Quote:

<...>
I don't think I've ever heard (or don't recall ever hearing) Andy Williams sing falsetto. I knew he had range, but, my goodness!

After 2:35 this vocal is extraordinary. <...>
That's not just extraordinary, that's mind boggling.

Not only would I have had the same reaction that you and your wife did in the restaurant, I had that reaction just listening to it on the computer and knowing something was coming after 2:00.<...>

At the key change, it seems like he is going to do the standard, bring it up, sing louder, put more edge on your voice, get higher, and belt it out.

But the orchestra gets louder, he goes into falsetto, makes his voice soft and round and as he goes higher he gets softer and rounder making the listener lean into and almost strain to hear him. Then the last note he is almost buried in the orchestra and at the end of the final chord you can hear his release. There is nothing to do then but hold your breath for an instant.

I knew Andy was a good singer. He was from the old school, before auto-tune, multi-track and fix it in the mix. Most of the singers of that generation, Sinatra, Steve Lawrence, Vic Damone, June Christy, Peggy Lee, and so on had decent to excellent chops. But pop music is pop music singers and instrumentalists don't always get to show off what we can do. In this song he showed us he is truly an artist.

Bob "Notes" Norton smile Norton Music
https://www.nortonmusic.com

100% MIDI Super-Styles recorded by live, pro, studio musicians for a live groove
& Fake Disks for MIDI and/or RealTracks