guitar
tributeman #95278 12/05/10 02:21 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I assume that the 16 is referring to a 16 foot stop, or contabass probably flute.

The 2 is a 2 foot long pipe, for a flute sound. If you listen to the patch you should be hearing a high pitch sound and a low bass sound. I'd assume with the 2 it's a set of flute stops, sometimes called flute celeste on some ograns, stopped diapason, or flute bordon.

It's possible it's a string stop but I don't think that's likely.

Playing any organ properly without a large room is impossible without a pedal and some big time sustain. The notes should go out and die in a taper, like a good horn player playing whole notes, like long carrots, not bricks, or as one of my teachers says bullets not bricks on 1/4 notes.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #95279 12/05/10 02:23 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Unless you are doing jazz b3 or some other thing. I was talking above about church organs.

I was once organist for 8 different organizations. I'm down to 2 now, and show up when I can.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #95280 12/05/10 02:55 PM
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
thanks for the reply John Christmas card on the way.Its a church/chapel sound and is perfect for a song Im writing.I looked at the organs on biab but there was nothing like it and not being a very good keyboard player it now looks as if I might have to get someone in.Cheers Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
tributeman #95281 12/05/10 02:57 PM
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
just played it and it does have that high pitched and low bass sound.Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
tributeman #95282 12/05/10 03:42 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
"16 + 2" is likely the term used for a common jazz b3 tonewheel organ setting.

Which is the 16' rank at full along with the 2' rank at full, ala Jimmy Smith's opening registration in his famous "Mack the Knife" rendition.

In this youtube, taken from a tv show back in the day, Jimmy is "kind of" using the 16+2 on the noodling, adding more of the upper harmonic drawbars to the mix to get that "chewing" kind of needly sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yfkX8AIU5A

Great for the octaves-with-notes-in-between onehand "noodling" as we call it.

It is sometimes used along with a bit of the 4' as well, to taste. Of course, the famous Hammond Chorus provided by the scanner circuit, makes for a dramatic and animated sound. Leslie on full stop when doing this.

I doubt it has anything to do with pipe organ registrations at all.

--Mac

Mac #95283 12/05/10 03:51 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Well my organ downtown in the 'loft' has a 16/2 setting says Flute Celeste, and all the numbers correspond to pipe organ settings, but I have a cousin with a Phd organ major might clarify for me, if I can find her, she travels...

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #95284 12/05/10 04:04 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
From a list of stops of one famous organ:

# 4 Flute ranks, 16'-2', 16'-2', 8', 8'
Reuter Opus #822

Now if you can't tell a B3 and a Pipe Organ apart, yer deafer than John.

Anyway, he says it sounds like a church organ, in these parts there were Hammond organs in churches, but I never saw a B3.

The loft Organ I used to play every Christmas before they cancelled the thing had a full set of pedals and an octave and a half keyboard at the bottom to a set of chimes with the longest being 8 feet. They sat beside the organ, and I played them a few times and everyone got very excited. The organ broke and I took in a keyboard and the wife had the flute and we played for a memorial service for the Head Masonic Canuck and I played the chimes on the keyboard and everyone was sure I had played
that big organ. Hilarious.

John Conley
Musica est vita
Mac #95285 12/05/10 04:11 PM
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
Mac,Its definately a church/chapel organ sound eg "Precious Lord" by Elvis Presley take a listen.Cheers Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
John Conley #95286 12/05/10 05:10 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Now if you can't tell a B3 and a Pipe Organ apart, yer deafer than John.

In 1937, Laurens Hammond was taken to court by the US Federal Trade Commission. brought about by various members of the pipe organ mfrs and community, and an investigation, complete with federal judge, was launched into whether or not he would be allowed to continue to call his invention an "organ."

This investigation went on for about a year before Laurens Hammond proposed that a blind test between his instrument and a real pipe organ be used to solve the problem.

A live comparison with the E.M. Skinner pipe organ at Chicago's Rockefeller Memorial Chapel was allowed, with a panel of judges that included leading well known pipe organists. conductors and music authorities, some PhDs were in that bunch, John.

Hammond put one of his electric organs inside the same chapel, powered by several of his own Tone Cabinets - no Leslie speaker, Laurens did not like the Leslie speaker, believe it or not.

Long story short, the distinguished panel of musicologists were unable to identify the Hammond organ over the Skinner pipe organ. Matter of fact, the results were all over the place.

