Quote:

... the point I was trying to make is that with a 2.1 system either the low frequency unit handles some of the mid range, in which case that's mono, or it only handles the very low frequencies which leaves the tweeter having to deal with everything else.
From an intuitive standpoint tweeters look pretty tiny - can they really dish ut the mid-range? Way back in the old days, I seem to remember having a mid-range speaker in there too.
...Alternatively get a 2.1 system, but I guess I'm a bit picky about losing sound quality.

After a lot of trial and error, research, and advice from folks here at PG, my choice was easy.
If you want premium sound, go with a subwoofer and satellites.

If you want maximum flexibility, go with a subwoofer and satellites. Adjusting the position of the speakers relative to each other, relative to the room, and relative to the listener gives you optimum control of your sound.

If you want excellent audio performance in both near-field applications, and with room-filling sound, go with a subwoofer and satellites

If you want maximum audio performance per unit of cost, go with a subwoofer and satellites.

I use Cambridge SoundWorks - the ones produced before the name was purchased by Creative Labs. As with Logitech 2.1 systems, all the models from Cambridge SoundWorks sound spectacular, with the larger systems simply able to supply quality audio at higher levels.

Working with a 2.1 system requires some learning, some experimentation with placement, and most of all - a willingness to let go of pre-conceptions regarding how a speaker system should look.

just looking for clues...
Oren.
http://www.masteringmatters.com