Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#445116 12/14/17 09:24 AM
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
I wrote this some time back and never developed it past the original skeleton. Rog and I worked on it the last week or so and with his backing guitar and vocals and GREAT engineering he turned it into the song I meant for it to be.

It's called Things That Go Together.

Quite pleased with the final result. He's a very good engineer!

I am using the new 1040XTRAEZ form this year. It has just 2 lines.

1. How much did you make in 2023?
2. Send it to us.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Eddie And ROG !

What a superb tune !
I love everything
about it ! Has a BB-vibe
too !:))

Merry X-mas and Happy New Year
to both of you !

Cheers
Dani

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Sounds great guys! The steel solo was perfect and the vocals and BG vocals were really good. I dug the vintage vibe of the drums. A great listen, Tom

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Very cool collaboration. Super vocal. Excellent backtrack and harmonies. Steel solo was very cool.

Scott Collingwood
https://soundcloud.com/scottt709
https://soundcloud.com/spiritlevel-ca
https://www.youtube.com/@SpiritLevel-ge3hm/
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
hi eddie and rog great peace here love this a keeper for sure thanks for sharing p.s. pro tools are fine when you have a attention span of a pea brain you want something simple it fits me the hobbist thanks for sharing eric

AMD (TM) 5950 4.9 GHz 16Core Processor 64 bit 32 bits of ram windows 10 pro 64 bit os. sound card Antelope ZenQ guitars Ibanez 2202a 1968 les Paul Custom and Cavin ae 185 Guitar boss Gt-100,GT1000 pedal Yamaha HS8 studio monitors
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: tommyad
Sounds great guys! The steel solo was perfect and the vocals and BG vocals were really good. I dug the vintage vibe of the drums. A great listen, Tom

+1 to Tom's comment. A nice vintage sound all 'round...

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

Hey Eddie,

This is a lot of fun! Great production sound, too.

Merry Christmas!

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran

We're gonna pile on too with what Tom said. Steel sounded like it was played just for this production and like fj said "nice vintage sound all around."

Y'all oughta do this more often!

J&B

User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud
Steel sounded like it was played just for this production and like fj said "nice vintage sound all around."

That steel solo... oy. I must have created 14-16 solos for that and listened phrase by phrase and pasted it together at LEAST 30 times to get the phrases I wanted to make it cohesive. Then I sent that clip to my friend Al who plays pedal steel and asked "Could you play this? Is this human sounding to the point where it is believable that a human played it?" His reply was "Yes it is believable, but THIS human couldn't play it. Whoever did it for you is WAY beyond me." Then I explained it was a computer, which led to him coming over and spending 3 hours playing with Real Band, after which he ordered a copy right from my computer. Which led to me going to his house a week later and showing him how to use it. LOL!!

On this particular song, all that is human is that persistent guitar lick through the intro and the guitar fills Rog added. And of course the vocals.

You have NO idea how hard it was to come up with that many things that go together that had the right amount of syllables so the prosody worked out. There were more, like horse and buggy, champagne and caviar... they just didn't fit the flow rhythmically. Those lyrics were reworked at least a dozen times, probably closer to 15-16. And in the last phrase, the "scrambled eggs and bacon" was added a full month after I put it away initially.

Bottom line though, Rog twirling the dials made it zing. I don't know if he has better effects or just knows how to use them better. I tend to go with the latter. We can take the same tracks and his version shines and mine doesn't.

2. Send it to us.
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Hi ROG & Eddie,

Yeah ... Really cool! Sounds like 1964 rolling through again. Nothin' wrong with that!

It's a terrific song and the production is top shelf all the way. You two did a super collab on this. Great listen ... thanks!

Alan

BIAB 2024 Ultra Plus-all StylePaks*Win11*16GB DDR5*Rhyzen 9745x*AT 2035 Mic*Peavey Nashville 112 Amp*Ibanez ART120* Acoustic/Electric/Washburn D200S Acoustic*Stromberg Monterey Jazz Guitar

Loops: https://aldavidmusic.wixsite.com/bestmusicloops

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Cool lyrics that had me guessing about what the matchups would be. Really well arranged and produced.
Very entertaining collaboration.

