Print Thread
Go To
#473367 05/18/18 04:57 AM
Beginners Forum
M
Marlin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I had BIAB about 20 years ago and have just come back to it with BIAB 2017 - Wow! it got a whole lot more complex over those years.

Some Newbie questions if I may, even if you just point me to the correct tutorial.

I want to step edit adding a melody. I've found I can draw notes onto the piano roll, but this is going to take forever ...
1. Is there a quick way of typing the notes in from the keyboard (in the same way as you can enter chords into bars on the Notation screen), with default snapping to whole or half note positions?
2. The B P D etc buttons top left presumably indicate the part for which I'm entering the notes. There are 3 Gs but no M (unlike what's shown on the Help screen for this window). I think I'm entering the Melody since when I mouseover the third G it says guitar 3 track Melody. Is this correct and why doesn't the M show?
3. How do I play back my melody on its own from the piano roll? I get all the other instruments playing and so can't hear my melody. I've selected Guitar 3 on the radio button on the top row (instead of Master), but still all tracks play at once.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Marlin #473382 05/18/18 05:42 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marlin,

Welcome back to BIAB!

Originally Posted By: Marlin

I want to step edit adding a melody. I've found I can draw notes onto the piano roll, but this is going to take forever ...
1. Is there a quick way of typing the notes in from the keyboard (in the same way as you can enter chords into bars on the Notation screen), with default snapping to whole or half note positions?

Have a look at Notation Mode and see if this helps. Using this is how I add melody to my songs.

The way I access Notation Mode is by selecting the icon I've highlighted with a red box on the image below. (Note... if your view is not the same as what you see on the image below, use CTRL+T to toggle between standard and full-screen views.)

2. The B P D etc buttons top left presumably indicate the part for which I'm entering the notes. There are 3 Gs but no M (unlike what's shown on the Help screen for this window). I think I'm entering the Melody since when I mouseover the third G it says guitar 3 track Melody. Is this correct and why doesn't the M show?

BIAB track names are now named after the instrument that's present on the track.

This 'automatic naming' can be disabled by de-selecting the options I've highlighted on the image below. These options are found in the opening screen of "Options | Preferences".

I suggest that you do this as it will help make sense of many of the instructions.

With auto-naming disabled, the tracks will revert to BIAB's original, legacy names of Bass, Drums, Piano, Guitar, Strings, Melody and Soloist. These names will be unchanging.

3. How do I play back my melody on its own from the piano roll? I get all the other instruments playing and so can't hear my melody. I've selected Guitar 3 on the radio button on the top row (instead of Master), but still all tracks play at once.

On the mixer, click on the "S" for solo button to isolate a single track (or "M" for muting all other tracks). It might be easier to work in standard view (use CTRL+T to switch views if needed).

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Marlin #473401 05/18/18 06:51 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Welcome to the forum, and welcome back to BIAB. I think we need to hone down what you want to do a little bit more, but in the meantime, here are a few comments:

When you make the adjustment Noel suggests, to keep the track names the original names, you will find that in many ways it operates the same as what you are used to. Also, in BIAB 2017, the interface was changed. Use Ctrl+T to switch back and forth from the new to the old. The old will look more familiar.

As before, melodies you enter should normally be only on the Melody or the Soloist track. Unless you freeze the track, any other instrument will be overwritten.

There is a function called Step Edit the melody. Write back if you want to know more. However, it applies to changing an existing melody, and I think you are asking more about entering one.

One useful trick, also unchanged from what you knew before, is to key in the rhythm of the melody using one key, then in the Editable Notation screen, adjusting the pitch by dragging the note up or down. Very useful for difficult rhythms.

BIAB 2024 Win Audiophile. Software: Studio One 6.5 Pro, Swam horns, Acoustica-7, Notion 6; Win 11 Home. Hardware: Intel i9, 32 Gb; Roland Integra-7, Presonus Studio 192, Presonus Faderport 8, Royer 121, Adam Sub8 & Neumann 120 monitors
Noel96 #473410 05/18/18 07:18 AM
Beginners Forum
w Offline
Expert
Expert
^

Noel,

I have always really like all your explanations especially when you include screen views that highlight the area you are explaining. Wish PG would hire you to write their tutorials and even their in line manuals.

No matter how much i think i know about certain Band features ( albeit Mac version ) i always learn more and retain it longer after reading your postings and make some adjustments for the way it is in Window's Band.

Many thanks.

Mac Audiophile 2020 2019 2018 2017 USB plus previous years versions

macOS Mojave - 10.14.6 @ Aug 16, 2019

iMac i3 3.6 GHz 8GB RAM 4K with Retina display

some examples @ sound cloud done with Mac Band and DAW's : https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
Marlin #473478 05/18/18 01:22 PM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
w,

Thank you. I appreciate your kind words.

