Quote:

My question is can they realistically be used in real time playing or just when you render?
I would love to use some of the Garritan instruments when playing my midi wind instrument real-time.

Tim

Yes, real time playing is the reason ASIO was invented. ASIO allows you to reduce the latency delay to acceptable levels when you play live using a soft synth.

Also, you made a comment about Garritan using the mod wheel for volume. Soft synths are usually played using a keyboard controller, some use a wind or guitar controller. You could use your Tyros for that too. Good controllers of any type have both a pitch and mod wheel, some like Roland use a X/Y joystick so one control does both pitch and modulation. Those two controllers are placed next to each other to the left of the keyboard for a reason. It's much easier to play your part with your right hand and use the controls with your left for the articulations. Much better than trying coordinate a volume pedal with your foot and your left hand for pitch while playing the part with your right hand. People do it all kinds of ways of course but primarily it's as I described for live playing. You can record the articulations after the fact but to me anyway, you lose the feel you get when you're doing the whole thing in one shot.

In these forums people are understandably focused on how to use these things in Biab. Biab is not designed for something like Garritan except for the basic sounds, you should use a sequencer like Real Band or Sonar for recording all those nuances with a keyboard controller.

Bob

Biab/RB latest build, Win 11 Pro, Ryzen 5 5600 G, 512 Gig SSD, 16 Gigs Ram, Steinberg UR22 MkII, Roland Sonic Cell, Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK1, Korg PA3XPro, Garritan JABB, Hypercanvas, Sampletank 3, more.