Ahhh...so it sounds like they are alternate ways of doing the same thing, and the VSTs may very well support both.

I had once asked in another post about about VST's compatible with RB, and gotten a great list. I think the next logical post would be which VST's support Program Change Events, or MSB/LSB, or both - and which are the 'easiest to use'.

On that note - perhaps also a suggestion regarding a separate board on using VST's with RB. Of course, that opens the box for VST only questions once they are compatible with RB. I think though, it is a topic that would interest a lot of people using RB.

One of my goals has been to be able to use a guitar synth to control VST's, and know and understand how to change the sounds as easily with a 'stomp box'. In this pursuit, I have realized that the MIDI sequencer and CC/program change events are the glue that would allow me to do this. I've also learned why it may be easier to just buy dedicated hardware devices to do the same, because finding all the interesting sounds you may actually want to utilize, and easily managing them in a live performance, is quite a hassle requiring lots of preparation. I know there are MIDI switch controllers that can be programmed to send MIDI CC's and Program change requests, but I don't think these interfaces display the names of the patches programmed in such a useable way - and if so, I would guess the fancy digital display would cost big bucks.

I think RB VST support has rekindled my early childhood fantasies of being a keyboard 'synth player', and controlling all those cool early analog sounds (loved the synth sounds in groups like the cars, and that one hit wonder Thomas Dolby had with 'She Blinded me with Science', Peter Gabriel, and Yes, and....well, I digress.