The "experts" could not tell the Hammond from the Pipe Organ.

Hammond won the right to call the instrument an organ, However, it was also stipulated at the same time tht he could not claim "an infinite number of tones" in advertising, as only 253 million combinations are actually possible.

1937 The model E, designed to be used in churches, is introduced. It is the first Hammond with a full 32-note pedalboard, built according to American Guild of Organists.

Of course, pride and prejudice still live in the hearts of many, facts have nothing to do with it...

--Mac

sources:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/HISTORY+OF+THE+HAMMOND.-a0200786721

http://chsmedia.org/media/fa/fa/M-H/HamOrg-inv.htm

tributeman #95287 12/05/10 05:13 PM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
Quote:

Mac,Its definately a church/chapel organ sound eg "Precious Lord" by Elvis Presley take a listen.Cheers Frankie

Cool.

As John has pointed out, there is also a pipe registration of that name.

It is quite likely that the B3 world adopted the same terminology for those two drawbars pulled.

The brown 16' and the White 2' drawbars are both sinewaves and thus Flutes in pipe organese.

--Mac

Mac #95288 12/05/10 05:47 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
The manual for the PSR in question states Church ORGAN 16' 2'

Every Pipe Organ, going back centuries, uses this as a description for the pipes of those lengths.

The midi numbers say 33 If I remember, (I just glanced at it). I need not look at the stops on the Grand organs of the world.

E. Power Biggs, the Englishman responsible for the revival of classical organ building in the USA, championed organs of the type in use when the pieces were written, but no doubt in some minds Bach's Four Great Toccatas & Fugues were composed first by a resident of some colony and played best on a 'Hammond' Organ, for it sounds the same as the organ in the Basillica Notre Dame, or the one in Notre Dame de Paris, that grand organ with some 7000 pipes is a mere facade of the one's build by Hammond Organ. Zut Alors.

I do have some great Bach done on period organs, but it's odd, there's not an American organ amongst them.

I'm sure when Yamaha says "DrawBar Organ" in the earlier positions, it is due to the fact that they cannot call it a B3. I guess some enterprising soul should buy up Hammonds and install them throughout France and Germany, for if they sound the same, those folks could pretend those pipes work and save a bundle in refurbishment costs.

Now to dig out Mr. E Power Biggs and get the wife off the opera CD's for a few hours.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #95289 12/05/10 06:09 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Frankie,
I thought I posted something here, but it doesn't seem to have shown up. I thought the PSR-620 was equipped with Digital Drawbars, but it doesn't have them.

I also was looking on ebay for the UK, and I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KORG-i3-/150526764445?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Keyboard_RL&hash=item230c18259d

This is the original Korg i3, or Interactive Arranger, the granddaddy of my PA80 and PA800 arranger keyboards. If you can get this, this will be leaps and bounds above your PSR-620. The sounds and backing tracks were really, really good for it's day. In fact, this keyboard really took the concept of 'Arranger' keyboards upscale, to the level of almost pro, and a lot of pros did do composing on them.

If you can afford it, or are near the area, I would take a considerable look at getting this.

If you have some funds laying around and want to invest in a better keyboard, you might look at the Korg PA50. This is the slightly smaller brother to the Korg PA80, and does not have digital drawbars, but is a great keyboard.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-PA50SD-Professi...=item3f05730f8a

All the songs on this page, down to where it says PA800, were created on the PA80, which has the exact same sound set as the PA50, except the drawbars.

http://www.catsmeowcafe.com/musicwork.html

Personally, I would just about kill to get this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/KORG-PA2XPRO-KEYBOAR...=item3cb31b688a

Oh, by the way, can you tell I like Korg?

http://cgi.ebay.com/KORG-PA1X-Workstatio...=item255f64a0a8

The forerunner to the PA800, and smaller version of the PA1X-Pro. A great keyboard, and a good price, since it was over $2,000US.

I had this as my first keyboard

http://cgi.ebay.com/Korg-ix300-Interacti...=item3f0583c68e

The iX300 was the step up from the i3, used the same sounds as the M1 keyboard and was a great sounding keyboard.

Anyway, I'll stop bombarding you with new keyboards. However, I do want to say that any of those keyboards will be a step up from your PSR-620 as far as sound goes, and they're all good keyboards. The PSR-620 was a top keyboard in it's day, but as you can see, for not a whole lot of money, you can move upstream some.

