Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
#461295 03/09/18 05:01 AM
Post your own Tips and Tricks here
OP Offline
I'm working up some Biab Backing tracks and would like some tips on playback for performance. I travel with my job and cannot work up a band

Veteran
Veteran
To get the best answers you need to provide more information about your performances. Do you perform from a fixed set list or do you respond to customer requests? Do you sing, dance, perform drama, play an instrument? Do you use a PA set, mixer, both?

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
Expert
Expert
I did this for years and some fairly general points.

As you are using BIAB you are probably generating songs in advance so you need some way of choosing and playing back on demand.

I have only just upgraded to BIAB 2018 from 2008 so all our stuff used to be midi only. It was easier to create in BIAB and edit in PowerTracks. We used a yamaha file player and a roland sc7 sound module fed straight into the PA. Both probably available on ebay or you could use a laptop with a soft synth like the edirol hypercanvas installed and play from PT or BIAB with the sound from the headphone socket going to the PA. BIAB - unless you freeze tracks generates the song every time you play it so if you want the same arrangement every time we found midi files created in BIAB then transferred to PT was the best way to go.

That was in the days of midi but these days BIAB sounds great with RealTracks that mean your sound is audio not midi. Save the BIAB track to an mp3 format and you can play it live. If you have a laptop save all the files to a single directory and then play with the default music player - again with a lead from the headphone socket to the PA. It's easy to select songs (the files will be in alphabetical order) and you have a modicum of volume control on the laptop (assuming it's close to the mic stand) without turning round to the PA. Obviously the same applies if you are using a mixer.

A much smaller 'rig' is an Ipod touch connected the same way. Trouble is when you play one mp3 the next file starts automatically which is a pain playing live. I asked the forum and the best way to solve that problem is 'one set list per song' which is a faff to set up but works fine on stage. Even the oldest Ipod touch will do and it's better to have a dedicated Ipod than the one you use every day. Ebay has used ones cheap.

I played in a duo so we could harmonise but solo, technology can help you. If you are a guitarist you plug your guitar and mic cables into a Harmony Singer 2 pedal which then has outputs for the mic and guitar signals. The pedal listens to the guitar chords and adds a suitable harmony to your voice.

Of course if you are using mp3s then you can record the harmony part in BIAB, RB or PT and sing along live with your own voice behind you. And don't forget BIAB now has oohs and aahs you can use as backing.

Hope that helps

Journeyman
Journeyman
I do a lot of solo shows. I don't use BIAB for cover songs but I do use it for my originals. I've found the easiest way to play tracks for me is to export my tracks as a .wav or .mp3 file and play them in iTunes. I have a playlist of all my backing tracks and I can drag and drop them into whatever order I want to do. It's also easy to navigate using the space bar to play and pause, and the right arrow key to advance to the next song.

Samuel Davis Jr
BIAB 2018 + Cubase + Ignite
BMI

www.sammycountry.com
L
Expert
Expert
L
Hi Samuel. What do you use for covers? Music minus 1 or midi?

Windows 10 Home 20H2 Build 19042.487
BIAB 2021 (Build 818)
Intel(R) Core(TM), i3-4160, CPU @3.60 GHz RAM 16 GB, 64 Bit X64-based processor
Zoom UAC-2 (USB 3 interface-built in midi)
VoiceLive 3 Extreme, Sputnik Valve Condenser Mic
Journeyman
Journeyman
I've performed with biab backing tracks a few times
I play instrumental guitar (jazz, blues, rock, bluegrass, country)over biab arrangements.
Mostly covers, a few of my own.

I try to limit the biab backing tracks to bass,& drums.
Sometimes I add a chording instruments (keyboard, guitar, accordion) but usually cut the volume on those. I don't want too much backing if you know what I mean.

Most of the time I can get a decent arrangement with just biab.
Sometimes I use real band. Infrequently I use Apple Logic Pro X
I'll admit the endings sometimes are a bit abrupt. I could do better.

But at this point I'm just trying to get 50-100 tunes I can play melodies for and a chorus or two of solo.

I store all the wav's and mp3's on an Ipad for performance.
I use SoundCue on the ipad to map out the set and play the wav/mp3's. Its a good piece of software for performing.

Be sure to set the ipad/iphone in airplane mode before performing.

I pass the ipad/iphone speaker output through a whirlwind pcdi box and xlr cable to the board/pa.

Guitar goes to a Fender Vibrolux or Fender Mustang GT100.

I just purchased the bose s1 pro PA so I'm going to try to give that a whirl in the next gig or two just for the tracks.

Anyway, very interested in hearing how others handle it

biab2023(Mac)
Logic Pro X
F
F
Showplay is a great program for playing live. Used it for years with my solo/duo set up. never had a problem.

M
M
If I'm using BIAB live, I generally export the audio from BIAB in a few mixes. I play keys, so I always mute the keys. I generate an audio file with drums+guitar, drums+bass, drums+guitar+bass so if I'm doing a duet with a bassist or guitarist or doing a solo gig, I have choices. I then use a program called Anytune (I have desktop and iPad versions) and create markers (intro, verse, chorus, ending etc.) within Anytune. This allows me to seamlessly jump to/loop any section in real time on the fly (very nice for when I or a guest soloist wants to solo for more than a chorus). I tried BIAB Conductor but couldn't get it to work well and reliably with RealTracks.

