Print Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Joe -PG Music
Hi Janice & Bud! Great work on this, fantastic vocals and song. Very soothing! Well done always a fan of your songs! smile

Thanks Joe. We very much appreciate you and your company.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Imagine a young child stomping his feet on the playground saying "NO FAIR! THEY GOT ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE ON ONE TEAM!"...ok, that's an impressive line-up of talent going into this song. And go figure, it's a great song!

Now for what I felt was excited to share. Sometimes things line up in ways you couldn't explain...

My family and I were at my parents house to get together for a family reunion. Several of my cousins were there that I haven't seen in 10-30 years! It was truly a blessed time for me.

There was a gentleman there that I had met before, but was too young to remember. He sort of remembered me, but it had been so long. He wasn't a relative, which is a long story. Anyway, it was his 85th birthday! He was truly fascinating to talk to. He spoke for a while about his ancestors and tracing his lineage.

He was proud to tell me a few stories of his great-grandfather fighting in the civil war. He was speaking of what it must have been like at that time. He was so amazed by how that must have been. I mentioned to him I didn't know it was his birthday but may have an impromptu present for him.

I played this song for him! Timing! How does it work out SO well at times?

He read the lyrics and listen to the song several times. He was enthralled with it. He asked where I got it and how old it was. He was completely surprised to hear it was something recent as it seemed to capture to much of the feeling of that time. He knew it wasn't from then obviously, but said it feels like it could be.

So...you made an 85 year old's birthday!

On a personal note, I loved the song as well! There is just something to it. I could start thinking about it and figure out all the "why's" but I want to sit out on this one, and just enjoy it for being a great song.

Thanks for the share and the ability to share it!

Chad (Hope that makes it easier)

TEMPO TANTRUM: What a lead singer has when they can't stay in time.
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Greg Johnson
WOW!!! Beautifully done! So well put together. So interesting to think of what it must have been like. You guys put together a very compelling story. Mix/production are absolutely wonderful. Great contribution from the forum A-team. Awesome!! Take care. Greg

Thanks Greg. Glad you found the story compelling as we're sure it was lived out many, many times.

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HiroshiK
Janice & Bud,

Great work!. This song is related to the American history which is something hard to understand for a Japanese, but the music itself is the common language for us and so is understandable smile

Good vocals and nice arrangement. Everything is beautifully balanced.
I enjoyed it very much.

Hiroshi

Thank you very much. We feel that the sadness of young men so often carrying the burden of warfare is likely universal. Glad you liked the mix and the arrangement. We appreciate your support.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: dcuny
I love the first line of the song, and how it manages to do so much in such a small number of words. "mamma" indicates the writer is young; "i take my pen" is formal, archaic phrase.

Another thing that caught my ear was the interesting rhythms - it's very melodic, but the phrasing feels very natural.

Super job.

Thanks. We're pleased you noticed the archaic structure - that comes from reading many CW period letters. "I take my pen in hand" was common also. Thanks also for mentioning the rhythm- Tom really helped with that. We appreciate your thoughtful remarks.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Pat Marr
Beautiful as your songs always are, but also thought provoking. In this day of televised wars, complete with logos and carefully framed wide angle shots to maximize the shock and awe, it's worth being reminded that most wars are fought by people who are barely adults.

Nice job on the whole package, everybody who participated did an outstanding job!

I also liked the video.

Thanks Pat. Yep, fought by the young and ordered so by adults whom for some occasions should know better. Glad you liked it!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: RnAM
Janice, Bud, Floyd, Tom,

We don't say this very often, but this really has an epic feeling to it.
The songs atmosphere is very strong, also because of the video, which was beautifully created!
The musical arrangement, backing vocals and of course Janice's lead vocal are gorgeous.
Tom, we didn't immediately notice you guitar playing, thought they were RTs wink
that must be a compliment, we think!

Rob and Anne-Marie

We very, very much appreciate your kind remarks. Given the scope of your audio and video productions for you to use the word epic is a bit overwhelming. Our love of history, the area where we live and our g-g-grandparents involvement in this war gave it a personal note for us. Thank you for mentioning the atmosphere we attempted to create. And Tom and floyd's contributions were very significant.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Scott C
That is just awesome story telling. Delivery was just beautiful. The violin and banjo were very cool. Just got lost in the vocal and lyric. I had so much empathy for the person in the song. Super collaboration....

Thanks Scott. Empathy was exactly what we hoped to evoke.

J&B

Originally Posted By: Elliott Kayne
Wow! Great song, lyric, vocal and most of all production quality.

Thank you!

J&B

Originally Posted By: fgrittner
Impossible to add anything already expressed. Excellent.
Fred

Thanks Fred!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Torrey Bliss
J&B and Floyd, this one is great!! The vocals were flawless and effectively conveyed the emotional subject matter. Perfect choices for instrumentation. Floyd's participation was a wise choice, he really complimented Janice's voice. Thanks, Torrey

We appreciate your comments Torrey. We know how much attention you pay to vocals in your productions so it is very meaningful for you to mention them. Thanks!

Bud

User Showcase
PG Music Staff
PG Music Staff
Thanks so much for sharing, Janice & Budd smile You absolutely nailed this one. Everything's already been said - but I just had to let you know! This is the kind of music you don't just listen to, but feel in your soul. Its somber, vulnerable, gentle, and incredibly beautiful. It is immediately recognizable that this comes from a sincere place.

