In all my years of home recording and learning about midi, etc, I still have what I can only attribute to a mental block regarding certain signal flow issues. I know there are some Midi / Audio interfaces that are basically a fancy patch bay albeit some with fx and pre amps etc. These units basically direct signal flow from a guitar or mic and or midi keyboard into the computer sound card or VSC or Coyote.

I have seen write ups for midi / audio interfaces such as some focusrite models that sound as though they are complete recording systems in and of themselves and would work thru Real band or similar recording software such as cubase etc, even if my computer had no sound source of its own.

There are cards like the 2496 that have both midi and audio that plug into your computer so all of your sounds coming out of the computer speakers are coming from that card.

My confusion is this; Is there a stand alone sound source that will do both midi and audio so that I would not even need a computer except to operate the software program like cubase, or powertracks etc. Something with drivers that will allow me to switch between the computer sounds system if so desired or take it out of the loop entirely. I can do it with midi ie; the ketron,or similar, I can use a digital recorder arranger like the Boss or roland or even some of the new workstation keyboards.

What I am looking for is a sound module that will accept signal from Real Band etc both midi and audio and play it through speakers or phones, without coloring the sound. The realtec isn't all that bad but i'd like to upgrade somewhat and get better midi etc. All in one unit that also acts as an interface / mixer.

Whew./

Any input is appreciated.

Rob