All the best,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
w #473534 05/19/18 02:31 AM
Beginners Forum
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted By: w
^

Noel,

I have always really like all your explanations especially when you include screen views that highlight the area you are explaining. Wish PG would hire you to write their tutorials and even their in line manuals.

No matter how much i think i know about certain Band features ( albeit Mac version ) i always learn more and retain it longer after reading your postings and make some adjustments for the way it is in Window's Band.

Many thanks.

+1

Noel, you've got a real talent to explain these things!

Bruce

Macbook Pro 2018
2.6 GHz 6-core Intel Core i7, 16 GB RAM
OS Monterey
BIAB for Mac 2022
Marlin #473645 05/20/18 01:19 AM
Beginners Forum
M
Marlin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Noel, thanks for taking the time to give such comprehensive, clear and useful responses to my questions. That's really very kind.

CTRL+T does indeed show a screen that is more familiar, though even that's more modern and more complicated than the version I had all those years ago. In those days, one of the clickable icons on the menu bas was a hippy with long hair and a headband!

Part of my problem is unfamiliarity with the terminology. The Notation View toggles between what I regard as the 'Bar Chords' page, where I can quickly get the structure of the song laid down, and a 'Music Score' page, where I now easily add a melody, thanks.

The Mixer also appeared after CTRL+T, and this gave me the track 'M' & 'S' buttons I know. Again thanks.

So, next question:

4. I laid down a simple melody with individual sings notes, 4 to the bar. I then decided I wanted to change instruments so I used the mixer desk and right clicked on the instrument name, picked a RealTracks piona that sounded great on audition. I pressed 'play' and it was still the original instrument, so i figued I had to re-generate the song to get the instrument change to take effect... Except that it over-wrote the simple notes of my melody with a virtuoso elaborate piano part. So again I'm missing something here - how to change instruments without getting my original melody over-written?

5. If I use the same method to change to a Midi patch instrument instead. BIAB doggedly hangs onto the original RealTrack instrument. Even if I switch to the Patches tab from the Mixer and use the dropdown, I can change between RealTracks instruments but I can't select a midi patch instead. (Same happens if I right click on the 'Melody' radio button at the top (as per the Help page)).

6. Exporting Midi: If I export a Midi file, playback from Windows is silect, apart from the lead-in count. I'm guessing this is because my song consists of Realtracks and these cannot be 'mapped' to Midi equivalents. If so I'm back to Q5. How do I set Midi intruments to allow a Midi export (MS GS Wavtable and GM2).

7. Exporting MP3: File > Save Special >.mp3> "MySong" > Save... 'Rendering File...' > Select output format [?] > Name = untitled [but I just gave it a name and the dropdown contains nothing... > Save As* > [Format name - "blah"] > OK > MPEG3/56 kb > OK... "Driver cannot do the requested conversion" [very helpful!]. It actually creates an MP3 file called "MySong" (not "Blah"), but it's 0 bytes. *(Same happens if I don't create a 'Format name' and Save As, but just hit OK). The Help topic seems to just cover .wav, which is too big. I can sucessfully export .wma, but this is then OS-dependent, somp3 is what I want.

I have the LAME codec installed and this works fine in Audacity creating MP3 files OK. Does BIAB need a different codec/driver for MP3 creation, or is there something else I'm missing?

Again any help gratefully received. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited by Marlin; 05/20/18 01:43 AM.
Beginners Forum
M
Marlin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks Matt. Noel's reply got me onto the right tack, which then lead to a few more questions (see below)

Marlin #473655 05/20/18 02:26 AM
Beginners Forum
Veteran
Veteran
Hi Marlin,

Glad that we're getting somewhere. Now for your next round of questions...

4. I laid down a simple melody with individual sings notes, 4 to the bar. I then decided I wanted to change instruments so I used the mixer desk and right clicked on the instrument name, picked a RealTracks piano that sounded great on audition. I pressed 'play' and it was still the original instrument, so i figured I had to re-generate the song to get the instrument change to take effect... Except that it over-wrote the simple notes of my melody with a virtuoso elaborate piano part. So again I'm missing something here - how to change instruments without getting my original melody over-written?

Realtracks are studio-recorded instrumental accompaniment riffs. BIAB slices, dices and splices these audio recordings together to fit a chord progression entered by a user.

Because of their design, Realtracks cannot play a melody. If you loaded a Realtrack on the Melody track and then generated, it will overwrite your work.

Any notation you enter can only be played by MIDI.

For this reason, it's always a good idea to save a backup copy of your song once you get notation completed. That way, it's always easy to get back to where things were before they got disturbed. I use the system "Song title 1.mgu", "song title 2.mgu", etc. Because BIAB files take up very little disk space, having multiple files is inconsequential (I'm presently up to 47 for the current composition I'm working on).

