Next Thread
Print Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
eddie1261 #463076 03/20/18 03:12 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
I always check the mix in mono before panning, and at low volume. If it works that way, it will work when separated.

And no, I don't want a subwoofer, too much to schlep.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks
Notes Norton #463090 03/20/18 04:22 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton
I always check the mix in mono before panning, and at low volume. If it works that way, it will work when separated.

Suit yourself. We found it beneficial.

Regards,

Bob

rharv #463110 03/20/18 05:42 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Originally Posted By: rharv
by definition MONO means everything is centered

I always defined mono as "the same thing coming from both sides". So you can still pan instruments, just not route them to discrete left and right on the main mix. Like an interface has a switch to go from mono to stereo so if you have an instrument plugged into the left you can switch it and hear it in both ears..... That is really splitting hairs vis a vis this thread topic, but it is there just the same.

So I THINK (dangerous when I do that) I know what he means by a mono send of a stereo mix.

I smashed the hell out of my car today. When the cops came I told him "Officer, that guy was BOTH texting and drinking a beer." The cop said "Sir, he has every right to do that. I mean, it's HIS living room..."
eddie1261 #463206 03/20/18 12:26 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
I used Reaper which has a mono button on the master. For example, I have bass and drums in the middle, a piano 20% either left or right the two guitars on 70% right one about 70% left. All sounds fine in stereo then push the mono button sound becomes much thinner. Swap the sides of the guitars or maybe move the piano the overall mono sound becomes more solid. When going back to stereo the various parts seem to have better definition and I feel I have most of what I want in mono.

I do this as sometimes I use other people's PA equipment when performing and I could lose one side of the mix or the gear is mono.

How Reaper treats the mono I am unclear about.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
eddie1261 #463227 03/20/18 01:49 PM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
A slight change in a stereo mix can be noticed in MONO afterwards, .. I think I see what you are saying now.
Mainly caused by the perceived volume/EQ in the end result more than the 'panning'. Reverb and such would come into play to.
(note panning is Subject of this Topic)
Guess I didn't follow the flow of the thread. Now I see you are A/B comparing stereo to MONO, which is different than what I thought I read.

An earlier post sounded like there was 'stereo mixing' going on using a MONO signal, which is indeed what threw me. That made no sense.
/missed it by that much

Last edited by rharv; 03/20/18 02:07 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome
rharv #463232 03/20/18 02:10 PM
Off-Topic
Expert
Expert
Rharv, it is most likely the way I put it.

Tony

HP i7-4770 16GB 1TB SSD, Win 10 Home,
Focusrite 2i2 3rd Gen, Launchkey 61, Maton CW80, Telecaster, Ovation Elite TX, Yamaha Pacifica 612
BB 2022(912) RB 2022(2), CakeWalk, Reaper 6, Audacity, Melodyne 5 Editor, Izotope Music Production Suite 4.1
90 dB #463370 03/21/18 10:58 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted By: 90 dB
Originally Posted By: Notes Norton

Suit yourself. We found it beneficial.

Regards,

Bob

I used to carry one, it was big, heavy, and I could pump bass like a DJ, but I mostly play to an elderly crowd, one that does not want the boom boom of a disco. My E-V ZXL15P speakers pump out plenty of bass, and enough for the audience I am pitching my wares to. I've had a house gig for 10 years, and have been playing for others 20 years or more a few times per year. Last week I had one day off, this week two - all one-nighters. I don't need to schlep a sub. YMMV

Insights and incites by Notes

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
eddie1261 #463439 03/21/18 03:45 PM
Off-Topic
J
Journeyman
Journeyman
J
Regarding “too much to schlep” my grandson’s Boy Scout group had a live 5 piece band at it’s fundraiser dinner this weekend. After they finished playing they were rolling cords and hauling equipment for an hour! I don’t miss those days at all.
The most I bring now is a Fender 150 Passport and at 35-40 pounds that is enough for me as far as sound reinforcement and weight. Of course at the age of 76 I am often the youngest person in the room at my performances.
I create all of my BIAB songs in stereo because the 150 is stereo and I can fine tune the sound to the room.

eddie1261 #463521 03/22/18 02:34 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Veteran
It takes Leilani and I about an hour to set up. I thought about an all-in-one PA set like a Passport but it won't work for our situation.

The PA fits in a 10 space rack with a mixer, BBE Sonic Maximizer (makes a BIG difference), 4 sound modules (for our synths), and an FX unit. Plus two E-V ZLX-15P speakers @ 38 lbs each.

The instruments are two guitars, one Tactile Midi Controller, one Percussion Controller, one Tenor sax, one Flute and two Wind Midi Controllers.

Plus 3 laptop computers (we only need two, but one is up and running as a fail-safe 'the gig must go on' spare).

