Joe,

I challenge you to take your favorite song from one of your list of bands, and simply start the process by listening through the whole song several times and just list all of the various instruments.

For example, The Eagles' "Take It Easy", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEzTdBJUHO8 on my first listen through I heard the following:

1. At least two different acoustic guitars
2. At least two different electric guitars
3. Bass
4. Drums
5. Banjo
6. Lead Vox
7. Harmony Vox, possibly 3 part in some sections - some are sung words, some are 'oohs'

Now, for each of those parts there are specific details that would help me play/arrange/record them, dedicate a track in my DAW project for them.

Let's begin to break down the song. Just looking at one part - I'm listening through again to try to isolate what I hear for that part.

I'll select the 2nd electric guitar that I hear. I'm talking about the electric guitar that is isolated to the right track - listen close, there's a slow arppegiated part twang through verses and choruses, which disappears somewhat in the mix at the instrumental - but it's still there. Panned hard right I would guess if I could hit the solo button on the mixer! It has a little bit of chorus on it and some reverb. Sits pretty far back in the mix. It doubles up on the hook riffs, but still sitting far back in the mix.

Can you hear that same part when you listen through? I picked that because I think it's one of the more subtle arrangement and mix choices that the producer/arranger made. But it adds without being obvious.

If so, write down notes like the above for what you hear - for each of the parts that are there. Write them out section by section of the song. You then have the framework of the arrangement for that song. Use it as a ghost song framework for your own song.

Why is it important to develop this kind of a skill as a composer/arranger?

How many times have I listened to this song in my lifetime? Hundreds of times, likely. I never noticed the banjo before. Not until doing what I call Critical Listening (perhaps others call it this as well).

In so doing, I heard an instrument in the song that was never obvious to me before. Now a banjo player would pick that out probably first time through.

But if I were to set out to do my own cover track of this Eagles tune, you can be darn sure I would have a RealTrack (or hire one of my banjo playing friends) to have that part in there.

I also know that to get an authentic reproduction, I'm gonna need more than one track for electric guitars. Whether I play it, hire it out, use a RealTrack or other, I'm gonna have to nail that in the arrangement.

etc.

Pay attention to where stuff drops out as well. Just as important as putting it in. This particular song doesn't have much dynamics - there's no significantly quieter section. In this regard, it's rather boring. It's kind of in your face the whole length of the song. People say there are no dynamics in modern music - well here's a classic country rock tune with almost no dynamics either.

-Scott

(Edit: I realize that calling this megahit 'boring' I may have angered some - but I'm just calling it as I hear it - sorry if anyone found it offensive)

Last edited by rockstar_not; 07/09/13 10:26 AM.