Quote:

Want to put up a fence in YOUR yard...you need a permit. (permission)

Because your fence doesn't just impact your property but your neighbor's property as well.
Quote:

Want to cut hair? You need a license. (please don't come back with..."we gotta make sure you can do it.")

Well, that is exactly what you have to come back with. Someone who doesn't know how to do it properly can spread disease, and cause harm with dangerous chemicals that are used by the profession. By your logic we shouldn't license Physicians and Lawyers, because, well, the bad ones will not get enough customers to stay in business. Quite often the professional associations lobby for regulation to keep amatuers and quacks from giving the whole profession a black eye.
Quote:

Want to get married? You need a license. WTF???

Probably has something to do with the states not wanting Omar to marry off his 8 year old daughter to a 60 year old geezer for monetary consideration. At least it keeps a couple of 12 year olds from getting married to each other.
Quote:

If the gov. thinks it knows what the best use of YOUR land is...they can take it!

Actually the founders wrote that into the Constituion....in an amendment at least. Its called eminent domain.
Quote:

Want to drill a well on YOUR property for water? You need a permit.

As well you should. You share the water table with your neighbors. If you or the person you hire doesn't do it properly you can contaminant the water table for miles around. Folks who drill wells usually also need septic tanks and septic disposal fields for sewage. Place the well improperly in relation to the various componenets of your onsite sewage system and you contaminate the water table for everyone.

The reason that the government got involved in regulating most of this stuff is they saw the harm that was done when it was not regulated and stepped in to take control and maintain standards. Notice also that most of the regulatory action cited is the province and responsibility of the state and local governement, not the federal government, and pretty much all 50 states have developed codes to regulate these activies. It is pretty telling that 50 different state governments came up with the same or similar regulations.

For the record, I've spent the majority of my adult working years working for an agency that regulates onsite sewage, food service to the public, drilling of wells for drinking water, disposal of dead bodies, what you can do with your garbage, how your plumbing needs to be installed, places that take care of your kids, tatoo parlors, public swimming pools, exposure to second hand smoke, and yes, facilities that cut hair. There is no way that I would advocate total freedom to do whatever you want in any of these areas. Your hair would curl if you saw some of the things I've seen people try to do....And I get to see behind the curtain because of my regulatory authority, John Q. Public doesn't get to see the incompetence and lack of concern for consequences to others that I get to see.

Keith
2024 Audiophile Windows 11 AMD RYZEN THREADRIPPER 3960X 4.5GHZ 128 GB RAM 2 Nvidia RTX 3090s, Vegas,Acid,SoundForge,Izotope Production,Melodyne Studio,Cakewalk,Raven Mti