Better safe than sorry. What you have sounds nasty if antimalwaremalware didn't find it. I'd update the antimalware and run again in safe mode. It keeps prett current and a couple days can make a difference; I've seen that happen on a firends machine.

Is there a chance the external drive is indected? Can't rule it out.
If the problem comes back that's one thing to suspect.

I'd unhook it for a couple days after fixing, see if everything seems OK, then pay attention after hooking it back up.. if it comes back you know there's an issue.

You don't show any unusual services running in task manager?
I often start looking for clues on what the infection is right there in taskmanager. Google the processes, and see what it is. Be careful where you go to check, as some of the sites that turn up will offer to run a 'free scan'... and you probably want to avoid that.

Personally I'd google that url too and see if others reported problems related to it.
Also, I'd search BitDefender support to see if there is a way to check that behavior.

Reformatting often results in a loss of a lot of data, and I try to avoid that first, even if time is a factor. Depends on how recent your backup was.

I looked at the main home page for that URL you showed previousy and it has a script to write the URL into favorites right away if IE is browser, then forcibly using a command common in other browsers using javascript before the page even loads. Then it runs some php commands I didn't want to try to follow. Pretty nasty site there for both pages I looked at the code for ..

Last edited by rharv; 04/07/11 01:21 PM.

Make your sound your own!
.. I do not work here, but the benefits are still awesome