Robert

User Showcase
ROG Offline
Veteran
Veteran
Hey, thanks to everyone for the positive comments and to Eddie for giving me credit for the mix.

There's no secret to how I mix - I just compress everything to within an inch of it's life at the tracking stage and then the mix sort of falls into place. It's how we used to work on tape, back in the day, but it still seems to work.

It's great working with Eddie - he always knows exactly what he wants, but at the same time he's receptive to, and open-minded about, suggestions. Can't ask for more than that.

Cheers all,

ROG.

User Showcase
B
Expert
Expert
B
Dear "eddie1261"...

Unfortunately, I didn't make it through "Things That Go Together" in one sitting because listening to it made me very, very hungry:

"...peaches and cream..."
"...corned beef and cabbage..."
"...nachos and salsa..."
"...whiskey and ginger ale..."
"...apple pie and ice cream..."
"...honey, lemon and tea..."
"...french fries and ketchup..."
"...p.b and jelly..."
"...biscuits and gravy..."
"...scrambled eggs and bacon..."

It was too much for me. My stomach began growling and I had to interrupt my listening to your song to go and see what there was to eat in my refrigerator. When I had finished eating and was licking my fingers and brushing food crumbs off my lap, I came back to the User's Forum to finish hearing "Things That Go Together".

The sound of your singing voice is pleasingly masculine, assertive but soothing, a storyteller's voice. The production is bright and tight with the drums being particularly crisp and percussive. Altogether, the driving, steady rhythm, the guitar-dreamy music and the clever lyrics traveled along together well, like a couple on vacation, which, ironically, the song suggests didn't happen.

Oh, well! Food's a good companion when you've got the blues...

Going for dessert,

LOREN

"Music is what feelings sound like."-- borrowed from a Cakewalk Music Creator forum member, "Mamabear".
User Showcase
Veteran
OP Online Content
Veteran
Originally Posted By: bluage
Altogether, the driving, steady rhythm, the guitar-dreamy music and the clever lyrics traveled along together well, like a couple on vacation, which, ironically, the song suggests didn't happen.

That didn't make it into the lyrics because, equally as ironically, 3 wives and 4 live-in girlfriends later I have yet to experience a pleasant couples vacation. I had one ruin Florida, another ruin New England, another ruin Italy and Paris.... I remember thinking during that whole Paris trip, "This would be SO much fun if I was here with somebody nicer".

Your reply and synopsis made me smile out loud. Many things have been said about my voice over the years. Masculine yet soothing has never been one of them. I appreciate the comments. ROG gets the nod for the engineering. It didn't sound when it went over to England like it did when it came back to Ohio. Your comments are very much appreciated.

Funny thing. As I was writing it over a month or so, I gained 45 pounds..... testing out the pairings!

Last edited by eddie1261; 12/18/17 09:58 AM.

2. Send it to us.
User Showcase
G
Veteran
Veteran
G
Originally Posted By: Janice & Bud

We're gonna pile on too with what Tom said. Steel sounded like it was played just for this production and like fj said "nice vintage sound all around."

Y'all oughta do this more often!

J&B

There's always room for one more! Very cool!! ROG puts together some of the most BIG and 3-dimentional mixes. Sounds great!! Take care. Greg

User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Great collaboration, Eddie and Rog. Really enjoyed that and it was very toe tapping.

John

Laptop-HP Omen I7 Win11Pro 32GB 2x2TB, 1x4TB SSD
Desktop-ASUS-I7 Win10Pro 32GB 2x1.5TB, 2x2TB, 1x4TB SATA

BB2024/UMC404HD/Casios/Cakewalk/Reaper/Studio One/MixBus/Notion/Finale/Dorico/Noteworthy/NI/Halion/IK

http://www.sus4chord.com
User Showcase
Veteran
Veteran
Credit to both of you. Great tune. Rob

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,587
Posts734,741
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Krystal Mcclain, Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex
38,500 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 191