Gary

I'm blessed watching God do what He does best. I've had a few rough years, and I'm still not back to where I want to be, but I'm on the way and things are looking far better now than what they were!
Gary Curran #95290 12/05/10 06:41 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Does it use 720k diskettes? Mine is state of the ark an has that function. Works well, but it's such a pain to do. Mp3 player replaced it.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #95291 12/06/10 04:47 AM
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
gary Im not a keyboard player and only bought the keyboard about 10 years ago for its accompianment.i have held a few chords to give background to my songs but I was hoping this organ would have been in biab but it wasnt.

hehehe! Its great to see 2 "monsters of rock" Mac & John locking horns on this I never thought a small organ would bring about such a debate.Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
tributeman #95292 12/06/10 05:27 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I'm no rocker. I've played organs for a long time, but prefer keyboards. I did once make a bit of a trip to Montreal to hear my cousin play a huge pipe organ, and spent the weekend there and during Saturday sat beside her while she finished her preparations. She had a priest who played Bach do some pieces and we stood in the nave and listened. It was amazing to see 2 coffins in the place, the bodies in coffins hoisted about 30 feet in the air and a big mirror was over the face, flowers cascading upwards towards the corpses. Someone played that organ almost all day, the families of the deceased came and went, and there were masses at 9 12 3 6 and 9 Every Day. Heck I lived in many small parishes in Quebec and the catholic churches had Mass at 9 and 12 every day in the late '60's and early '70's and .

Like a lot of subjects I didn't take, it's the books. For example I never took philosophy, but I have all the major texts, and a bookshelf full of what I thought mattered, and am prepared to discuss existentialism in literature from the perspective of Albert Camus, in French if you wish. I'm sure I can hold my own with most 3 year Philosophy majors. I cannot however hold my own with my 36 year old son who should have his Phd in a few months, I learned that he had honed his skills to a fine edge, and he can read and understand a 300 page textbook in a few hours. The key is understand, they he start pulling out quotes. The best I can do is read the book in a day and I need to fish for things, I remember them but not verbatim. Oh well.

I have some books here on the major organs of the world, one with a description of stops, and they are now useless because you can get as good or better on the net.

My wife and I are going to London and Paris in the spring, and there are 3 organs I'd like to hear. I have but 3 weeks. Although 3 members of my family were wounded in the 2 World Wars, I've never been to the battlefields, and that's on the agenda. And the Musee D'Orsay, for the impressionists. I insist on Aix-en Provence, (its an art thing).

You won't get much rock from John. Bach, Mozart, Strauss, Verdi, Elgar.....and many others fill my day

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #95293 12/06/10 05:40 AM
Off-Topic
M
Mac Offline
Veteran
Veteran
M
I'm more of a Jazzer who was raised and educated with the Classical background.

The Rock & R&B experience more or less just happened.

There were these paying gigs...

Then came an era of studio work in which I got to excercise every genre and had to quickly learn to cover a few others as well.

Oh, the sheer larceny of it all.

--Mac

John Conley #95294 12/06/10 06:34 AM
Off-Topic
T
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
T
"'m no rocker"
Yeah I knew that John it was tongue in cheek.. also it sounded better than Monsters of pipe/jazz organ playing.Frankie

processor 2.51 ghz
1 87 gb ram
windows 7 Ultimate
yamaha rev 500 effects
tacam DP-24 DAW
Yamaha PSR-620 Keyboard
Mac #95295 12/06/10 07:09 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Frankie, I'm in London (the other one across the pond) for Easter. Westminster Abby for Easter Sunday?

On the Monday we are taking the train to Glasgow and then the adventure of renting a car and driving to Islay.

This music has a permanent place on my piano, if I start to play it the wife unpacks the flute and I have to try and figure out someway to stay off the melody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-_DA1c1EhQ&feature=related

Note in the open position you can see the 2' pipes.....LOL.

John Conley
Musica est vita
John Conley #95296 12/06/10 07:10 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
and did those feet, in ancient times, .....G O A L.....

LOL

John Conley
Musica est vita
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,620
Posts735,182
Members38,517
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
maxrob61, TonyInManchester, jslynbrrs01, amdwilsns01, Juan Jose
38,516 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 185