To the viewing public - nothing secret going on between Matt and myself I just didn't want to embarrass myself in public - he prevented that.

Back to the issue

After re-reading all the posts I think I lost the bubble on where/what drivers Tonnie was able to actually install with CONFIRMED communication between the SC-8820 and Win 7. Regardless, the point I was trying to make was, while in this developmental/discovery phase of how to get it to work in BIAB, to ensure at beginning of a BIAB song that the SC-8820 was actually in "native" GM2 or at least GS mode and not some "weird" unresponsive mode caused by initial selection of something like a Yama PSR or Korg device in the "synth/sound card" menu.

And FWIW with repect to PAT files: Tonnie look in the BIAB Help file under " Patches on Higher Banks" it explains it better than I did and with pictures to boot!

As a side note, since I moved to Win 7 64 I haven't spent much time trying to get the Roland USB or Serial (ZERO success on serial drivers so I dual boot for that) drivers to work because I run all my external MIDI equipment using multiple MIDI patch bays (via a lot of 5-Pin DIN MIDI cables). It gives me much better flex, control, and situational awareness over my external equipment.

The drawback is I can't use all 64 parts of my SC-8850 over MIDI cables, I can only access half (32 total using the two MIDI ins on the SC-8850). In my case the loss of those additional 32 parts is immaterial, I don't really use the SC-8850 for more than quick scratch work and not even much of that. I have availalbe more synth's with more total polyphony then I will ever realistically use.

However, in Tonnie's case, over standard MIDI cables the SC-8820 can only address the first 16 multitimbral parts that's a loss of 50% of available parts so I can appreciated the "ouch" factor.

Good Luck tonnie

Larry

Win10Pro,i9,64GB,2TBSSD+20TBHDDs,1080TI,BIAB'24,Scarlett18i8,Montage7,Fusion 8HD,QS8,Integra7,XV5080,QSR,SC-8850,SPLAT,FL21&others,Komp.14,IK suite&others, just a guitar player-AXE FX III &FM9T, FishmanTP, MIDIGuitar2, GK2/3'sw/GI20