5. If I use the same method to change to a Midi patch instrument instead. BIAB doggedly hangs onto the original RealTrack instrument. Even if I switch to the Patches tab from the Mixer and use the dropdown, I can change between RealTracks instruments but I can't select a midi patch instead. (Same happens if I right click on the 'Melody' radio button at the top (as per the Help page)).

A MIDI patch will not overwrite a Realtrack. It's necessary to right-click on the Realtrack in the mixer and then select "Track Actions" followed by "Erase track". This will clear the Realtrack. Unfortunately your melody will also be gone because the (re)generate has overwritten it.

As mentioned above, it's worthwhile saving multiple copies of a file when you first get it to a workable stage. This makes getting things back as they were much easier.

6. Exporting Midi: If I export a Midi file, playback from Windows is silent, apart from the lead-in count. I'm guessing this is because my song consists of Realtracks and these cannot be 'mapped' to Midi equivalents. If so I'm back to Q5. How do I set Midi intruments to allow a Midi export (MS GS Wavtable and GM2).

Realtracks are audio, not MIDI. This is why you are not getting any sound. That said, if a Realtrack has notation associated with it, it's possible to export a MIDI interpretation.

Go to the link below for a thorough explanation on how to do this.

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=451355#Post451355

7. Exporting MP3: File > Save Special >.mp3> "MySong" > Save... 'Rendering File...' > Select output format [?] > Name = untitled [but I just gave it a name and the dropdown contains nothing... > Save As* > [Format name - "blah"] > OK > MPEG3/56 kb > OK... "Driver cannot do the requested conversion" [very helpful!]. It actually creates an MP3 file called "MySong" (not "Blah"), but it's 0 bytes. *(Same happens if I don't create a 'Format name' and Save As, but just hit OK). The Help topic seems to just cover .wav, which is too big. I can sucessfully export .wma, but this is then OS-dependent, somp3 is what I want.

I have the LAME codec installed and this works fine in Audacity creating MP3 files OK. Does BIAB need a different codec/driver for MP3 creation, or is there something else I'm missing?

Again any help gratefully received. Thanks for your patience.

You've answered your question well.

Because of propriety software issues, BIAB doesn't come with its own MP3 codec. Rather, it uses what codec Windows has installed.

K-Lite codecs will install a suitable one for BIAB to use.

https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

I used to have that installed but when I changed computers I did not bother. I prefer to use "FreAc" a freeware audio convertor because it gives me much more control over the end product.

https://www.freac.org/

Hope this helps,
Noel

MY SONGS...
Audiophile BIAB 2024
Marlin #473764 05/21/18 02:15 AM
Beginners Forum
M
Marlin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Noel, thanks again for your help.

I now understand that if I select a RealTrack instrument as my Melody instrument it will not play my existing melody but will generate its own. A bit counter-intuitive, since all I'm efectively doing is changing a patch, but it obviously runs deeper than that so I just have to accept it.

I also understand that Realtracks will not be able to be saved as Midi unless they have an associated RealChart to provide the mapping. Thanks for the explanation and the link.

I'll chase down the codec(s) you suggest for exporting mp3, thanks.

A bit more tricky changing the Patch to Midi... until I realised that it's not done via the rather obvious 'Select Midi Instrument (Patch)' item on the right-click menu, which does not work, but via the slightly less intuitive 'Select Custom Midi Style for this Track'. Only snag is, with the latter I can select from the GM set, but with the former I can also access the GM2 extended set. I wanted a midi Ukulele for the track, but cannot see how to get one.

Not sure I understand the purpose of the 'Select Midi Instrument (Patch)' option if you can't use it, but Ii'm probably missing something (again!)

thanks again for your guidance.

Marlin #473765 05/21/18 02:43 AM
Beginners Forum
Expert
Expert
Hi Martin

Just a quickie stating the obvious .
To use the midi patches you need to be using a midi style track. These come up with yellow text in the mixer.
By default these are listed after all the real styles (coloured green) in the style picker but you can change this behaviour. or filter for midi styles,
Just a thought
Mike

BIAB2021 UltraPlus,AsusN55S1Tbssd, W10/64,Akai EIEpro
Yamaha CVP405,SquireStrat, CoolsoftVMidSynth
Novatation Impulse61 Ctr kbd, Cwalk blab Kontakt

http://mikesmusic.byethost16.com/
Marlin #473768 05/21/18 03:47 AM
Beginners Forum
M
Marlin Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Mike thanks - and it's not stating the obvious for me, as 20 years ago BIAB didn't have RealTracks or RealStyles - it was just Midi back then, so I feel I've got a pretty steep learning curve to get up.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Go To

Link Copied to Clipboard
ChatPG

Ask sales and support questions about Band-in-a-Box using natural language.

