Quote:
Try going into that very same venue and instead of giving away free music, try giving away free drinks to the customers and see how long you last.

When I was a kid, we tried to sell some pineapples we grew in front of the local Kwik Check grocery store. The manager came out and gave us a lecture telling us he would rather not call the police to get us to stop.

This is an excellent point. It stands up well to logical scrutiny, but not to practical application. The fact is that establishments have the clout to make you stop competing against them on their own turf, but musicians have no clout to crack down on other musicians who undermine their livelihood by playing for free.

Which puts the scenario squarely back in the realm of change that we can't control, we can only adapt to it.

or not

And, Notes, to me you are the poster child of adaptation... at every change point along the way you have accurately sized up the situation and taken whatever path gave you an advantage. Most of my current opinions about the viability of music going forward are based on your posts here. Not everybody has the insight to see past what is currently true and focus on what COULD be true... but you are one who has that ability.