Quote:

Over here the cops don't need probable cause, they can pull anyone over at any time & breath test them. Random breath testing.
Often a number of police cars will line up on a road and pull a line of cars over & breath test every driver. They don't use the plastic tubes & bags anymore, it's a small handheld machine (similar to a multimeter) that you must speak into (usually a count from one to ten.)

Very similar laws here. I've been through at least two roadblocks. First they ask you a few questions and look you over carefully. If there are any suspicions, you would be "invited" to step out and produce your op's license. Then if you fumble a bit more, they might ask for the vehicle registration, while further sizing you up. The law requires that the op license be carried while driving and the vehicle registration must be produced within 24 hours.

If you fumble some more, the "invitation" to a small breathalyzer test is offered. If you refuse the offer, you get a free car ride to the station. Then it gets worse.

Glenn

PS: On both occasions, they sized me up, and said, "have a good evening sir". I don't ever drink and drive. Too dumb and potentially far too expensive.

Getting serious about drunk drivers has taken a long time, and hopefully the "good ol' boys" will catch up with reality. Serious drunk driving that results in another person's death, is sometimes called manslaughter or criminal negligence, not an infringement of the drunk's freedoms.