ChatPG's knowledge base includes the full Band-in-a-Box User Manual and sales information from the website.

PG Music News
Update Your PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 Today!

Add updated printing options, enhanced tracks settings, smoother use of MGU and SGU (BB files) within PowerTracks, and more with the latest PowerTracks Pro Audio 2024 update!

Learn more about this free update for PowerTracks Pro Audio & download it at www.pgmusic.com/support_windows_pt.htm#2024_5

The Newest RealBand 2024 Update is Here!

The newest RealBand 2024 Build 5 update is now available!

Download and install this to your RealBand 2024 for updated print options, streamlined loading and saving of .SGU & MGU (BB) files, and to add a number of program adjustments that address user-reported bugs and concerns.

This free update is available to all RealBand 2024 users. To learn more about this update and download it, head to www.pgmusic.com/support.realband.htm#20245

The Band-in-a-Box® Flash Drive Backup Option

Today (April 5) is National Flash Drive Day!

Did you know... not only can you download your Band-in-a-Box® Pro, MegaPAK, or PlusPAK purchase - you can also choose to add a flash drive backup copy with the installation files for only $15? It even comes with a Band-in-a-Box® keychain!

For the larger Band-in-a-Box® packages (UltraPAK, UltraPAK+, Audiophile Edition), the hard drive backup copy is available for only $25. This will include a preinstalled and ready to use program, along with your installation files.

Backup copies are offered during the checkout process on our website.

Already purchased your e-delivery version, and now you wish you had a backup copy? It's not too late! If your purchase was for the current version of Band-in-a-Box®, you can still reach out to our team directly to place your backup copy order!

Note: the Band-in-a-Box® keychain is only included with flash drive backup copies, and cannot be purchased separately.

Handy flash drive tip: Always try plugging in a USB device the wrong way first? If your flash drive (or other USB plug) doesn't have a symbol to indicate which way is up, look for the side with a seam on the metal connector (it only has a line across one side) - that's the side that either faces down or to the left, depending on your port placement.

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows® Today!

Update your Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows for free with build 1111!

With this update, there's more control when saving images from the Print Preview window, we've added defaults to the MultiPicker for sorting and font size, updated printing options, updated RealTracks and other content, and addressed user-reported issues with the StylePicker, MIDI Soloists, key signature changes, and more!

Learn more about this free update for Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows at www.pgmusic.com/support_windowsupdates.htm#1111

Band-in-a-Box® 2024 Review: 4.75 out of 5 Stars!

If you're looking for a in-depth review of the newest Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows version, you'll definitely find it with Sound-Guy's latest review, Band-in-a-Box® 2024 for Windows Review: Incredible new capabilities to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs.

A few excerpts:
"The Tracks view is possibly the single most powerful addition in 2024 and opens up a new way to edit and generate accompaniments. Combined with the new MultiPicker Library Window, it makes BIAB nearly perfect as an 'intelligent' composer/arranger program."

"MIDI SuperTracks partial generation showing six variations – each time the section is generated it can be instantly auditioned, re-generated or backed out to a previous generation – and you can do this with any track type. This is MAJOR! This takes musical experimentation and honing an arrangement to a new level, and faster than ever."

"Band in a Box continues to be an expansive musical tool-set for both novice and experienced musicians to experiment, compose, arrange and mix songs, as well as an extensive educational resource. It is huge, with hundreds of functions, more than any one person is likely to ever use. Yet, so is any DAW that I have used. BIAB can do some things that no DAW does, and this year BIAB has more DAW-like functions than ever."

Convenient Ways to Listen to Band-in-a-Box® Songs Created by Program Users!

The User Showcase Forum is an excellent place to share your Band-in-a-Box® songs and listen to songs other program users are creating!

There are other places you can listen to these songs too! Visit our User Showcase page to sort by genre, artist (forum name), song title, and date - each listing will direct you to the forum post for that song.

If you'd rather listen to these songs in one place, head to our Band-in-a-Box® Radio, where you'll have the option to select the genre playlist for your listening pleasure. This page has SoundCloud built in, so it won't redirect you. We've also added the link to the Artists SoundCloud page here, and a link to their forum post.

We hope you find some inspiration from this amazing collection of User Showcase Songs!

Congratulations to the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

We've just announced the 2023 User Showcase Award Winners!

There are 45 winners, each receiving a Band-in-a-Box 2024 UltraPAK! Read the official announcement to see if you've won.

Our User Showcase Forum receives more than 50 posts per day, with people sharing their Band-in-a-Box songs and providing feedback for other songs posted.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed!

Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics81,585
Posts734,718
Members38,500
Most Online2,537
Jan 19th, 2020
Newest Members
Tusar Sarkar, RTW, wtsy365, DerFlex, xabialonso259@gmai
38,499 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
MarioD 197