Great, great, GREAT job on this. I truly can't give it enough praise! Keep up the amazing work!

Cheers,
Deryk
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: floyd jane
It is truly amazing the quality of music that we are presented here on the PG forum. Such a small group of people posting songs. And such AMAZING songs. Both writing skills and production skills.

THIS is (as Tom has already said) one of THE best ever presented. Thanks for letting me be a small part of it.

Excellent write.
Excellent production.
Excellent mix.
Excellent vocal.
Excellent video.

Not a "hair out of place".

Stunning.

Thank you for perhaps the best review we've ever had! It is much appreciated. And so is your harmony and the tips on how to mix the four harmony tracks. W/o those contributions the production would have not have had vocal qualities that many folks have mentioned.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: F.M.M.
hi Janice and bud holy smokes guys this was outstanding the write the vocals and backing vocals were awesome thanks for sharing eric

Thanks Eric!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Guitarhacker
This is the first song I've listened to in my new studio.

Nice write. Well done.

Thanks Herb. Glad we participated in the debut smile

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
I remember this song. So moving. Liked it the first time out and the new production really shines!

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
J&B,

Late on this one. Very nicely done.

Regards,

Bob

Thanks Bob. Glad you liked it and we appreciate you listening.

J&B

Originally Posted By: animarorecords
Hello, Janice, Bud, Floyd and Tom

Very beautiful song.
What a stunning production.
Janice's vocal is very emotional.
The song for a young soldier is one of the traditional genres of American folk songs.
I have a little tears after all every time I listen to such songs.
Very enjoyable listen.

Best regards.

Shigeki Adachi

Shigeki, thank you for the thoughtful and touching review. It means a lot to us.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Tommyc
WOW!!! Incredible!!!!!

Originally Posted By: Muzic Trax
It's been awhile since I've heard someone who has the same tone and sound as Karen Carpenter !!! Vocal was amazing.

Love her voice. Thanks for sharing.

Trax

Thanks y'all. We all very much appreciate your time to listen and comment.

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: HearToLearn
Imagine a young child stomping his feet on the playground saying "NO FAIR! THEY GOT ALL THE GOOD PEOPLE ON ONE TEAM!"...ok, that's an impressive line-up of talent going into this song. And go figure, it's a great song!

Now for what I felt was excited to share. Sometimes things line up in ways you couldn't explain...

My family and I were at my parents house to get together for a family reunion. Several of my cousins were there that I haven't seen in 10-30 years! It was truly a blessed time for me.

There was a gentleman there that I had met before, but was too young to remember. He sort of remembered me, but it had been so long. He wasn't a relative, which is a long story. Anyway, it was his 85th birthday! He was truly fascinating to talk to. He spoke for a while about his ancestors and tracing his lineage.

He was proud to tell me a few stories of his great-grandfather fighting in the civil war. He was speaking of what it must have been like at that time. He was so amazed by how that must have been. I mentioned to him I didn't know it was his birthday but may have an impromptu present for him.

I played this song for him! Timing! How does it work out SO well at times?

He read the lyrics and listen to the song several times. He was enthralled with it. He asked where I got it and how old it was. He was completely surprised to hear it was something recent as it seemed to capture to much of the feeling of that time. He knew it wasn't from then obviously, but said it feels like it could be.

So...you made an 85 year old's birthday!

On a personal note, I loved the song as well! There is just something to it. I could start thinking about it and figure out all the "why's" but I want to sit out on this one, and just enjoy it for being a great song.

Thanks for the share and the ability to share it!

Wow, thank you for sharing that! It reminds me of conversations that I often have with Janice's 96 year old mother.
All we can say is that his reaction alone makes the whole production worth while. We are touched and deeply appreciative. If you get a chance please tell him how much it meant to us. And you could mention that my g-g-grandfather died on a battlefield only 18 miles from our home.

Thanks again!!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Deryk - PG Music
Thanks so much for sharing, Janice & Budd smile You absolutely nailed this one. Everything's already been said - but I just had to let you know! This is the kind of music you don't just listen to, but feel in your soul. Its somber, vulnerable, gentle, and incredibly beautiful. It is immediately recognizable that this comes from a sincere place.

Great, great, GREAT job on this. I truly can't give it enough praise! Keep up the amazing work!

Deryk, it's always great to hear from PG Music folks. Your description of the tune eloquently states what we were hoping to achieve. Thank you for saying that and, yes, it indeed comes from a sincere place. It was written after much contemplation and study of Civil War battlefields on of which my g-g-grandfather died on. It is wonderful that you felt that. We most appreciate your comments!

J&B

Originally Posted By: Sundance
I remember this song. So moving. Liked it the first time out and the new production really shines!

Thanks Josie! Glad you liked the new version.

J&B

User Showcase
Expert
Expert
Wow! This is a wonderful song. I love the lyrics and melody. Janice' vocals here have a brilliant flow, fluid, warm and at ease.

The production compliments an already strong write and performance.

And the video, well it's heartbreaking.

A pleasure to listen to.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,398
Posts732,546
Members38,442
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199