Because the audio exports from BIAB are the same but just mixed differently, the markers I create for one mix can be used for all mixes so I only have to do it once which saves time of course. With Anytune, I can see all the sections as the audio file plays through, I can also add lyrics to view and I can control it through MIDI using a pedal board like my Roland FC-300 or switches/buttons on my keyboard. I have found it a good companion to BIAB. I really would prefer to just use just BIAB iOS app for all of this so I don't have to do any of these extra steps, but currently the iOS apps are not as functional as Anytune although they are great for controlling BIAB remotely (Windows only though).

Veteran
Veteran
It's unfortunate Anytune is available exclusively on Apple products as your description of how you use the program is impressive.

Jim Fogle - 2024 BiaB (1109) RB (Build 3) Ultra+ PAK
Cakewalk - Zoom MRS-8 recorder
Desktop: i7 Win 10 build 2004, 12GB ram 256GB SSD, 4 TB HDD
Laptop: i3 64bit Win 10 build 21H2, 8GB ram 500GB HDD
Music at: https://fogle622.wix.com/fogle622-audio-home
M
M
Yeah, I agree. They "say" Anytune is coming to Windows and Android, but who knows when or if that will be. I actually own/use BIAB for Windows as well as Mac (started on Windows way back along with Sonar etc. but past 5 years have migrated a lot over to Mac) so whichever provides the functionality I need I'm fortunate to have that flexibility but I am probably in the minority. Many of my friends are on one platform or the other (mostly Windows/Android) so it's at least nice that I could recommend BIAB to all of them.

R
Veteran
Veteran
R
I have maybe 100 song (covers) I can and have done with RB they are midi file that have been updated with RTs and Rds. I have maybe 20 songs in BiaB I have made more recently. I have used them as well.

However with cover songs I have started to work with an iPad app called Jamzone. You have to purchase the songs but they are not ridiculous in price I have collected around 110 so far new ones come out each week and they are pretty good kind of a multi track karaoke file you can change pitch, and turn off any track you want it also scrolls the lyrics and chords. I bought an iPad holder for my mike stand so I can reach it to start songs. The developer is active and response to suggestions. I ask for set folders and he added it pretty quickly.

For my sound I bluetooth the iPad to my Gemini tower (picture Bose tower for a better price) and plug my guitar and mic into the tower by cables. Pretty slick setup.

Last edited by RobH; 02/09/19 02:51 AM.

Lenovo Win 10 16 gig ram, Mac mini with 16 gig of ram, BiaB 2022, Realband, Harrison Mixbus 32c version 9.1324, Melodyne 5 editor, Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL, Presonus control app, Komplete 49 key controller.
B
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
B
How the L1 working out? It’s got great reviews and I’m thinking of buying one.
Thanks, Bud

Expert
Expert
I've traveled the cycle, steel scott, starting with a Fender amp with on board midi synthesizer, a Yamaha keyboard with (then) amazing accompaniment options, and working through several developments. SONY Acid Studio did a good job making backups. I used Ipod, Walkman, and Macbook with Garage Band. Band in the Box, around year 2000, was a game changer. Now, I appreciate the flexibility of the portable digital multi track, and use it for shows and home recording. The most seen are Tascam, Zoom, and Boss. DAW users would never go back to these devices, and for good reasons. The graphic interfaces are lifelike and I assume run by touch. If I were to start another phase, it would probably be with tablet. Still, I think every performer ought to treat himself to a small portable. The caveat is that if you are blowing it into a Marshall stack by way of an effects pack, the guitar in on the portable digital recorder might not be the thing.
Again, it comes back to the issue of music tastes and how they evolve.

Link: www.soundcloud.com/ed_shaw (Feel Free to Use)
https://drooble.com/edward.shaw/hymn/index.htm
Biab for WIN 2020 -- Win 10 64bit -- Reaper/Audacity
Zoom R-16 -- Tascam DP-03-SD -- SoundTap -- Crescendo --
Expert
Expert
I do several shows a month using BIAB backing tracks. I export the tracks, mix and master in Reaper. I convert to MP3 (why I don’t know). I then send the finished song to my laptop (a 2 in 1 but I prefer laptop mode). I have all my songs 80+ setup in Songbook which makes everything easy.

In Songbook I setup a show list (10 to 20) songs mainly to avoid the what’ll I do next problem. I have a Presonus USB audio interface connected to the laptop (also a USB to MIDI cable).

On stage I plug my guitar into the Presonus which has the output into a small PA. I use TH3 as my Amp Sim. I also have a Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot controller setup to control the TH3. The FCB1010 looks after my guitar volume, delay, reverb, wah, tremolo and distortion.

Everything is prebalanced so it is just a matter of plugging up, setting the overall volume and playing.

Doing the show I simply flip through the songs in Songbook which displays my words and chords (I’m getting old and forgetful), I start the song click to start the MP3 and all is timed to synch up. Whilst I may have a show laid out however if for whatever reason I want a song not in the show list I can still simply select the song from the overall list.

It all really works out very simple.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Happy Easter! Holiday Hours...

2024 is well underway - it's already Easter Weekend!

Our Customer Service hours this weekend are:

Friday, March 29: 8-4
Saturday, March 30: 8-4
Sunday, March 31: closed

Regular hours resume Monday, April 1st - no joke!

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,400
Posts732,555
Members38,443
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
danielsk, Mark Morgan, zagrajbarke, Ernest J, Izzy
38,442 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 199