There are two of us to schlep so the work is cut in half - and 'they' say that weight bearing exercise is good for people 'our age'. wink

I could lighten the load by not taking as many instruments, but then gigging wouldn't be as much fun. I like playing the guitar, sax, wind synth, and flute. Sometimes I wish I brought a keyboard or my bass (ain't gonna happen).

And to get back on topic, 'panning' center (running in mono) is essential. Often we play dinner sets before the dance sets, running at about 65db (A weighted, slow response) and with the speakers set wide, a guest sitting on either edge of the room would not be able to hear one of the channels.

I decided this a long time ago while sitting in a pizza restaurant in a shopping center. They used those ceiling speakers for their background music. We sat at the front of the restaurant and could only hear one channel. I missed some of the parts of the songs I was familiar with that were panned to the back of the restaurant. OK I'm weird, I actually listen to the background music, but I figure there are other weirdos out there.

Sometimes we'll play parties and put one speaker in the clubhouse and another out the door by the pool.

In many odd rooms that we play, I might have to turn one channel down because of the close proximity to an audience member, and the other speaker near the dance floor.

Mono makes my life easier, and for a balanced sound for the audience, whether they are in the sweet spot or the peripherals.

Now if I was mixing for someone listening with earbuds or at home on a stereo system, I'd pan in stereo.

Insights and incites by Notes

Notes Norton #463531 03/22/18 03:31 AM
Off-Topic
Veteran
Online Content
Veteran
Quote:
OK I'm weird, I actually listen to the background music, but I figure there are other weirdos out there.
I must be one of them. Don't laugh. I'm guilty of listening to elevator music. I actually enjoy a lot of it. I think about the skill of the musicians, the recording studio, who composed it, the sound engineer, how it was produced. So I'm guilty, because I listen to this stuff also. Despite what others might think about background music, I don't think that makes 'real musicians' viewpoints on background music too weird at all wink .

BIAB & RB2024 Win.(Audiophile), Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Izotope Prod.Bundle, Roland RD-1000, Synthogy Ivory, Kontakt, Focusrite 18i20, KetronSD2, NS40M Monitors, Pioneer Active Monitors, AKG K271 Studio H'phones
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Video: Volume Automation in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created a video to help you learn more about the Volume Automation options in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows.

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Volume Automation

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#volume-automation

Video: Audio Input Monitoring with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®

We've created this short video to explain Audio Input Monitoring within Band-in-a-Box® 2024, and included some tips & troubleshooting details too!

Band-in-a-Box® 2024: Audio Input Monitoring

3:17: Tips
5:10: Troubleshooting

www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024full/chapter11.htm#audio-input-monitoring

Video: Enhanced Melodists in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows®!

We've enhanced the Melodists feature included in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows!

Access the Melodist feature by pressing F7 in the program to open the new MultiPicker Library and locate the [Melodist] tab.

You can now generate a melody on any track in the program - very handy! Plus, you select how much of the melody you want generated - specify a range, or apply it to the whole track.

See the Melodist in action with our video, Band-in-a-Box® 2024: The Melodist Window.

Learn even more about the enhancements to the Melodist feature in Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/manuals/bbw2024upgrade/chapter3.htm#enhanced-melodist

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

New with the DAW Plugin Version 6.0, released with Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows: the Reaper® Panel!

This new panel offers built-in specific support for the Reaper® DAW API allowing direct transfer of Band-in-a-Box® files to/from Reaper® tracks!

When you run the Plugin from Reaper®, there is a panel to set the following options:
-BB Track(s) to send: This allows you to select the Plugin tracks that will be sent Reaper.
-Destination Reaper Track: This lets you select the destination Reaper track to receive media content from the Plugin.
-At Bar: You can select a bar in Reaper where the Plugin tracks should be placed.
-Start Below Selected Track: This allows you to place the Plugin tracks below the destination Reaper track.
-Overwrite Reaper Track: You can overwrite previous content on the destination Reaper track.
-Move to Project Folder: With this option, you can move the Plugin tracks to the Reaper project folder.
-Send Reaper Instructions Enable this option to send the Reaper Instructions instead of rendering audio tracks, which is faster.
-Render Audio & Instructions: Enable this option to generate audio files and the Reaper instructions.
-Send Tracks After Generating: This allows the Plugin to automatically send tracks to Reaper after generating.
-Send Audio for MIDI Track: Enable this option to send rendered audio for MIDI tracks.
-Send RealCharts with Audio: If this option is enabled, Enable this option to send RealCharts with audio.

Check out this video highlighting the new Reaper®-specific features: Band-in-a-Box® DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Specifically for Reaper®

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 DAW Plugin Version 6: New Features Video

The new Band-in-a-Box VST DAW Plugin Verion 6 adds over 20 new features!

Watch the new features video to learn more: Video: Band-in-a-Box® 2024 - DAW Plugin Version 6 New Features

We also list these new features at www.pgmusic.com/bbwin.plugin.htm.

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,390
Posts732,456
Members38,441
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Ernest J, ingridguerci94, Izzy, BenChaz, Csofi
38,440 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 195